• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
The 100 days for 24 hours on Venus is just maths : 1 hour on Venus is 100 UT hours (100/24 = 4.17 days), so 24 Venus hours is 2400 UT hours is 100 UT days (4.17 * 24 or 2400 / 24)
This for example is on Venus :

WoY2BsN.png

If I set the slider all the way to the right to sleep 24 hours, it says it will last 2400 UT hours UT.
I did not try waiting/sleeping though, only checking the time and did not validate.
Yeah, when you go and actually do the 24 hour wait it goes forward roughly 1:4, but it maybe a ‘cartwheel effect‘ and it just hits the same numbers split on a 24 hour clock but actually going months ahead.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Nice and girthy.

I'm tackling my first ship build tonight. I really need to understand bases, ships and cargo better. I've been tucking my wares away on my crew and being incumbered sucks ass. Time to streamline.

Also I have to stop picking up all the shit everywhere.

Yeah, this very much a learn as I go process. I was determined to actually get something done this time after starting and giving up at least 10 times before. I made it very wide to have a big open area inside.

uOgCHd4.jpg

6M8gm5O.jpg

oaR1RFQ.jpg

ewJojRc.jpg

I5wbL88.jpg

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
All these companions are fucking whack. I just dismissed Andrejah because even she is supremely dull.

The way they all go from "who are you" to "omg you're my best friend and the most amazing person and I love you" in like 15 minutes of playtime is ridiculous. I had Sarah Morgan reminisce about our stellar adventures when I barely did two quests with her as a companion. I mean, what the fuck are you even talking about? It's all so artificial and they all are in the lawful good territory of personality. Not a single one is chaotic good, let alone neutral or evil. They're all goody two shoes. How boring is that?

And all the excessive "hey, if you have a moment I'd like to talk to you". I've had four companions and they all follow the exact same trajectory: do two quests, say they want to talk if you have a minute, open up with some random personal bullshit you don't care about, click the "flirt" option and be on your way.

I swear to god I'm gonna give space aids to the entire Constellation crew at this point.
I think the companions are my least favorite part of the game. They have no charisma or sense of humor. Just before this I played through Mass Effect remaster and man, it’s really making me miss Wrex, Garrus, and Mordin.

Feels like you have a nagging parent looking over your shoulder scolding you whenever you do the wrong thing and patronizingly heaping praises on you when you’re a good boy.

lol I had one scene where
I chose to jokingly give Mateo shit because I found 3 artifacts and he has 0 so far. He laughs and says he likes friendly competition, then Andreja and Noel both butt in and start scolding him about how we can’t have any competition even if it’s friendly. He’s like “well I find that some friendly competition can help to bring out the best in each other” then they shoot him down some more.
definitely has the stink of modern woke writing to it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think the companions are my least favorite part of the game. They have no charisma or sense of humor. Just before this I played through Mass Effect remaster and man, it’s really making me miss Wrex, Garrus, and Mordin.

Feels like you have a nagging parent looking over your shoulder scolding you whenever you do the wrong thing and patronizingly heaping praises on you when you’re a good boy.

I chose to jokingly give Mateo shit because I found 3 artifacts and he has 0 so far. He laughs and says he likes friendly competition, then Andreja and Noel both butt in and start scolding him about how we can’t have any competition even if it’s friendly. He’s like “well I find that some friendly competition can help to bring out the best in each other” then they shoot him down some more.
definitely has the stink of modern woke writing to it.
You will be browbeaten into a nice submissive boy by your betters and you will like it! In between casually killing hundreds of people and hoovering up their possessions.

Neff

My headcanon for the lack of maps is that society has deemed them problematic due to the fact that men read them as-is and women need to turn them around.

I’d go as far as to say that it’s lacking humanity.

It's certainly a product of its time, despite the deliberate attempt to craft a very old-fashioned sci-fi vibe. A lot of the cast really do feel afraid of having any kind of strong character, although this has always been a problem with Bethesda games to an extent imo.

I chose to jokingly give Mateo shit because I found 3 artifacts and he has 0 so far. He laughs and says he likes friendly competition, then Andreja and Noel both butt in and start scolding him about how we can’t have any competition even if it’s friendly.

Both of their replies stood out, for the wrong reasons. I was actually shocked by how pissy and redundant their contributions were. Kind of wanted to shoot them both right there. Fortunately I'm discovering that the game does have characters who know how to have fun, men and women alike, few and far between as they are.

Sgt.Asher

It's astonishing that they couldn't get a proc gen algorithm for random settlements, it's jarring when points of interest are exactly the same including signs about.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can someone explain how to get Chlorine to Akila in one of the side missions? They want me to supply 750 chlorine to Akila city and when i click on a terminal, it asks me to select an outpost. But even after creating an outpost on a nearby moon that harvests chlorine, i dont see that outpost in that terminal menu.

Do i have to build an outpost on the same planet? how do i create a bridge between that outpost back to Akila city? there are no chlorine deposits in Akila City.

Fess

I wonder if Fess Fess enjoys this part of the game. He's a huge No Man's Sky fan.

I really need to play that game when I'm done with Starfield.
I haven’t done a deep dive on the No Man’s Sky mechanics in Starfield yet but going by the little I’ve seen it’s light compared to NMS.

In general I don’t think the games are similar enough that being a fan of one means you’re going to like the other, they play very differently. So have that in mind when you go try NMS, play it with an open mind.

I’d say that Starfield is more like a more fleshed out Mass Effect with surprisingly deep side activities than a AAA No Man’s Sky with RPG mechanics.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Can someone explain how to get Chlorine to Akila in one of the side missions? They want me to supply 750 chlorine to Akila city and when i click on a terminal, it asks me to select an outpost. But even after creating an outpost on a nearby moon that harvests chlorine, i dont see that outpost in that terminal menu.

Do i have to build an outpost on the same planet? how do i create a bridge between that outpost back to Akila city? there are no chlorine deposits in Akila City.
Sounds like you may have accepted a cargo haul style mission. I just got commissioned for one for 5000 lead.

So I built an extractor outpost on a lead planet and built a power supply for it and 5 storage solid tanks. Now I can go do my own thing for a few days and come back and there will be approximately 150 x5 pieces. Then I'll have to fill up the ship cargo hold, fly there and dock and they will take it from my ship cargo hold. They said it will require multiple drops.

Not sure if your mission is similar. Also there's a way to link outposts across whole systems but I'm not there yet. Also your outpost sometimes doesnt show up on the list in your menu until you also build a habitat, air lock and a crew desk inside. They can still function without any of this though. You just have to manually remember where it is. Make a note somewhere. Also there will be an outpost icon on the galaxy map even without that, next to the system and planet name.

But yeah, your mission could be a different thing I havent done yet.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So I finally did it. Made a ship from scratch. Started with the Frontier ship and deleted just about everything. Didn't want to go too crazy, but I consider this the starting point that I can build on.

Here she is on her maiden voyage. After my alma mater, she is named the War Eagle.

l2vqG6J.png

FCGgYA6.png

8Q2HnEF.png

jprbOCK.jpg

I hope you kept the unique hab that can be only found on the Frontier.

This game is so frustrating. The cities, dungeons(facilities) are great. It's a shame that the world is so segmented. Imaging Fallout 4 where the only way to get to the different parks in Nuka world is to fast travel from a central hub. An easy fix would be just to combine all the different areas on a giving planet into one. You could have one city, a smaller settlement, mining facility etc all on one tile about three times the size of what you have now. Add a moom buggy like vehicle and that would at least make it alot better. I am still having a blast especially when it's in full Bethesda mode though.

Valkyria

Banned
Yeah, this very much a learn as I go process. I was determined to actually get something done this time after starting and giving up at least 10 times before. I made it very wide to have a big open area inside.

uOgCHd4.jpg

6M8gm5O.jpg

oaR1RFQ.jpg

ewJojRc.jpg

I5wbL88.jpg
Which brand are those? The normal stairs I guess are part of the double decker cockpit,doesn’t it?

Fess

This game is so frustrating. The cities, dungeons(facilities) are great. It's a shame that the world is so segmented. Imaging Fallout 4 where the only way to get to the different parks in Nuka world is to fast travel from a central hub. An easy fix would be just to combine all the different areas on a giving planet into one. You could have one city, a smaller settlement, mining facility etc all on one tile about three times the size of what you have now. Add a moom buggy like vehicle and that would at least make it alot better. I am still having a blast especially when it's in full Bethesda mode though.
70 hours and I’ve still not found a wall on a planet so the segmented world talk is not really interesting for me anymore. If they added vehicles or ability to fly a spaceship over the surface it would be a bigger problem since the walls would be noticed.

However, one major city on a planet is extremely unrealistic and a bad design choice. They should’ve tried to procedurally generate towns, it’s just as important as the generated planet surface imo.

Just to compare, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Hammerfall etc, all The Elder Scrolls games, takes place on the same planet, Nirn. And they all have multiple cities. And that’s still only one continent on Nirn and there are more continents that hasn’t had a game yet.
Starfield is big, but also tiny.

RPS37

Just finished
the moon space port
Should I hop off the main quest and start getting lost soon or keep going for a few more hours?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
70 hours and I’ve still not found a wall on a planet so the segmented world talk is not really interesting for me anymore. If they added vehicles or ability to fly a spaceship over the surface it would be a bigger problem since the walls would be noticed.

However, one major city on a planet is extremely unrealistic and a bad design choice. They should’ve tried to procedurally generate towns, it’s just as important as the generated planet surface imo.

Just to compare, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Hammerfall etc, all The Elder Scrolls games, takes place on the same planet, Nirn. And they all have multiple cities. And that’s still only one continent on Nirn and there are more continents that hasn’t had a game yet.
Starfield is big, but also tiny.

The lore reason is that billions have died on Earth and only a handful of people managed to get evacuated. Humanity never fully recovered.

But yeah I’d love to see procedurally generated settlements like in Daggerfall

GymWolf

Gold Member
Mod it

The ship keeps the Mantis status even after heavy modifications, in fact I’m not sure it’s even attached to a specific module.

Ship is a bit cool just for the fact that some pirates will react to it. Only ship that has this RPG mechanic
I just added better weapons but the vendors still don't have better shields or engines.

I'm never gonna manually mod the ship, i hate spaceship building or modding and the ui seems to be a bit problematic until you learn a bit.

GymWolf

Gold Member
All these companions are fucking whack. I just dismissed Andrejah because even she is supremely dull.

The way they all go from "who are you" to "omg you're my best friend and the most amazing person and I love you" in like 15 minutes of playtime is ridiculous. I had Sarah Morgan reminisce about our stellar adventures when I barely did two quests with her as a companion. I mean, what the fuck are you even talking about? It's all so artificial and they all are in the lawful good territory of personality. Not a single one is chaotic good, let alone neutral or evil. They're all goody two shoes. How boring is that?

And all the excessive "hey, if you have a moment I'd like to talk to you". I've had four companions and they all follow the exact same trajectory: do two quests, say they want to talk if you have a minute, open up with some random personal bullshit you don't care about, click the "flirt" option and be on your way.

I swear to god I'm gonna give space aids to the entire Constellation crew at this point.
It is even more painful coming from bg3.

Jemm

Thanks for the tips but I’ve seen and tried all of that already. If this planet has an ocean then it’s the tiniest little sliver of ocean ever. The closest thing to water I have seen are swimming pool size puddles outside of a random cave.

What kind of building is the one that can give you scanner info on creatures and plants on a planet? I’ve never seen one myself but I have heard they exist. Maybe that’s the only way to 100% this.

I was missing one fauna and needed to find an ocean yesterday to complete survey and finally succeeded after a few landing attempts:
  1. Find a spot on a map that has "Coast" in its description
  2. After landing, open the Surface Map (scanner + RB on controller)
  3. Go towards a flat surface and/or sudden drops of in elevation and you should see the water eventually
Research tower. Ive yet to see one myself

While searching for an ocean, I also stumbled upon an abandoned research tower. However, it wasn't a walk in the park as it was full of relatively tough Va'Ruun zealots. After killing them all, I finally found the computer, but it contained just one trait that I had already scanned.

Well, I got some XP and loot, but I had hoped that the computer would contain all the survey data after all that trouble.

Topher

Gold Member
Which brand are those? The normal stairs I guess are part of the double decker cockpit,doesn’t it?

Primarily Nova Galactic. Yeah, seems so

Edit: Also seems that you can only get that cockpit at the ship services on Titan in the Sol system.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I installed the DLSS3 mod and I may go back to the DLSS 2 mod. The ghosting DLSS3 adds is HORRIBLE.

I ditched the mod because it kept crashing. The performance increase was dramatic but it wasn't worth the hassle.

Still can't believe Bethesda completely ditched Nvidia support. Insane.

I can however recommend anyone to install the neutral LUTs mod, because it clears the game from it's brightness filter and gives a more darker, neutral color tone.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I ditched the mod because it kept crashing. The performance increase was dramatic but it wasn't worth the hassle.

I can however recommend anyone to install the neutral LUTs mod, because it clears the game from its brightness filter and gives a more darker, neutral color tone.
I had crashing problems with an earlier version. I got the newest version (from 9/10) and in Nvidia control panel I set the frame limit to 3 less than my monitor’s refresh rate + turned on VSync, Played all day yesterday with no crashes. I think the framerate limit was what fixed it

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol people trolled me for not fixing the game with mods but it turns out the mods are broken aswell.

So good.gif

This is why devs should do their job instead of modders.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I can however recommend anyone to install the neutral LUTs mod, because it clears the game from it's brightness filter and gives a more darker, neutral color tone.
Link to that mod? I hate the blown out look. The lack of a brightness slider is a big WTF

hinch7

Completed the main story. Its an okay game, but largely dissapointing coming from a big Bethesda title. The shooting mechanics are fun, if a little basic and shallow. And the worlds, missions and places can be very copy paste. The story is fairly basic and not that interesting and that doesn't really get that much better. Same goes for the characters in the game as well. Gameplay wise maybe a bit more up my alley but everything seems a bit of a step down from BGS's other titles. I can't say there are many memorable moments in this game tbh.. well maybe the
NASA mission
which was pretty great.

As for the other things like levelling and progression the game just flat out does not respect your time. And requires you to put significant amount of time into doing challenges within them to get to where'd you'd want to be. Adding to the poor exploration (which I have no interest in with the nothing RNG worlds and same basic buildings it just seems a little bit of a chore. Plus you have the ridiculous amount of load screens and options screens that doesn't feel like you're actually travelling in space of different worlds and instead teleporting everywhere. The space combat is also I didn't find that fun with clunky controls and artificially hard enemies.

The game does things good overall. They bring all the good (and bad) from the Creation Engine. And its fun to mess around in the world(s). And seen a fair share of annoying bugs and also some hilarious ones as you'd expect to see. You can see the inspiritations it took from other games and implemented into theirs (Mass Effect, NMS, Elite Dangerous etc. Even Kingdom Hearts with the ship building) but honestly it just feels like they tried to cram it all in one package and it just doesn't work.

7/10 for me.. or maybe a 6.5 after when the credits roll. Fun game to mess around in but doesn't really leave an impression on completion.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Link to that mod? I hate the blown out look. The lack of a brightness slider is a big WTF
Can confirm it looks so much better with this, especially if you’re on an OLED. Best part is it just removes their awful LUTs instead of trying to compensate for them by monkeying with the brightness/contrast/saturation etc.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
Completed the main story. Its an okay game, but largely dissapointing coming from a big Bethesda title. The shooting mechanics are fun, if a little basic and shallow. And the worlds, missions and places can be very copy paste. The story is fairly basic and not that interesting and that doesn't really get that much better. Same goes for the characters in the game as well. Gameplay wise maybe a bit more up my alley but everything seems a bit of a step down from BGS's other titles. I can't say there are many memorable moments in this game tbh.. well maybe the
NASA mission
which was pretty great.

As for the other things like levelling and progression the game just flat out does not respect your time. And requires you to put significant amount of time into doing challenges within them to get to where'd you'd want to be. Adding to the poor exploration (which I have no interest in with the nothing RNG worlds and same basic buildings it just seems a little bit of a chore. Plus you have the ridiculous amount of load screens and options screens that doesn't feel like you're actually travelling in space of different worlds and instead teleporting everywhere. The space combat is also I didn't find that fun with clunky controls and artificially hard enemies.

The game does things good overall. They bring all the good (and bad) from the Creation Engine. And its fun to mess around in the world(s). And seen a fair share of annoying bugs and also some hilarious ones as you'd expect to see. You can see the inspiritations it took from other games and implemented into theirs (Mass Effect, NMS, Elite Dangerous etc. Even Kingdom Hearts with the ship building) but honestly it just feels like they tried to cram it all in one package and it just doesn't work.

7/10 for me.. or maybe a 6.5 after when the credits roll. Fun game to mess around in but doesn't really leave an impression on completion.

Isn’t the main story there just as filler? I’m looking to that aspect of the game the least I think

Top Bottom