• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Wow, that Freestar abandoned mine mission caught me off guard. Too many machines, not enough people. Finished with 6 shots left in the shotgun and everything else cleaned out. Was entertaining though.

I guess I'll actually have to buy/craft ammo for the first time now.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Speaking of Neon, I didn't realise that there was a lower third level until I started Ryujin like, 50+ hours into the game :messenger_hushed:
although the cities look small, they have insane verticality. especially buildings and subtowns the cities have

being able to vertically explore most of the tall buildings in new atlantis and then discovering another vertical underground city in Well and tons of quests in it is amazing

this game has everything I wanted from Cyberpunk actually. it feels like more Cyberpunk at times than Cyberpunk itself for that matter

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
About 12 hours in - I am noticing the repetitive nature of exploring a planet. Itd be nice if they could patch in new events etc to vary things up a bit.

Wondering if i should play on hard, battles in normal are pretty cake.

Is there any reason to swap partners? Or get new partners? I automatically got sarah in mine…i just see no reason to get rid of her, even though she complained that she didnt love some stuff i was doing.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
this game has everything I wanted from Cyberpunk actually. it feels like more Cyberpunk at times than Cyberpunk itself for that matter

Hm, interesting.. I haven’t played it yet but I assume the whole game is mainly built around the city so it should have some verticality and underground areas for sure?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just experienced my first glitch, and it’s a very bad one. I hijacked an enemy ship and it fucked up New Atlantis’s Spaceport. Like parts of the ground are missing. I can walk under the map and steal from vendors chests.

Luckily I had saved maybe 10 minutes earlier.

I looked into it, and it’s definitely an issue that can happen after claiming a new ship.

So save before you decide to get a new ship.

Did you make a save and then quit to the main menu before reloading?
Most of these glitches disappear for me after quitting to the menu, so you don't have to lose progress, because it seems the game keeps the engine logic stored even if you reload without quitting to the menu first.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Did you make a save and then quit to the main menu before reloading?
Most of these glitches disappear for me after quitting to the menu, so you don't have to lose progress, because it seems the game keeps the engine logic stored even if you reload without quitting to the menu first.
It had like fucked up the new saves. I tried loading the auto saves, quick save and the new hard save. I even tried restarting my system, and that didn’t work. Only thing that worked was loading a save before I hijacked an enemy ship. But it ended up do more, like making my ship see through, making my weapons and stuff not work.

Then I researched it, and it’s a more common bug than I thought.

Last edited:

dem

I put 2 hours into it last night...

Oof. Not sure about this one.

The intro/setup to the story is just... bad. Clumsy. Not exciting, or even interesting.

The 30fps shit is hard to deal with. The animation looks real bad. The way your character interacts with the environment... bad. Combat feels janky as fuck. I see all these pictures people are posting, but it just looks like Bethesda junk in motion. Its funny.. you look at individual items and things in a scene and they look amazing... but on the whole it very rarely looks good.

I'll put a few more hours in tonight. I can deal with the Bethesda jank-engine if it gets interesting. Hopefully it gets more interesting.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just experienced my first glitch, and it’s a very bad one. I hijacked an enemy ship and it fucked up New Atlantis’s Spaceport. Like parts of the ground are missing. I can walk under the map and steal from vendors chests.

I looked into it, and it’s definitely an issue that can happen after claiming a new ship.

So save before you decide to get a new ship.

Super pro tip: you can register stolen ship from the main menu / ship section, you don’t have to visit a space port.

And for some odd reason, that’s also cheaper…

twilo99

Gold Member
I put 2 hours into it last night...

Oof. Not sure about this one.

The intro/setup to the story is just... bad. Clumsy. Not exciting, or even interesting.

The 30fps shit is hard to deal with. The animation looks real bad. The way your character interacts with the environment... bad. Combat feels janky as fuck. I see all these pictures people are posting, but it just looks like Bethesda junk in motion. Its funny.. you look at individual items and things in a scene and they look amazing... but on the whole it very rarely looks good.

I'll put a few more hours in tonight. I can deal with the Bethesda jank-engine if it gets interesting. Hopefully it gets more interesting.

If it doesn’t grab you by hour 10 I’d abandon ship

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Question: Are the Artifact powers you find randomized throughout playthroughs?

Also, are you able to get all of them in one run or do you unlock the rest through NG+'s?

by "make your own fun" do you mean like gta? like making your own activities outside of what is provided?

Do you have suggestions?

Not like GTA.

You can do outpost building on a planet you like.

Or scan any planet you like the look of, taking in vistas and music.

Or if you are in mood for character development, you can go inside one of facilities/ buildings.

It all seems inspired from Survival games like Grounded or Minecraft.

Sgt.Asher

I'm running out of steam on this. The story is pretty bland, enemy variety is pretty much people/dog robots, and exploring isn't exciting when points of interest are literally copy/pasted.
I think I like fallout 4 more at this point.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Kore Kinetics in Neon... go find it.

There's a sniper rifle for sale there that I haven't seen in my 170 hours with the game.

It's a monster.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm running out of steam on this. The story is pretty bland, enemy variety is pretty much people/dog robots, and exploring isn't exciting when points of interest are literally copy/pasted.
I think I like fallout 4 more at this point.

Man, that's shit. I can understand that the game is not for everyone. I hope you'll find something addictive to play soon. All the best, seriously.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This is why you don’t just whip it out on a planet with extreme conditions……

F6ffjuTaQAALNFc

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Kore Kinetics in Neon... go find it.

There's a sniper rifle for sale there that I haven't seen in my 170 hours with the game.

It's a monster.
Is the shop content all randomly generated? Or is this always there? I thought the stuff for sale gets refreshed every 24 hours.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
OK, rant time.

You know that I love this game, right?

But seriously. We're living in 2023 and we can do everything online. You can order stuff, sell stuff, apply for job, whatever it might be... you can do it online.

Starfield. 2300 whatever the year it is. Why I can't sell my loot from a menu and I why do I need to run to a store? Why I can't accept a job from online mission board? This isn't a fucking medieval fantasy setting type of situation...

Bethesda, you're so DUMB!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
OK, rant time.

You know that I love this game, right?

But seriously. We're living in 2023 and we can do everything online. You can order stuff, sell stuff, apply for job, whatever it might be... you can do it online.

Starfield. 2300 whatever the year it is. Why I can't sell my loot from a menu and I why do I need to run to a store? Why I can't accept a job from online mission board? This isn't a fucking medieval fantasy setting type of situation...

Bethesda, you're so DUMB!
I get what you’re saying, but then we wouldn’t have reasons to visit these settlements to get more missions/activities from random encounters.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I get what you’re saying, but then we wouldn’t have reasons to visit these settlements to get more missions/activities from random encounters.

Nope. There could be a lore reason to visit these for the first time to 'ESTABLISH CONNECTION' or whatever. But seriously I just want to do another Ranger 'free hostages' mission or some Ryujin sneaky mission. Why in the fuck do I need to go thought all that unnecessary fast travel just to get to fun part?

Bethesda's designers have no fucking clue. 100%.

Sorry, not sorry.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nope. There could be a lore reason to visit these for the first time to 'ESTABLISH CONNECTION' or whatever. But seriously I just want to do another Ranger 'free hostages' mission or some Ryujin sneaky mission. Why in the fuck do I need to go thought all that unnecessary fast travel just to get to fun part?

Bethesda's designers have no fucking clue. 100%.

Sorry, not sorry.
I get it. But again, they want to keep you coming back to the towns because not all activities are made available at once. I mean, the idea that there are no phones is crazy.

It’s a Bethesda game in space. Not a great answer/excuse, but it is what it is. Meanwhile in Elder Scrolls 6, Bethesda might be praised for having their tried/true systems in place.

I’m along for the ride with Starfield. Quirks and all.

I get it. But again, they want to keep you coming back to the towns because not all activities are made available at once. I mean, the idea that there are no phones is crazy.

It’s a Bethesda game in space. Not a great answer/excuse, but it is what it is. Meanwhile in Elder Scrolls 6, Bethesda might be praised for having their tried/true systems in place.

No phones, I think it's great. It's like being in the 90s again, but in space. Take me back!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Sorry man, but this is just lazy and stupid.

There's no reason for me to go to The Rock for the nth time just so I can get more procedurally generated fetch quests.

There's no reason for me to find a random Trade Authority vendor just so I can sell my shit.

It's just a waste of time. Bethesda is wasting mine and your time.

I still love the game but 95% of design decisions in place are just so backwards. I seriously believe it's time for Todd to make room for next generation....

twilo99

Gold Member
I think there were a lot of "interesting" decisions they had to make because of what they set out to achieve in terms of scope... I bet if they had another 3-4 years there won't be as many obvious things missing from it

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sorry man, but this is just lazy and stupid.

There's no reason for me to go to The Rock for the nth time just so I can get more procedurally generated fetch quests.

There's no reason for me to find a random Trade Authority vendor just so I can sell my shit.

It's just a waste of time. Bethesda is wasting mine and your time.

I still love the game but 95% of design decisions in place are just so backwards. I seriously believe it's time for Todd to make room for next generation....
Ehh. I don’t see it as a waste of time. I might if there wasn’t any fast travel at all though.

I’m 161 hours in , lol. Still haven’t done a single quest line yet. I’ve done a ton of mission boards quests though.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So let's say you want to settle on this stupid backwards thinking way of selling your loot which relays on you to go to a specific place and sell it there, Bethesda.

Genius idea for a game set in 24th century, genius... (you absolute imbeciles)

So if that's how you want to deal with it, why don't you put a digital KIOSK in front of every business that can't be loaded in your amazing engine so I don't have deal with another loading screen just to sell MY SHIT?

You absolute fucking morons!!!

Topher

Gold Member
So let's say you want to settle on this stupid backwards thinking way of selling your loot which relays on you to go to a specific place and sell it there, Bethesda.

So if that's how you want to deal with it, why don't you put a digital KIOSK in front of every business that can't be loaded in your amazing engine so I don't have deal with another loading screen just to sell MY SHIT?

Chill Leopard GIF

:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

I think, if anything, the kiosk doesn't make sense.. Where are you loading all of these weapons and armor? Surely not into that little thing..

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I think, if anything, the kiosk doesn't make sense.. Where are you loading all of these weapons and armor? Surely not into that little thing..

Jokes on you because every little fucking space port already has Trade Authority kiosk there. So it's not like we're concerned about logic. Surely Bethesda is not...

These could have an operative standing next to it if you care about that sort of stuff. Simple solution. Less fuckery and less loading screens. Win. Win. Win,

Wow, after all these hours it finally dawned on me how to get the interior lights powered in Starfield.. lol :messenger_grinning_smiling: , it's definitely needed the interior of some of those outposts can be very dark!

Top Bottom