• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Topher

Gold Member
Because I was actually doing the Ryujin quest line at the time, I some extra dialogue options for that mission. I spared Juno and sent her off into the galaxy to explore. But, I also talked the two corpos into letting it happen to spare themselves the paper work. I flew them back to Neon, they were on my ship for a bit because... well, you know - I got distracted.

Unrelated, I just built my first outpost to act as a storage facility. Now I gotta start farming some resources so I can add to my base and make sure it can hold everything I want it to. 25 hours in, and it feels like I'm just about to exit the early game. Fucking wild.

Handled Juno the exact same way you did.

I built two outposts to do the mission of delivering x units of Titanium to Jemison only to find out that I needed additional perks because I can't find Titanium available for farming on planets that do not have extreme environments. So been slowly putting some perks into science, but I have a ways to go.

But on that outpost on Jemison I did build my own landing pad which enabled me to build my ship there and have access to a lot more parts than the various ship services.

ZehDon

I built two outposts to do the mission of delivering x units of Titanium to Jemison only to find out that I needed additional perks because I can't find Titanium available for farming on planets that do not have extreme environments. So been slowly putting some perks into science, but I have a ways to go.
The perks let you build more outposts, yeah? I think I'm restricted to 8 at the moment; I can see me needing more than a few mining outposts.
But on that outpost on Jemison I did build my own landing pad which enabled me to build my ship there and have access to a lot more parts than the various ship services.
Oh, as in all the parts from the different vendors, or did it include new parts entirely?

Handled Juno the exact same way you did.
same
1457975259-armwrestle.gif

manfestival

Are building outposts worth it? I see the option but I am like 20 hours into the game and not even sure if I should bother. Also finally upgraded from the frontier. I have 250k credits but not sure what to spend it on aside from ammo..

Topher

Gold Member
The perks let you build more outposts, yeah? I think I'm restricted to 8 at the moment; I can see me needing more than a few mining outposts.

Not sure about number of outposts (probably) but my limitation is planets with extreme conditions. Have to have a perk for that and it way down at the bottom of the Science perk list.

Oh, as in all the parts from the different vendors, or did it include new parts entirely?

Various vendors, but also a better selection overall. Now, if you go directly to Nova Galactic on Titan there will still be Nova stuff you can't get anywhere else (like my ships cockpit). But say I'm on New Atlantis then the list of parts is far more limited than on my own landing pad. So building/buying direct from the vendor will get you the best selection of their stuff but building from your own place gets a better selection across all vendors, if that makes sense.

SJRB

Gold Member
I should've really just gotten the lone wolf trait, I've played 70 hours now without any companions lol

Yeah I gonked the traits as well.

To be fair you probably need a first playthrough to fully understand the concepts of the perks and what they entail. When I booted up the game I picked no traits because I was super unclear about the pros and cons of a lot of them and how significant they are because I had zero reference or background info.

Like that 500 per week rent for the super mansion sounded insane until you play and realize all you need to do is sell two extra Maelstrom rifles, lol.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
It was never hidden, they mentioned before that planets and moons are actually there if you can see them because of accurate orbits and such, the ships just don't travel fast enough in-universe to do this, you'd have to travel several times the speed of light to make traversing even the solar system not supremely boring (it would take 33 minutes to travel from earth to jupiter at lightspeed).
The grav drive doesn't really accelerate the ships faster than light either, it just creates little wormholes to move ships between points; fun fact, developing the grav drive is the reason why earth is dead.

I guess if the game used more fantastical tech for space travel, they'd allow probably FTL travel speeds for travel.

There's solutions to all of these. You'd have to travel several times the speed of light, of course, they all do, all of the space "sims" do, in Starfield you literally jump thousands of years with a witchcraft "grav drive". What's the tweak to make it travel FTL. We're discussing details here, not feasibility. Who cares about the lore of grav drives, wormholes or not. It's not a reason to limit FTL.

Here's Elite Dangerous super cruise

Star Citizen's

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I should've really just gotten the lone wolf trait, I've played 70 hours now without any companions lol
I think the traits in general are a little odd. I got 2 of mine removed in dialogue in the first 20 hours and they were never a factor. The 3rd one, someone offered to remove it but I decided to keep it even though it doesn't really do much. You could just have 0 traits and be fine.

Topher

Gold Member
There's solutions to all of these. You'd have to travel several times the speed of light, of course, they all do, all of the space "sims" do, in Starfield you literally jump thousands of years with a witchcraft "grav drive". What's the tweak to make it travel FTL. We're discussing details here, not feasibility. Who cares about the lore of grav drives, wormholes or not. It's not a reason to limit FTL.

Star Citizen's

Yeah, I miss the immersion of super cruise. Watching the planets and stars go by is such a chill moment. Definitely an opportunity missed, imo.

There's solutions to all of these.
Sure, if you throw out lore you can do anything, like I said if they were using more fantastical tech for movement they'd probably allow FTL travel that you can see, but it doesn't fit the lore.
Who cares about the lore of grav drives, wormholes or not. It's not a reason to limit FTL.
Well, the people creating it do, might as well have the eagles drop frodo off at mount doom, because who cares about lore reasons when there's more convenient options.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Sure, if you throw out lore you can do anything, like I said if they were using more fantastical tech for movement they'd probably allow FTL travel that you can see, but it doesn't fit the lore.

Well, the people creating it do, might as well have the eagles drop frodo off at mount doom, because who cares about lore reasons when there's more convenient options.

You travel without grav drive somehow between planets, you just see your ship "travel" slowly towards there. Your character doesn't age. GAME BREAKING. You think Bethesda cares about these details? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, hold on to that limitation of lore

Modders will add this early 2024, 100%

Last edited:

Star Citizen's

To be honest I think you answered your own question space sim I agree with you they could have done it but after putting in 30 hours in this game it’s not a space sim it’s just a fun Bethesda game idk why people just can’t let it go it’s not gonna be a space sim their not gonna make any updates to change this into a space sim it’s just a Bethesda rpg that’s it

Roberts

So after finishing the Crimson Fleet questline, I moved on to UC Vanguard one and it's just as captivating and fun. The coolest thing that it feels like a totally different genre. If CF was all about feeling guilt for being undercover, this is more like Starship Troopers/Alien crossover with more action. It's also informative about the past and what happened there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So after finishing the Crimson Fleet questline, I moved on to UC Vanguard one and it's just as captivating and fun. The coolest thing that it feels like a totally different genre. If CF was all about feeling guilt for being undercover, this is more like Starship Troopers/Alien crossover with more action. It's also informative about the past and what happened there.

I have only done the UC Vanguard and Freedom Collective ones yet and UC was by far the better of the two.

Freeman76

Star Citizen's

The way they did it in Starfield is miles better. Wouldnt hurt them to add the option for people to spend 6 houra flying in a straight line if they want to, but that would get boring fast for most of us. Personally I think the way they handled travel in this perfect, I spend plenty of time flying around shooting shit, collecting minerals from asteroids, and hailing randoms. I dont need anything more than that

Topher

Gold Member
The way they did it in Starfield is miles better. Wouldnt hurt them to add the option for people to spend 6 houra flying in a straight line if they want to, but that would get boring fast for most of us. Personally I think the way they handled travel in this perfect, I spend plenty of time flying around shooting shit, collecting minerals from asteroids, and hailing randoms. I dont need anything more than that

You don't fly 6 hours in a straight line in the examples Buggy Loop Buggy Loop provided. Not even minutes. It is just a super cruise where you see the bodies in space move as you traverse. I agree it would be better if folks who wanted that immersion like myself had the option. Thank God for modders.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've decided to hold off on playing for awhile. Once more mods are out then I'll probably dive in again with a brand new character.

Will be interesting to see which mods become the most popular and what kind of overhauls people will create.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Gonna try the glitch out for the ammo. Kind of awful how this game dishes out ammo. I wish enemies had access to the same weapons I do. Instead they all use the most generic ones, with the same 2-3 ammo types.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Patch notes here :

First, an enormous thank you to all of you playing Starfield and your support. We are absolutely blown away by the response and all you love about the game. We’re also reading all your great feedback on what you’d like to see improved or added to the game. This is a game we’ll be supporting for years and years to come, so please keep all the feedback coming! Even if we don’t get to your requests immediately, we’d love to do it in the future, like city maps. Our priority initially is making sure any top blocker bugs or stability issues are addressed, and adding quality-of-life features that many are asking for.

This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
  • Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!
We’re also working closely with Nvidia, AMD, and Intel on driver support, and each update will include new stability and performance improvements.

Additionally, we are working on our built-in mod support (Creations) that will work across all platforms similar to what we’ve done with Skyrim and Fallout 4. This full support is planned to launch early next year. Until then, we know our PC community is already very active in the modding space and if you have any feedback on how we can make this better, please let us know . Modding and creating in our games will always be a vital and important part of who we are, and we love seeing the community get off to such a strong start.

Keep the feedback coming, we really do read it all, and thank you all again for taking this journey with us!

Bethesda Game Studios​

Update Version 1.7.29 - Fixes and Improvements​

Performance and Stability​

• Xbox Series X|S Improved stability related to installations.
  • Various stability and performance improvements to reduce crashes and improve framerate.

Quests​

• All That Money Can Buy: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.
  • Into the Unknown: Fixed an issue that could prevent the quest from appearing after the game is completed.
  • Shadows in Neon: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.

Official DLSS support coming soon :D

Last edited:
Just went to load it up and triggered a 2.7GB update (gamepass) anyone know what it does?
800MB on steam.

UPDATE VERSION 1.7.29 - FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY
  • Various stability and performance improvements to reduce crashes and improve framerate.
QUESTS
  • All That Money Can Buy: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.
  • Into the Unknown: Fixed an issue that could prevent the quest from appearing after the game is completed.
  • Shadows in Neon: Fixed an issue where player activity could result in a quest blocker.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What I need are fewer lines of dialogue about "why are you carrying so much stuff?" and more QoL options to auto-eat food if low on health, auto sell (or at least auto-bin to the ship/companion) scrub weapons/suits, and auto pick-up credits, digilocks, and ammo. Let bodies have nothing or just some rare/epic loot and story notes.

Fess

Patch notes here :

Official DLSS support coming soon :D
Great stuff!
Should’ve been there at launch but better late than never.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
800MB on steam.

UPDATE VERSION 1.7.29 - FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY
QUESTS

Its 2.7GB on gamepass for whatever reason

hlm666

What I need are fewer lines of dialogue about "why are you carrying so much stuff?"
hahahaha they say it to me what feels like every time i pick something up, even ammo which is weightless ;)

edit: The patch didn't seem to break the dlss/fg mod at least, hopefully the next one will break it because the game will have native support then.

Last edited:
Lockpicking mini games need to die already. It's not like I won't be capable of solving the puzzle. It just slows you down and breaks the pacing.

It should be a skill check with a progress bar based on the lock difficulty. So you can't lockpick while being shot at.

Top Bottom