• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Topher

Gold Member
Regarding ship building. I wish there would be a place where you can find all parts. And I mean all of them, no exceptions. Running from shipyard to shipyard is not exactly my definition of fun.

Yeah, that kind of sucks. You get the best selection overall at your own landing pad at an outpost, but still have to travel to get some other things. Wouldn't be as bad if you could save progress on an incomplete build.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah, that kind of sucks. You get the best selection overall at your own landing pad at an outpost, but still have to travel to get some other things. Wouldn't be as bad if you could save progress on an incomplete build.

There are so many idiotic design decisions in this game, I swear. Example. Why Vlad has only 200k in his inventory if all he buys is survey data? I surveyed a lot of planets and seriously, I shouldn't be punished and had to wait 48 hours for his creds to re-stock. So STUPID!!!

CSJ

Wha wha whaaaa? Those notebooks and shit lying around have value? How easy is it to distinguish between them or do you have to read everything? Maybe I've not found one yet if they glow, have a bright cover, or the HUB highlights them somehow.

Here's what one of those magazines look like in the wild, came across one and thouhht I'd grab a screenshot.
Unfortunately

If you're on PC I'd get this - https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1054
So stupid how easily passable they are.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So I'm think I'm going to have a ship build for specific purposes. One that is a light but full weapons/shields designed for combat. One that has high powered EMP weapons that is specifically for border and capturing ships. One that is for transferring cargo that just has a ton of cargo space and a contraband scan jammer for smuggling, etc.
I was pretty much considering that as well, at least a fighter and a cargo haul ship.

acidagfc

It’s so bland, and also this weirdly catty matriarchal galaxy; one-dimensional unlikeable Powerful Women are in charge of literally everything.

I’ll keep going so as to try Ryujin and Crimson Fleet. Hopefully those are a bit more interesting. I have 300,000 credits with nothing to spend it on already.
Uhh, you might want to stay away from Ryujin quests then. There is nothing there but running back and forth, while constantly being nagged by women in charge of the corporation.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So I'm think I'm going to have a ship build for specific purposes. One that is a light but full weapons/shields designed for combat. One that has high powered EMP weapons that is specifically for boarding and capturing ships. One that is for transferring cargo that just has a ton of cargo space and a contraband scan jammer for smuggling, etc.

I’ve tried it but it’s too easy to build a jack of all trades ship plus you always want your cargo with you… but it was a cool exercise regardless.

That's an agile ship you got there..
it oddly is, even with it being gigantic, I guess it's tied to the thrusters stat on the engines; though I've also added a couple of those structural thruster nozzles, and while they do activate when activating thruster, I'm not sure if it's purely cosmetic.
Every time I try to use thrusters they start and don't stop until it uses up all the energy and has to rebuild. It's weird. Most games you can thrust a little bit at a time.

Also, do you have auto turrets on that ship?
That's odd, and no the damage trade off isn't worth it to me.

Punished Miku

I’ve tried it but it’s too easy to build a jack of all trades ship plus you always want your cargo with you… but it was a cool exercise regardless.
Once I realized I have all crafting at The Lodge right next to infinite chests, it's kind of pointless to keep anything in the ship. Mine only need to even hold stuff from several runs. Then I just head to the Lodge and keep literally everything there. My ship is mostly empty now. I keep all the status ailment meds in the Captain's Locker and that's about it.

Only time I take any resources with me is if I want to start an Outpost. I just pick up everything and go build while encumbered.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Once I realized I have all crafting at The Lodge right next to infinite chests, it's kind of pointless to keep anything in the ship. Mine only need to even hold stuff from several runs. Then I just head to the Lodge and keep literally everything there. My ship is mostly empty now. I keep all the status ailment meds in the Captain's Locker and that's about it.

Only time I take any resources with me is if I want to start an Outpost. I just pick up everything and go build while encumbered.

Yeah, I can't stand traveling to lodge, going downstairs, getting my shit from the chest, crafting, then reverse the process... there's enough busy work in this game.

Plus, you can's access these resources when you building / decorating outposts and that's also a big problem, at least for me.

I need all my shit with me/on my ship at all times, no exceptions.

Punished Miku

Yeah, I can't stand traveling to lodge, going downstairs, getting my shit from the chest, crafting, then reverse the process... there's enough busy work in this game.

Plus, you can's access these resources when you building / decorating outposts and that's also a big problem, at least for me.

I need all my shit with me/on my ship at all times, no exceptions.
I didn't really have a choice. I already far exceeded my ship's cargo capacity. And it was inhibiting me freely changing ships when I wanted. Oh well, whatever works for you.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
unsure if i should keep checking it out - im about 5 hours in...

on one hand i feel like i havent even gotten to the game yet, just random side quests....

but on the other hand... i feel like its wasting my time already.

maybe I should exclusively focus on The Artifact main quest?

Last edited:
Finally, my ship is complete. No unecessary ladders. All important habs installed. Time for adventure!
53ubXxF.png
lJzaFH9.png
fJNg0RN.png

unsure if i should keep checking it out - im about 5 hours in...

on one hand i feel like i havent even gotten to the game yet, just random side quests....

but on the other hand... i feel like its wasting my time already.

I would do the main quest stuff until you get distracted to do other stuff. I enjoyed my first 20 hrs but the game clicked at that point for me.

FunkMiller

That's the worst thing to do. It's a bit of a shit central quest. The faction quests are much better. The Crimson Fleet and UC ones are the things keeping me in the game.

Last edited:
The game can turn up some glitches if you quickly reload a save after something technical happens, like a space battle; as mentioned in the advanced access thread, it looks like even if you reload the engine just uses stuff that's already in memory and just messes up sometimes somehow.
This time I went into a battle but picked a wrong option accidentally so I just reloaded; now the planet and the debris field were missing, fine whatever I can still land on it.
After clearing the planet I take off and it looks like the engine suddenly realised there was supposed to be a debris field, so it spawns everything on top of each other, causing a massive physics slowdown, even worse it spawned me inside of one of the asteroids lol; luckily they can be destroyed so it was fine.

Found this pistol somewhere and it's just absolutely ridiculous:
J4xXmST.jpg

it just melts any enemies I've come across so far, its 'value' is also at least double of any other weapon I have.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
That's the worst thing to do. It's a bit of a shit central quest. The faction quests are much better. The Crimson Fleet and UC ones are the things keeping in the game.
okay I signed up for the vanguard and am just starting the first mission for them, as well as being coerced into infiltrating the Crimson Fleet....

so I guess i keep the course rather than do activities/artifact/side quests for now

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
any advice on how to know what to spend my skill points on? right now i do what i normally do in games and just horde skill points until I run into a reason to need them

any advice on how to know what to spend my skill points on? right now i do what i normally do in games and just horde skill points until I run into a reason to need them
Whatever you want, but remember you can't upgrade anything in one go, you actually have to use the skill to access higher levels of it; so you don't really want to be hoarding, at most keep 1 or 2 points docked.

bbeach123

If you play hard to very hard then focus early point to ship combat first , the ground combat was piss easy , or atleast playable .

Without any point into ships combat you just get destroyed in space . 1v3 was night unplayable .

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
If you play hard to very hard then focus early point to ship combat first , the ground combat was piss easy , or atleast playable .

Without any point into ships combat you just get destroyed in space . 1v3 was night unplayable .
I'm hating the space battles so far....so hoping i can just bypass them as much as possible

Jetpacks are cool. That's the first thing I upgraded.

Am Trying to make a stealth build. Still haven't figured it all out.

See if there is a specific build you wanna make and start working on that. Since all your skills are upgraded the more you use them, it's best to decide what you wanna make early on in this game.

Orbital2060

Anyone else on PC noticing an increase in performance since yesterday's update? I'm not getting drops in New Atlantis like I was before.
Definately felt and looked smoother on console, when I played after the patch. Couldnt tell if its better framepacing or something else going on. Image quality looks better when turning around, on a controller.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Did the Mantis quest last night, very cool, got my first ship after the Frontier- the Razorleaf. Saved around 300k so far, it seems less viable spending credits on space suits/weapons from vendors as loot and quests rewards are better so far, my question is what to spend it on... i see there's an apartment you can buy in The Well but i don't want to live there lol, so i think my priority is to buy one of the best ships.. just going to the plant where the Mantis quest was caused me to die couple of time as there were 3 ships blasting me, so after dying couple of times i just landed quickly on the planet..
What are your recommendations for a ship? preferably one that will last most of the game.. also i will be able to sell old ships i thinks.. so should i or can i take some parts to upgrade the new ship before selling? (i have no skills on ship building) Thanks space mates. :)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I was really hoping there were religious factions, because they have some cool ones in this. But maybe there's some interesting stuff later. I don't want to know I guess.
Gonna be taking my time now to see if any of the Sidequests/Missions have anything to offer on a storytelling front. I spent 2 hours yesterday following a guide recreating the Ebon Hawk and I am pleased with the stats and the aesthetic.

I have a lot of Star Systems to sift through.

I'm curious how much content Shattered Space will have next year.

Antwix

To be honest, I don't think a single skill is actually mandatory. It all just depends what you want to focus on and what you like.

For example, if you're not interested in outposts. Those are useless. Not interested in crafting? Those are useless. Not interested in shipbuilding? Those are useless. You can get ships, weapons, and items that'll carry you through the game without needing those. Some say the skills like botany or zoology are useless. But if you enjoy going around to all the planets and surveying them, those are great. Just depends what you decide you like with the game.

Not sure how far along you are but for an early basic, all-around character, I think these are my top ones that make things more enjoyable early on :

1) Boost pack - Just one point is fine unless you really enjoy using it in combat or are traversing a lot. Just 1 point has been fine for me. I don't really use it much during combat though.
2) Piloting - I would suggest 2 points into here since the ships feel real sluggish without it
3) Security - Lots of stuff to hack/lockpick in the game and you can get some decent stuff/credits to help you along
4) Persuasion - I don't believe you need this to actually get the dialogue option offered to you, but it increases success rate and opens options with success
5) Weight lifting - I have this maxed out since I was really getting bogged down in the early game
6) Stealth - A bit inconsistent, but 1 point in this gives you a stealth meter that's pretty useful

Last edited:
What are your recommendations for a ship? preferably one that will last most of the game.. also i will be able to sell old ships i thinks.. so should i or can i take some parts to upgrade the new ship before selling? (i have no skills on ship building) Thanks space mates. :)
It's hard to make recommendations because stronger parts are tied to your level, they won't show up unless are high enough level; the overall option would be to upgrade the piloting skill to level 2 so you can fly B cert ships, then upgrade the reactor to B cert, so you can equip it with a much stronger shield and some beefier guns.
The razorleaf actually has some very strong A cert parts (like the engines), that even if you get high enough level for them to show up, you'd also still need the level 4 spaceship design skill for, so don't change those if you don't have to.

oji-san

Banned
To be honest, I don't think a single skill is actually mandatory. It all just depends what you want to focus on and what you like.

For example, if you're not interested in outposts. Those are useless. Not interested in crafting? Those are useless. Not interested in shipbuilding? Those are useless. You can get ships, weapons, and items that'll carry you through the game without needing those. Some say the skills like botany or zoology are useless. But if you enjoy going around to all the planets and surveying them, those are great. Just depends what you decide you like with the game.

Not sure how far along you are but for an early basic, all-around character, I think these are my top ones that make things more enjoyable early on :

1) Boost pack - Just one point is fine unless you really enjoy using it in combat or are traversing a lot. Just 1 point has been fine for me. I don't really use it much during combat though.
2) Piloting - I would suggest 2 points into here since the ships feel real sluggish without it
3) Security - Lots of stuff to hack/lockpick in the game and you can get some decent stuff/credits to help you along
4) Persuasion - I don't believe you need this to actually get the dialogue option offered to you, but it increases success rate and opens options with success
5) Weight lifting - I have this maxed out since I was really getting bogged down in the early game
6) Stealth - A bit inconsistent, but 1 point in this gives you a stealth meter that's pretty useful
May i ask what piloting does? kinda have hard time combating 3 ships at once..

oji-san

Banned
It's hard to make recommendations because stronger parts are tied to your level, they won't show up unless are high enough level; the overall option would be to upgrade the piloting skill to level 2 so you can fly B cert ships, then upgrade the reactor to B cert, so you can equip it with a much stronger shield and some beefier guns.
The razorleaf actually has some very strong A cert parts (like the engines), that even if you get high enough level for them to show up, you'd also still need the level 4 spaceship design skill for, so don't change those if you don't have to.
Wow a lot of words i understood nothing lol, thank you, i guess i haven't even begun seeing what ships has to offer.. perhaps i will stick with my new Razorleaf for now..
thanks again :)

Antwix

May i ask what piloting does? kinda have hard time combating 3 ships at once..
This is off the top of my head but I think it's correct.

Rank 1 gives you the ability to use a forward boost, which definitely helps in combat with multiple ships. Once you're getting hit, you can activate boosts and kinda veer off in a diagonal to help avoid getting ripped apart.
Rank 2 gives you overall more maneuverability I believe.
Then rank 3 and 4 gives you the ability to pilot the higher class ships.

Last edited:
Wow a lot of words i understood nothing lol, thank you, i guess i haven't even begun seeing what ships has to offer.. perhaps i will stick with my new Razorleaf for now..
thanks again :)
There's 3 ranks of ship parts, A, B and C.
There's no requirement for A cert, you can always fly those ships, however some parts are more powerful to buy and those can also require a rank in the space ship design skill; the most powerful parts always require space ship design level 4 (max level)
The requirement for B cert is level 2 in the piloting skill, this will allow you to use ships that have a B cert reactor (the thing that powers everything on the ship) and also modify your own ships with a B cert reactor, so you can equip it with guns and shields and engines etc. that require a B cert reactor.

So the easy upgrade path is to put points in piloting and just upgrade to B cert, however the early B cert parts are actually weaker than the space ship design level 4 A cert parts, same with early C cert parts vs B cert space ship design level 4 etc.

The space ship design part isn't very important if you just want to do fast and easy upgrades, or just buy a ready to go strong ship, but if you for instance want to keep a small ship like the razorleaf, space ship design level 4 allows you to make it super strong, without making it bigger.

Sgt.Asher

I find myself vibing and enjoying this then something stupid takes me out of it. Recently it was finding carbon copies of locations, exactly the same down to trash placement.

oji-san

Banned
There's 3 ranks of ship parts, A, B and C.
There's no requirement for A cert, you can always fly those ships, however some parts are more powerful to buy and those can also require a rank in the space ship design skill; the most powerful parts always require space ship design level 4 (max level)
The requirement for B cert is level 2 in the piloting skill, this will allow you to use ships that have a B cert reactor (the thing that powers everything on the ship) and also modify your own ships with a B cert reactor, so you can equip it with guns and shields and engines etc. that require a B cert reactor.

So the easy upgrade path is to put points in piloting and just upgrade to B cert, however the early B cert parts are actually weaker than the space ship design level 4 A cert parts, same with early C cert parts vs B cert space ship design level 4 etc.

The space ship design part isn't very important if you just want to do fast and easy upgrades, or just buy a ready to go strong ship, but if you for instance want to keep a small ship like the razorleaf, space ship design level 4 allows you to make it super strong, without making it bigger.
Wow mate thats a well explained post, made me understand some stuff... didn't even know there's ranks to ships.. i can't even figure out what level are my ships.. i mean i fought against level 30 iirc ships around the Mantis planet... but what is even my level?
Anyhow thank you very much and will keep looking for more info untill i will understand it better. :)

Wow mate thats a well explained post, made me understand some stuff... didn't even know there's ranks to ships.. i can't even figure out what level are my ships.. i mean i fought against level 30 iirc ships around the Mantis planet... but what is even my level?
Anyhow thank you very much and will keep looking for more info untill i will understand it better. :)
Your level is just your level, as you gain XP it goes, it always says what your level is right in the pause menu next to your character; ships only come in A B or C ranks, not levels, the Razorleaf and the ship you start out with are A, you can see it if you go in the ship menu.
So even though you saw a level 30 enemy, they could be flying any rank of ship, it's not really an indication of the ship's rank.

twilo99

Gold Member
it oddly is, even with it being gigantic, I guess it's tied to the thrusters stat on the engines; though I've also added a couple of those structural thruster nozzles, and while they do activate when activating thruster, I'm not sure if it's purely cosmetic.

That's odd, and no the damage trade off isn't worth it to me.

Yeah I think you might be onto something with the thrusters..

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anyone know any hints of how to design your starship so the inside isnt a mess?

My ladder placement is all fucked and it doesn't "flow1 correctly. the feng shui just isn't there.

Top Bottom