• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Regarding space battles. Particle weapons do both shield and hull damage. Using anything else is pointless. I have four particle turrets and four manual particle weapons so I don't get bored while turrets do all the work. My third weapon is an EMP one that I only power when I want to board a ship.

But ideally you don't want to have three weapons active at the same time.

The power system is also too simplistic. I was thinking about an overclock functionality where you temporarily increase a system capacity at the risk of damaging it. Also I think shields should offer damage mitigation instead of work as an extra health bar.

Many systems can be improved. I can already imagine a bunch of specific survival tweaks added by mods. Bethesda provides the base game and it's up to modders to build upon. And I honestly enjoy this games being this way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Regarding space battles. Particle weapons do both shield and hull damage. Using anything else is pointless. I have four particle turrets and four manual particle weapons so I don't get bored while turrets do all the work. My third weapon is an EMP one that I only power when I want to board a ship.

The power system is also too simplistic. I was thinking about an overclock functionality where you temporarily increase a system capacity at the risk of damaging it. Also I think shields should offer damage mitigation instead of work as an extra health bar.

Many systems can be improved. I can already imagine a bunch of specific survival tweaks added by mods. Bethesda provides the base game and it's up to modders to build upon. And I honestly enjoy this games being this way.

I have loaded my ship with nothing but particle weapons and it just shreds everything in equal measures.

4x 20 powered particle weapons with 5.00 rate of fire, so I'm doing 80 x 5 damage per second.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The Auto Complete only puts 1 pick in one slot, it doesn't solve an entire line, just one.

"Auto complete" is a bit of mislabel to what it does lol.
Big time. It only auto-completes the piece you're holding too. It doesn't tell you if that's the right ring to use it in either. It just literally slots it in if you want to not turn it a few degrees.

GymWolf

Gold Member

How are they called? and why they are useful to board ships?

Isn't disabling the engines with the rallenty mode the fastest way?

Sometimes it doesn't work because i destroy the ship before destroying the engines...

I'm pretty noob and bad at spacefighting and on very hard they fuck you up if they are more than 2.

How are they called? and why they are useful to board ships?

Isn't disabling the engines with the rallenty mode the fastest way?

Sometimes it doesn't work because i destroy the ship before destroying the engines...

I'm pretty noob and bad at spacefighting and on very hard they fuck you up if they are more than 2.
EMP weapons disable systems without causing damage. I think they usually have the word suppression in their names. When you check its stats look for EMP.

Go into target mode to use it. I'm not sure it does anything if you don't choose a specific system to target.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
EMP weapons disable systems without causing damage. I think they usually have the word suppression in their hands. When you check its stats look for EMP.
So you just get close, lock on, rallenty, aim for engine and use the emp?

One hit and you can board them?

Sweet.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Dropped it like a stone at the 24 hour mark. Here's my TED talk.

I'll preface this mini-non-review-just-getting-my-thoughts-down with a disclaimer that I'm not a Bethesda hater. I've completed TES 3-5 and Fallout 1-4 and had a good time with mostly everything with the exception of Fallout 4, and even then I played it for 56 hours with nothing better to do. I WANTED to love this and spend a month with it. But I can't pretend.

I'll also start with the positives. It plays better than anything they've made before, like a decent "real" shooter. It looks good with the caveat that it's *for their style of game, where freaks have to have the ability to put 10,000 sandwiches in a room and have the game not crash. It sounds good, no complaints there. Some story highlights, as below. But none of that makes up for the fact that the game is dreadfully boring.

The main quest being the worst part of the game is nothing new for Bethesda, but they've hit a new low with this one. I'm 2/3rds done and the "big emotional moment" had no impact on me because the companion they told me to care about that didn't make it out was as shallow as a shower, and everything I'd done up to that point was a mind numbing fetch quest for abilities I never needed or wanted to use. A handful of side quests were interesting. The Mantis stuff, one about a rogue AI, and parts of the factions. Looking at the length of each, I'd about finished the UC, most of the rangers, some crimson fleet and not much Ryujin. Most of that was banal as it comes with some highlights. The Hannibal Lecter stand-in was somewhat interesting for a brief minute. Couldn't even begin to pretend about a single companion and it really doesn't help that the VA is mediocre across the board.

I haven't spent a penny at vendors because no gear was worth it compared to what I could scavenge and I couldn't afford a ship until I found a much better one that handled every space fight fine anyway. I saw no immediate benefit in base building but tried it and quickly ran out of myrid types of resource required after wasting an hour fiddling around with the resource extraction minigame where you find the ideal spot on a planet. The benefit? More resources to build more base, I guess. I completed maybe two research projects that I didn't use. I never upgraded or crafted a single thing because I felt no need. There's systems piled upon systems that I feel have no tangible benefit because the game is ostensible a first-person shooter and you can complete the entire thing by peeking from behind a wall and consistently headshotting a bullet sponge for two minutes. I've spent most of my game in loading screens because physically travelling between these places is never worth it, and when you're forced to, 99% of the time it's pressing numlock+shift and moving the mouse until you get there with no resistance.

I'm genuinely happy for the people that are having a blast with this, I really am. I bet if you're a space nerd this is one of the games you've always dreamed of, along with NMS. Sad to say, the setting alone isn't enough to distract me from a list of issues far longer than this already too-long post goes into. I'm not even half finished with my complaints and I'm struggling to thing of further positive things to say. A game should not require 24 hours to "get good", let alone 6 or 12. If anyone actually wasted their time reading this, thank you, and I hope you're having fun. For me, it's back to Baldur's Gate 3 for a third run before Spider-Man 2 or maybe even the Cyberpunk DLC.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve managed to find brief glimpses of enjoyment now and again (mostly when I’ve been allowed to explore a decent area on a planet, which has happened once or twice so far), but my god, this game can be awful at times. The cities are shockingly bad.

I was quite looking forward to visiting Neon, until I actually got there. Fucking loading screen after loading screen with each and every elevator. And the place looks like a poor man’s Cyberpunk. Like New Atlantis, it’s so bland and lacking in imagination.

The only city (if you can call it that) that I’ve enjoyed exploring has been Akila, and even that place looks poor compared to something like Saint Denis from RDR2. But at least it looks almost last-gen at night time.

Topher

Gold Member
Dropped it like a stone at the 24 hour mark. Here's my TED talk.

I'll preface this mini-non-review-just-getting-my-thoughts-down with a disclaimer that I'm not a Bethesda hater. I've completed TES 3-5 and Fallout 1-4 and had a good time with mostly everything with the exception of Fallout 4, and even then I played it for 56 hours with nothing better to do. I WANTED to love this and spend a month with it. But I can't pretend.

I'll also start with the positives. It plays better than anything they've made before, like a decent "real" shooter. It looks good with the caveat that it's *for their style of game, where freaks have to have the ability to put 10,000 sandwiches in a room and have the game not crash. It sounds good, no complaints there. Some story highlights, as below. But none of that makes up for the fact that the game is dreadfully boring.

The main quest being the worst part of the game is nothing new for Bethesda, but they've hit a new low with this one. I'm 2/3rds done and the "big emotional moment" had no impact on me because the companion they told me to care about that didn't make it out was as shallow as a shower, and everything I'd done up to that point was a mind numbing fetch quest for abilities I never needed or wanted to use. A handful of side quests were interesting. The Mantis stuff, one about a rogue AI, and parts of the factions. Looking at the length of each, I'd about finished the UC, most of the rangers, some crimson fleet and not much Ryujin. Most of that was banal as it comes with some highlights. The Hannibal Lecter stand-in was somewhat interesting for a brief minute. Couldn't even begin to pretend about a single companion and it really doesn't help that the VA is mediocre across the board.

I haven't spent a penny at vendors because no gear was worth it compared to what I could scavenge and I couldn't afford a ship until I found a much better one that handled every space fight fine anyway. I saw no immediate benefit in base building but tried it and quickly ran out of myrid types of resource required after wasting an hour fiddling around with the resource extraction minigame where you find the ideal spot on a planet. The benefit? More resources to build more base, I guess. I completed maybe two research projects that I didn't use. I never upgraded or crafted a single thing because I felt no need. There's systems piled upon systems that I feel have no tangible benefit because the game is ostensible a first-person shooter and you can complete the entire thing by peeking from behind a wall and consistently headshotting a bullet sponge for two minutes. I've spent most of my game in loading screens because physically travelling between these places is never worth it, and when you're forced to, 99% of the time it's pressing numlock+shift and moving the mouse until you get there with no resistance.

I'm genuinely happy for the people that are having a blast with this, I really am. I bet if you're a space nerd this is one of the games you've always dreamed of, along with NMS. Sad to say, the setting alone isn't enough to distract me from a list of issues far longer than this already too-long post goes into. I'm not even half finished with my complaints and I'm struggling to thing of further positive things to say. A game should not require 24 hours to "get good", let alone 6 or 12. If anyone actually wasted their time reading this, thank you, and I hope you're having fun. For me, it's back to Baldur's Gate 3 for a third run before Spider-Man 2 or maybe even the Cyberpunk DLC.

Sucks the game didn't grab you. I agree that the game has too much of a slow burn in the beginning. 24 hours is more than enough time to figure out that the game isn't for you. Too many games available this year to spin your wheels on one that isn't doing it for you.

Antwix

This guy is playing Starfield like Dishonored. (Spoiler Warning: you will see a couple of abilities acquired after the ‘into the unknown’ main mission.)

Great video. I've been absolutely loving my decision to max stealth. Still gotta level a bit to get concealment but it's been super fun. I've been trying to steadily swap my weapons to get suppressor variants since it's just so satisfying to kill with those.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Is this possible, to beat the main quest, keep playing and max out all the skills, then enter NG+, or do I only get the chance once?

Punished Miku

Great video. I've been absolutely loving my decision to max stealth. Still gotta level a bit to get concealment but it's been super fun. I've been trying to steadily swap my weapons to get suppressor variants since it's just so satisfying to kill with those.
It's my #1 goal. Still not there yet. I managed to sneak up on a spacer last night still in his bed though lol. Head shot about 4 guards silently to get to him and then noticed he didn't even wake up. Took him out with the cutlass.

I still get spotted a lot though.

adamsapple

Is this possible, to beat the main quest, keep playing and max out all the skills, then enter NG+, or do I only get the chance once?

From what I have read

as soon as you 'beat' the game, you are automatically thrusted into NG+, there is no "free-roam" after beating the story.

Topher

Gold Member
From what I have read

as soon as you 'beat' the game, you are automatically thrusted into NG+, there is no "free-roam" after beating the story.

Hmm, not what was said earlier.

So in the final area it gives you two options, in the least spoilery way, keep walking forward for a minute or two to start NG+, or turn around and walk backwards and you'll wake up back in your ship and the mission to go back to there will still be in your quest list but will just say to go when you're ready, your companions will even have things to say about you coming back which was neat.

Antwix

It's my #1 goal. Still not there yet. I managed to sneak up on a spacer last night still in his bed though lol. Head shot about 4 guards silently to get to him and then noticed he didn't even wake up. Took him out with the cutlass.

I still get spotted a lot though.
Yeah I still get spotted a bit too. It's seems a bit inconsistent but I think concealment will help a bunch though. I decided to go for Weapons Engineering first to consistently add suppressors to my guns but after another level or 2, I'm heading straight for concealment.

Punished Miku

Yeah I still get spotted a bit too. It's seems a bit inconsistent but I think concealment will help a bunch though. I decided to go for Weapons Engineering first to consistently add suppressors to my guns but after another level or 2, I'm heading straight for concealment.
I'm going for concealment now. Gotta max out a tier 2 physical skill first. 2 more pts to go.

Antwix

I'm going for concealment now. Gotta max out a tier 2 physical skill first. 2 more pts to go.
Just curious what physical skills you are taking. I got stealth and weight lifting maxed but I'm not really sure what to do next. Maybe gymnastics? Maybe a spread of gymnasitics/health/something else? I don't know. I think I need like 3 points or so to unlock tier4. Some of the physical skills seem underwhelming and not very useful.

Punished Miku

Just curious what physical skills you are taking. I got stealth and weight lifting maxed but I'm not really sure what to do next. Maybe gymnastics? Maybe a spread of gymnasitics/health/something else? I don't know. I think I need like 3 points or so to unlock tier4. Some of the physical skills seem underwhelming and not very useful.
I went with environmental conditioning because I always run into those stupid gas vents and I said fuck it, why not lol. That's why I was standing in one for 10 minutes yesterday leveling it up for the challenge.

Gymnastics would probably have been more useful lol. I think I'm picking weird stuff, but it's fine.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I started over just before the end of early access and after creating the character I have not had large chunks ( :messenger_winking: ) of time to play. I have been goofing around and AshleyFromWork just dinged level 21. I have not even started the main missions yet. I should probably get on that soon.

I was really down on this game but after restarting it's becoming my goty.
I saw an article about the J Sterling 4/10 review and that's just downright wrong, that score isn't an opinion it's about getting YouTube and website views.
Sterling is also the champion of great AA games. This is just not up their alley (and I also think the score is to get people talking as well). It's unfortunate as I at one time would listen to Podtoid every week.

Punished Miku

I was really down on this game but after restarting it's becoming my goty.
I saw an article about the J Sterling 4/10 review and that's just downright wrong, that score isn't an opinion it's about getting YouTube and website views.
People can give whatever score they want. I just make a note on whether or not I want to listen to them ever again. Sterling has already reviewed numerous games inexplicably harshly that totally did not match up with my taste at all for the last 10 years all the way back at Destructoid.

LordOfChaos

I'm only about 2 hours in, I was away

But....There is a lot of loading. Load. Go to planet. Load. Talk to person, exit room. Load. Go back to ship. Load. Go to another planet...Load....

Why can't I just open a door, walk up a ladder, or use an elevator or train without that lol. There's parts of this that still seem very Skyrim era, and we're supposed to have these fast SSDs this gen that make this a thing of the past. The intro load is over a minute on Xbox.

I'm only about 2 hours in, I was away

But....There is a lot of loading. Load. Go to planet. Load. Talk to person, exit room. Load. Go back to ship. Load. Go to another planet...Load....

Why can't I just open a door, walk up a ladder, or use an elevator or train without that lol. There's parts of this that still seem very Skyrim era, and we're supposed to have these fast SSDs this gen that make this a thing of the past. The intro load is over a minute on Xbox.
What do you mean by "intro load"? That sounds terrible.. All of the load times for me are measured in single digit seconds or less through any point in the game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Reminder to use those thrusters if you got em

Every time I try to use thrusters they start and don't stop until it uses up all the energy and has to rebuild. It's weird. Most games you can thrust a little bit at a time.

Also, do you have auto turrets on that ship?

Last edited:

Bkdk

Most anticipated content from starfield for me now is what the modders of the fallout remake projects would do. hopefully they will decide to put their fallout 1, 2, 3, NV remake on creation engine 2. Would be closer to what I hoped for with bethesda's game than starfield for sure.

This is consistent with my experience, a minute to get in, and loads all over the place in gameplay after. You're playing on PC and this is not the case?

Okay, gotcha. You're talking about from hitting start (from a dashboard) to getting into the game. I'd say from hitting start on Steam to getting into the game it could be up to a minute (logos, etc), but I'll check in a while just out of curiosity.

Yeah, I'm on PC. I watched a little further and those are pretty long load times once you're in the game, it's much faster on my PC. I think the longest load time for any kind of transition (to a world, to a ship, to a building) might be five seconds or so. But most of them are probably 1-3 seconds.

adamsapple

Is there an easier way to find out which biomes on a planet may have Fauna you haven't scanned yet ?

I'm doing the Sumati survey quest and have done the traits, the flora and resources, but stuck on 2/4 Fauna and no idea where the other 2 types of animals might be.

Punished Miku

Is there an easier way to find out which biomes on a planet may have Fauna you haven't scanned yet ?

I'm doing the Sumati survey quest and have done the traits, the flora and resources, but stuck on 2/4 Fauna and no idea where the other 2 types of animals might be.
On the planet view scanner just randomly select spots and it shows a percentage for the whole area. You have to land for the breakdown.

Also make sure you look for rare coastal areas for fish in the ocean. Birds in the sky are also elusive.

Orbital2060

If the combat slide works like I think it does, thats something I need. But its locked behind 4 skill points in the first tier. Ive got 4 skills right now - Security, Medicine, Laser (Cybernetics class) + Persuasion (which has come real handy) - and dont want to spread the points out too much.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does the persuasion skill add new dialogue options or just make the persuasion mini game easier? I can't believe how much of this game is gated behind skills you don't even know about or things like the starter abilities you gotta pick before you even know how the game plays. I guess it's better than a lengthy tutorial and I suppose it doesn't really matter (but then why bother doing it?) But it irks me that so many of these RPGs have such elaborate character creation options with no really lore to explain them.

This is consistent with my experience, a minute to get in, and loads all over the place in gameplay after. You're playing on PC and this is not the case?

Just booted up the game from Steam and it takes ~30 seconds from launch to being able to move around in game.

I traveled from one planet to another, not counting the "grav drive" cutscene (which may be important), it was maybe 3 seconds. Choosing a random quest out of my quest log on Neon and pressing "R" to set course and fast travel there was about 3 seconds. Loading a save game from within the game is about 5.5 seconds. Going from some random place fast travel to lodge was about 11 seconds, and going from the lodge (outside of it) straight to Akila did take 13 seconds, that's the longest one I found in my short testing.

So yeah it sounds like they are kind of slow on Series X - outside of launching the game I've never had loading come anywhere near 26 seconds I see cited in there to get on some planet. But it does look like my initial estimate was a little off, but I was never timing it before. I'd say more like 2-10 seconds on average with an occasional slightly longer one depending on where you're going.

Top Bottom