• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means he should get a GBA and play all of the GBA Castlevanias :)

This. I just got through replaying everything from Circle of the Moon through Order of Ecclesia, and I'm trying to find a fresh experience that comes close. Stuck choosing between Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge and Dead Cells.

Each has it's pros and cons: HK is gorgeous and long, but has tough platforming sections and no leveling up; AV's techno-horror artstyle is super interesting, but it's almost entirely Metroid and zero 'Vania; Dead Cells has brilliant combat and randomly generated dungeons, but it isn't finished yet and seems really lacking in enemy variety.

I've played just about every other big game in the genre, and it's crazy to me that nothing has managed to fully capture Iga-era Castlevania's magic.

Purkake4

Banned
Ugh y'all are making me second guess myself. Keyboard and mouse just isn't an option, I don't have a desk. I wish there was a demo. Have you tried playing Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun with a controller? Is it worse than that?
No idea, don't have a controller. Just relaying what I've read.

Bl@de

Bought so many games so far and there is still time ... aaargh

Walking Dead: A New Frontier (and already finished it, fantastic game)
Aliens vs. Predator 2010
Aliens: Colonial Marines (The ACM overhaul mod made me buy this)
Alien: Isolation
Arx Fatalis
Final Fantasy IX
Sniper Elite 3
Serious Sam HD 1&2 (never knew there were HD versions, my most cherished LAN memories come from SS)
Portal 2

This. I just got through replaying everything from Circle of the Moon through Order of Ecclesia, and I'm trying to find a fresh experience that comes close. Stuck choosing between Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge and Dead Cells.

Each has it's pros and cons: HK is gorgeous and long, but has tough platforming sections and no leveling up; AV's techno-horror artstyle is super interesting, but it's almost entirely Metroid and zero 'Vania; Dead Cells has brilliant combat and randomly generated dungeons, but it isn't finished yet and seems really lacking in enemy variety.

I've played just about every other big game in the genre, and it's crazy to me that nothing has managed to fully capture Iga-era Castlevania's magic.

As I posted in the Hollow Knight thread, HK is a Castlevania more so than a a Metroidvania. It is the closest game on Steam I think to Castlevania. It doesnt have the "leveling up" and other small RPG elements of the 2D castlevania, but none of the games on Steam do. The gameplay and level design remind me more so of Castlevania though, than a Metroid. I definitely suggest you pick it up over Axiom and Dead Cells (and I bought all 3 this sale). Dead Cells is really just Rogue Legacy (which I loved) so not a metroidvania at all.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

The lack of leveling up in Hollow Knight should not prevent you from enjoying it. The game has ways of progressing your character and is a joy to control just like the Igavanias are. It is a great game.

PaulSane

Nothing too fancy, sorry.

Happy birthday! :)

In other news, i'm liking Nier: Automata a lot - when a game allows me to go explore and find hidden stuff and enemies way out of my league that can still be beaten with a proper approach is always a huge plus in my book. Can't really comment on the story yet, i'm still on route A, but i already see some hints of things to come :p

Also played a little bit of Hitman - i can see myself losing a lot of time in that game.

Still thinking about picking up a couple of other games, but not sure if i will have time for them before winter sale in light of recent Cold Steel announcement, still need to finish SC and 3rd before starting that one.

Stoze

Hollow Knight's tough platforming sections are few and far between, it's mainly the bosses that give people a run for their money. HK's charm system reminds me of Circle of the Moon's card system.

If you're a Castlevania fan you should also give Castle in the Darkness a shot. It's kind of a middle ground between pre-SOTN games and post ones, as it's largely linear and old-school with no map but there is ability gating, stats and equipment, backtracking, tons of secrets, etc.. Playing it right now and it's really good, but much more challenging than any of the IGAvanias. It also wears the Castlevania influence on its sleeve and there's a lot of fun game references.

WarRock

Give Cave Story or Valdis Story a try.

can someone help me find a great game under $10? or have one that they'd recommend.

EDIT: Im willing to try any genre single player or multiplayer any length i dont care! just looking for some great games

Dec

Ugh y'all are making me second guess myself. Keyboard and mouse just isn't an option, I don't have a desk. I wish there was a demo. Have you tried playing Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun with a controller? Is it worse than that?

I've tried Grim Dawn with a steam controller just to see how it worked and it was pretty alright. I don't know how other controllers fare.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Unfortunately, I possess Jeff Gerstmann-esque gaming tastes where even little mechanics and design choices can sour me on an entire, otherwise worthwhile experience.

The lack of leveling up in Hollow Knight should not prevent you from enjoying it. The game has ways of progressing your character and is a joy to control just like the Igavanias are. It is a great game.

But if you reach a "skill wall," is it possible to go do another area and then return with a more powered-up character?

This is a huge component of those games for me, I love being able to make up for stat deficits with skill and skill deficits with stats. HK doesn't seem as willing to allow that.

Give Cave Story or Valdis Story a try.

I tried Valdis Story, but the timed puzzles and combat rankings killed it for me. It felt like the dev was shitting on me for taking on a boss I was underleveled for and barely beat, totally killing the euphoria of a narrow victory.

Hit me up for one of those 25% off PUBG codes if you're interested. I have 3 left

I know, read reviews but I did get lords of shadow 1 as well if that means anything ��

Really, just play Super Castlevania IV for the perfection in classic Castlevania gameplay and then play Symphony of the Night for the evolution of it.

