• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stitch

Gold Member
I kinda enjoyed Anodyne. Neat little Zelda-like game. And now it turned into a crappy platformer.. :/

god aargh I want to punch a kitten in the face

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wouldn't want a Chex game anywhere near my Steam list. Now, a Crispix game? Yeah, I'd pre-order that.

A man after my own Hydrox-crusted arteries.

So the No Time To Explain guys are publishing this game on Steam called Speedrunners. It looks like it's made in flash, but it isn't. There's multiplayer (local/online) and you can swing around. That's all I needed to hear. http://tinybuild.com/speedrunners

It looks neat, and it skipped GL by hopping on with the NTTE guys. I guess if you already have a game on Steam, there's a chance you can skip GL.

Love the movement and speed of the game. That art style is going to hurt them, though.

Does anyone knows why ChexQuest isn't on Steam?

iTohCY31AViNY.png

Side note: that image of the KISS game is apparently hosted on a website called Horrible Games.

You can download a ported version of all 3 games from the original designer's webpage. Technically not the original game but he recreated the levels for ZDoom.

To be on Steam it would probably have to be licensed from Ralston Foods and who knows if anyone there even remembers it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Square Japan in charge of business decisions though.

They have been basically running the company into the ground with the investments on XIII Versus and XV for the last several years.

Demanding ridiculous sales targets from games, and [blaming them on their quarterly reports for the losses undertaken by the company.

Releasing FFVII on PC, only on their store and riddled with DRM.

Completely cancelling IO's other projects and firing half of the staff because of Hitman Absolution sales numbers. Which I'm sure are partially due to the massive game play changes and homogenization to the series, which Square of Japan probably demanded.

Spreading the KH series across multiple platforms, making those iterations exclusive, each successive game's story is based on the last game, wonder why the sales fall off a cliff.

FFXIII and FFXIII-2 are objectively poor games that cost the company huge investments.

FFXV was a complete, rushed joke at release.
Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to defend their recent business decisions, just saying why some ports are more likely than others. They're officially considering it with XV and the previous CEO just resigned in March too, so who knows.

FloatOn

So the No Time To Explain guys are publishing this game on Steam called Speedrunners. It looks like it's made in flash, but it isn't. There's multiplayer (local/online) and you can swing around. That's all I needed to hear. http://tinybuild.com/speedrunners

It looks neat, and it skipped GL by hopping on with the NTTE guys. I guess if you already have a game on Steam, there's a chance you can skip GL.

Looks so much better than that game Rush Bros that I was excited to buy awhile back.

Grief.exe

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to defend their recent business decisions, just saying why some ports are more likely than others. They're officially considering it with XV and the previous CEO just resigned in March too, so who knows.

I wasn't calling you out or anything, just listing some poor decisions by Square.

Their new CEO seems to want to steer the company towards mobile and away from console/PC.

I liked FFXIII 1 and 2 :/

Your Steam Profile is set to private, no fun in that.

You are banned from this thread though, so don't respond.

Crisco

Banned
So wait, the Steam box will run Linux? How is that not really stupid? 99% of most people's Steam library won't work on it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, people still play Dead Island?

Also what's the difference between Counter Strike and Counter Strike Source? The only one I know is the former since it was a hit in my country years ago.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So wait, the Steam box will run Linux? How is that not really stupid? 99% of most people's Steam library won't work on it.

We don't know anything about the Steam Box really. Here is what we do know at the moment:

1) PC manufacturers will be able to use the Steam Box program as a sort of "Big Picture Mode Certified" platform. They'll be able to produce their own hardware configurations, including bundling Windows.

2) Valve is working on its own hardware, including a controller. What we know currently is that Valve is testing 2 different types of systems: a "stream box," an OnLive type box that would work to stream games from your own PC, and a more traditional, console-like box with its own gpu most likely powered by Nvidia and running Linux. We do not know if they plan on making the hardware themselves, or simply licensing the project to other manufacturers.

Choosing Linux for the box makes a lot of sense, but has a drawback:

+ Valve does not have to pay a licensing fee to Microsoft.
+ Valve would be in full control of the ecosystem (say good-bye to those nagging first time install dialog)
+ Would help to lower the overall cost of the box for a number of reasons.
- The lack of direct compatibility with Windows software and, therefore, much of the existing library of Steam games.

There is an argument that Valve seriously pushing Linux with a Steambox would get a lot of developers to start porting their games over, a trend which is already happening with larger independent studios. However, Valve could bypass this, at least in the short-term, by using Wine as a compatibility layer. Wine, while it also has its own problems, can be surprisingly effective at getting software to run if special profiles are made for each piece of software.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wait, people still play Dead Island?

Also what's the difference between Counter Strike and Counter Strike Source? The only one I know is the former since it was a hit in my country years ago.

CS has .5 the gfx but 10x better gunplays.

CSS is like 1x gfx and lol gunplays

CSGO is 1.1 gfx and lololol gunplays but with trading cards.

imBask

Banned
CS:GO is superior to Source in virtually every respect.

NO, I ONLY PLAY 1.6 ON A CRT MONITOR IN 640 * 480 BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY TRUE WAY TO PLAY CS STOP ENJOYING THINGS

seriously, the CS community is almost as bad as the MOBA one, it's 33% elitism, 33% "420 blaze it look at me I smoke weed" and 33% way too competitive

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NO, I ONLY PLAY 1.6 ON A CRT MONITOR IN 640 * 480 BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY TRUE WAY TO PLAY CS STOP ENJOYING THINGS

I originally rocked 800x600 back in the day but eventually moved to 1024x768 because I preferred the larger scoreboard font.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom