• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

I think, if anything, the kiosk doesn't make sense.. Where are you loading all of these weapons and armor? Surely not into that little thing..

It magically stores everything inside, it's just like the magic pocket almost all video game characters have to store all those weapons. The amount of stuff my poor guy caries around in Starfield is nothing short of miraculous. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think, if anything, the kiosk doesn't make sense.. Where are you loading all of these weapons and armor? Surely not into that little thing..

anna-nguyenova-mimic-post-hex.jpg

like this, but for the kiosk.

Last edited:
Thoughts?

And herein lies Starfield's allure. By splitting the "main map" into thousands of small sections (planets), it guarantees you'll play through a huge variety of terrains and views. More so than any Bethesda game released before. In the space of minutes you could be jumping through craters of a low G moon and straddling through the lushy savannah of a temperate planet or scanning trilobites in a frozen wasteland...

thing is, this has both an upside & a downside. something i'm missing, after most of 40hrs, is a distinct sense of place, something i enjoyed in elder scrolls & fallout, where everything connected & interrelated in a localized, physical way. i feel that by 'splitting the main map into thousands of small sections', mass effect style, you've lost a fundamental aspect of the previous bethesda rpgs, which is that distinct sense of place...

understand, this's quite subjective, i continue to enjoy the game to an extent (tho not nearly as much as fallout), & hell if i can think of any way to do a space-based rpg other than this. but i do find it something that i really miss, & that makes me sorta wish that bethesda had done anything other than a space-based rpg...

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Thoughts?

Personally I thought that was really obvious. They literally have hundreds of planets that you never truly have to land on that are only there as set dressing to make it feel like a galaxy, similar to a building in a previous game with no real purpose. You can scour it if you want and enjoy the scanning but its not at all required. You can absolutely play this game "wrong" but thats too much for people to hear.

IaNn3rl.jpg

wbjvyjs.jpg

Sunglasses Reaction GIF

It magically stores everything inside, it's just like the magic pocket almost all video game characters have to store all those weapons. The amount of stuff my poor guy caries around in Starfield is nothing short of miraculous. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

If you look at Vasco when trading with him, he actually opens a little flap and closes it when you're done trading, he literally stores everything inside himself lol.

Those articles that said the trait where you have parents being nothing but a simple novelty/for role playing, lied. Here are the gifts they’ve given me so far:

• Gran Gran’s suit and helmet(increased carrying capacity)
  • A rare unique pistol from one of the founding members of constellation
  • A free A class starship with good engines and storage capacity
  • Free apt storage(thanks to them owning an apartment in New Atlantis before you’re even able to do the quest line to get your own house)

Your parents will also sometimes move around and be at the Constellation HQ with added lore moments between them and the other characters there. Lastly you will also have added lore moments about your family and what your grandparents did. I made this last part a non-spoiler because these last two details are fluff for people who skip through the story. Be sure to stop by the constellation or apt complex every now and then for more stuff from them.

Also for first timers, they live at pioneer apartments. You take the train to the residential district and make a right. I’m saying this because the game will not hold your hand and guide you after your first time visiting. After the first time, you will simply be given a note that your dad or mom wants to see you to give you a gift, and that’s it. No blue dot. So it helps to learn the area and remember where they live.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Your parents will also sometimes move around and be at the Constellation HQ with added lore moments between them and the other characters there. Lastly you will also have added lore moments about your family and what your grandparents did. I made this last part a non-spoiler because these last two details are fluff for people who skip through the story. Be sure to stop by the constellation or apt complex every now and then for more stuff from them.

Also for first timers, they live at pioneer apartments. You take the train to the residential district and make a right. I’m saying this because the game will not hold your hand and guide you after your first time visiting. After the first time, you will simply be given a note that your dad or mom wants to see you to give you a gift, and that’s it. No blue dot. So it helps to learn the area and remember where they live.

This type of role playing is one of my favorite features of the game.

I hope the DLC branches out more into the family stuff, like having kids that you can set traits to.

Nevermind new game plus, imagine keeping your character, making them older and you merely just play the kids for a different playthrough lol

Maddux4164

Banned
37 hours in

Level 25

3 skill points to spend (can’t decide yet what to do on them)

I still feel so brand new to it all. I’ve yet to even acquired the skill to fly a new ship that I’ve already earned from missions

This game is absolutely packed with unique stories and interesting decisions to make

It’s beyond insane

Roberts

So, I made a save game just before the end and decided to finish the campaign. Phew, that was one hell of an adventure. I probably sound like a broken record now, but this absolutely one of the very best experiences playing a game ever. It obviously helps that I'm 80's kid who dreamed about this shit in the 7th grade after reading way too many sci-fi novels and watched every sci-fi movie available to man.

Speaking of faction quests, Vanguard was probably my favourite. Mixing Starship Troopers, Alien and Silence of the Lambs was kind genius. But I really like the other ones too and Freestar one, while almost ridiculously predictable, was actually way more fun than I expected from most of the opinions there. I don't know if it is Todd or Emil, but Bethesda sure has a fascination about American Civil War and I can totally see this one as a post-Civil War western made in the 50's of 70's.

I think I will put the game aside for a moment, because it has completely taken over my life for these three weeks and I need to focus on work again after having a brief downtime. But I will definitely come back some day and dig deep into stuff that I barely ever touched, like outposts.

Anyway, keep posting cool stuff because I will definitely come here to lurk. It has been my favourite place to visit on Neogaf these few weeks and I'm amazed at the civility here. I don't think I have a seen a single personal insult despite opinion differences.

P.S. I remember the recent conversation about Titan here and here are my two cents. I think the game and the characters totally understand that it is absurd to live there (I have overheard tons of conversations and even Andreja joked about it) when there are tons of planets more suitable for human life. But it's more or less the only emotional connection people have of Earth and I totally understand tourists coming to visit. There are tons of similar parallels you could find of tourism here on Earth today.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
So... i reached that part of the story with a big reveal

Fuck this multiverse bullshit. Its like everyone is running out of ideas and thats when they start introducing this shit. Movies, shows now games...sigh

Yeah, hard for me to take it seriously, story has been awful so far

Level 14 currently with around 20 hours clocked.

Game's been a bit of an up and down so far for me. Every now and then I get myself intruiged by a good quest and then disinterested again by a flood of fetch quests. Kinda wish Bethesda would just focus on the meaty stuff and ditch all the fillter trash. Say what you will about Oblivion but it was clearly better off because it didn't have this.

Maddux4164

Banned
Who else hates Sarah?

Married the whore just because of XP and maybe achievement

But before and after she’s always

Giving input when not asked
In my way when scavenging places
Doubting my decisions
Offering a STUPID PLANT 🌱 every so often
She’s such an annoyance
Interrupting my conversations on important missions

She’s such a freaking bore

Ok 😎

Maddux4164

Banned
Level 14 currently with around 20 hours clocked.

Game's been a bit of an up and down so far for me. Every now and then I get myself intruiged by a good quest and then disinterested again by a flood of fetch quests. Kinda wish Bethesda would just focus on the meaty stuff and ditch all the fillter trash. Say what you will about Oblivion but it was clearly better off because it didn't have this.
Oblivion is a classic

But it’s 0% close to the diversity in this game

It’s large world was copy and pasted and the caves are all identical

Oblivion is a classic

But it’s 0% close to the diversity in this game

It’s large world was copy and pasted and the caves are all identical
Won’t disagree here but it was much more interesting when it comes to quests. You can’t tell me with a straight face that it is not tiresome for you so sift through dozends of quests before you fine and meaningful one? For me, so far, it has been at least 5:1 in that regards. Meaning, for each good quest I’ve had 5 fetch quests.

Was so much filler really needed?

Who else hates Sarah?

Doubting my decisions
She’s such an annoyance

Ok 😎
What I’ve noticed on social media is that way too many people decided to be with the very first woman who gave them attention(and the flirt option), rather than weighing their options and finding out more first.

…And now they’re annoyed that she turned out to be annoying, opinionated, and repetitive lol.

I knew I didn’t quite like Sarah from the beginning, so I waited 🤷‍♂️

Shubh_C63

Finally upgraded to SSD on my laptop.
Game runs surprisingly good on my weak ass CPU now. Not as bad unoptimised I had believed.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Won’t disagree here but it was much more interesting when it comes to quests. You can’t tell me with a straight face that it is not tiresome for you so sift through dozends of quests before you fine and meaningful one? For me, so far, it has been at least 5:1 in that regards. Meaning, for each good quest I’ve had 5 fetch quests.

Was so much filler really needed?
Maybe I’m having better luck? No clue.

I’ve had a fantastic time thus far

Almost 40 hours in
Level 25

I’ve had missions as tiny as…. Sabotage a competitor beer companies brew

All the way to saving a city

For me I’m enjoying this game so much. Oblivion will ALWAYS remain a classic in my heart. I’ll buy the remaster.

Morrowind is still the most nostalgic to me

But regardless… I’m having an absolute blast here

Now I’m working for a greedy Neon company and making BANK by sabotaging their competitors in non violent ways

So much VARIETY for me

Maddux4164

Banned
What I’ve noticed on social media is that way too many people decided to be with the very first woman who gave them attention(and the flirt option), rather than weighing their options and finding out more first.

…And now they’re annoyed that she turned out to be annoying, opinionated, and repetitive lol.

I knew I didn’t quite like Sarah from the beginning, so I waited 🤷‍♂️
If you read my prior posts… was never a fan. However… again… did it fot thr XP/possible achievement/other related side quests

But she sucks. She’s awful. She is in my way. Yeah… I can Apparently divorce her and dismiss her and all. But… feels wrong 😂

If you read my prior posts… was never a fan. However… again… did it fot thr XP/possible achievement/other related side quests

But she sucks. She’s awful. She is in my way. Yeah… I can Apparently divorce her and dismiss her and all. But… feels wrong 😂
I think Bethesda did a decent job with their personalities. The outspoken one who has a leadership position is also the most opinionated and will reprimand you for little things.

On the other hand, the one who’s trying to simply fit in with the group and belong, but has some edge to her(thanks to her past) and takes a while to open up to you, is more receptive and more open to your decisions.

I didn’t care to romance the third option, but I can only assume the guy is as cool and as laid back as he is presenting himself, being a single dad.

Maddux4164

Banned
I think Bethesda did a decent job with their personalities. The outspoken one who has a leadership position is also the most opinionated and will reprimand you for little things.

On the other hand, the one who’s trying to simply fit in with the group and belong, but has some edge to her(thanks to her past) and takes a while to open up to you, is more receptive and more open to your decisions.

I didn’t care to romance the third option, but I can only assume the guy is as cool and as laid back as he is presenting himself, being a single dad.
She’s all “I have something for you”

And it’s always some dumbass invaluable plant

STFU Sarah and just be my 2nd gun 😂

You’re referring to Sam Coe? Yeah. Shit bout to marry him myself. Sarah made me gay 😂

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Truly wish Bethesda allowed me to slit Sarah’s throat

Watch it bleed in slow motion, use the river of blood as spice for my ramen soup

Then I’d heat my ramen up. Eat it and take pictures of her corpse and send it to the Lodge and Constellation

You’re referring to Sam Coe? Yeah. Shit bout to marry him myself. Sarah made me gay 😂
Yeah Coe. I have no interest in role playing it, but he seems like a cool guy, so I can only assume he is that same way from a relationship standpoint.

The only recent-ish game I can think of that was really tricky with relationships was the Mass Effect Trilogy. Liara started off as an innocent goody two shoes, so I refused and ended up waiting for Tali. Tali ended up becoming what Liara was in part 1, Ashley ended up going from military jarhead space prejudiced to becoming the cool headed one, Miranda ended up going from cool to emotionally unwell, and Liara ended up having an edge to her thanks to the whole Shadow Broker ordeal. Everyone flipped 🤷‍♂️

Maddux4164

Banned
Yeah Coe. I have no interest in role playing it, but he seems like a cool guy, so I can only assume he is that same way from a relationship standpoint.

The only recent-ish game I can think of that was really tricky with relationships was the Mass Effect Trilogy. Liara started off as an innocent goody two shoes, so I refused and ended up waiting for Tali. Tali ended up becoming what Liara was in part 1, Ashley ended up going from military jarhead space prejudiced to becoming the cool headed one, Miranda ended up going from cool to emotionally unwell, and Liara ended up having an edge to her thanks to the whole Shadow Broker ordeal. Everyone flipped 🤷‍♂️
Sarah is insufferable

It’s painful to look at her anymore

Chukhopops

Explored so much of the map that temples are popping left and right on my missions, only three powers missing.

Some of them are cool but most are a bit underwhelming, especially with how broken the push is.

The main quest is so far my least favorite one.

Maddux4164

Banned
Explored so much of the map that temples are popping left and right on my missions, only three powers missing.

Some of them are cool but most are a bit underwhelming, especially with how broken the push is.

The main quest is so far my least favorite one.
I kinda am interested in that story

However, it’s been 20 hours since I’ve messed with it.

I’m rather far ahead in it…. I think

But these side projects are amazing to me

Does this game have a survival mode like Fallout NV and Fallout 4? I did find lot's of food and drinks, but can't see any survival stats affecting my character. I'm already playing on highest difficulty setting. Is there any hidden setting like the "Hardcore mode" in NV?

Punished Miku

Who else hates Sarah?

Doubting my decisions
She’s such an annoyance

Ok 😎
Sounds like Bethesda has created the most realistic representation of marriage to date. Incredible achievement.

Punished Miku

Got concealment level 3 and its been worth all the effort. Much better stealth results now. Level 4 is easily the most demanding challenge yet. 75 unarmed sneak attacks ...

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Welp, finished the mission High Price To Pay...wasn't expecting that..
You need to choose between defending the Lodge and defending the Eye. Decided on The Eye because I wanted to protect Vladimir so he could hook me up with more power locations and I simply dont give a shit about any of the other characters. Turns out Andreaj ended up getting completely merc'd as a consequence. There she was lying in a big puddle of blood when I returned.

YU0gEra.gif

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Got concealment level 3 and its been worth all the effort. Much better stealth results now. Level 4 is easily the most demanding challenge yet. 75 unarmed sneak attacks ...

There are of course ways to cheese this challenge. You can use EMP weapons (or whatever they're called) to stun enemy and then hit them with a knife. Or even better find a planet with loads of small bugs... crouch, strike, repeat.

Punished Miku

There are of course ways to cheese this challenge. You can use EMP weapons (or whatever they're called) to stun enemy and then hit them with a knife. Or even better find a planet with loads of small bugs... crouch, strike, repeat.
I punch animals and bugs but it is still a large undertaking.

FYI, I try not to spoil things but if you guys find an abandoned Cryo Lab it is a lot more in depth than I expected. More in depth than any random dungeon in Elder Scrolls. And its not always super clear how to keep progressing but it keeps going.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
FYI, I try not to spoil things but if you guys find an abandoned Cryo Lab it is a lot more in depth than I expected. More in depth than any random dungeon in Elder Scrolls. And its not always super clear how to keep progressing but it keeps going.

I've found a Cryo Lab. Not one or even two. Like a dozen already. Every single one: exactly the same. Down to loot, notes and dead scientist placement. Oh, and that sweet contraband crate just outside.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I declined to recruit him early on in the game and I have never seen him since? Can you find him somewhere? I thought he was supposed to be hard to get rid of.
Maybe you have too many other people on you ship. Assign him.

I now can have 6 people on my crew, because of one of the sills.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I've found a Cryo Lab. Not one or even two. Like a dozen already. Every single one: exactly the same. Down to loot, notes and dead scientist placement. Oh, and that sweet contraband crate just outside.
I swear I’ve had 2 main story quests that sent me to the same cryo lab, I thought I was going crazy

Top Bottom