• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Roberts

I see posts like this for this game and I am just sat here like

Benny Hill What GIF

I think some of you didn't play any games since 2012 or something. Surely. šŸ¤£

Do tell more. I also think these are some of the best quest lines in an RPG and I have played most of these games, both old and new.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Benny Hill What GIF

I'm doing this one and i have no idea why people love it so much other than the cool premise and "space pirates".

The boss reminds me of this dude

maxresdefault.jpg

64f11fc61d1e2.png

and they want me to fear and respect this idiot or the masculine snarky stronk woman? Gtfo :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Tbh, interest levels waning steadily. Feels like Iā€™m most of the way through the Freestar Ranger questline. Did a gang quest line on Neon and some other stuff there.

Itā€™s so bland, and also this weirdly catty matriarchal galaxy; one-dimensional unlikeable Powerful Women are in charge of literally everything.

Iā€™ll keep going so as to try Ryujin and Crimson Fleet. Hopefully those are a bit more interesting. I have 300,000 credits with nothing to spend it on already.

Pakoe

Great, as expected with the fucking shit ass xbox app the last patch made it unable to start the game.
Whenever I start the game I get a 0x800704c7 error.
Well fuck Microsoft. Nothing can fix this shitty xbox app error. I was having an okay time with the game but I'm not that mad not being able to play the game anymore. Just knew the error was coming that's whats pissing me off.

I'd give the game a 7,5/10 for now, after 20 hours or so. It's not bad, and can be enjoyable.

+ Combat is good. I installed a mod to make everything less spongy and I actually started to enjoy the combat more. Movement was fine too, although I didn't unlock the combat slide. Stealth was kinda weird though. Felt like enemies knew exactly where I was even with 2 points spent in Sneak.
+ Shipbuilding was actually pretty cool and didn't feel tacked on. Didn't get to basebuilding but seeing what people made with F4, this should even be better.
+ Not just being able to select perks but actually having to complete certain tasks just to unlock the next level was fun, when it works.
+- Graphics look good, at certain points. When the lightnings perfect, shots can look really good and at times I was amazed that this was running on their shitty engine. There were enough times where it looked like a good old Bethesda ass Bethesda game though. Doesn't warrant the low FPS I was getting with a 3080 and 5800X.
+- They tried to make it more of an RPG compared to F4 which sounds good on paper, except none of the options actually matter. Most of the times all answers still come down to "I'll do it". Sarah got mad at me for killing folks and said she went back to the Lodge. Couple of hours she was my bestie again. I had a side quest where I murdered some people and the quest giver got mad. He said one line about it and the line after that we we're cool again. It just doesn't matter.
- I loved exploring in Bethesda games but it just doesn't hit the same in SF. The procgen area's arent that interesting as the handmade ones. Sightseeing in previous games was more fun compared to these dry ass random planets.
- Loading screens after loading screens. On my PC I waited a second or two per screen, but it starts stacking up and that's when it starts getting annoying.
- I shouldn't mess with ini files or install mods and workarounds just for the game to work and/or be stable. Took me a couple of tries to get a somewhat solid FPS going.
- Companions are fucking boring. I don't give a single fuck about any of em. I didn't meet a single person that wasn't so perfectly good and wanted to do everything by the rules. After BG3 this was even more obvious.
- Persuasion is RNG I guess? I didn't get the system at all. I tried reloading certain sections and all of a sudden certain options worked?

Last edited:

naguanatak

Anyone else running with Hunted trait? It's the funniest shit ever. You get chased by Bounty Hunters and these idiots are chased by Bounty Defenders. A group of imbeciles that defend you until the bounty on your head is high enough and only then they want to take you down. I'm killing both, stilling their gear and ships. Zero F's given.
I do, yeah. Only had two attacks so far but the last one was the one you're describing, a hunter explaining that they defend me to raise the bounty until it's high enough they will attack me themselves. Let them come šŸ˜Ž

Every time I try to use thrusters they start and don't stop until it uses up all the energy and has to rebuild. It's weird. Most games you can thrust a little bit at a time.

If you're talking about boosting (clicking right stick) then just decelerate to stop the boost whenever.
Thrusters are activated with RB once you have 1 (or 2?:pie_thinking:) skill point in piloting

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Benny Hill What GIF

I can't imagine thinking this way. The premise is that if you ever play a great game you can't ever play anything beneath it in any way. Are you ever able to play retro games? Indie games? AA games? I play all that stuff. I can appreciate a game for all kinds of reasons as long as its bringing something fun or interesting. If I actually got to the point that my standards were so raised that Starfield is an unplayable joke to me, I'd probably not be able to play 99% of the games that come out - ruling out basically every AA and indie game in existence, and would spend my time making threads about how this gen sucks and gaming is doomed like so many other people do on here. I am almost the opposite of that mindset. I can find a lot of enjoyment out of AA games that have some issues if they're doing other things really creatively or really well.

Starfield is not even remotely close to the cutoff of "unplayable" for me. It's literally one of my top 10 games ever, easily the most expansive and in depth sci-fi RPG I've ever played, and my favorite WRPG - surpassing Morrowind on gameplay, quests, all of it except the crazy game breaking crafting/spell customization that will never be topped. But even if it was plagued by severe performance and control issues to the extent of something like Alpha Protocol, I could still love the game if it has things in it that I find enjoyable and worth experiencing. Usually those are the games that are most interesting to me because they take chances and try new things out.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Anyone else on PC noticing an increase in performance since yesterday's update? I'm not getting drops in New Atlantis like I was before.

If you're talking about boosting (clicking right stick) then just decelerate to stop the boost whenever.
Thrusters are activated with RB once you have 1 (or 2?:pie_thinking:) skill point in piloting

I'll try that. Thanks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All I can say is that CSS filter blur should be increased from the 6px that we have now to like 16px or more because you can still clearly see what's in that picture!

I'll edit it into a genuine-ass spoiler tag.

It caught me by a massive surprise when I saw it lol

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I haven't done Red Mile yet. There are some quests that I just may not get to. I keep getting distracted by setting up the outposts and sort of wandering around. So far my favorite questline has been the UC Vanguard stuff, that was pretty cool overall. Memorable. When I finished it the congrats from people and the rewards stood out. Looks like there's another UC storyline to go undercover in the Crimson Fleet ... that has the feel of another long and winding story that I'm holding off on now to try other stuff like Freestar.

I can't imagine thinking this way. The premise is that if you ever play a great game you can't ever play anything beneath it in any way. Are you ever able to play retro games? Indie games? AA games? I play all that stuff. I can appreciate a game for all kinds of reasons as long as its bringing something fun or interesting. If I actually got to the point that my standards were so raised that Starfield is an unplayable joke to me, I'd probably not be able to play 99% of the games that come out - ruling out basically every AA and indie game in existence, and would spend my time making threads about how this gen sucks and gaming is doomed like so many other people do on here.

Agreed. It's all about whether or not a game can draw you in and make you want to continue playing, so far I'm always looking forward to jumping back and seeing what I can do next. How a game achieves this can be completely different, everything from the ultra simple to the incredibly complex can do the trick if done well.

Sometimes a game that is considered "great" by critics just doesn't click with you. I've tried to get started on one of the major games that is supposed to be one of the best franchises around, and have been unable to maintain interest any of the three times I've tried. It's just a boring push left, hit X type deal for me with a ridiculous amount of cringe cut scenes. It is what it is, just play what you enjoy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Tbh, interest levels waning steadily. Feels like Iā€™m most of the way through the Freestar Ranger questline. Did a gang quest line on Neon and some other stuff there.

Itā€™s so bland, and also this weirdly catty matriarchal galaxy; one-dimensional unlikeable Powerful Women are in charge of literally everything.

Iā€™ll keep going so as to try Ryujin and Crimson Fleet. Hopefully those are a bit more interesting. I have 300,000 credits with nothing to spend it on already.

If you can increase it to ~500K, you can buy the Narwhal class ship from Ryujin's showroom, it's by-far the best ship money can buy in the game. You won't be wanting for spaceship stuff anymore afterward.

Wasn't much to that one, was there?

Yeah, I was hoping it would be more randomized with different variances, but it's not.

Bit of a let-down that one.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Agreed. It's all about whether or not a game can draw you in and make you want to continue playing, so far I'm always looking forward to jumping back and seeing what I can do next. How a game achieves this can be completely different, everything from the ultra simple to the incredibly complex can do the trick if done well.

Sometimes a game that is considered "great" by critics just doesn't click with you. I've tried to get started on one of the major games that is supposed to be one of the best franchises around, and have been unable to maintain interest any of the three times I've tried. It's just a boring push left, hit X type deal for me with a ridiculous amount of cringe cut scenes. It is what it is, just play what you enjoy.
I really almost never care if people criticize a game, even fairly harshly which I can do sometimes. We saw some truly wild 4/10 reviews coming out and I barely said a word about it. I just don't go there for opinions on games because none of it matches my experience.

What I truly detest is people trying to control the boundaries of "acceptable opinion." The goal is to set the narrative, and if you deviate from that narrative, you are officially suspect, a troll, a shill, an alt, etc. Not content with hating the game themselves, they want everyone else to also hate the game. I'm not at all saying that's what happened here in this thread, just a general comment about when I find criticism annoying. I control what I think about a game, not anyone else.

I was on here when FFXIII came out. I can see the flaws in the level design and how it can be a brutal grind with no cities. Despite that I loved the game, the OST, the character designs, the phenomenal art design, the battle system, the lore of the world. I was subjected to absolutely incredible peer pressure to try and make me feel like a moron for liking it, and to try and get me to change my mind. It literally can't work on me. I just get home and turn the game on, get to the start screen, and if I'm excited to jump back in, I'm excited. I like talking about games and I get people can get rowdy sometimes, but there's a barrier for me that people cross when they try to literally force me to think something else.

TLDR: Don't tell me what I'm allowed to think. Simple.

Last edited:

I just roll my eyes everytime. I guess that's western entertainment writing in 2023.

Punished Miku

How could anyone "literally" force you to think anything on a BBS?

avin
Maybe I'm abusing the word "literally," but I'm talking about bullying and group think / peer pressure that is evident constantly throughout the site. For me, it doesn't work. But for most people I see it work and I see the parameters of debate shrink to what they want on virtually every major release. Then you see the types of threads years later where people start to think for themselves and figure out their own opinion after the peer pressure subsides. People in the past have criticized me for calling out toxic cliques that develop on this site and I have turned out to be completely in the right twice. To get into any more detail about it risks another ban, and isn't really that relevant to this thread.

mansoor1980

when you upgrade your ship you get the msg that "parts were moved to ship cargo"
what does that mean?i dont see any parts in the ship cargo

Last edited:

adamsapple

when you upgrade your ship you get the msg that "parts were moved to ship cargo"
what does that mean?i dont see any parts in the ship cargo

All the junk, not any of the cargo or upgrade parts.

In your new ship, check its inventory, you'll see the MISC area is flooded with those things like lamps and shit.

Thereā€™s a lot of tribalism when it comes to video games wether itā€™s the my prefer way of playing is better then your prefer way of playing or the this game is better then this game crowds but the one thing that keeps popping up at least from what Iā€™ve seen the crowd who wanted a next gen leap are dissatisfied with this game understandable you want games to leap to a new age and your disappointed this gen hasnā€™t provided that as for the other crowd like me who donā€™t really care we just like playing fun games doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s a new leap or not doesnā€™t matter if the story is mind blowing itā€™s just fun and thatā€™s what I want.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Here's what one of those magazines look like in the wild, came across one and thouhht I'd grab a screenshot.
Yeah, I ran across one
gun magazine on the table outside of the office of the Marshall on Akila
so I guess eventually there will be a fan made scavenger hunt list you can use to go back and get them, unless some quest areas close off later?

SJRB

Gold Member

Yeah I haven't played for two days even though I have the week off. Feels like I've seen most of what the game has to offer and none of it is really enticing enough to boot up the game.

Ryujin is legit trash. The office is cool and the idea of hardcore corporate espionage and sabotage is great, but man the quests are so insanely low effort throwaway nonsense. At least the first 6 or so, but there's no reason to assume it will suddenly improve dramatically.

(If you dislike the matriarchal power women in charge of everything you're not gonna like Ryujin from the get-go)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah I haven't played for two days even though I have the week off. Feels like I've seen most of what the game has to offer and none of it is really enticing enough to boot up the game.

Ryujin is legit trash. The office is cool and the idea of hardcore corporate espionage and sabotage is great, but man the quests are so insanely low effort throwaway nonsense. At least the first 6 or so, but there's no reason to assume it will suddenly improve dramatically.

(If you dislike the matriarchal power women in charge of everything you're not gonna like Ryujin from the get-go)

bitch sent me to buy some coffee and i never went back :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

bitch sent me to buy some coffee and i never went back :lollipop_squinting:

At least that was in the same location. At some point she actually sends you to aquila to pick up a key card, lmao. You literally traverse the galaxy back and forth as if you're driving to the 7/11 to pick up a cherry coke.

Riveting gameplay and narrative.

Chukhopops

I'm not sure what to do in the "Into the unknown" quest on the part where
you go to the ice planet and have to find the gravitational distortions, I found two and it seems the scanner takes me back to where I started?

How many am I supposed to find?

And btw if you have Nvidia card, make sure to update the driver, performance is way better. I now almost never dip under 60 fps with a 4070.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm not sure what to do in the "Into the unknown" quest on the part where
you go to the ice planet and have to find the gravitational distortions, I found two and it seems the scanner takes me back to where I started?

How many am I supposed to find?

And btw if you have Nvidia card, make sure to update the driver, performance is way better. I now almost never dip under 60 fps with a 4070.

Open your scanner and scan area around you. When you see the circle in the middle 'glitching', you need to go in that direction. You need to find the temple, not the anomaly.

manlisten

Nothing better than doing a Master lock on a computer and all you can do after is turn off turrets youve already shot down
Thereā€™s one that I encountered fairly early on that led to a little side quest and a bit of storytelling, Iā€™m hoping thereā€™s more of that sprinkled in later on.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
On the bright side the following video helped me understand how hab connections work. And my ship now feels more functional with only one ladder in the main section.

I refuse to go online for any tips and wanted to change a research station into a weapon upgrade bench since I had 2 research stations after expanding my habitat + cargo.

Honestly I just stumbled on this after choosing "Edit" where you can cycle between pharma stuff, workbenches and the other one I can't remember.

Top Bottom