Lords of Shadow was something for sure. Not a bad game really, but I don't remember it being super Castlevania. If you're looking into getting into Castlevania stay away from anything 3D for sure though.

Fun fact, the first game I bought after getting my first job was Lords of Shadow. I never ended up beating it but I remember having a good time with it.

Dot-N-Run

I was a bit depressed after looking into how Valkyria Revolution turned out, so I decided to finally pick up Valkyria Chronicles on Steam to play the dlc I never bought on PS3. But looking at the price, it isn't on sale at all, still shows up as CDN $21.99.

Why would Sega do this? It almost feels as if it is part of some hare-brained conspiracy to get people to make people forget how good VC is and buy Valkyria Revolution instead.

Monooboe

So Ys The Oath in Felghana, is that one more of a RPG than Ys Origin? I tried to get into Origin but it was little too linear and gameplay focused for me. I want something like Xanadu Next, that was so good.

Eridani

But if you reach a "skill wall," is it possible to go do another area and then return with a more powered-up character?

This is a huge component of those games for me, I love being able to make up for stat deficits with skill and skill deficits with stats. HK doesn't seem as willing to allow that.

Hollow Knight has a lot of ways to power up your character (sword upgrades, charms, extra abilities, more powerful spells etc.), so this is completely possible. The game is also incredibly open, so you can pretty much always just go to another area and power up your character there.

You'll still need skill for the harder things though. Can't just level up infinitely and completely stomp everything. The difference in power between the start of the game and the end is still pretty huge though.

Miletius

You don't want to play Grim Dawn with a controller. I tried it, it's unplayable even with the simplest auto attack build you can play. That being said, I enjoyed the game a lot, but you gotta go into it with the mentality that it revels in it's old school ness.

Tonton

So Y's The Oath in Felghana, is that one more of a RPG than Ys Origin? I tried to get into Origin but it was little too linear and gameplay focused for me. I want something like Xanadu Next, that was so good.

I'm not sure what you want here since I think Xanadu Next is fairly linear and gameplay focused too
Felghana is fairly similar to Origin I think but there's also a town with a few quests and there are a few places you might want to go back to later after getting a new power
Gear progression is similar to Origin but swords are more like armor (multiple ones with minor upgrades from more common resource)

Ladekabel

Buy Grim Dawn, try it with a controller for less than two hours. If you like the controls, keep it. If you don't like them, refund it.

Ascheroth

So Y's The Oath in Felghana, is that one more of a RPG than Ys Origin? I tried to get into Origin but it was little too linear and gameplay focused for me. I want something like Xanadu Next, that was so good.
IT'S YS
YS
YS

Felghana is a little more open than Origin, but it isn't as much RPG as Xanadu Next either.

What is the easiest game to get the achivement quest?
Well I did both of the achievement quests with Root Double - there's a number of very easy ones. (we're talking about a minute or 2 :p)

Hollow Knight has a lot of ways to power up your character (sword upgrades, charms, extra abilities, more powerful spells etc.), so this is completely possible. The game is also incredibly open, so you can pretty much always just go to another area and power up your character there.

You'll still need skill for the harder things though. Can't just level up infinitely and completely stomp everything. The difference in power between the start of the game and the end is still pretty huge though.

Okay, sold. Thanks!

Excelsior

Wanna give a shout-out to Party Panic. It's basically the minigames from Mario Party in an neat, local/online multiplayer package.

Dev is super transparent and great at communication, too. Check it out!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
What is the easiest game to get the achivement quest?

Any ideas for the easy achievement since its back in the sticker thing.

I did the The Darkside Detective Demo for it last time.

Some folks have suggested some free clicker games, such as Adventure Capitalist or Fallout Shelter.

I will recommend:

Not because it is easy, but because it is hard. And cool.

h#shdem0n

Buy Grim Dawn, try it with a controller for less than two hours. If you like the controls, keep it. If you don't like them, refund it.

You don't want to play Grim Dawn with a controller. I tried it, it's unplayable even with the simplest auto attack build you can play. That being said, I enjoyed the game a lot, but you gotta go into it with the mentality that it revels in it's old school ness.

I've tried Grim Dawn with a steam controller just to see how it worked and it was pretty alright. I don't know how other controllers fare.

I might just get Van Helsing instead.

Tizoc

It's Ys not Y's

Ys Oath in Felghana has you explore various areas and is linear too but the game doesn't take place in a magical tower.

Monooboe

Alright, I corrected to Ys!:D But yes sounds like Oath might be more for me. It's so weird, I really like playing Falcom games but somehow I also can't fully get into them.

Trying to sell cards enough for Unexplored but considering a Ys game as a backup.

I'm not sure what you want here since I think Xanadu Next is fairly linear and gameplay focused too
Felghana is fairly similar to Origin I think but there's also a town with a few quests and there are a few places you might want to go back to later after getting a new power
Gear progression is similar to Origin but swords are more like armor (multiple ones with minor upgrades from more common resource)

IT'S YS
YS
YS

Felghana is a little more open than Origin, but it isn't as much RPG as Xanadu Next either.

Well I did both of the achievement quests with Root Double - there's a number of very easy ones. (we're talking about a minute or 2 :p)

It's Ys not Y's

Ys Oath in Felghana has you explore various areas and is linear too but the game doesn't take place in a magical tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom