• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Makes sense. I had exactly one point in stealth. I might as well have had a lit up sign over my head that said "look at me!" trying to get through those missions.

It's really great if you are into that deus ex stealth vibe.

Thw last mission took me absolutely ages to not get seen. I had a few cautions where I nearly pood myself but I managed to hide and they never spotted me. Got a nice chunky cred bonus on every mission

XXL

Got to level 21. Did a bit more of the main quest last night. If not for the rewards I would ignore the main quest entirely, not sure why it has to be so bad. Cleared out a few misc side quests, which didn't lead to much of interest. And started the Freestar Ranger questline. So far not much going on with this one but like the UC one I assume it will pick up.

UC has been the highlight so far. Will focus on the big questlines to see if any of the other ones can compare.
Im level 22. My Freestar Rangers quests is bugged and I'm unable to progress it at all. I cant do the Red Mile, it's frustrating.

In general the further I progress the more weird bugs (like that) are popping up. I fast traveled yesterday and dropped out the sky. Lol.

Last edited:

Fess

I really don't know why people think that is a 2023 thing. Been this way for BGS since Morrowind. They haven't changed at all. Their games are always kind of robotic, sterile, calming ambient music, no focus on character animations or charisma but more on lore and the overall world.
Fair enough, I just think it’s weird how nobody seem to know how to design characters with some meat on their bones these days, I don’t understand the reasoning.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It’s crazy. I haven’t even thought about playing another game. I have Armored Core just sitting on my tv stand, still in the GameFly envelope. Zero ambition to play anything else.

My gamefly bookmarks folder is growing and once I am finally done with this game after another 200~ hours, I will have enough games to last me all next summer lol.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It’s crazy. I haven’t even thought about playing another game. I have Armored Core just sitting on my tv stand, still in the GameFly envelope. Zero ambition to play anything else.
It's going to feel like a betrayal of everything I hold sacred to not immediately start Robocop on day 1, but it will be there when I finish.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Let's have the Starfield swimsuit competition folks, place your votes.

Here are your contenders.

Sarah

starfield-2023_09_12-xtdny.png

Andreja

starfield-2023_09_12-14dzu.png

Amelia

starfield-2023_09_12-3aint.png

Betty

starfield-2023_09_12-01d46.png
Betty is the abby of starfield universe.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I was really down on this game after twenty hours. So I restarted my game and approached it with a different attitude and I'm absolutely loving it now.
My biggest issue is that my expectations were to high but it's a Bethesda game through and through and with realistic expectations I'm having a far better time with it.

Bethesda in their marketing: It's a Bethesda game through and through!

Gamers: I expected something different!

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Bethesda in their marketing: It's a Bethesda game through and through!

Gamers: I expected something different!
I honestly can't recall many conversations other than "it's probably Skyrim in space."

No Man's Sky Pre-Release: It's a whole universe and you can do anything.
No Man's Sky Day One: Are you serious? All you can do is fly around and mine? There's no people to talk to, nothing to do, nothing to see, no quests. This is a crime.

Starfield Pre-Release: It's Skyrim in Space.
Starfield Day One: Are you serious? You can't even fly around? This is a crime.

🤷‍♂️ I'm not out to police anyone's complaints. But I can never predict what small thing will be the trigger that causes the forest fire. I've just accepted that people will find something.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I honestly can't recall many conversations other than "it's probably Skyrim in space."

No Man's Sky Pre-Release: It's a whole universe and you can do anything.
No Man's Sky Day One: Are you serious? All you can do is fly around and mine? There's no people to talk to, nothing to do, nothing to see, no quests. This is a crime.

Starfield Pre-Release: It's Skyrim in Space.
Starfield Day One: Are you serious? You can't even fly around? This is a crime.

🤷‍♂️ I'm not out to police anyone's complaints. But I can never predict what small thing will be the trigger that causes the forest fire. I've just accepted that people will find something.

Literally the first sentence of the actual presentation / Direct:

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Someone should make a Starfield GAF Review poll...would be nice to know what the community thinks of the game thus far

Edit: For those that have actually played it (preferably for at least 10hrs)

Last edited:

Antwix

I was really down on this game after twenty hours. So I restarted my game and approached it with a different attitude and I'm absolutely loving it now.
My biggest issue is that my expectations were to high but it's a Bethesda game through and through and with realistic expectations I'm having a far better time with it.
Especially nowadays, gamers have a lot more of a "glass half empty" mindset. instead of focusing on what a game is trying to do or what it does well, everyone tends to focus on what's missing. Glad you're having fun now though.

R6Rider

Gold Member
"It's a Bethesda game through and through"

Meanwhile missing features that basically all of their games have had since Oblivion.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
"It's a Bethesda game through and through"

Meanwhile missing features that basically all of their games have had since Oblivion.

And Oblivion was missing features that Morrowind had. And Morrowind was missing features that Daggerfall had.

And Oblivion had extra features that were not in Morrowind. And Morrowind had extra features that were not in Daggerfall.

Do you see the pattern?

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Got to level 21. Did a bit more of the main quest last night. If not for the rewards I would ignore the main quest entirely, not sure why it has to be so bad. Cleared out a few misc side quests, which didn't lead to much of interest. And started the Freestar Ranger questline. So far not much going on with this one but like the UC one I assume it will pick up.

UC has been the highlight so far. Will focus on the big questlines to see if any of the other ones can compare.
I seem to be doing things opposite to everyone else lol. UC is the last one I have, I really liked the Crimson Fleet one, and the Freestar was alright, it’s a bit slower since it’s a lot of investigation, but the reward at the end is pretty much the best quest reward I’ve encountered in the game by far (not even just faction quests, like any quest period).

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can anyone recommend an interesting quest chain to follow? 20 hours in and my overwhelming response is... boredom. I get that Bethesda RPGs rarely have a good main quest and this is no exception but I don't want to finish it without missing something good. The Mantis quest was probably one of the better ones so far. Any of the factions particularly good?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can anyone recommend an interesting quest chain to follow? 20 hours in and my overwhelming response is... boredom. I get that Bethesda RPGs rarely have a good main quest and this is no exception but I don't want to finish it without missing something good. The Mantis quest was probably one of the better ones so far. Any of the factions particularly good?
UC Vanguard has been the highlight so far.

R6Rider

Gold Member
And Oblivion was missing features that Morrowind had. And Morrowind was missing features that Daggerfall had.

And Oblivion had extra features that were not in Morrowind. And Morrowind had extra features that were not in Daggerfall.

Do you see the pattern?
The pattern of missing features from all of their games since 2005? No.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Crimson Fleet one is damn good in terms of story and how many ways you have of finishing it. Freestar was a bit good but a bit predictable, but the reward was more than worth it especially early in the game.

I haven’t played through the UC one yet though so I’ll defer to the ones who have for their opinion on that one.

Reactions: AV

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can you people point out a big chain quest with A LOT of combat against humans? like arena after arena of shooting for hours and hours?!

because i swear that i installed the IA mod and 10 hours later i literally never had to shot a motherfucker and i'm kinda getting bored...

And i don't even explore planets or build ships or outpost, i just jump from quest to quest straight to the point.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Finally making some main story progress.

RE: Neon

Taking off from Neon after collecting the artifact and running into an 'alien' ship demanding it back.

Interesting.

R6Rider

Gold Member
We have an expert on Bethesda games who played Oblivion and nothing before that. I'm sure we can take his opinion seriously.
Just stating facts.

But go ahead and try and dismiss them as opinions.

Next, you're going to say the AI is good.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can you people point out a big chain quest with A LOT of combat gainst humans? like arena after arena of shooting for hours and hours?!

because i swear that i installed the IA mod and 10 hours later i literally never had to shot a motherfucker and i'm kinda getting bored...

And i don't even explore planets or build ships or outpost, i just jump from quest to quest straight to the point.
There’s a distress signal quest line you’ll get at Altair that is heavy on human combat.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just stating facts.

But go ahead and try and dismiss them as opinions.

The fact is that their games always add some, remove some. It's been like that since day one. But I'm not gonna cry that NPCs are not going to sleep in the evening or that I can't strip them naked if I can explore the entire galaxy, build outposts almost anywhere and spend hours perfecting my own space ship. You win some, you lose some. Always has been the case.

What is that AMAZING feature from Oblivion that's missing in Starfield?

adamsapple

Can you people point out a big chain quest with A LOT of combat against humans? like arena after arena of shooting for hours and hours?!

If you're in the Freestar Collective guild, you can get infinite outpost attack missions from their mission board.

It's located in Akila City in the main tavern building where their HQ is.

Last edited:

Freeman76

When crafting, do you have to have the item in your inventory? I noticed it doesnt use items from the storage in the lodge?

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you're in the Freestar Collective guild, you can get infinite outpost attack missions from their mission board.

It's located in Akila City in the main tavern building where their HQ is.
I don't wanna burn out on worthless missions, i want to proceed with some sort of story.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
We have an expert on Bethesda games who played Oblivion and nothing before that. I'm sure we can take his opinion seriously.
Kinda funny too considering Arena and Daggerfall had a straight fast travel system (albeit with a chance to get attacked along the way). And after Morrowind dumped the system and Oblivion added it back…of course a bunch of Bethesda ‘purists‘ jump in to complain that it was ‘hand holding’.

There’s no winning: they add a QOL improvement and it’s: ‘hand holding’, if it makes things harder to find and encourages exploration and makes you figure things out on your own it’s: ‘obtuse and frustrating’ from the other group.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The fact is that their games always add some, remove some. It's been like that since day one. But I'm not gonna cry that NPCs are not going to sleep in the evening or that I can't strip them naked if I can explore the entire galaxy, build outposts almost anywhere and spend hours perfecting my own space ship. You win some, you lose some. Always has been the case.

What is that AMAZING feature from Oblivion that's missing in Starfield?
I miss getting the “touch of rage” spell and using it to trigger massive town-wide brawls.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Kinda funny too considering Arena and Daggerfall had a straight fast travel system (albeit with a chance to get attacked along the way). And after Morrowind dumped the system and Oblivion added it back…of course a bunch of Bethesda ‘purists‘ jump in to complain that it was ‘hand holding’.

There’s no winning: they add a QOL improvement it’s: ‘hand holding’, if it makes things harder to find and encourages exploration and makes you figure things out on your own it’s: ‘obtuse and frustrating’.

Oblivion had all major cities marked on your map and you can fast travel to them without first discovering them. It's nothing new. They promised a Bethesda game. We got a Bethesda game. And people still complain.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
:messenger_blowing_kiss::messenger_blowing_kiss:

Edit: Lol wait a moment, is this the quest where you have both uc and freestar and you go from commander to commander to save their asses? i think i already did that...

Because that one was heavy on human combat aswell.

You installed a mod to improve the AI and it did just that... by removing enemy NPCs from the game. #winning

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Oblivion had all major cities marked on your map and you can fast travel to them without first discovering them. It's nothing new. They promised a Bethesda game. We got a Bethesda game. And people still complain.
TBH I’ve heard people complain about how they’re destroying the formula since Daggerfall….Even more so when they took on the Fallout franchise.

It isn’t a Bethesda game unless a bunch of people bitch about it not being exactly like some past game.

Top Bottom