• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is anyone playing the game with film grain enabled (to the max?)

I've legit wondered if there is any actual benefit to having it on, other than imitating a retro movie film effect.

I can see a case where the grain can hide aliasing but this game has very good IQ already (minus the take-off VRS puddle in Atlantis). There seems to be no legitimate reason to have it enabled in this game, to me at least.

A friend of mine who never owned a console before and never played an open world game bought this today and an Xbox. I'm curious to see what he thinks of it and if it's like my first experience playing Morrowind or Oblivion.

To a layman, this is probably gonna be a huge epic experience, especially if they don't have any previous experiences with Skyrim and the like.

Last edited:

This is cool and makes me think they could have done this - but my immediate question is where did he start? Was he at Io and flew to Jupiter, then flew back? In other words, could he have flown to Jupiter and landed on Jupiter or was he still locked into only landing on Io because that's where he started? But if it was that simple, I feel like they would have done it.

Its great! That seems to be what Bethesda RPGs have always been about, I just had no idea..
Indeed, some of them are some of the best games around/ever made IMO. Not perfect in every way, but perfect for me in what they do.

If you can deal with the lack of some QOL features in Morrowind, you have one of the best games ever made ahead of you. Just replayed it in the past year, still so excellent. I play it pretty much vanilla, but use something called "OpenMW" to upres/scale UI and basic visual features, but of course there are a million mods.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I draw up designs on paper/tablet freehand when I’m figuring things out, then move into CAD software as necessary for the final specs.
60411Cj.gif

Darchaos

70 hours into the game, all other games has stoped to exist. For fuck sake, i have even dreamt that i was playing when i was asleep......fuck you Bethesda and youre fucking game for doing this to me!

That uc quest, yes, just yes. Well, time to sleep, play in the dreams, wake up go to work and then home and put on some coffe and play for real again.

I’m still super duper early, despite spending 103 hours in Starfield.

F52oBwbbMAAPC6S

Is there a point where I can kick everyone out of my ship and I can do some fucked up piracy without having my companions judge me.

I’d like to murder 1000’s of people for their ships and money, behind all their backs.
You can unassign them from your ship. While landed go to the ship menu, crew. But as far as I know they provide bonuses to your ship. Your ship won't be as effective if you're solo.

ebevan91

Is there a mod out there to keep my companion from changing into their casual outfit so much? I'm on an abandoned ship right now and it keeps going into zero gravity and Sam keeps changing in and out of his space suit every time it happens and it's incredibly immersion breaking.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
sounds like PSU committed sudoku
Yep. Hoping it's that easy. Grabbing my power supply tester back from my friends house tomorrow.

I don't see any blown capacitors on the mobo but sometimes they blow and you can't tell.

Hoping to hell it wasn't the 3090. Anyway we have a thread for pc stuff so I wont derail with tech stuff here.

Just what fucking timing man. 😂 Enjoy the game for me.

Also thanks to twilo99 twilo99 for the response.

Pedro Motta

I'm done with the game, definitely not for me.

Got tired of going through menus just to change a weapon in a middle of a fight. AI is a fucking disgrace, no challenge at all. UI and the traversal system are by-product of a very sad game designer that had no love in his life. LOADINGS LOADING LOADINGS.

The shooting is awful. No impact at all, controls like shit on XSX.

Surround sound is all borked up, characters in front of me and sound comes out the rear channels, or rear channels are super lowd and central channel is so low we can't barely hear the NPCs.

Landing on a planet always to have the same 4/5 markers at the same distances everytime, repeated caves and factories.

At one point I thought, what the fuck am I doing with my life playing this.

Mad The Rock GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just some odds and ends.

- Dark Brotherhood hand print found amongst assorted funny post-it notes on my ship.

starfield-2023_09_12-3vi47.png

- This fuckin' ship is just a slab of meat

starfield-2023_09_12-24i67.png

- Is it just me or does this NPC look like Emilia Clarke ?

starfield-2023_09_12-1jeot.png

- I love my Normandy SR-3, from certain angles it looks like a giant dick with two huge balls at the back.

starfield-2023_09_12-7cc6o.png

- Andreja's final commitment mission has some really scenic views.

starfield-2023_09_12-tvcgp.png

I'm done with the game, definitely not for me.

Got tired of going through menus just to change a weapon in a middle of a fight. AI is a fucking disgrace, no challenge at all. UI and the traversal system are by-product of a very sad game designer that had no love in his life. LOADINGS LOADING LOADINGS.

The shooting is awful. No impact at all, controls like shit on XSX.

Surround sound is all borked up, characters in front of me and sound comes out the rear channels, or rear channels are super lowd and central channel is so low we can't barely hear the NPCs.

Landing on a planet always to have the same 4/5 markers at the same distances everytime, repeated caves and factories.

At one point I thought, what the fuck am I doing with my life playing this.

Yeah I get all that mate, despite all that I'm enjoying the game still.

No one at Bethesda is getting a job at Apple any time soon. The UX is fucking terrible, laughably so. The game itself flies in the face of that and is awesome.

If only they could drop Respawn into the FPS and menu systems. Even simple things like switching between scanner mode and opening doors is a stupid annoying thing to even have to do once, let alone dozens of times in one section.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I thought lockpicking was boring and tedious at first but once I started doing the expert/master ones, I started to actually enjoy them a lot. I've gotten pretty good at them.

Yeah. I had a love-hate relationship with those locks, but, now.. it's like a fun little mini game in between all the Space traversing.

Oh well, everyone is mad at me because i joined the pirates. Boo fucking hoo. I hate how bethesda does these kinds of moral choices. There's no nuance.

Is there a mod out there to keep my companion from changing into their casual outfit so much? I'm on an abandoned ship right now and it keeps going into zero gravity and Sam keeps changing in and out of his space suit every time it happens and it's incredibly immersion breaking.
There's this one. But it didn't work for me.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Okay, so I found a random event that was kind of cool. I was just messing around on a random planet and came across an abandoned outpost. I heard someone yelling for help. When I found where the voice was coming from, I got ambushed by pirates.

I understand why this game is so divisive. It can be very boring at times, then there are those other times where it just nails it.

Top Bottom