• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Weird on not being able to move your ship. Maybe some keyboard or controller settings got messed up. The part of the main quest you are on is about 50% of the way through the main quest line.
Thank you for the info!
Once I'm done with Phantom Liberty I'll start over.

Anyway this was my 1st "experimental" walkthrough so it ain't that bad.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
After 60 hours, I'm completely bored now. I'm near the end of the main quest, but I don't have the motivation to finish it. I won't do any faction quest. I'm not even sure if I'll finish the game. Lies of P calling me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
After 60 hours, I'm completely bored now.

I won't do any faction quest.

66a43481a71e5d1097d9aae0823d9b72_w200.gif

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
After 60 hours, I'm completely bored now. I'm near the end of the main quest, but I don't have the motivation to finish it. I won't do any faction quest. I'm not even sure if I'll finish the game. Lies of P calling me.
So you’re bored because you won’t play the game? Yeah, that makes sense. I once got bored going to a hokey game because I didn’t want to open my eyes.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I got bored, and I won't continue doing faction quests(or any other side quests). Maybe I'll focus on finishing the main quest. I don't understand why you are so surprised; I guess I didn't express my thoughts well.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Currently have 700/1000 for achievements. Only ones left are story based quests.

I have 2 left that I plan to tackle tonight. I'm not really the achievement type but since I like the game so much, why not? 1) visit all star systems 2) build and connect 5 outposts (I have 3 connected thus far). Let's go!

Shubh_C63

maaan fuck this game.
On NG+1 and while really feeling the boredom of Temple puzzles finally got something new (the hidden Crucible Quest), and accidently pressed Scanner(F)-->SurfaceMap(G) but the F didn't register. Lobbed a grenade and entire questline NPC is hostile now. Load was 30 mins ago somehow. Went away rested for 24 hours, did the Facility but the NPCs are still hostile.

Killed everyone in anger and went to NG+2. I may have 100 hours but I don't feel good about it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
maaan fuck this game.
On NG+1 and while really feeling the boredom of Temple puzzles finally got something new (the hidden Crucible Quest), and accidently pressed Scanner(F)-->SurfaceMap(G) but the F didn't register. Lobbed a grenade and entire questline NPC is hostile now. Load was 30 mins ago somehow. Went away rested for 24 hours, did the Facility but the NPCs are still hostile.

Killed everyone in anger and went to NG+2. I may have 100 hours but I don't feel good about it.

Weird, game should save every 5 minutes but yeah it's bugged as fuck. I jumped to NG+, put one point into combat skill tree (my first) and it won't register any kills with ballistic weapons. Totally useless.

Just now realizing how effective disguises can be in this game thanks to the fleet quests.

That moment when you realize this could have been helpful in a few different spots before.

Are they updating the game secretly?

Started playing after a few days of travel.

Went to a couple of planets. Lot more interesting stuff happening. Wildlife seems to be much more active and interacting with each other. One of them had range attacks to defend from predators.

Finding geological features more often. And light was consistently more beautiful.

Had much more fun scanning them.

Or maybe I just got lucky and came across better planets.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Are they updating the game secretly?

Started playing after a few days of travel.

Went to a couple of planets. Lot more interesting stuff happening. Wildlife seems to be much more active and interacting with each other. One of them had range attacks to defend from predators.

Finding geological features more often. And light was consistently more beautiful.

Had much more fun scanning them.

Or maybe I just got lucky and came across better planets.

Could be. Some patches don't go into complete detail.

It could also be that you merely never visited those worlds before or something.

Ok Starfield OT, I've been doing hood rat things and tried to steal a ship and it didn't let me lol If I steal a ship, what happens to the Frontier? Like, where can I go to select it if I want to swap out ships? I think when I found the ship on the ground and tried to steal it, it may have been tied to some quest or something and Couldn't take it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Ok Starfield OT, I've been doing hood rat things and tried to steal a ship and it didn't let me lol If I steal a ship, what happens to the Frontier? Like, where can I go to select it if I want to swap out ships? I think when I found the ship on the ground and tried to steal it, it may have been tied to some quest or something and Couldn't take it.

You can retrieve Frontier at any space port. Game is rather restrictive in what ships you can steal. Some are 'Inaccessible' and you can't even get inside. Some you can get inside but because Starfield really wants you to be a good boy, even after you kill Vanguard captain, you can's pilot it (you're not authorized). I don't like it.

EDMIX

You can retrieve Frontier at any space port. Game is rather restrictive in what ships you can steal. Some are 'Inaccessible' and you can't even get inside. Some you can get inside but because Starfield really wants you to be a good boy, even after you kill Vanguard captain, you can's pilot it (you're not authorized). I don't like it.

Thank you for this.

I'm triggered lol

I killed a whole ass crew and when I saw I couldn't take the ship, I redid the save and was like "guess it didn't happen" lol

Keep in mind, I don't wish to play this way. When I started BG3, I accepted all the choices and wanted to see where it goes and I love the game for it, I want to play Starfield that way, but if my intent is to murder a whole crew, family, etc to take a ship, I want the game to allow me to play that character out if indeed they have a ship. Imho, allow the free agency and let us steal any ship that is in the game with a crew and can be entered.

its only fair.

Otherwise, whats the fucking point of even having such a trait, class etc?

I digress, thanks for the info. I feel better stealing now knowing that I can collect the ships at Space Ports lol

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Thank you for this.

I'm triggered lol

I killed a whole ass crew and when I saw I couldn't take the ship, I redid the save and was like "guess it didn't happen" lol

Keep in mind, I don't wish to play this way. When I started BG3, I accepted all the choices and wanted to see where it goes and I love the game for it, I want to play Starfield that way, but if my intent is to murder a whole crew, family, etc to take a ship, I want the game to allow me to play that character out if indeed they have a ship. Imho, allow the free agency and let us steal any ship that is in the game with a crew and can be entered.

its only fair.

Otherwise, whats the fucking point of even having such a trait, class etc?

I digress, thanks for the info. I feel better stealing now knowing that I can collect the ships at Space Ports lol

Yeah, it's a true cock-blocker moment. Most ships can be stolen but it just creates such an inconsistency and disappointment... yet another stupid game design decision.

EDMIX

Yeah, it's a true cock-blocker moment. Most ships can be stolen but it just creates such an inconsistency and disappointment... yet another stupid game design decision.

We need to dead ass make a thread called "Make Free Agency Free Again" like half the thread will be about Starfield and Red Dead Redemption 2.

"If I want to have hookers, LET ME PAY FOR ARTHUR TO HAVE HOOKERS" - me probably

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
My idea/whishes for the DLC:
  1. Add one new star system: home system of House Va'ruun
  2. Center the story around another crusade and war between House Va'ruun and UC/Freestyle
  3. Main city of House Va'ruun should be more than just one bloody place like New Atlantis or Akila City. Think Boston in Fallout + all surrounding areas. Big map, that you can explore like in prior Bethesda games
  4. Make Great Serpent god thing that they worship a real alien race, game needs more variety

That's it.

2. Center the story around another crusade and war between House Va'ruun and UC/Freestyle
  3. Main city of House Va'ruun should be more than just one bloody place like New Atlantis or Akila City. Think Boston in Fallout + all surrounding areas. Big map, that you can explore like in prior Bethesda games
  4. Make Great Serpent god thing that they worship a real alien race, game needs more variety

That's it.

That sounds interesting.

At some point I feel like they should add a "New Earth" planet with multiple settlements that include more variety in living conditions, etc. And a big more flowing map like you mention (less vertical than New Atlantis, etc.). Maybe have some earthly animals that have been transplanted here along with the people (apparently no one gave a shit about the animals when evacuating the planet from what we can see). Have one sub city where the people choose to live off the land more (less technology focus) and so on. Maybe have a few distinct groups/factions here that are on the brink of war (where the player can either assist in building peace, be the catalyst in a never-ending war, or help one side to victory).

Along with that, maybe introduce some type of vehicle or horse or something for traversal between the main hubs of the map, fine if this is a city only feature and not something you can take off world).

The game has almost limitless potential for expansion. Will be interesting to see what they end up doing with it.

I can't believe I am finally having fun again in Starfield.
Setting it to Hard was the way to go. I clear few encounters but so worth it.
Yeah, on my re-roll I set it to very hard from the get go. It's a struggle for the first 10 hours or so, but it requires that you at least think about combat. That second character is now at level 35 and most fights are not too stressful, but I get surprised by enemies kicking my ass every couple of hours, and the ship fights are intense on very hard. I much prefer it this way though, really hate just waltzing through a game. Honestly the gun play is the best it's ever been in a Bethesda game, it feels really nice.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah, on my re-roll I set it to very hard from the get go. It's a struggle for the first 10 hours or so, but it requires that you at least think about combat. That second character is now at level 35 and most fights are not too stressful, but I get surprised by enemies kicking my ass every couple of hours, and the ship fights are intense on very hard. I much prefer it this way though, really hate just waltzing through a game. Honestly the gun play is the best it's ever been in a Bethesda game, it feels really nice.

I’m on my second character, level 13, playing on very hard once again. I forgot how hard it is at the beginning as my first character became insanely OP (level 100).

I went to scan a planet for alien life, got surrounded by dinosaurs and had to run for my life. When I turn around there were like 15 of them chasing me. It looked hilarious. Barely made it out alive. I need to upgrade my scanner as default 10 meters range is not enough to scan hostile aliens without engaging in combat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some cross-posted highlights from the Circana thread.

Despite launching on Game Pass and one less primary platform, Starfield is Bethesda's first RPG to top the monthly sales, this includes Skyrim and FO4.

The game has been a huge success both in retail and also caused a Game Pass subscriber up-tick per Circana.

GG, Todd.

Some cross-posted highlights from the Circana thread.

Despite launching on Game Pass and one less primary platform, Starfield is Bethesda's first RPG to top the monthly sales, this includes Skyrim and FO4.

The game has been a huge success both in retail and also caused a Game Pass subscriber up-tick per Circana.

GG, Todd.
It sold way better than I was expecting for a game which was also on Gamepass day 1. With all the people on this site talking about how terrible of a game it was I was starting to think that the general gaming public thought that way as well. I always forget that the Gaf hivemind is very different from gaming in general. Oh well, still love it here anyways!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

That's it.
Great idea.

Shubh_C63

I am actually surprised there was no main quest linked to exploring this secret sect. The snake mythology and how they stand separate as bloodthirsty heretics, I was sure they would tie in with the great secret somehow.

DLC. maybe.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I had fun in Akila City tonight. It feels so good to explore it at reasonable framerate. 4k, max settings, no reconstruction and 70+ FPS. It looks amazing.

Found some decent quests that I missed in my first playthrough.

I should take more photos...

HwcCNQF.jpg

I am pretty sure they are tweaking game behind the scenes. Never seen new Atlantis in such beautiful light. I goofed up and missed sun set by few minutes. Ended up taking in game screenshot instead of xbox one. So it got a bit darker by then.

rNe1RXV.jpg

Sybrix

Another mindlessly hateful review.

Good one.

It really isnt.

I'm really enjoying Starfield, for all it's faults.

But the points raised in this video from start to end, and i do mean start to end cannot be justified in 2023.

Especially the hype that Bethesda built up around this game.

Having said that, i'm still playing 45+ hours in and will continue to do so, but the faults cannot be dismissed.

Top Bottom