• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Can confirm it looks so much better with this, especially if you’re on an OLED. Best part is it just removes their awful LUTs instead of trying to compensate for them by monkeying with the brightness/contrast/saturation etc.
If you want deep blacks and contrasts but keep a bit of the colored intent you can use the Luma 50% from this LUT mod :

It does the same thing as Neutral LUTs but keeps 50% of the color filter. (the Luma 100% one is too colored)

There are too many things to do in this game.. I never feel like I accomplish whatever it was I was supposed to do when I started the session
I played for 6 hours earlier and just felt like getting the planet 100%
After 6 hours of a small random planet I'm at 82% 😂

And it's GREAT
Not every game has to be finished in a week and move on.

This can be played for months or even years if players want

Jemm

There are too many things to do in this game.. I never feel like I accomplish whatever it was I was supposed to do when I started the session
Oh No Oops GIF by 60 Second Docs

(me, too)

Filben

Can I change my experience/body features later in the game? I remember Bethesda Fallout games (and NV) had some kind of in-game mechanic, like surgery. F76 let it do simply via menu.

Filben

The way they all go from "who are you" to "omg you're my best friend and the most amazing person and I love you" in like 15 minutes of playtime is ridiculous. I had Sarah Morgan reminisce about our stellar adventures when I barely did two quests with her as a companion. I mean, what the fuck are you even talking about? It's all so artificial and they all are in the lawful good territory of personality. Not a single one is chaotic good, let alone neutral or evil. They're all goody two shoes. How boring is that?
Yes, I agree and does seem to be a trend. Like in Baldur's Gate 3 I was barely speaking with my companions because I wanted to role play like not looking for friends, just people with a mutual goal so I only choose the necessary dialogue options, no additional and unnecessary chat or let alone personal matters. Yet that sorcerer asked asked me If I wanted to spend some time with him alone after that feast. I didn't think anything of it, agreed, and then before I even did so, all of my companions where like "wohooo, too bad you decided for him instead of me but if that's what you want...". I felt like, bitch, I haven't decided anything, wtf are you all on about?

Developers are fine with requiring players to grind for hours if they want to build or upgrade something. But God forbid it takes actual time to get to know someone before they tell you their life stories and want to fuck you.

Yep. Just look for an "Enhance". Go in and talk to the NPC.
Thank you guys!

hinch7

Isn’t the main story there just as filler? I’m looking to that aspect of the game the least I think
Idk man.. that sounds like a major cop out, sorry. Did a few side missions (large faction ones at at that) outside of that and they were okay. Ymmv.

Not having a good story in a narrative driven game that you can spend tens of hours if not more playing is a little.. yeah. If you're enjoying the game in those aspects though then thats great. Its just not for me.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m still just trying to complete the same quest from 2 days ago, but keep getting distracted. I think I spent about 4 hours in shop builder total yesterday. I’ve made my Class C ship and it’s glorious. But I can’t show any of you! It’s my precious!

I still don’t even have space magic test, lol.

Last edited:
I was missing one fauna and needed to find an ocean yesterday to complete survey and finally succeeded after a few landing attempts:
  1. Find a spot on a map that has "Coast" in its description
  2. After landing, open the Surface Map (scanner + RB on controller)
  3. Go towards a flat surface and/or sudden drops of in elevation and you should see the water eventually

While searching for an ocean, I also stumbled upon an abandoned research tower. However, it wasn't a walk in the park as it was full of relatively tough Va'Ruun zealots. After killing them all, I finally found the computer, but it contained just one trait that I had already scanned.

Well, I got some XP and loot, but I had hoped that the computer would contain all the survey data after all that trouble.

Thanks but as I mentioned, there’s no coast and no ocean. I just assumed it was bugged and moved on.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I'm addicted to ship building. Send help.
I hate how habs connect at random points. I want to build a streamlined ship with no ladders but due to how habs connect it becomes a maze.
There’s definitely room for improvement in the next game. Like the ability to choose where they connect, save drafts, walk the interiors before finishing and test flights.

Macaron

Banned
Crimson Fleet storyline was fucking amazing. You really HAVE to do the side quests in this game. They are just as epic as the main questline.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Got to level 21. Did a bit more of the main quest last night. If not for the rewards I would ignore the main quest entirely, not sure why it has to be so bad. Cleared out a few misc side quests, which didn't lead to much of interest. And started the Freestar Ranger questline. So far not much going on with this one but like the UC one I assume it will pick up.

UC has been the highlight so far. Will focus on the big questlines to see if any of the other ones can compare.

Got to level 21. Did a bit more of the main quest last night. If not for the rewards I would ignore the main quest entirely, not sure why it has to be so bad. Cleared out a few misc side quests, which didn't lead to much of interest. And started the Freestar Ranger questline. So far not much going on with this one but like the UC one I assume it will pick up.

UC has been the highlight so far. Will focus on the big questlines to see if any of the other ones can compare.
The main quest seems to be a bit of a tutorial for the rest of the game. I think it's actually pretty solid for a Bethesda game. Some of the big moments don't hit as hard as they should due to presentation, though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Where do you get her? Does she specialize in power weapons? Does any companion?

She specializes in explosives / frag grenades.

I forget exactly where, but she was a random distress call in one of the systems, she hails you because her ship has been attacked and you can offer to rescue her and bring her onboard your crew.

edit:

recruitment​

Betty Howser can be recruited by docking with the ship the Lucky Lu above the planet Heinlein I in the Heinlein system which is to the right of the Porrima system. Upon talking with Betty you learn that her ship is badly damaged and that she requires some ship parts from your character's inventory in order to get her ship up and running again upon completing this Betty becomes recruitable.

Last edited:

Fess

Even the 1929 bathing suit is too sexy to be in Starfield

bIwC0Hn.jpg
Lol yeah, I’d say that all those ladies are too much for western gaming in general in 2023, just look at them meaty thighs, can’t show anything like that oh no everybody needs to be virtually genderless and flat and have thin guy thighs and no hips to not seem sexistic☝️

Sometimes I really hate this hobby.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Lol yeah, I’d say that all those ladies are too much for western gaming in general in 2023, just look at them meaty thighs, can’t show anything like that oh no everybody needs to be virtually genderless and flat and have thin guy thighs and no hips to not seem sexistic☝️

Sometimes I really hate this hobby.
I really don't know why people think that is a 2023 thing. Been this way for BGS since Morrowind. They haven't changed at all. Their games are always kind of robotic, sterile, calming ambient music, no focus on character animations or charisma but more on lore and the overall world.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Finished UC and just clocked Ryujin both were great. 0 detection I am space Sam Fisher!

Onto freestar now then crimson fleet.

Need to progress the story some to get Andreja.

Topher

Gold Member
Finished UC and just clocked Ryujin both were great. 0 detection I am space Sam Fisher!

Onto freestar now then crimson fleet.

Need to progress the story some to get Andreja.

Did you put any points in stealth prior to Ryujin?

Last edited:
So playing more it's pretty clear that, yet again, Starfield is barely an RPG. Only slightly better than Fallout 4 because you aren't voiced.

I mean fuck, Fallout 76 is a better RPG.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Makes sense. I had exactly one point in stealth. I might as well have had a lit up sign over my head that said "look at me!" trying to get through those missions.
I still think the stealth might be a bit bugged in this game. Enemies are unusually alert for me, and I'm maxed out. I still get stealth kills a lot, but it's far more challenging than all previous BGS games.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So playing more it's pretty clear that, yet again, Starfield is barely an RPG. Only slightly better than Fallout 4 because you aren't voiced.

I mean fuck, Fallout 76 is a better RPG.

If not being voiced is an issue then I guess Persona, Chrono Trigger etc are all not RPGs :p

Top Bottom