• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

It really isnt.

I'm really enjoying Starfield, for all it's faults.

But the points raised in this video from start to end, and i do mean start to end cannot be justified in 2023.

Especially the hype that Bethesda built up around this game.

Having said that, i'm still playing 45+ hours in and will continue to do so, but the faults cannot be dismissed.

All I see is him taking digs and highlighting bugs etc in the footage, which rarely happen. Doesn't seem like an honest discussion of what the game gets right and wrong.

My idea/whishes for the DLC:
  1. Add one new star system: home system of House Va'ruun
  2. Center the story around another crusade and war between House Va'ruun and UC/Freestyle
  3. Main city of House Va'ruun should be more than just one bloody place like New Atlantis or Akila City. Think Boston in Fallout + all surrounding areas. Big map, that you can explore like in prior Bethesda games
  4. Make Great Serpent god thing that they worship a real alien race, game needs more variety

That's it.

I am thinking about this. I think these types of games are still in infancy. Bethesda is figuring out how to make quests interesting when your game is set on a tons of interconnected biomes instead of one big map.

I noticed when a quest is 30 mins + long, and on same planet with interesting stuff to do, it turns out to be pretty great.

On the other hand when they task you to jump from planet to planet successively, it gets old fast.

Am assuming Starfield 2 is about 20 yrs away, so they will keep working on this. Not sure if they will add one big map to explore. They need to perfect quests within this setup.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I am thinking about this. I think these types of games are still in infancy. Bethesda is figuring out how to make quests interesting when your game is set on a tons of interconnected biomes instead of one big map.

I noticed when a quest is 30 mins + long, and on same planet with interesting stuff to do, it turns out to be pretty great.

On the other hand when they task you to jump from planet to planet successively, it gets old fast.

Am assuming Starfield 2 is about 20 yrs away, so they will keep working on this. Not sure if they will add one big map to explore. They need to perfect quests within this setup.

The only way that I see this formula improving in current game is by introducing random encounters when you fast travel. Have you played original Fallout? That kind of thing. Fast traveling in Starfield has no consequences and no danger factor. Things like ship malfunctions, emergency landings on planets, pirate ambushes, derelict ships with unique loot, asteroid belt that you have to manoeuvre around and more should happen randomly.

I was thinking about it and introduction of grav drive tech hurt the game. If I’d design a game I would make so that yes, almost instant travel is possible but only after establishing connection between 2 star systems. Meaning, someone had to travel there first and build a device that would enable that. Like mass relays in Mass Effect. Imagine Starfield but with social aspects of Death Stranding. Where you share your game instance with other players and you all travel and discover and build connections between star systems. Then that infrastructure must be maintained and took care of.

I can go on and on about this.

The only way that I see this formula improving in current game is by introducing random encounters when you fast travel. Have you played original Fallout? That kind of thing. Fast traveling in Starfield has no consequences and no danger factor. Things like ship malfunctions, emergency landings on planets, pirate ambushes, derelict ships with unique loot, asteroid belt that you have to manoeuvre around and more should happen randomly.

I was thinking about it and introduction of grav drive tech hurt the game. If I’d design a game I would make so that yes, almost instant travel is possible but only after establishing connection between 2 star systems. Meaning, someone had to travel there first and build a device that would enable that. Like mass relays in Mass Effect. Imagine Starfield but with social aspects of Death Stranding. Where you share your game instance with other players and you all travel and discover and build connections between star systems. Then that infrastructure must be maintained and took care of.

I can go on and on about this.

Yeah, makes sense they should ask you to actually explore galaxy instead of giving you fully mapped out starmap.

Random encounters work well in Fallout 1& 2 but I didn't like them in Oblivion. So depends on how they pull it off.

I did Sarah's final quest. It had a pretty cool, self contained story on the planet. I think they should double down on those and encourage a bit more exploration wherever you land.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah, makes sense they should ask you to actually explore galaxy instead of giving you fully mapped out starmap.

Random encounters work well in Fallout 1& 2 but I didn't like them in Oblivion. So depends on how they pull it off.

I did Sarah's final quest. It had a pretty cool, self contained story on the planet. I think they should double down on those and encourage a bit more exploration wherever you land.

Yeah random encounters are tough to do right. I think it should be risk vs. reward type of situation. You need to deliver 100kg of shit from point A to B but you get paid more if delivered fast. Problem is the fast route can potentially be more dangerous. You need transport workers. Same thing. They pay you more for more people but you have intel that in that extra group there are potential Varuun fanatics that might cause trouble along the way. Sabotage your ship or attempt to take it over. That kind of stuff.

Yeah random encounters are tough to do right. I think it should be risk vs. reward type of situation. You need to deliver 100kg of shit from point A to B but you get paid more if delivered fast. Problem is the fast route can potentially be more dangerous. You need transport workers. Same thing. They pay you more for more people but you have intel that in that extra group there are potential Varuun fanatics that might cause trouble along the way. Sabotage your ship or attempt to take it over. That kind of stuff.

Yeah, they can put this type of more involved procedural generation all over the galaxy.

I am getting the impression they will keep working the game, from what execs are saying.

As is, I think the game is pretty cool, if they add stuff and make it more dense, that would be great.

JayK47

The ending was so odd and anticlimactic. Seems no matter what you do, it is some sort of new game plus or simply just keep playing with the main quest ended. Ok...

So I guess I am playing new game plus with the option to skip the main story. Also odd. Or maybe a good thing, since the main story is not that great. I guess I will play some more and see if it keeps my interest. Otherwise I will shelve it for a while and hope DLC and mods give me a reason to come back to it.

JayK47

So the 2 safes at the lodge have unlimited space but they are not connected to the workbenches or ship building.,., do I have that right.
If true, that is dumb. That is one of the main failings of the game. Trying to manage inventory and finding a good place to do crafting. I built a base for crafting, but you end up using so much materials to build the base, just so you can store more materials for crafting. And no matter what, you are low on something.

Just started my NG+, had to run around in my underwear until I could get to a clothing shop. LOL

I'm surprised they didn't just give special StarBorn apparel along with the Spacesuit. They could have given you a different one for different loops, your 1, 2, 5, 10, 100th, etc. For the collect everything people.

I'm going to miss my favorite guns as I go about unlocking the mission boards. Skills will be all about the science and building this time around.

I think they did a great job giving tons of things to do without forcing you into a grind. You could straight-line the main and faction quests in probably 20 or 30hrs or so and can complete the game with a low-ish level character if you want to (I didn't hit 50 as it was). But there are many, many, hours here if you enjoy one part of the loop or another (just a little over 150hrs for me on my first play through). Ubi should take notes here, there are always a lot of people complaining that it feels like a chore to complete the main story in a lot of their games, or that there is too much padding. I think Bethesda really excelled at balancing those elements here.

Somehow I managed to complete the main quest and become Starborn while missing an artifact somewhere or something. Vlad wouldn't point me toward any more temples, but I'm missing one of the Powers. Anyone else have that?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I finished the game and got all the achievements. A decent game that missed the mark of being great. It's a classic example of quantity over quality.

7/10 is the score it gets. It would easily be an 8.5 if they hadn't robbed the game of meaningful exploration the way previous Bethesda games did where you were encouraged to wander off the beaten path. In this game, when you wandered all you did was get randomly generated planets.
Huh? There's TOO MANY reasons to go off the beaten path. It gets overwhelming at times. 🤔

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Massive respect!

Downloaded all of em, now to make the most sus character to bother everyone on GaF lol

azFhrm2.jpg
I. FUCKING. CANT!!
WE ARE. NOT. DOING. THIS TODAY!!! Holy shit. Lol

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I went fully blind into the ending and started NG+

Lost everything

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

In a game that is based on ship building / outposts / Quests / Loot, what the fuck is this?

Well off to uninstall, anyway. Don’t think I would have really played an NG+ but I was hoping a bit more ship building.

Havoc2049

I wish there was some romance options outside of the Constellation crew companions. I met Jessamine Griffin in the Crimson Fleet Bar on The Key. Her skills are theft, ballistic weapons and stealth. She is a great companion for Crimson Fleet and Ryujin Industries missions. She gets the job done, doesn't complain/judge and is kinda hot. She would be a great romance option if you wanted to live the pirate lifestyle in Starfield.
RUKpNdX.png

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Yeah, they can put this type of more involved procedural generation all over the galaxy.

I am getting the impression they will keep working the game, from what execs are saying.

As is, I think the game is pretty cool, if they add stuff and make it more dense, that would be great.

I think they mean more expansions based on the long left they've seen Elder Scrolls and Fallout have.

I'm not sure how much will be working on it, but I expect the amount we generally see on DLC type stuff.

I don't want much tbh, more space stations, a big mother ship that can house smaller ships.

Land vehicles

Fess

Started doing resource transportation between multiple bases. Yet another rabbit hole discovered!
This game 😵‍💫

Can’t believe I didn’t even touch base building in my first playthrough, the depth of some of the optional mechanics here is on a whole other level.

Still trying to understand how multi base management works. I can tweek output and input and have transporter ships arrive etc.
Is there a limit on how many bases you can connect?
I assume this is how people do to build those huge city-like bases. Constant flow of the most common resources. Can even have auto build of some industrial objects going by base build parts.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Started doing resource transportation between multiple bases. Yet another rabbit hole discovered!
This game 😵‍💫

Can’t believe I didn’t even touch base building in my first playthrough, the depth of some of the optional mechanics here is on a whole other level.

Still trying to understand how multi base management works. I can tweek output and input and have transporter ships arrive etc.
Is there a limit on how many bases you can connect?
I assume this is how people do to build those huge city-like bases. Constant flow of the most common resources. Can even have auto build of some industrial objects going by base build parts.

I have a feeling that you would love settlement building mechanic in Fallout 4. It was way more complex and also way more useful when playing on survival difficulty.

Fess

I have a feeling that you would love settlement building mechanic in Fallout 4. It was way more complex and also way more useful when playing on survival difficulty.
Possible but I don’t like post-apocalyptic games. Haven’t played FO4 but dropped FO3 as soon as I exited the vault. All I saw was brown gray death.

I do love No Man’s Sky though. One of my all time favorites. Starfield is up on my all time list now. Creative mechanics allways get my interest up.

Some day if they add some beauty to the characters I’ll start doing texture stuff through mods, tattoos etc, I do digital art so it’s right up my alley to go wild there. But right now it’s a waste of time, the character design is like 2/10, so incredibly boring.

Bethesda should’ve hired Alanah Pearce, she obviously love the game and she could learn those devs that women can actually be pretty and sexy and be proud of it and still be strong and competent.

I honestly get angry thinking about this stuff. They hyped up the character creation by saying all characters you see in the game can be made with the character creation tool. Great. Only problem, it’s literally impossible to have any female curves with that tool other than through fat and there are no height differences in the whole universe.
I don’t know what they were thinking. How is it even possible to mess up that badly? Makes the population of the whole universe boring and samey.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Possible but I don’t like post-apocalyptic games. Haven’t played FO4 but dropped FO3 as soon as I exited the vault. All I saw was brown gray death.

Yeah, Fallout 4 is nothing like it. It’s full of color. And that’s vanilla game. There are countless mods to make it look the way you like it. With loads of trees and grass everywhere.

I’d suggest to give it a shot one day. It still can look gorgeous with some nice ENB.

Fess

Yeah, Fallout 4 is nothing like it. It’s full of color. And that’s vanilla game. There are countless mods to make it look the way you like it. With loads of trees and grass everywhere.

I’d suggest to give it a shot one day. It still can look gorgeous with some nice ENB.
Oh so it’s a world full of vegetation, like Ninja Theory’s Enslaved? That was great.
Could you find some video with nice scenery?

I think they mean more expansions based on the long left they've seen Elder Scrolls and Fallout have.

I'm not sure how much will be working on it, but I expect the amount we generally see on DLC type stuff.

I don't want much tbh, more space stations, a big mother ship that can house smaller ships.

Land vehicles

Personally, I feel game has a lot of content. More than necessary I would say.

I think it needs to direct player a bit better. You don't "explore" for long in some of quests. Sometimes it asks you to zip across planets in quick succession. I think they need to avoid such quests in future.

IMO best quests were those that involved exploration of some bases or planets (I won't spoil them here).

This is type of stuff I wanna see in future content. Though I find it funny they plan to add even more content. What is this game? Destiny 2??

I feel these types of games are still in their infancy, Bethesda is figuring out what works and what not. Hence the kitchen sink. Sort of like Elder Scroll games before Morrowind. Though I suspect we won't have to wait for part 3 till they are able to perfect the formula.

Fess

You don't "explore" for long in some of quests. Sometimes it asks you to zip across planets in quick succession. I think they need to avoid such quests in future.
I think they should work on the traversal through space.

Right now you’re mining a rock on a moon somewhere and as soon as you have it you can fast travel to your base on another planet in another system without ever putting your foot inside your space ship you just spent hours building.

Moon surface -> planet base surface = *ZAPPP!* There!

In a way I should admire them for removing some annoyances. Like when you enter your ship, you can go directly to your cockpit and not walk through the ship. It could easily end with annoyance if you have to do some extra work often that you’ve done hundreds of times before. Like the people who were concerned pre-release that you couldn’t land manually and just teleported to the surface, they clearly haven’t played enough No Man’s Sky where crafting a teleporter to skip the (fairly fast) landing is such a vital part of enjoying the game any longer time.

But maybe if they added a cool vehicle to use on planets it could be fun to go back to the ship, then they could say that you can’t fast travel without entering the cockpit.

And they could make some longer flights on main quests take some time so you set your autopilot and then walk around in the ship and do duties and talk to your crew and cook food and play card games or whatever. Could be an optional main settings choice to not add annoyances for those who just want ro zip through space fast.

The internals of the space ship is barely needed at all right now. For me it’s a bummer since I love the ship building so much.

I think they should work on the traversal through space.

Right now you’re mining a rock on a moon somewhere and as soon as you have it you can fast travel to your base on another planet in another system without ever putting your foot inside your space ship you just spent hours building.

In a way I should admire them for removing some annoyances. Like when you enter your ship, you can go directly to your cockpit and not walk through the ship. It could easily end with annoyance if you have to do some extra work often that you’ve done hundreds of times before. Like the people who were concerned pre-release that you couldn’t land manually and just teleported to the surface, they clearly haven’t played enough No Man’s Sky where crafting a teleporter to skip the (fairly fast) landing is such a vital part of enjoying the game any longer time.

But maybe if they added a cool vehicle to use on planets it could be fun to go back to the ship, then they could say that you can’t fast travel without entering the cockpit.

And they could make some longer flights on main quests take some time so you set your autopilot and then walk around in the ship and do duties and talk to your crew and cook food and play card games or whatever. Could be an optional main settings choice to not add annoyances for those who just want ro zip through space fast.

The internals of the space ship is barely needed at all right now. For me it’s a bummer since I love the ship building so much.

Personally, I don't have any issue with the way they handle ship related stuff. I feel they have gone above and beyond anything ship related from what I was expecting.

Then, I haven't played NMS Or Elite Dangerous and others. So dunno what am I missing out on.

Fess

Personally, I don't have any issue with the way they handle ship related stuff. I feel they have gone above and beyond anything ship related from what I was expecting.

Then, I haven't played NMS Or Elite Dangerous and others. So dunno what am I missing out on.
You can’t enter the ship in NMS so you don’t feel like you’re missing out on the ship experience there if you teleport from base to base.
Starfield is next level here since you can craft the ships internals and have different modules with furniture and computers and research areas and kitchen etc. It’s like it’s meant to be lived in.

That is a player choice thing, though. I always went to my ship and used the marker for a mission or chose destinations from there, even that little change keeps the immersion more in tact. Right at the end, before going to unity, I was grabbing the powers from the temples and I started just bouncing between the lodge and the target planets. That was a bad flow, but it was something I chose to do (had like 12 temples to do).

The temples are one of the critiques I have, these things should have been unique with elements of the design offering a call back to whatever power they are offering up. They missed an opportunity for some traps or unique fighting situations, the way it is is just meh.

As for a gameplay change I'd like to see them implement, I'd say please allow us to get out of the pilots chair once we are in orbit. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

EDMIX

That is a player choice thing, though. I always went to my ship and used the marker for a mission or chose destinations from there

I mean, I don't disagree. I'm the same way. I'm playing to get all of the immersion, but I also don't feel we should have to go out of our ways to force that, it should be the default imho.

Consider in Elder Scrolls and Fallout, in certain situations you actually can't fast travel to keep that immersion.

Regardless, I feel they should have had something in place to make better use of the ship. It feels odd to have all this time and energy put into ships, only to then have any option for them to be completely ignored by fast travel. For something like this, I think they would be better to force that you can't fast travel to a place you have never been to.

Fess

As for a gameplay change I'd like to see them implement, I'd say please allow us to get out of the pilots chair once we are in orbit. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What do you mean here? You can always do that (and I sometimes do that by mistake once I get stressed out!)

Hold down B? On xbox anyway.

What do you mean here? You can always do that (and I sometimes do that by mistake once I get stressed out!)

I could have sworn I didn't get the option.

The more you know. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Just verified this, yeah. Why did they take the prompt away? LOL Too funny. There were times when I forgot to drop my loot in the ships inventory and I was landing and then taking off again.

Last edited:

Fess

I could have sworn I didn't get the option.

The more you know. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Just verified this, yeah. Why did they take the prompt away. LOL Too funny. There were times when I forgot to drop my loot in the ships inventory and I was landing and then taking off again, too funny.
😅

Oh well at least you never left the seat by mistake in the middle of a fight and got blown to pieces.

I mean, I don't disagree. I'm the same way. I'm playing to get all of the immersion, but I also don't feel we should have to go out of our ways to force that, it should be the default imho.

Consider in Elder Scrolls and Fallout, in certain situations you actually can't fast travel to keep that immersion.

Regardless, I feel they should have had something in place to make better use of the ship. It feels odd to have all this time and energy put into ships, only to then have any option for them to be completely ignored by fast travel. For something like this, I think they would be better to force that you can't fast travel to a place you have never been to.

One thing they could do is make the money situation much tighter in the hardest mode (or have a different setting for this). As part of that, they could make finished goods very expensive for the player which would create a benefit for hunting down materials and crafting. Allowing fully prepared foods to have a big healing impact while individual ingredients don't and those kinds of things would create more need for cooking. Likewise there could be a cost in credits (is there a cost for jumping by default, character mention it but I never noticed it?) for fuel which would make the economy more important also. I can see where this would make the game tedious for some, so this would need to be completely optional for sure.

reinking

Gold Member
Fuck this buggy game. I just lost well over 24 hours worth of playtime, my entire 3rd NG+ run, I had collected all powers up to going to unity and gone back to do the Freestar faction questline. I was on the next to last mission. This run I had worked on leveling Marksmanship, Sniper Certification, Sharpshooting and concealment. Those are not the easiest to level. Fuckity fuck fuck.

I will accept that I could have had another save out there but after each mission I delete all of the extra saves except one and I keep one going back to the beginning of that run (in this case NG+ 3) and prior to entering Unity. I do this because having all of those extra saves bugs me for some reason. Under the circumstances, I do not know if it would have mattered because when I went to load the game it told me "This save is not compatible it is version 0" or something like that. WTF? The game did not update. All other saves during the current mission are wiped but the saves prior to entering Unity and the initial save at the beginning of this run load fine. So weird. I'm not sure if I did something that caused it but regardless, I am done with the game for now. Maybe for forever.

*I checked XBox saves. It had a few extra older saves but the saves from the current mission was missing from there too. :(

Last edited:

EDMIX

One thing they could do is make the money situation much tighter in the hardest mode (or have a different setting for this). As part of that, they could make finished goods very expensive for the player which would create a benefit for hunting down materials and crafting. Allowing fully prepared foods to have a big healing impact while individual ingredients don't and those kinds of things would create more need for cooking. Likewise there could be a cost in credits (is there a cost for jumping by default, character mention it but I never noticed it?) for fuel which would make the economy more important also. I can see where this would make the game tedious for some, so this would need to be completely optional for sure.

Truth.

Doing this gives more reason to care about those elements, especially cooking, eating, sleeping etc

With what I've played, a survival mode like what we saw in Fallout 4 seems inevitable.

avin

Shit, I only just really got into ship-building. Right now, I'm trying new builds, then heading into the Key over Kryx to see how well each build handles the Crimson Fleet. I'm consciously avoiding cheesing it with the hollow builds - they have to fix that, or maybe they don't. Very occasional bugs notwithstanding, how well it all works is blowing me away.

In my opinion, this has the bones for real greatness. They swung for the fences, not just once, but repeatedly. Some misses, but in the areas I really care about, they hit it out of the park.

avin

I'm at that point where I stop playing and just keep watching the nexus for interesting mods. I've been doing the same with each new bethesda release ever since fallout 3.
It seems this time modders won't wait for the creation kit to create more complex mods.

ebevan91

Getting near the end now! Loved just about every minute of this. Huge fan of your screenshots becoming the loading screens.

Hardly touched shipbuilding, haven’t touched outpost building.

I would like to try shipbuilding and outpost building but leveling up takes a while and I still need several points in each tree to even advance those skills.

Getting near the end now! Loved just about every minute of this. Huge fan of your screenshots becoming the loading screens.

Hardly touched shipbuilding, haven’t touched outpost building.

Same, I figured it was best to wait on the outpost/ship building until NG+. A great game that really pulls you into it. It will be interesting to see where they go with the story expansions.

You might want to throw a beacon out there as your first outpost before completing the game, it seems like the achievements don't pop in NG+ (anyone else have that problem?). Luckily I'm not an achievement hunter to begin with, but I can see the completionists out there being bothered by that.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

After putting 100+ hours and till NG+2, Only saving grace of this game is the LOOT and Gunplay.

You get one unique quest over a sea of monotonous game loop which gets you that high. Exploration is laughable, Dialogues are Bethesda, Characters are you talking to their hair, Story is alright (if other things were upto standard which they're not, Then story is bad as it fails to carry the game on its own).

Game's worth is not number of hours. Game worth is you coming out of the game satisfied. I completed 15% of Sekiro and walked completely satisfied. I have put 100 hours in Starfield and it pissed me off.

Playing CP77 after this was...wow.

any news of a patch?

What specific bug(s) are you waiting on getting addressed? Multiple patches have been released since launch, if that's what you mean.

That outpost achievement definitely doesn't work in NG+ yet, at least not for me. I'll throw an outpost down every once in a while and see if it every pops. Couldn't tell if this was related to my post about the achievement glitch or not. LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom