• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

manlisten

I forgot about the area early on, but still remembered the reference to the area, so when trying to find it later on without a mission marker. Holy crap! They really did hide them, there’s only one elevator to it (that I know of) and it’s basically one that is near impossible to find other than if you’re sent to view the waterfall landmark or a quest marker in that spot, and of course no other public transit goes there and no landing point where they have it everywhere else.

It is a damn good commentary on modern society at least when it comes to major cities and people affording housing, and made that commentary without saying a word.
You can get to it through the Lodge as well.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I wish piracy paid off more. I stole some ship, but had to register it first which cost me 12k, the ship sold for 14k - or something along those lines.

I had one Class B ship that I had finally excitedly disabled in a space fight with about 3 enemies - I boarded it but found I didn't have required piloting skill.. so that ship has been sitting there for a day or two (irl time) while I do other things in the game and focus on getting that skill up to par. I finally got the skill to the required level, got excited thinking this is my big break, going to take this expensive, huge ship and sell it off (not that I am at a want for credits, have hundreds of thousands of them just from selling EQ)! I was able to steal the ship, got back to the ship guy and it'sreally the same story. After registration it's a few thousand in profit, the ship is only worth 20k despite seeming so big. Sigh. Strangely Alendreja or whatever her name is was pissed when I killed the captain - we were being attacked! They're space pirates! Not sure why she cared about that specific NPC. I do love that the disabled ship just stays persistent, right there next to that planet forever until I come back to either destroy it or steal it.

Still cool to be able to just jack ships though. I like the whole process - disabling the ship, boarding the ship, murdering everyone, taking ship.

I don't like that it feels like there's less freedom than ever in terms of killing random people or quest related people. Like there's a quest in the well
in which one of the shopkeepers is concerned about some potential thieves. You're tasked with investigating and you find out they are planning to break in to a store - but you can't kill or confront them then, you have to go back to her and then she wants you to report to security. To the game's credit, you can go confront them after that point and murder them, she gets upset but the quest resolves the same way no matter how you end it, but I feel like you should be able to confront and kill them right then

In addition to that there are just way too many "essential" NPCs. I'd rather have it Morrowind style where the threads of fate are severed, but you can murder all you like.

If you registered the ship at a ship vendor, don’t.

Open ship menu anywhere, you can register the ship yourself for much cheaper (magic 🤷‍♂️)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Saw some people hating on the Ryujin questline. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Loved the corp espionage theme and the stealth was really fun. Helped that I have stealth maxed out though.

Good points but I disagree with the guy's 3rd point about doing the Ryujin quests first. I'd argue the Freestar Rangers quest is better to do first. Although I haven't done the UC/Crimson ones yet so not sure.

The main reward is an extremely good starship. It is better than anything you'd get that early on considering everything else costs so much for being that early in the game.
Is it better than
the mantis ship?

Because don't get me wrong, i like that ship, but those huge metal testicles in the back rear doesn't exactly scream terror of the universe

Starfield-Lair-of-the-Mantis-questline-rewards.jpg

I look like the fucking dog from Van wilder movie before the cum pastries scene ffs.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Is Sam Coe’s affinity quest bugged?

After I complete “Valerie’s Cache” Sam is pissed at me and I have a 15,000 bounty on me. I tried reloading to a way earlier save with for sure no bounty, then tried it again and same thing happened.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Is it better than
the mantis ship?

Because don't get me wrong, i like that ship, but those huge metal testicles in the back rear doesn't exactly scream terror of the universe

I look like the fucking dog from Van wilder movie before the cum pastries scene ffs.

Mod it

The ship keeps the Mantis status even after heavy modifications, in fact I’m not sure it’s even attached to a specific module.

Ship is a bit cool just for the fact that some pirates will react to it. Only ship that has this RPG mechanic

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
61 hrs in.

Powers:
I think I found the most useful power (as of yet), it replenishes CO2 and O2 completely but almost drains your entire power bar, paired with the fully maxed O2 skill, now I have pretty much unlimited sprint, cause by the time I'm finished with those, the power bar has fully replenished.

--

Couple of things that caught my interest.

like this sweet looking chicken tikka w/ rice.

starfield-2023_09_11-x3i2d.png

and this poster.

starfield-2023_09_11-qidqn.png

--

The ship you get for completing the Freestar Collective faction quests looks very nice, but damn shame that it's an A class ship.

starfield-2023_09_11-2wc6p.png

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Is it better than
the mantis ship?

Because don't get me wrong, i like that ship, but those huge metal testicles in the back rear does't exactly scream terror of the universe

Unless it’s just completely random and people got different mods on it, it blows everything else out of the water several times over. Level 28 with maxed stats to the mods in question, I just can’t beat it other than adding small tweaks, with the base of it there’s still no improving it because any improvement is still apparently level locked (60 seems to unlock everything).

Last edited:

Antwix

Is it better than

Yeah 100%. I had that one prior and it has like double or triple the cargo room as well as better weapons and higher shields/engines with more reactor power. The only downside I guess is you have to add a secure cargo container via the ship builder if you wanna do contraband type stuff. No big deal though. Just a few thousand credits.

EDIT: its the one adamsapple adamsapple posted a couple posts above

Mod it

The ship keeps the Mantis status even after heavy modifications, in fact I’m not sure it’s even attached to a specific module.
I definitely need to check out the ship builder more. I think I need to spec into starship design a bit though before I even start trying to upgrade stuff.

Last edited:

soulbait

Is Sam Coe’s affinity quest bugged?

After I complete “Valerie’s Cache” Sam is pissed at me and I have a 15,000 bounty on me. I tried reloading to a way earlier save with for sure no bounty, then tried it again and same thing happened.

Here is what I had to do so he would not get pissed at me:

Rather than board the ship, which I thought I had to do to get the information, I destroyed the ship and picked up the loot. I would board the ship, and the first people I killed he would not get upset, but then when I got to the second level he did. Makes no sense why destroying the ship would not piss him off. People die either way.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Rather than board the ship, which I thought I had to do to get the information, I destroyed the ship and picked up the loot. I would board the ship, and the first people I killed he would not get upset, but then when I got to the second level he did. Makes no sense why destroying the ship would not piss him off. People die either way.
Ahhh thanks, yeah I think that is what did it, trying it now

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Well I’ll be damned, that did it. Now to do this annoying ass mission a third time.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
61 hrs in.

Powers:
I think I found the most useful power (as of yet), it replenishes CO2 and O2 completely but almost drains your entire power bar, paired with the fully maxed O2 skill, now I have pretty much unlimited sprint, cause by the time I'm finished with those, the power bar has fully replenished.

--

and this poster.

--

The ship you get for completing the Freestar Collective faction quests looks very nice, but damn shame that it's an A class ship.

Thing is almost all of those A classes beat the C classes in virtually every benchmark. The 29 power reactor alone; you just can’t find a C class that does that power output without double the space till very late in terms of leveling.

Valkyria

Banned
Over 50 hours in. I think I gonna finish the main quest and give up. I tried exploring the galaxy looking for missions, you know, related to space and after 80 systems explored, there are very little.

This game setting it's the space, but this is not a space game.

If you registered the ship at a ship vendor, don’t.

Open ship menu anywhere, you can register the ship yourself for much cheaper (magic 🤷‍♂️)
Nice, it is cheaper, not astonishingly but like 10% or so. This new ship I just stole is worth 40, registers are vendor for 32, but if you self register it's 28. Definitely makes it more worth it. Thanks for the heads up!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
61 hrs in.

Powers:

--

and this poster.

--

Could you not make that ship onto a c class by slapping some mods on?

Good progress tonight. got nearly all the way through the ryujin questline. Stealthed every mission, so far 100% perfect.

Will get the rest done tomorrow then it's onto freestar collective

SJRB

Gold Member
Everything about this game reminds me of Skyrim, only in a lesser way.

Actually bought the Skyrim special edition and downloading it right now.

God damn you, Todd.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Could you not make that ship onto a c class by slapping some mods on?

Good progress tonight. got nearly all the way through the ryujin questline. Stealthed every mission, so far 100% perfect.

Will get the rest done tomorrow then it's onto freestar collective
The reactor is what switches the ship class from A to B to C class, and the reactor needs to be C class to attach other C class mods. But since no C class reactor matches that ship’s A class reactor power output till about level 20 (and that one is twice the size).…they can’t really upgrade it without basically downgrading the ship, even with full access to C grade modules and the experimental modules through the perks.

The better ones are level locked, which cap out at level 60 apparently, this thing murders everything till level 30 basically…but there’s not a whole lot to upgrade.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The reactor is what switches the ship class from A to B to C class, and the reactor needs to be C class to attach other C class mods. But since no C class reactor matches that ship’s A class reactor power output till about level 20 (and that one is twice the size).…they can’t really upgrade it without basically downgrading the ship, even with full access to C grade modules and the experimental modules through the perks.

The better ones are level locked, which cap out at level 60 apparently, this thing murders everything till level 30 basically…but there’s not a whole lot to upgrade.
Oh, so maybe I did it wrong. I turned my frontier ship into a monster with c class stuff and an c class reactor but I think I should have bult a ship from scratch instead?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
don't let the A cert fool you, it has high level parts that are locked behind the starship design skill.

If I had finished this questline before UC Vanguard and got this ship before, would have been a great upgrade to the Mantis ship, but right now I already have an extremely souped up C class ship, I don't think I will be wanting for anything else unless the end-game turns out to be way more difficult. Cause right now, I'm just blowing fools in seconds and my ship has just the right amount of cargo and crew that I need.

starfield-2023_09_10-bjcf6.png

-------

Something about seeing a straight up AK 47 in outer space just seems very funny to me :messenger_grinning_sweat:

WNc5ZbL.png

Scanning planets is more enjoyable than I expected. I'm 40 hours into the game now and just decided to try scanning lifeforms and whatnot on a planet for the first time due to some early quest asking me to find a "coralline landmass". So far two planets 100% but no success on that, but I'm enjoying it. Some of the alien enemies can be deadly, I like seeing various species interact with each other. This is also the first time I've come across planets with earthish habitats, most of what I've been on so far has somehow only been rock basically.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Sleeping screws it up. It’ll move the clock forward instead of backwards, and the difference is only 1 hour to 4 UTC (I’m guessing so you don’t end up spending almost a year in game waiting for 24 hours lol).

And yeah you can land on Mercury.
I went to a few planets to check the UT time for sleeping for 1 local hour :
- Moon is 27 hours and 33 minutes
- Mercury is 82 hours and 47 minutes
- Venus is 100 hours (so sleeping there for 24 hours skips 100 days)
That's weird that I did not get the same as you for Venus, I was using the bed in my ship.
I did not check if the time went backward, I'll see tomorrow.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished Sam’s affinity quest, now I’m done playing family counselor for his boring ass. Definitely swapping him for Vasco.

All these companions are fucking whack. I just dismissed Andrejah because even she is supremely dull.

The way they all go from "who are you" to "omg you're my best friend and the most amazing person and I love you" in like 15 minutes of playtime is ridiculous. I had Sarah Morgan reminisce about our stellar adventures when I barely did two quests with her as a companion. I mean, what the fuck are you even talking about? It's all so artificial and they all are in the lawful good territory of personality. Not a single one is chaotic good, let alone neutral or evil. They're all goody two shoes. How boring is that?

And all the excessive "hey, if you have a moment I'd like to talk to you". I've had four companions and they all follow the exact same trajectory: do two quests, say they want to talk if you have a minute, open up with some random personal bullshit you don't care about, click the "flirt" option and be on your way.

I swear to god I'm gonna give space aids to the entire Constellation crew at this point.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
I went to a few planets to check the UT time for sleeping for 1 local hour :
- Moon is 27 hours and 33 minutes
- Mercury is 82 hours and 47 minutes
- Venus is 100 hours (so sleeping there for 24 hours skips 100 days)
That's weird that I did not get the same as you for Venus, I was using the bed in my ship.
I did not check if the time went backward, I'll see tomorrow.
The time going backwards was the clock on Venus while outside and not sleeping or waiting .

And how do you know the number of days off the 24h clock with sleeping/waiting? I waited a full 24 hours, and the number difference on each tick was 1:4 the whole way. Not sure where the days thing is coming from.

Last edited:
Got 30 hours in so far and I really like it as long I remember this is Skyrim/Fallout in space and not a proper space game. It's really carried by the setting cause sci-fi games are so rare. Not sure if I like the proc gen stuff but it's certainly better than the horrible Mass Effect 1 Mako sections which some people love for some weird reason.

More proper games need that ship building. I really, really hope X5 has something like it.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
The time going backwards was the clock on Venus while outside and not sleeping or waiting .

And how do you know the number of days off the 24h clock with sleeping/waiting? I waited a full 24 hours, and the number difference on each tick was 1:4 the whole way. Not sure where the days thing is coming from.
The 100 days for 24 hours on Venus is just maths : 1 hour on Venus is 100 UT hours (100/24 = 4.17 days), so 24 Venus hours is 2400 UT hours is 100 UT days (4.17 * 24 or 2400 / 24)
This for example is on Venus :

WoY2BsN.png

If I set the slider all the way to the right to sleep 24 hours, it says it will last 2400 UT hours UT.
I did not try waiting/sleeping though, only checking the time and did not validate.

Cdbaksul

Neo Member
Has anyone had their Old Neighbourhood quest bug out?

As I approach Moara's ship, it won't fire at me. There is the transmission requesting for assistance, but the "mercs" are not firing at me. After docking with the ship it turns out all the mercs are dead, naked, and contorted, and I'm left with "Clear Moara's ship from hostiles" objective undoable. Can't initiate dialogue with Moara either. Am on Xbox. Any advice please?

So I finally did it. Made a ship from scratch. Started with the Frontier ship and deleted just about everything. Didn't want to go too crazy, but I consider this the starting point that I can build on.

Here she is on her maiden voyage. After my alma mater, she is named the War Eagle.

l2vqG6J.png

FCGgYA6.png

8Q2HnEF.png

jprbOCK.jpg

Nice and girthy.

I'm tackling my first ship build tonight. I really need to understand bases, ships and cargo better. I've been tucking my wares away on my crew and being incumbered sucks ass. Time to streamline.

Also I have to stop picking up all the shit everywhere.

Top Bottom