• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So right now, the only evidence that SAM gets you VAC banned is speculation because of a CSGO ban wave.

Ok.

Shadownet

Banned
You get the cards without the time, bandwidth, or hard drive space required to download them (or the CPU time/usage)

Card drops in games with cards?

You get card drops. You can sell those or make badges from the cards. Though most people I know of mainly use SAM for achievements, even if they don't admit doing it.

People idle games to get cards. It helps to not have to install them to do that.

Edit: beaten like a [insert something funny here].

Getting the cards without having to install the games I think? And probably to get items in TF2

and I'm guessing this stuff is consider highly illegal by Valve? even with games that are not VAC-enabled?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I read your tutorial. But in the common folder there are only folders for games I installed, no steam_appid files.
But first, I read on so many places people try to gather cards. Why? Just to sell them or is this a metagame thing.
Cards = Steambucks.

and I'm guessing this stuff is consider highly illegal by Valve? even with games that are not VAC-enabled?
What?

Caerith

I'm always skeptical when someone says why they got a ban. I mean, if someone gets caught cheating, they're not gonna admit it-- they're just going to say "I was only using SAM for idling!" or "I was only using DSFix!" or "I run a review website."

Shadownet

Banned
No, not really. Looks like people are jumping to conclusions due to some Counter Strike bans.

Besides, does Valve even have a way of knowing that you're idling using SAM?

They highly don't give a hoot. I'm not sure of a single instance of them taking action against anyone doing it.

the only time I used a cheating device so far is when I used Cheat Engine to get some more money for X-Com Enemy Within. But I'm not banned yet.. so I guess i'm good? I know better than to mess with online multiplayer games like Counter Strike though.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The card drops themselves aren't really the problem. It's more of using SAM to unlock achievements that you didn't earn.

Valve hasn't really cared either way in the past, of course, but that could change in the future. It's why I don't recommend using something like SAM at all.

I read your tutorial. But in the common folder there are only folders for games I installed, no steam_appid files.
But first, I read on so many places people try to gather cards. Why? Just to sell them or is this a metagame thing.

The appid files are inside of those folders. Not all games have them. I think Half-Life 2 has an appid text file but Kentucky Route Zero doesn't, for example.

i doubt it since you are doing the same thing if you installed the game proper (it still drops randomly, etc).

its more that Valve might think you are cheating since it messes with the executable.

The card drops themselves aren't really the problem. It's more of using SAM to unlock achievements that you didn't earn.

I doubt this as well since iirc SAM has been around for a while and they seemed to not give a flying fuck about it.

Mono

You guys are making me nervous!
I have so many cards to idle for and like 3gb of free hard drive space!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm always skeptical when someone says why they got a ban. I mean, if someone gets caught cheating, they're not gonna admit it-- they're just going to say "I was only using SAM for idling!" or "I was only using DSFix!" or "I run a review website."

What I'm wondering is: SAM and Cheat Engine are bannable now? I don't see (okay, I can kinda see) why they would be in regards to offline use/achievement (LOL WHO CARES ABOUT THOSE</minority of people>) purposes, but banning for even having them on your system if you even join a VAC-enabled game without them even running/in memory seems a little... excessive. Double-so if they don't have proof of you using them to manipulate said online titles.

Ban people for being dicks/cheaters online, sure. Ban them for something arbitary (achievements) and their offline enjoyment (or lack thereof)? Seems off.

I understand people who use SAM to idle for games (I also did that) or just let the game open idling for cards, but lately I decided it could be interesting to actually play these games as a way to know if I'll go back to it after I got all the cards or if the game isn't worth any more time.

Just never actually launch a game simultaneously while spoofing a game launch with sam and you should be pretty transparent to valve.

I understand people who use SAM to idle for games (I also did that) or just let the game open idling for cards, but lately I decided it could be interesting to actually play these games as a way to know if I'll go back to it after I got all the cards or if the game isn't worth any more time.

That's what I have been doing as of late too.

What I'm wondering is: SAM and Cheat Engine are bannable now? I don't see (okay, I can kinda see) why they would be in regards to offline use/achievement (LOL WHO CARES ABOUT THOSE</minority of people>) purposes, but banning for even having them on your system if you even join a VAC-enabled game without them even running/in memory seems a little... excessive. Double-so if they don't have proof of you using them to manipulate said online titles.

Ban people for being dicks/cheaters online, sure. Ban them for something arbitary (achievements) and their offline enjoyment (or lack thereof)? Seems off.

It isnt confirmed that SAM is the reason those people were banned. What if there is a new cheat/hack for CS:Go out, that went unnoticed for a couple of weeks and now Valve noticed it and banned everyone who used it?
And these people now just try to find excuses?

It could be but that would also be jumping to conclusions.

Caerith

I doubt it, no. I haven't heard of Valve using something like Blizzard's "Warden" to scan your system and see what software you are using. Unless/until there's some credible source pointing to a correlation between SAM use and VAC bans, there's no reason to think Valve is banning for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It isnt confirmed that SAM is the reason those people were banned. What if there is a new cheat/hack for CS:Go out, that went unnoticed for a couple of weeks and now Valve noticed it and banned everyone who used it?
And these people now just try to find excuses?

It could be but that would also be jumping to conclusions.

Right. But again: If these rumors of having them even on your system when you don't use them in online/VAC-servers/games gets you banned, that seems a little crazy to me. That's what I'm wondering, is there any correlation with these latest bans and these sorts of programs for people that use them offline?

Quick question. Started CS:GO and it said restart your game as you need to update. I quit CS:GO and it says the download is queued up but it won't download.

How do I force?

Lomax

Even if they are VAC banning for SAM idling (which seems unlikely), just don't use it on VAC games and it will never happen. 99% of card games don't have VAC.

As for Playfire, they've always banned when they can determine cheating (SAM or otherwise) but they don't seem very good at it.

Turfster

Quick question. Started CS:GO and it said restart your game as you need to update. I quit CS:GO and it says the download is queued up but it won't download.

How do I force?

Do you have enough room on your CS:GO and Steam homedir drive(s)?
If you do, just click the up-arrow button in the download list.

Do you have enough room on your CS:GO and Steam homedir drive(s)?
If you do, just click the up-arrow button in the download list.

I have plenty of room.

That's the thing, it hasn't appeared on my download list. :(

edit: THERE we go. It finally appeared. That was weird.

Can someone explain what 'operations' are on CS:GO?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
As long as the appid txt trick continues to work for card idling I'm good. I know SAM is supposedly safe but I'm glad I don't have to use it.

The appid files are inside of those folders. Not all games have them. I think Half-Life 2 has an appid text file but Kentucky Route Zero doesn't, for example.

Found it. So I change the id in the txt file to the id of the game I want to idle for cards? And then start the exe. But steam thinks I actually started the game with id I wrote in the txt file.

jediyoshi

Right. But again: If these rumors of having them even on your system when you don't use them in online/VAC-servers/games gets you banned, that seems a little crazy to me. That's what I'm wondering, is there any correlation with these latest bans and these sorts of programs for people that use them offline?

It's crazy because it sounds crazy. Valve are very transparent when it comes to CSGO bans and about how thorough they are when validating VAC bans. If SAM were either directly or indirectly responsible, it would have both already been an issue and obviously addressed much earlier.

Caerith

wikipedian_protester.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Found it. So I change the id in the txt file to the id of the game I want to idle for cards? And then start the exe. But steam thinks I actually started the game with id I wrote in the txt file.

Basically, yes. That's all there is to it. You don't even have to download a program that could tempt you to unlock achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom