• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay surely I’m not the only clown who had no idea that Constellation’s least interesting character (doesn’t mean much) Walter Stroud was in fact 1/2 of Stroud Eklund corporation?

I feel like such a doofus, lol.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Got an ending. This is almost certainly my last game from this studio, particularly if they aren't interested in changing up their world-building team (lead by the same guy since OBL). Like, it is shocking how little Bethesda have iterated on their approach to either game design or storytelling in the last 20 years or so. Despite some interesting ideas (and I think the second half of the story or last third or whatever should have been THEE story, not this bullshit "Welcome to Constellation" garbage), this is one of the dumbest, most navel gazing experiences I've had in a videogame.

. . .which is to say nothing about just how uninspired the world of the Settled Systems is. Honestly, once all the release hype has died down (and with the game trending down on STEAM I doubt we're far off) this is going to get savaged as easily the worst that Bethesda has done. Which is saying a lot as I've played all of their previous games (including FO76) and enjoyed the hell out of them - warts and all.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Any suggestions to play stealthy?

Even with a suppressed weapon it notifies everyone around me lol

I also have a chameleon clothing but it's only while standing still

clarky

Gold Member
Got an ending. This is almost certainly my last game from this studio, particularly if they aren't interested in changing up their world-building team (lead by the same guy since OBL). Like, it is shocking how little Bethesda have iterated on their approach to either game design or storytelling in the last 20 years or so. Despite some interesting ideas (and I think the second half of the story or last third or whatever should have been THEE story, not this bullshit "Welcome to Constellation" garbage), this is one of the dumbest, most navel gazing experiences I've had in a videogame.

. . .which is to say nothing about just how uninspired the world of the Settled Systems is. Honestly, once all the release hype has died down (and with the game trending down on STEAM I doubt we're far off) this is going to get savaged as easily the worst that Bethesda has done. Which is saying a lot as I've played all of their previous games (including FO76) and enjoyed the hell out of them - warts and all.
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Its definitely a love it or hate it game.

Approaching 70 hours now and level 27 ish myself and not even remotely close to "finishing" the game, if that's even possible.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Any suggestions to play stealthy?

Even with a suppressed weapon it notifies everyone around me lol

I also have a chameleon clothing but it's only while standing still
Don’t bother with stealth (other than challenges) till you max the skill and have the suppressed weapons to back it up. It’s just not going to work very well otherwise, similar to Fallout 4 where you couldn’t really get good at stealth without collecting the magazines, upgrading the perks, and getting to the level to unlock the perks in the perk tree (that were level locked) as well as the suppressor attachment for the weapon’s themselves.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Its definitely a love it or hate it game.

Approaching 70 hours now myself and not even remotely close to "finishing" the game, if that's even possible.

Honestly, going "insterstellar" was a poor choice for them. Same with trying to tell a "grounded" story with humanity. "Modern" Bethesda does well with weird; there isn't enough weird in this game to mask their narrative shortcomings. Like as dumb as the story was in FO4, being able to kill mudcrabs or going on an adventure with a robot detective made up for that. No you weren't getting complex stories (well usually), but at least you were getting enjoyable ones.

By going "hard sci-fi" here, Bethesda wades into territory they just aren't good at. You combine more human storytelling with an incredibly wide design space - and that is a recipe for disaster.

. . .that isn't to say there's nothing to like in this game (I played it for well over 100HRS and am contemplating doing NG+), it's just the beat to beat stuff is so boring.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This game really is fucking amazing. Christ.

Christ.

yYVjy8B.png

SteamDB has increased to 313k, the weekend crowd is logging in .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is there a quest that takes you there? ive been holding off on going, thinking that would be the case.

I got one of those Activity missions via a book I read which tasked me to go to London. I haven't gone there yet though.

Had no idea I could change companion outfits. Already got Serah in a cool army tank top outfit.

EXCUSE ME ?

Any outfit or just fixed ones ?

wtf I had no idea ..

Last edited:

Man I could not disagree more - respect the opinion the opinion tho

clarky

Gold Member
J6M9HI3.png

This game is killing me. The amount of loading screens in hub areas is ridiculous. Surely, surely you're able to render both the dancefloor and the vip area of the Aurora Lounge in one go? It's literally five rooms with nothing going on.

The technical choices they made are utterly bizarre at times.
Xbox or PC? On my PC most loads are literally 1 second.

But yeah they could have cut some of this loading by a ton surely?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I’m still rolling solo even though I’ve got a full ship (Sam and the daughter 😒, Sarah 😒, Andreja 😏 and my #1 fan 😬)

Andreja definitely seems the least bothersome. And I’ve got that Empath perk so I’m just magnetic to these people because I simply understand all of their trials and tribulations 😌

DeaDPo0L84

Tried combat after installing this mod and it's the first time I had to actually pay attention to what I was doing during a firefight, makes it so much more fun. It can only get better from here after being tweaked.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think something might be wrong with my game / save? I just got to New Atlantis, and everyone there is openly hostile and just shoots and easily kills me. I can get back in my ship, but the only place I can go is some frozen planet I can't land on. Everywhere else says "fast travel not available at this time".

I know in Skyrim you can like block with a shield and the guards will take you to jail or whatever. Is there anything equivalent in this game? I tried a bunch of different button combos and nothing worked - just get killed, reloads last save where I've landed on the planet, get killed again in a seemingly endless loop.

Already put about an hour and a half into this, not super keen on starting over. Maybe it's just the game's way of telling me that this isn't for me...

cormack12

Gold Member
I think something might be wrong with my game / save? I just got to New Atlantis, and everyone there is openly hostile and just shoots and easily kills me. I can get back in my ship, but the only place I can go is some frozen planet I can't land on. Everywhere else says "fast travel not available at this time".

I know in Skyrim you can like block with a shield and the guards will take you to jail or whatever. Is there anything equivalent in this game? I tried a bunch of different button combos and nothing worked - just get killed, reloads last save where I've landed on the planet, get killed again in a seemingly endless loop.

Already put about an hour and a half into this, not super keen on starting over. Maybe it's just the game's way of telling me that this isn't for me...
While they are shooting your hit pause and see what your crime stat says.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member

Sounds like you got a bounty. Try clearing your bounty from a different spot that isn’t hostile like Akilla or Neon, the board to clear it will be in the bars there.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Talk to them to trade gear and trade the gear in question over to them, then go to their inventory select the piece of gear then hit Y (or whatever it says on the bottom for PC for ‘equip’) on the piece of gear for them to equip it.
And you can be easily confused as the game is glitched as you we see YOUR character here when equipping the clothes on to the companion.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Normally that would work, but he can't take off from New Atlantis it seems.
Hmmm otherwise maybe sleep for 24 hours in their ship (or anywhere else), which usually bypasses the hostility period of a bounty...It’s like the bounty system from previous BGS games where you can wait it out and they’ll eventually go non-agressive while still holding the bounty active monetarily.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
While they are shooting your hit pause and see what your crime stat says.
Crime stats show that I had a single lockpick done (I did the tutorial lockpick thingy).

I guess it was a bug that just needed me to restart the game (loading previous saves before didn't work). This time when I booted up the game, the security officers still came rushing towards me, but they just asked if I wanted to go to jail or fight this time. I chose jail to try to break the loop, and that seems to have worked.

I guess the game thought I had a bounty for some reason. I haven't done anything weird that I know of, just following the main quest / tutorial levels, and got assaulted when arriving at New Atlantis for the first time.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Crime stats show that I had a single lockpick done (I did the tutorial lockpick thingy).

I guess it was a bug that just needed me to restart the game (loading previous saves before didn't work). This time when I booted up the game, the security officers still came rushing towards me, but they just asked if I wanted to go to jail or fight this time. I chose jail to try to break the loop, and that seems to have worked.

I guess the game thought I had a bounty for some reason. I haven't done anything weird that I know of, just following the main quest / tutorial levels, and got assaulted when arriving at New Atlantis for the first time.

DQi_M-xXkAU6Dmz

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member

If you hit start, then hit Y in the main menu it will go to: ’status’, then if you follow the list down to the bottom of the list to ‘crime’ you can see your largest bounty vs your lifetime bounty…granted mine doesn’t make any sense when you look at the numbers so it doesn’t surprise me it might be fucked:

0aiwp4V.jpg

My ‘total lifetime bounty’ is lower than my ‘largest’…

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Luipadre

J6M9HI3.png

This game is killing me. The amount of loading screens in hub areas is ridiculous. Surely, surely you're able to render both the dancefloor and the vip area of the Aurora Lounge in one go? It's literally five rooms with nothing going on.

The technical choices they made are utterly bizarre at times.

Thankfully it just fade to black and a 1 sec loading, but seemles would be better for sure

Top Bottom