• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Fess

I had a glitch for the last week that kept telling me to do the main LIST quest even though I finished it.

It just seemed to randomly stop after ‘rustling my jimmies’ for days straight and finsihing the Crimson Fleet quest line. But that whole time I couldn’t do anything but straight quest tracking because it would send me to the finished quest marker for the LIST quest otherwise.

But I’m just so accustomed and acclimatized to Bethesda games and their bugs, my initial reaction was: ‘this is one will sort itself out’...and sure enough that was it.
Yeah it’ll probably sort itself out.
I genuinely like it though, it’s forcing me to understand and plan where I’m traveling since I get nothing for free by pressing R. I only see the name of the star in the quest description so I need to search for the star on the star map, then manually plot a route. Makes the game better.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Did the Mantis stuff which was pretty fun. Then followed that up with standing in a toxic gas vent for 10 minutes to level up Environmental Resistance to level 3.

Then got in bed with Sarah and had my first full game freeze. Was just a blank blue screen with this in the corner. Had to close the game and load up again.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
Damn.....I've been neglecting lock picking. Sounds like I've been missing out on some fun. There are so many things in this game that I want get good at. I've focused on ship building for the most part and then the usual combat, health, etc. Aight.....lock picking is next.

Alright, so what's your best skill so far..?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Where is the lock picking skill? I can't seem to find it?

It's in the right most tab, labeled "Security". The Digi-Picks you've been picking up are the lockpicks and the minigame is different from the usual Fallout 'turn around' type game.

It's pretty useful, almost every dungeon has shortcut doors etc in them, or locked doors which have valuable stuff inside.

-

On topic, I did a pretty cool side-quest which had me go into a space ship with a failing grav drive. Every 20 seconds the ship would lose gravity for a little bit. Every physics based item in the ship would float up and slam down when gravity is restored (including enemy bodies and every small thing that's on tables etc).

Seeing stuff like that makes you appreciate why they have so many objects you can move around in the world.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Alright, so what's your best skill so far..?

I've maxed out Piloting, Boost Pack Training, Ballistics, Wellness and Weight Lifting.

Security in tech tree

It's in the right most tab, labeled "Security". The Digi-Picks you've been picking up are the lockpicks and the minigame is different from the usual Fallout 'turn around' type game.

It's pretty useful, almost every dungeon has shortcut doors etc in them, or locked doors which have valuable stuff inside.

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Thanks

clarky

Gold Member
Let's be honest, No one "likes Sarah".

There are those that tolerate Sarah. And those that don't.
Lets be honest. No one "likes Gambit2483"

There are those that tolerate you and those that are involved in a plot to dump you on a moon

Edit: been on a sleeper train for 8 hours, trashed my save along with 2 bottles for dry white, apologies to all in advance especially Sarah, its no excuse.

Last edited:

adamsapple

What should I do with Sarah?
Asking for a Friend..

Dump her for Andreja.

edit: unless this is a later story thing I am not at right now lol.

Your aim is horrible :messenger_beaming:

That's a fun fight tho.. I was wondering how zero G would look like, they've done a good job

In my defense I like playing with the cross-hair off for less visual clutter, so I am completely reliant on the scope :p

Last edited:
So, I have spent a fair while playing Starfield, and it's absolutely the game of the generation for me. A 10, all day, every day.
Of course there is things to pick on, but none of those have to do with actual game itself. Elden Ring had performance issues, and the graphics were pretty uninspiring, but it was the gameplay that it was judged on.
Same goes for BG3. The third act is a mess, and either the reviewers never played through to it, and so didn't know how jacked it was, or they did and excused it because the gameplay was all that mattered.

Starfield is massive. There's so much to do. This game is going to have legs, with huge amounts of hours put into it. This isn't a one and done game. There are side quests out of side quests. There is ship design. There is piracy.
If, after all that you end up finishing the game, all you have to do is start a new one, make a few different choices and bang, it's a totally different game.
Some people have got a bounty on their heads and everywhere they go there are bounty hunters chasing them. Shoot someone of a particular city, and every time you go there people come after you.

Now, then when you have competed the game a second time, the DLC will start dropping...

If you haven't played this game, and you normally like RPGs, you are missing out.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Quick and dirty video of the zero g ship, I had the 'large font' option enabled when this is made, hence the giant text boxes :p

I know it’s an artistic choice but damn lack of contrast and color filters don’t look good IMO. Good that you can easily disable all that shit.

twilo99

Gold Member
Ask Vasco if he knows any human jokes..

Dump her for Andreja.

edit: unless this is a later story thing I am not at right now lol.

In my defense I like playing with the cross-hair off for less visual clutter, so I am completely reliant on the scope :p

Ah ya I didn't even notice that..

Fess

You can dump any member of the Constellation Clown Crew for Vasco or any of the recruitable Crew Members. As they won't judge you unlike Constellation that very much operate on a groupthink kind of mentality.
I like Andreja, she’s got something, but Vasco is definitely the best companion if you want to feel the freedom to do whatever you want. Haven’t tried swapping to recruitable crew outside of the Constellation yet, besides Heller and Lin. Something to try later.
Hoping it’s possible to keep playing after the main story is finished. I want to just fool around doing side quests and trading and base and ship building. I think I’m at the finish line now but don’t dare to trigger the final stuff yet, I fear I’ll lose the interest when I see the credits roll.

Last edited:
Idea of romance feels... wrong? in Bethesda game imo.

Characters and entire world is much more "gamey" than something like Mass Effect.

While Sarah might quip me for being myself, I like hanging out with her. She gives a nice smile when I talk to her. Doesn't mean I wanna romance her, that too within 3-4 quests that we did together. Not to mention character I am playing feels more like a father figure to Sarah. He is fat, old with health issues. So that's kinda weird.

I wish Bethesda had hidden romance options deep, somebody could find them if wanted to. But weren't front and centre like they are here.

Now that I have seen them, I wanna pursue it. Damn!!!

Given it seems possible to fly between planets in a system, surely they could implement sone type of ‘cruise mode’ which allows you to do so without going to ludicrous speed. Possibly have random encounters on the way. Then you choos where to land once you reach the planet as normal, maybe with an improved load screen of the ship in 3rd person ala Destiny… would really help with improving the use of custom ships and doesn’t seem to be too far outside the realms of possibility with the engine.

Last edited:

Fess

I wish Bethesda had hidden romance options deep, somebody could find them if wanted to. But weren't front and centre like they are here.
Lol yeah the flirt option has literally popped up when talking normally with Sam and Barrett just from not being a douchebag, when playing as a guy, and Sam had a wife and have a kid. Guessing everybody is bi and starving. It’s almost like playing an Assassin’s Creed game where everybody is like one dialogue from being in bed.

I like what CDPR did in Cyberpunk. The characters have a preference, some are gay, some straight. And it was serious work to get to the bed, and they kept going with it afterwards with messages etc like they were in a relationship.

Lol yeah the flirt option has literally popped up when talking normally with Sam and Barrett just from not being a douchebag, when playing as a guy, and Sam had a wife and have a kid. Guessing everybody is bi and starving. It’s almost like playing an Assassin’s Creed game where everybody is like one dialogue from being in bed.

I like what CDPR did in Cyberpunk. The characters have a preference, some are gay, some straight. And it was serious work to get to the bed, and they kept going with it afterwards with messages etc like they were in a relationship.

I am assuming it will take some time to get anywhere?

Just the first encounter was embarrassing and I had to get up from the seat and go away for a little bit. I cannot imagine what they have in store here.

GymWolf

Gold Member
How do you people handled the juno quest?

i killed the 2 fuckers, saved juno and told her to get weapons on the ship and take everything from everyone, the game is already super sanitized, i need some chaos in this galaxy

Btw, i tried to give a second chance to andreja after the whole "allowed" debacle and she got mad at literally the first interaction i had with an npcs after she joined me because "not every interaction has to be a transaction"...bitch the only reason why i can beat enemies 10 levels above me to find your stupid ass artifacts is because i accepted money to buy stuff until now...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm done with the game, definitely not for me.

Got tired of going through menus just to change a weapon in a middle of a fight. AI is a fucking disgrace, no challenge at all. UI and the traversal system are by-product of a very sad game designer that had no love in his life. LOADINGS LOADING LOADINGS.

The shooting is awful. No impact at all, controls like shit on XSX.

Surround sound is all borked up, characters in front of me and sound comes out the rear channels, or rear channels are super lowd and central channel is so low we can't barely hear the NPCs.

Landing on a planet always to have the same 4/5 markers at the same distances everytime, repeated caves and factories.

At one point I thought, what the fuck am I doing with my life playing this.

Mad The Rock GIF
You can press triangle on the weapons to set them as favourites so you only have to use the dpad to chose them.

I would prefer a button to at least rapid change the last 2-3 weapons tho.

SJRB

Gold Member

i killed the 2 fuckers, saved juno and told her to get weapons on the ship and take everything from everyone, the game is already super sanitized, i need some chaos in this galaxy

Btw, i tried to give a second chance to andreja after the whole "allowed" debacle and she got mad at literally the first interaction i had with an npcs after she joined me because "not every interaction has go be a transaction"...bitch the only reason why i can beat enemies 10 levels above me to find your stupid ass artifacts is because i accepted money to buy stuff until now...

Isn't it goofy how Constellation has pretty much unlimited funds yet you, arguably the most important person of the group, get nothing?

Where's the company credit card, Stroud?

Havoc2049

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

OMG those dumbasses at Bethesda. The systems are there for it, why didn't they allow this from the get go? Almost all complaints would evaporate.

Mods will make it reality but wow, that's an incredible feature to hide under the carpet.
Step back and think about it. That video is pretty horrible. The sense of scale is WAY off. The ship was tens of thousands of miles away from the planet at the begining and after just a few boosts of the afterburners, the ship is at the planet. The size scale of the ship to the planet is WAY off as well and the rings are just lines, not a thick asteroid belt circleling the planet that can be flown into. The ship just literally flew to an art asset that is supposed to be viewed from a distance. I would love some more space sim travel elements in Starfiled, something along the lines of Elite Dangerous, but Starfiled is a sci-fi RPG first and adding space sim stuff to the game would add a whole other layer of complexity for the devs and the gamer. I'm just glad Bethesda added some ship to ship combat to Starfield, something Mass Effect didn't have.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sengoku.
Isn't it goofy how Constellation has pretty much unlimited funds yet you, arguably the most important person of the group, get nothing?

Where's the company credit card, Stroud?
Even more ironic if you think that the old dude probably has done some shady shit in his life to get that rich but i'm the one getting scolded for asking money to do a service.

When even elex has better companions, you know you fucked up.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Step back and think about it. That video is pretty horrible. The sense of scale is WAY off. The ship was tens of thousands of miles away from the planet at the begining and after just a few boosts of the afterburners, the ship is at the planet. The size scale of the ship to the planet is WAY off as well and the rings are just lines, not a thick asteroid belt circleling the planet that can be flown into. The ship just literally flew to an art asset that is supposed to be viewed from a distance. I would love some more space sim travel elements in Starfiled, something along the lines of Elite Dangerous, but Starfiled is a sci-fi RPG first and adding space sim stuff to the game would add a whole other layer of complexity for the devs and the gamer. I'm just glad Bethesda added some ship to ship combat to Starfield, something Mass Effect didn't have.

Minor stuff to arrange and polish

The basics of it, the instancing is there.

Make a cool engine spooling and effects around ship when faster than light travel ala Elite Dangerous, bigger spool up and down than boosts. Make a certain distance you can approach a planet to stay in orbit, not go at texture level.

I bet even modders will do it.

So it would have been easy for Bethesda

You wouldn’t get planetary landing but still, exploring the solar system manually a bit to at least scan planets, a bit more exploration and I think it would have satisfied most complaints.

adamsapple

Main story.

Looks like things are picking up. After being accosted by an alien ship, I am not also attacked by random alien-space-suit looking dudes when I'm exiting the power vaults.

Interesting, let's see where this goes.

ZehDon

Because I was actually doing the Ryujin quest line at the time, I some extra dialogue options for that mission. I spared Juno and sent her off into the galaxy to explore. But, I also talked the two corpos into letting it happen to spare themselves the paper work. I flew them back to Neon, they were on my ship for a bit because... well, you know - I got distracted.

Unrelated, I just built my first outpost to act as a storage facility. Now I gotta start farming some resources so I can add to my base and make sure it can hold everything I want it to. 25 hours in, and it feels like I'm just about to exit the early game. Fucking wild.

Last edited:
Mods will make it reality but wow, that's an incredible feature to hide under the carpet.
It was never hidden, they mentioned before that planets and moons are actually there if you can see them because of accurate orbits and such, the ships just don't travel fast enough in-universe to do this, you'd have to travel several times the speed of light to make traversing even the solar system not supremely boring (it would take 33 minutes to travel from earth to jupiter at lightspeed).
The grav drive doesn't really accelerate the ships faster than light either, it just creates little wormholes to move ships between points; fun fact, developing the grav drive is the reason why earth is dead.

I guess if the game used more fantastical tech for space travel, they'd allow probably FTL travel speeds for travel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom