• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

SJRB

Gold Member
Quick, someone show this to the F*#KING PRONOUNCE guy:

UPod3hK.jpg

"F*#CKING" doesn't even make any sense.

Mad cringe nonetheless.

oji-san

Banned
Had my eyes on that Rejuvenation skill that lets you regen hp outside of combat, and it's very nice and suit my playstyle, at first i was thinking to get 4 levels of it as the description says it will also regen hp in combat but seeing on Reddit people saying it's bugged, than level 1 is enough, saves me having to use hp items between fights, not a must have but a qol skill to me, now i'm done with the physical tree and will move on to the tech tree and combat tree.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Had my eyes on that Rejuvenation skill that lets you regen hp outside of combat, and it's very nice and suit my playstyle, at first i was thinking to get 4 levels of it as the description says it will also regen hp in combat but seeing on Reddit people saying it's bugged, than level 1 is enough, saves me having to use hp items between fights, not a must have but a qol skill to me, now i'm done with the physical tree and will move on to the tech tree and combat tree.

I stopped at level 2 of that, works fine, level 2 is definitely faster than level 1 for me.

oji-san

Banned
Nice i see they are planning to add an eat option and HDR and brightness options, tbh it looks a bit bland and washed out on SX, turned off HDR but still a bit washed out, hope to see those additions soon.

"F*#CKING" doesn't even make any sense.

Mad cringe nonetheless.
If you ever go to any American malls or target you can either find something extremely close to that cup or possibly that exact cup. It’s dumb but as long as the profanity isn’t fully spelled out it’s ‘safe’ for public.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

You can also get a suit mod that does this exact thing. Must have imo.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lockpicking mini games need to die already. It's not like I won't be capable of solving the puzzle. It just slows you down and breaks the pacing.

It should be a skill check with a progress bar based on the lock difficulty. So you can't lockpick while being shot at.
What is the "Y autocomplete" option do? I thought it might let you rotate all the keys to fit whichever ring and basically solve the puzzle without actually having to use the keys as you go, then press Y to do it all at once, but I've tried and it doesn't seem to do that. I just assumed every lock was either solvable or not based on a random assortment of digikeys, but it any lock you can actually access ultimately solvable if you spend enough time on it? I agree it is laborious and these sorts of puzzles are overused in games. Huzzah for BG3 making it just a dice roll!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Didn't even start modding anything and i'm 35 hours in lol, good tip.. thanks.

What kind of skills you need to start modding?

Science skill tree. Start with Spacesuit Design + Weapon Engineering. You will need more to access the best mods. When you're using the crafting table it will tell you what perk you need.

jason10mm

Gold Member
it solves one of the options, more levels means you can bank more of those autocomplete or eliminate wrong ones completely.
Ahhhh, that helps. I think I'm level 2 so I have 3? autocompletes. Does that mean any lock with 3 rings or less I can just hit y and zip through it? Or only use 3 total until I rank up?

Sheesh, remember when games like this would have a fat spiral bound manual to answer these questions??? :p

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Science skill tree. Start with Spacesuit Design + Weapon Engineering. You will need more to access the best mods. When you're using the crafting table it will tell you what perk you need.
I am doing that now and you really can't get too far until you also get points in Chemistry, Gastronomy, all the roadblocks to upping the Research Table projects.

oji-san

Banned
I am doing that now and you really can't get too far until you also get points in Chemistry, Gastronomy, all the roadblocks to upping the Research Table projects.
A damn shame.. seems it needs too much skills points and i think my priorities are the tech and combat trees first.. i can't even open advanced locks yet.

What is the level cap? Thanks

Supposedly there isn't one, but you get an achievement for level 100.
I love this personally. I was overwhelmed and still am a bit by the perk system. At first I thought "this is so simple". But then I realized each one has 4 sub levels and it dawned on me that you DO have to make decisions when leveling and where you place your points is important, I absolutely love that. I always keep a few banked in case I decide I need something unforeseen and skills I thought *seemed* worthless prove to have value. I'm liking the setup a lot - do I wish we still had more such as attributes etc? Yeah, but I'm still enjoying this setup a lot. I like that by level 30 or even 40 you're not finished. Plenty more to want to get! I also like the sub challenges for each subskill, I think it's perfect basically (use the skill, access next tier).

Last edited:

Roberts

For those of you who haven't done much questing, I would recommend investing a point of two into Persuasion. Can cut some corners in quite a few quests. Also, even if you only have three persuasion points during the conversation, you get more chances if your last persuasion is successful.

And even though I swore not to waste my time on Starfield Review thread, I accidentally pressed on it and for a second was:"Holy smug self-satisfied salty gotcha Jesus, what happened to Starfield OT?" lol.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I love this personally. I was overwhelmed and still am a bit by the perk system. At first I thought "this is so simple". But then I realized each one has 4 sub levels and it dawned on me that you DO have to make decisions when leveling and where you place your points is important, I absolutely love that. I always keep a few banked in case I decide I need something unforeseen and skills I thought *seemed* worthless prove to have value. I'm liking the setup a lot - do I wish we still had more such as attributes etc? Yeah, but I'm still enjoying this setup a lot. I like that by level 30 or even 40 you're not finished. Plenty more to want to get! I also like the sub challenges for each subskill, I think it's perfect basically (use the skill, access next tier).
I really enjoy the challenges. Fun little checklist stuff that reminds me of their previous games. I like coming up with absurd ways to try and max them quickly. Back in the day on Morrowind I'd always put acrobatics as one of my skills then find the biggest stair case I could find, point the camera down and you can do little 1 cm micro jumps and collide with the stairs so you jump extremely rapidly. Would massively level up fast. Or finding a scrib and just leaving my character behind him in sneak for a couple hours and hitting 100. Compared to that these are all relatively easy challenges.

oji-san

Banned
For those of you who haven't done much questing, I would recommend investing a point of two into Persuasion. Can cut some corners in quite a few quests. Also, even if you only have three persuasion points during the conversation, you get more chances if your last persuasion is successful.

And even though I swore not to waste my time on Starfield Review thread, I accidentally pressed on it and for a second was:"Holy smug self-satisfied salty gotcha Jesus, what happened to Starfield OT?" lol.
Another skill i want.. it never ends.

I really enjoy the challenges. Fun little checklist stuff that reminds me of their previous games. I like coming up with absurd ways to try and max them quickly. Back in the day on Morrowind I'd always put acrobatics as one of my skills then find the biggest stair case I could find, point the camera down and you can do little 1 cm micro jumps and collide with the stairs so you jump extremely rapidly. Would massively level up fast. Or finding a scrib and just leaving my character behind him in sneak for a couple hours and hitting 100. Compared to that these are all relatively easy challenges.
lol, I still do that to this very day when I play Morrowind - anytime I encounter a set of stairs I'm doing the million micro jumps on the way up!

I enjoy them as well, I like that it's generally something you'd be doing anyway if you're acquiring the skill, nothing too crazy but something to make it feel like there is still some sort of "progression" since you don't actively gain "XP" from using skills like in TES.

A damn shame.. seems it needs too much skills points and i think my priorities are the tech and combat trees first.. i can't even open advanced locks yet.

What is the level cap? Thanks
And this is why I've been cheating by adding skill points. Shit like combat slide shouldn't be locked behind a skill wall.

By the way, I used a trainer to increase legendary drop rates by 100%. After a couple hours of farming, 90% of the drops were pure garbage. And 10% were just meh. Cherish your god rolls if you have them.

Last edited:
Do you guys look out for magazines that give you permanent stat boosts? I must have picked up 8-10 so far, usually in quest areas, but I have obviously missed many. Any of you know how many mags are there in the game?
Definitely. Once I found the first one I try to look real hard near endish areas of "main zones". I've maybe found about ten also, maybe a few more.

oji-san

Banned
Do you guys look out for magazines that give you permanent stat boosts? I must have picked up 8-10 so far, usually in quest areas, but I have obviously missed many. Any of you know how many mags are there in the game?
Found about 10 skill magazines, they pretty much stands out as much of the books have blank cover. You can sell them btw as the skills are permanent.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wha wha whaaaa? Those notebooks and shit lying around have value? How easy is it to distinguish between them or do you have to read everything? Maybe I've not found one yet if they glow, have a bright cover, or the HUB highlights them somehow.

Wha wha whaaaa? Those notebooks and shit lying around have value? How easy is it to distinguish between them or do you have to read everything? Maybe I've not found one yet if they glow, have a bright cover, or the HUB highlights them somehow.
It will have some kind of cover art and if you see the description when hovering it over it will say something like "permanent +5% damage to critical". Size of a piece of paper basically.

adamsapple

Some speculation based on where I think the plot is going, after the "All that money can buy" mission revelations.'

The Starborn seem like they're alternate-reality, or alternate-universe versions of a group like Constellation who are coming to try and stop our Constellation from making their mistakes.

Punished Miku

I will likely use a guide for that achievement at some point if that's even possible with the procedural generation, but I'm not too worried about it. The buffs are nice but fairly small. Just a fun little bonus.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It will have some kind of cover art and if you see the description when hovering it over it will say something like "permanent +5% damage to critical". Size of a piece of paper basically.
Ah. I've done some of the starter missions but either missed them or not gotten to any yet. But then, the rooms in this game are so large and filled with stuff, easy to miss. I at least hope the magazines have a title or cover art that relate to their bonus, like "Space Guns n' Ammo" giving a shooting bonus :p

Ah. I've done some of the starter missions but either missed them or not gotten to any yet. But then, the rooms in this game are so large and filled with stuff, easy to miss. I at least hope the magazines have a title or cover art that relate to their bonus, like "Space Guns n' Ammo" giving a shooting bonus :p
They are really easy to miss honestly. I only started looking really closely once I found that first one and then after finding a few more realized they were generally at the end of quest zones or areas, so I'll do 2-3 loops sometimes around a room double checking the final areas to be sure. Worth it to find for sure though, but I can't remember if the magazine name is related to the skill, but I think they are.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lockpicking mini games need to die already. It's not like I won't be capable of solving the puzzle. It just slows you down and breaks the pacing.

It should be a skill check with a progress bar based on the lock difficulty. So you can't lockpick while being shot at.
Yeah, the minigame is clever and original in the lockpicking panorama but it is time consuming on the last 2 difficulty mode.

Pakoe

Great, as expected with the fucking shit ass xbox app the last patch made it unable to start the game.
Whenever I start the game I get a 0x800704c7 error.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
What is the "Y autocomplete" option do? I thought it might let you rotate all the keys to fit whichever ring and basically solve the puzzle without actually having to use the keys as you go, then press Y to do it all at once, but I've tried and it doesn't seem to do that. I just assumed every lock was either solvable or not based on a random assortment of digikeys, but it any lock you can actually access ultimately solvable if you spend enough time on it? I agree it is laborious and these sorts of puzzles are overused in games. Huzzah for BG3 making it just a dice roll!
I'm curious about the lock picking in this game. From Oblivion through Fallout 4 I never invested points in lockpicking because if you hoard picks and are willing to spend a minute or two you can pretty easily open Very Hard locks even at base skill of 10.

I've seen players dump a ton of points into it to hit 100 Lockpick and never understood such a waste of points.

Curious if it's similar in Starfield.

Punished Miku

I'm curious about the lock picking in this game. From Oblivion through Fallout 4 I never invested points in lockpicking because if you hoard picks and are willing to spend a minute or two you can pretty easily open Very Hard locks even at base skill of 10.

I've seen players dump a ton of points into it to hit 100 Lockpick and never understood such a waste of points.

Curious if it's similar in Starfield.
You are gated from different tiers of locks until you get points, so you can't skip it.

adamsapple

The Auto Complete only puts 1 pick in one slot, it doesn't solve an entire line, just one.

"Auto complete" is a bit of mislabel to what it does lol.

Top Bottom