• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My current dream is Steam releasing NOLF 1+2 with cards as bonus.
I read "Steam releasing NOLF 1+2" and my heart literally skipped a beat. Don't ever do that again :/

Anyone know why Dark Souls refuses to start for me? I just formatted my computer like 3 hours ago and I'm running Windows 7. It won't start. All it does is install Direct X and jump back to Steam.
Not sure, but if a GFWL game refuses to run that's the first thing I blame: that PoS DRM.

Not running out per se, just lacking new material. I need an avatar-friendly shot of dat new hair.
Isn't "lacking new material" the very definition of "running out"? Or actually the cause.

Can't watch that pic at work. I'll have to wait until you're able to avatarize it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't "lacking new material" the very definition of "running out"? Or actually the cause.

Can't watch that pic at work. I'll have to wait until you're able to avatarize it.

Not exactly, because I can always use different older photos to make new avatars. But I try to avoid that.

BraXzy

Anyone know why Dark Souls refuses to start for me? I just formatted my computer like 3 hours ago and I'm running Windows 7. It won't start. All it does is install Direct X and jump back to Steam.

I had a similar problem when I first bought my pc. It had something to do with GFWL, I was stuck with it for days and tried everything so I can't remember exactly but.. I think I logged into GFWL out of the game or in a different game before loading it up? This is why GFWL shouldn't exist.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
JaseC went from lvl 20 to lvl 27 in like 3 hours, at that pace he'll get xelios by tomorrow midnight.

JaseC

Just curious...how far away are you from getting a restraining order?

We could not calculate directions between Perth, Western Australia, Australia and Dublin, Ireland.

I have no idea :p

JaseC went from lvl 20 to lvl 27 in like 3 hours, at that pace he'll get xelios by tomorrow midnight.

Haha, once I'm done maxing out my Binding of Isaac badge, that'll be it for me until the Summer Sale is over. I'm hoping the more expensive cards will have declined in a value a bit by then.

Ardvent

Valve just released the Source SDK 2013 on GitHub!

The Highlights
  • The End of the 'Tools/Launcher' - Tools are now built into the engine
  • Native clients on Windows, OS X, and Linux
  • Dedicated Servers on Windows and Linux
  • Changes to licensing
  • Native Occulus Rift Support
  • Steam Pipe Content Delivery
  • GitHub

Valve developer Alfred Reynolds said:
Future engines have been designed with cross platform support in the toolchain from the start.

Steam Applications:

oipic

Golly, that new hair - I most definitely approve. Someone find Jase an avatar, pronto (I was pleased to see the current one return, though).

Pesky cards and levels and other Valve-related economic voodoo magic - I love CKII so dearly that I'm tempted to collect the set and do the whole badge thing. I'm weaker than I than I thought, it seems - someone please reiterate that they're just simple, silly jpegs etc, and that it's all a bit bonkers.

The more I peruse the market, though, the more I can't help but be in awe of the cunning genius of this trading card thing. I'm not sure there's any product that understands its customers more than Steam.

NaM

I have a fellow gaf member in my friends list that is level 65. I dont even understand how that's possible.

I managed to get level 18 without using real* money, just selling and buying cards and tf2 items.

*By no real money I mean real money.

:tradingcardfoil: has gone up from €0.12 to €0.17 in a matter of hours people have bought over 1000 of them last night only 2500ish left now lol wonder if the price will continue to go up

JaseC

I managed to get level 18 without using real* money, just selling and buying cards and tf2 items.

*By no real money I mean real money.

Is it possible to get marketable drops in TF2 just by idling?

KingKong

someone should make a site that shows how a background would look in a profile. Seems like backgrounds with just characters and no abstract designs don't look as good

NaM

I think you can, I don't indle so I really don't know for sure, but some friends have asked me to give them my account to idle in tf2 to get items so there you go.

BTW Can I craft a badge for a game I don't have?

Nope. The only marketable TF2 items as of now (that I'm aware of) are genuine items (pre-orders only), vintage items (which can no longer be obtained) and unusual hats (which only come from crates).

JaseC

I think you can, I don't indle so I really don't know for sure, but some friends have asked me to give them my account to idle in tf2 to get items so there you go.

Ah, cheers. I'll leave the game running overnight and see how I go.

BTW Can I craft a badge for a game I don't have?

Yeah, just purchase a card from the Market and the badge will appear in your list. I did this with Dota 2 since I missed the boat on complimentary drops.

Edit:
Nope. The only marketable TF2 items as of now (that I'm aware of) are genuine TF2 items (pre-orders only), vintage items (which can no longer be obtained) and unusual hats (which only come from crates).

Aw. :(

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
So what's the point then? I mean there's no profit in buying high and selling low.

Keys are one of the currencies used by traders, as far as I know. I remember when the value of a trade was measured in those iphone earbuds...

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on... badges. lol

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CrystalTheory
GREAT SCOTT

..but then again, if that's what gives her enjoyment and she's capable to buy all that stuff without having to live in a dumpster, then why the heck not. People like her keep the (steam) ecenomy alive.

That's something. :p

Cth

question for those of you buying cards off the market....which are some of the 'cheapest' badges to buy?

And damn has that foil market crashed.

Games that EVERYONE has.. So stuff like TF2.

Games that have just been announced supporting cards also have a lot of cheap cards as people rush to the bottom to dump cards they don't want, undercutting one another.

It may be worth strategizing.. Make a list of common games, how many cards are required (games with 4-5 cards to a set at .50 each versus 9 cards at .30 each.. So 2 vs 2.70.

EDIT: There's also the whole issue of trading with your friends list. There may be groups out there dedicated to that sort of thing to maximize gathering strategies.

Chronoja

Keys are one of the currencies used by traders, as far as I know. I remember when the value of a trade was measured in those iphone earbuds...

There is a hierarchy of trade currencies. Refined Metal < Keys < Ear Buds < Uniques or whatever.

The rarer the item the more it starts to cost. I think Ear buds cost 22/23 keys, so once a rarity surpasses 22/23 keys it's measured in ear buds etc.

FloatOn

Come to think of it, Dark Souls profile backgrounds would be awesome. Make it happen, Scamco. Maybe I'll even stop calling you "Scamco" if you do!

Despite buying a few backgrounds, nothing really sticks out as a "keeper". A Dark Souls background would remedy that. Brilliant idea.

Prezhulio

does anybody have a coupon that expires AFTER july 8th? that seems like the probable sale start date since some are expiring then (even though they usually start on thursdays iirc).

or did any coupons overlap into sales since they've existed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom