• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

twilo99

Gold Member

This is consistent with my experience, a minute to get in, and loads all over the place in gameplay after. You're playing on PC and this is not the case?

Same on PC, just shorter load times, and I don't know if this is a CPU limited thing or just lack of optimization

Antwix

If the combat slide works like I think it does, thats something I need. But its locked behind 4 skill points in the first tier. Ive got 4 skills right now - Security, Medicine, Laser (Cybernetics class) + Persuasion (which has come real handy) - and dont want to spread the points out too much.
Yeah I'm debating the gymnastics combat slide but I don't know how useful it'll actually be. I'll probably get it cuz I'm not seeing a ton of usefulness in the early physical tree that I haven't already gotten. Persuasion has been fantastic. I got 3 points into it.

Does the persuasion skill add new dialogue options or just make the persuasion mini game easier? I can't believe how much of this game is gated behind skills you don't even know about or things like the starter abilities you gotta pick before you even know how the game plays. I guess it's better than a lengthy tutorial and I suppose it doesn't really matter (but then why bother doing it?) But it irks me that so many of these RPGs have such elaborate character creation options with no really lore to explain them.
I don't believe you need the actual skill for persuasion dialogue choices to pop up. The skill just makes it easier to pass and keeps the conversation going during the check. I think persuasion is worth it. I also took bribery (just 1 point into it) but it hasn't been worth it in my opinion. I think I only used it once.

I know there's additional dialogue based on your traits and factions though.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Does the persuasion skill add new dialogue options or just make the persuasion mini game easier? I can't believe how much of this game is gated behind skills you don't even know about or things like the starter abilities you gotta pick before you even know how the game plays. I guess it's better than a lengthy tutorial and I suppose it doesn't really matter (but then why bother doing it?) But it irks me that so many of these RPGs have such elaborate character creation options with no really lore to explain them.
There are multiple additional tiers that do that in row 2. Intimidation is one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
On the planet view scanner just randomly select spots and it shows a percentage for the whole area. You have to land for the breakdown.

Also make sure you look for rare coastal areas for fish in the ocean. Birds in the sky are also elusive.
This was helpful thanks, at least the game is nice enough to let you know when you've tapped a biome for its flaura or fauna.

Otherwise people would be banging their head in the same zone for Infinity.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
err 300dmg handgun.. lol

This is the one I'm using. I wouldn't recommend Binary Trigger modification (that's why I have 7/8 mods installed). Recoil is crazy and it's a waste of ammo as most targets die from 1-2 shots anyway.

cb37v2F.jpg

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
There are Briberly dialogue options you can unlock in whatever tree Persuasion is in. There’s also one called “Isolation” which raises damage output if you’re rollin solo…which is right up my alley.

Roberts

I was really down on this game but after restarting it's becoming my goty.
I saw an article about the J Sterling 4/10 review and that's just downright wrong, that score isn't an opinion it's about getting YouTube and website views.

I actually never expected the game to be universally adored and loved (I think I optimistically rated it in low 80’s in the other thread’s poll). There was a lot of speculation about what kind of a game it is and a lot of that turned out to be wrong or misguided. Purely anecdotical case: two of my closest gaming friends picked it up and gave up after playing for a few hours. They said they were disappointed not because of the slow start but because they got a different game that they were expecting. Loading screens and stuff like that didn’t help either. I convinced them to try it again, gave them some tips and now a week later they are totally obsessed with it. It will never be a game for everyone.

Anyhoo, found Apollo mission site on the Moon. Borrowed a camera from Kubrick and snapped a few shots. Also, middle section of UC Vanguard quest line game me strong Mass Effect vibes with all the diplomacy and high stakes scenario. Lolled at Hannibal Lecter homage.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Trying to get back what’s essentially a collection of stolen Grimes tracks from some stalker junkie in Neon. What a pain in the balls.

Love that junkie addicts are the hardest ones to persuade 😆👌🏼

adamsapple

Trying to get back what’s essentially a collection of stolen Grimes tracks from some stalker junkie in Neon. What a pain in the balls.

Love that junkie addicts are the hardest ones to persuade 😆👌🏼

I think I know exactly which mission you're talking about, and yes that fucker had a HUGE persuasion bar.

adamsapple

That add new dialogue options??

There's options that make it easier with intimidation or bribery in dialogue options (which would, technically yes, add 'new' dialogue options).

err 300dmg handgun.. lol

The Beowulf line of weaponry has been very good to me, so I'm sticking to it. Great combination of power + fire rate + accuracy and range.

starfield-2023_09_13-rseta.png

---------

Also, I'm gonna put this under a transparent spoiler tag, but holy shit what the fuck is this thing I came across planet surveying !!!!

It's a Starborn ship just chilling on a planet, It has a door but it says inaccessible so I couldn't hijack it. :(

starfield-2023_09_13-g4fe9.png

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Just booted up the game from Steam and it takes ~30 seconds from launch to being able to move around in game.

I traveled from one planet to another, not counting the "grav drive" cutscene (which may be important), it was maybe 3 seconds. Choosing a random quest out of my quest log on Neon and pressing "R" to set course and fast travel there was about 3 seconds. Loading a save game from within the game is about 5.5 seconds. Going from some random place fast travel to lodge was about 11 seconds, and going from the lodge (outside of it) straight to Akila did take 13 seconds, that's the longest one I found in my short testing.

So yeah it sounds like they are kind of slow on Series X - outside of launching the game I've never had loading come anywhere near 26 seconds I see cited in there to get on some planet. But it does look like my initial estimate was a little off, but I was never timing it before. I'd say more like 2-10 seconds on average with an occasional slightly longer one depending on where you're going.

It sounds like PC is the better way to go, but it does also just seem like a lack of optimization for the SSDs in Series. I feel like I'm back in Skyrim where opening a door would lead to a load screen, feels like a throwback to far older games. All these multi part fetch quests get far more annoying with all the loads you hit. Unfortunate.

It sounds like PC is the better way to go, but it does also just seem like a lack of optimization for the SSDs in Series. I feel like I'm back in Skyrim where opening a door would lead to a load screen, feels like a throwback to far older games. All these multi part fetch quests get far more annoying with all the loads you hit. Unfortunate.
You can fast travel to areas related to quests very quickly from the quest log menu - there should be a hotkey. In cases where you're looking to get back to X place fast as possible, that's probably the best bet. It will drop you off close, don't even have to worry about ship, trams, whatever. I use it occasionally, can at least reduce some loading fatigue depending on where you're trying to go.

But yeah - I don't know the exact specs of XSX or what would be causing the load times to be so much worse on console. Maybe less RAM also? Not sure but I rarely notice/have it bother me on PC.

twilo99

Gold Member
I'm stuck with the crimson fleet... I think its supposed to update to "the best there is" mission but for whatever reason I'm only stuck with search for evidence after I talk to Ikande and Loft

tryDEATH

60 Hours in and my biggest gripe with the game is the quest/mission menu. It lacks structure and visual information to streamline the flow of the game. These are primarily QoL features, that could exceptionally expedite the quest/mission to quest/mission transition. I want more icon's, color grading of priority and mystic. Also more detailed information like if they are a planetary mission, system wide mission, or wider.

Stuart360

Apparently the DLSS mod on the Nexus has had over 500k downloads, and is now the highest downloaded mod in the history of Nexus.
It makes you wonder how many copies of the game have been sold already, especially as i'm pretty certain you cant mod Gamepass games..

Last edited:
Apparently the DLSS mod on the Nexus has had over 500k downloads, and is now the highest downloaded mod in the history of Nexus.
It makes you wonder how many copies of the game have been sold already, especially as i'm pretty certain you cant mod Gamepass games..
Interesting question and good thinking. Then you have Steam users like me who rarely use a mod (definitely don't have any for Starfield).

Been trying to get a special companion quest for Barrett to pop (called Worlds Apart), but I've been max affinity with the dude for hours and it's still nowhere to be seen. A quick google search tells me it's a common bugged quest. Wouldn't be a Bethesda game without bugged quests... really wish they fixed it with today's patch but alas, they delivered the bare minimum for their first post-launch patch.

Gonna have to use console commands to spawn the quest, but that'll disable achievements, so I'll have to mod them back in... sigh.

Just Bethesda Things...

Last edited:

Stuart360

I’m using the DLSS mod, neutral LUTs, and wider FOV with the Gamepass version.
So you can actually mod Gamepass games?, because i'm sure people on here have said they couldnt when they tried. I havent tried myself to mod a Gamepass game but i have tried to access the installation folders before but they have always been locked away, which makes sense really as obviously MS have to do something to stop people from just downloading a game and keeping it lol.

twilo99

Gold Member
So you can actually mod Gamepass games?, because i'm sure people on here have said they couldnt when they tried. I havent tried myself to mod a Gamepass game but i have tried to access the installation folders before but they have always been locked away, which makes sense really as obviously MS have to do something to stop people from just downloading a game and keeping it lol.

The current mods are not "real mods" and yes, whatever they are work fine with the gamepass version of the game. We will see how things look once they ship the real deal next year.

adamsapple

The current mods are not "real mods" and yes, whatever they are work fine with the gamepass version of the game. We will see how things look once they ship the real deal next year.

I gotta imagine whatever creation kit suite they put out *has* to be compatible with GP as well.

Imagine if the first party game has a creation kit that doesn't work with the first party launcher. That'd be something.

But hell, I'm mostly looking forward to what kind of support the console versions get.

Give me a FO4 style v-sync unlock mod so we can see just how far the FPS can be pushed on SX.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Right click on the game in the Gamepass UI and do “manage” and you can navigate to the install folder. Some mods are incompatible (I know the improved AI mod has some DLL that doesn’t work with the Gamepass version ).

twilo99

Gold Member
I gotta imagine whatever creation kit suite they put out *has* to be compatible with GP as well.

Imagine if the first party game has a creation kit that doesn't work with the first party launcher. That'd be something.

But hell, I'm mostly looking forward to what kind of support the console versions get.

Give me a FO4 style v-sync unlock mod so we can see just how far the FPS can be pushed on SX.

They said it will be like Fallout 4 if that's any indication for console?

So in New Atlantis, for example, being that you can seamlessly travel between the city sectors (residential, space, mast, whatever) without loading - this begs the question as to why it is segregated like it is? I assume you can do the same on XSX.

Wha wha whaaaa? Those notebooks and shit lying around have value? How easy is it to distinguish between them or do you have to read everything? Maybe I've not found one yet if they glow, have a bright cover, or the HUB highlights them somehow.

Here's what one of those magazines look like in the wild, came across one and thouhht I'd grab a screenshot.

Unfortunately
XJOhoen.jpg

Unfortunately the HUD/Scanner etc doesn't give any special significance to them from afar, just gotta keep an eagle eye out.

pk6YP1i.jpg

Connxtion

So in New Atlantis, for example, being that you can seamlessly travel between the city sectors (residential, space, mast, whatever) without loading - this begs the question as to why it is segregated like it is? I assume you can do the same on XSX.
Because it’s quicker, even with a small loading screen.

But you have the choice to use them or not.

I normally don’t going down now that I have a boost pack, but going up yeah it’s quicker to just jump in a lift for 2 secs.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
So I finished "breaking the bank" and then I'm just stuck with this... I'm might just be stupid

Screenshot-2023-09-13-180202.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

For those who have gone beyond, just a yes or no answer to this question please.

RE: Petrov

Does killing Petrov have any impact on future quests?

Artistic

Is there anyone to get Vasco back? I don’t know what happened to him for me lol. He was with me on every quest up until some point now I’m solo.

Can a character die off and never return?

adamsapple

Is there anyone to get Vasco back? I don’t know what happened to him for me lol. He was with me on every quest up until some point now I’m solo.

Can a character die off and never return?

No, he should be waiting in the Lodge's main hall near the artifacts, if you don't have him in your active ship crew.

adamsapple

*Guy describes gray area situation, says not to rock the boat*
Andreja: “You should take his words to heart.”
My response to guy: “Okay, I won’t cause trouble”

Andreja Disliked That

:lollipop_neutral:

:goog_neutral:

Earlier:

* doing a mission in Neon *

*NPC: Don't cause shit in Neon*

Andreja: "You should take what he said to heart"

*later in the mission*

*Interrogating someone, offer him 1000 credits to avoid issues and violence*

Andreja disliked that.

what-do-you-want-the-notebook.gif

I Love You Hug GIF by Demic

Roberts

I'm stuck with the crimson fleet... I think its supposed to update to "the best there is" mission but for whatever reason I'm only stuck with search for evidence after I talk to Ikande and Loft
Try going to Cydonia on mars. In one of the restaurants (forgot the name but there shouldn't be many), in the kitchen there is an recording that will count as evidence. Try that, maybe will help.

adamsapple

Main story just picked up in a big way.

RE: Mission "High Price to Pay"
I wasn't expecting them to kill one of your primary companions like that.

For me, it was Sam, I left him at the lodge and wen to The Eye cause maah wiife Andreja was in trouble.

Sam's daughter has gone missing from the lodge now and I feel pretty bad about it, but not rolling back the save.

It is what it is.

I'm gonna miss his Rifle expertise perk.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
Try going to Cydonia on mars. In one of the restaurants (forgot the name but there shouldn't be many), in the kitchen there is an recording that will count as evidence. Try that, maybe will help.

Thank you. I’ll try to collect all the evidence I can and see what happens, I just hope it’s not bugged and I’m just wasting time.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There's options that make it easier with intimidation or bribery in dialogue options (which would, technically yes, add 'new' dialogue options).

The Beowulf line of weaponry has been very good to me, so I'm sticking to it. Great combination of power + fire rate + accuracy and range.

starfield-2023_09_13-rseta.png

---------

Also, I'm gonna put this under a transparent spoiler tag, but holy shit what the fuck is this thing I came across planet surveying !!!!

It's a Starborn ship just chilling on a planet, It has a door but it says inaccessible so I couldn't hijack it. :(

starfield-2023_09_13-g4fe9.png

All I can say is that CSS filter blur should be increased from the 6px that we have now to like 16px or more because you can still clearly see what's in that picture!

Fools idol

Banned
Here I was thinking the crimson fleet quest is the best faction quest. Little did I know how fantastic the vanguard quest unfolds at the end.

I am so fucking in love with this game.

I see posts like this for this game and I am just sat here like

Benny Hill What GIF

I think some of you didn't play any games since 2012 or something. Surely. 🤣

Top Bottom