• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in for one of the recent immersive sim games but don't which to choose: Deus Ex 4 for $15, Dishonored 2 for $20, or Prey for $40. Any suggestions?

Prey is amazing in all ways. Deus Ex is great but the Story is meh, Dishonored 2 I havent played yet but I did enjoy D1.

Necrovex

I'm playing through the Dishonoured 1 DLCs, due to many suggesting doing so before playing DH2, and I forgot how much I loved this type of game. <3

My favorite purchase from this Steam Sale is still State of Decay. My god, I am having so much fun with it. I'll probably ignore the DLCs, but the OG version is legit fantastic.

It's not on sale, but if anyone is considering buying PUBG, get it on Amazon (Steam key). You get a $5 credit towards your next video game purchase when you buy it there. The credit got emailed to me the next day, and expires at the end of August.

Are there any good turn based tactical westerns? One of my favorite games way back when was Six Gun Shootout. It was by SSI and you could play all sorts of famous scenes from both history and film.

Hard West is awesome though it has some mechanics issues. The enemy gets overwatch while you don't for one.

The Feud is coming soon as well at some point.

Mivey

I'd say that Cold Steel is effectively a non-sequel game. So let's hope for bank!
It's a rather shallow reason, but the fact that it is 3D (without sprites for character) , and seems to more directly target certain Anime cliches (For a casual observer it looks like something about Japanese school children) might make it more appealing to a larger audience.

derFeef

Silly question but how does uplay account linking work? Does it work in both directions? Like if I buy from uplay (or redeem a key in uplay) does that game also appear as a game in my library (not just as shortcut) with achievements and such?

Ascheroth

It's a rather shallow reason, but the fact that it is 3D (without sprites for character) , and seems to more directly target certain Anime cliches (For a casual observer it looks like something about Japanese school children) might make it more appealing to a larger audience.
But the Sky games are 3D as well :p

But yeah, it obviously looks less dated so that alone is very likely a plus.
By all accounts, Cold Steel should do much better than Sky SC and 3rd.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Silly question but how does uplay account linking work? Does it work in both directions? Like if I buy from uplay (or redeem a key in uplay) does that game also appear as a game in my library (not just as shortcut) with achievements and such?

If you're asking if buying a game on Uplay also grants you the Steam version, like some sort of SteamPlayesque system, then no. They're separate SKUs to the point that you can't actually launch the Steam version of a Uplay game from Uplay itself.

Edit: To be clear, the Steam versions of Uplay games are listed in your Uplay library, but if you try to launch one, the action will be rerouted to Steam:
ac3steamuplaym4kjy.jpg

derFeef

If you're asking if buying a game on Uplay also grants you the Steam version, like the Ubi equivalent of SteamPlay, then no. They're separate SKUs to the point that you can't actually launch the Steam version of a Uplay game from Uplay itself.

Weird! Okay thanks.

For Steam? If you buy a Ubisoft game anywhere except Steam you will not have it attached to your steam account. If you buy it on Steam, it launches Uplay and you log into your ubisoft account and it will be attached to your Ubisoft account as well.

Ascheroth

More importantly, how much will Cold Steel be? 30-40€ with a 10% launch discount? How about some extra discount if you own all the Sky games? :p

scurker

Northgard looks very nice. Anyone played it?

I've played a couple of hours so far. It seems to be a complete game thus far. It's a little disingenuous to call it a city builder, and is more of a mix between a RTS and Civilization. I'd say there's enough content in there for the price - it's just a matter of if it's your type of game or not.

Tonton

More importantly, how much will Cold Steel be? 30-40€ with a 10% launch discount? How about some extra discount if you own all the Sky games? :p

The game was already $40 on both PS3 and Vita more than a year ago so I doubt it'll be any more than $30
I'm thinking it'll be $30 with all DLC included and a 10% launch discount

I hope they say something more concrete about when CS2 is launching after they release it

Tomasety

It should do. The notice that was sent out to sellers is more detailed and regardless of whether you're selling items personally or as a "business", you'll need to provide sufficient evidence of a registered business name in order to create new listings.

Thanks to lashman I saw this tweet.

RBmv6tn.png

Do you have any idea about that Durante?

Also, wish gaf could embed tweets...

bonesquad

I was clicking through my discovery queue and Steam finally suggested something really good.

Released today with -15% discount.

I really enjoyed Ticket to Earth on iOS earlier this year. However, because only episode 1 is released (with 3 more episodes to be released as free updates) the game does feel unfinished. I recommend adding this to your wishlist until at least another episode is released. But then certainly give the game a look. (Or grab the game on iOS where its half the price...)

I've played a couple of hours so far. It seems to be a complete game thus far. It's a little disingenuous to call it a city builder, and is more of a mix between a RTS and Civilization. I'd say there's enough content in there for the price - it's just a matter of if it's your type of game or not.

It gives me a Age Of Empires vibe so it seems my type of game yeah

Tried to play 3 matches in Lawbreakers beta, all 3 matches was with weird connection issues, teleports all over the place and ended with "lost connection to host" messages. I don't know how the hell they managed to broke netcode so much, i played previous beta and alpha and everything was fine, now game is unplayable for me. I was thinking about buying it at launch, but now i completely lost my interest, such a shame.

Amzin

Tried to play 3 matches in Lawbreakers beta, all 3 matches was with weird connection issues, teleports all over the place and ended with "lost connection to host" messages. I don't know how the hell they managed to broke netcode so much, i played previous beta and alpha and everything was fine, now game is unplayable for me. I was thinking about buying it at launch, but now i completely lost my interest, such a shame.

It's probably a server load issue, isn't this more of a stress test beta going on? Regardless, I'll probably wait until after it comes out to buy it if I do, see a bit better how it plays.

TsuXna

There's nothing quite like it (except for the boardgame version). Looking forward to their new game.

Yea, It gets very emotional. When they get depressed and talk to each other "We can do it" and etc. With that fitting nice background music i often caught myself thinking "Don't give up" lol

Any opinions on Drakensang and Drakensang river of time?
I'd recommend Drakensang 2 (River of Time) plus its expansion (Phileasson's Secret), but not Drakensang 1. D2 is a lot more interesting to actually play.

So, Drakensang 2 is a good, Neverwinter Nights-style game. The developer went bankrupt after RoT, IIRC, but you can tell they put their heart into it. Anyways, Drakensang is a real-time with pause, party-based RPGs set in the Dark Eye universe. They're not as polished as Neverwinter Nights, but much more ambitious overall. (However, Drakensang's writing is pretty average-to-forgettable.) I will add that I've never finished RoT, but it's something I've always meant to do; it's an easily-overlooked gem-in-the-rough, and a huge improvement over the mediocre Drakensang 1.

Also, protip: if you have trouble launching the game, download RoT completely first, and only afterwards download the expansion, Phileasson's Secret. I had issues launching the game before I figured out it was a file conflict caused by downloading both at the same time; it's the only game on Steam to ever give me this problem.

Kiru

Nothing too fancy, sorry.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Planetary Annihilation -- MB-4B03AFCAB48303D4 - Taken by Natty1. 4 entrants total.
Binary Domain, Condemned, Streets of Rage 2 -- MB-46F800F2B47B83EF - Taken by DataGhost. 7 entrants total.
Coffin Dodgers -- MB-53C379950C79D4D8 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 4 entrants total.
Gunstar Heroes, Renegade Ops, Viking Battle for Asgard -- MB-C12C56DC7C0A2E97 - Taken by Jadax. 3 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-348BE35710B117FC
Memoria -- MB-D57BCBE0D92BC96A - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 13 entrants total.
Particula -- MB-8474D41488CA623F
The Ship -- MB-9E1EC7959776A46B - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
X-Blades -- MB-C18EB21F0E4FFFCE - Taken by Phu. 3 entrants total.

t1498761670z1.png

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

A Detectives Novel -- MB-89115551739B3E10 - Taken by Mackenzie 92

h#shdem0n

Here's what I currently have in my cart. Any suggestions, similar games I might have missed? I love action and RPG games, and only play with a 360 controller (although I have a steam controller en route).

1hus5mh.png

Edit: Speaking of that Steam Controller, how long can I expect to wait? I ordered it on the 23rd but tracking still just says the label was created.

Ladekabel

Here's what I currently have in my cart. Any suggestions, similar games I might have missed? I love action and RPG games, and only play with a 360 controller (although I have a steam controller en route).

1hus5mh.png

Edit: Speaking of that Steam Controller, how long can I expect to wait? I ordered it on the 23rd but tracking still just says the label was created.

Do you own Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? Dust: An Elysian Tale might be something for you, too. If you don't have a problem with Early Access and rogue-lites, I can recommend Dead Cells. Don't know if the deals on WinGameStore and Bundlestars are still going. Oh, and can't go wrong with the Ys games.

Don't know how it plays with a Steam Controller but I found the controller support for Grim Dawn subpar.

h#shdem0n

Do you own Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? Dust: An Elysian Tale might be something for you, too. If you don't have a problem with Early Access and rogue-lites, I can recommend Dead Cells. Don't know if the deals on WinGameStore and Bundlestars are still going. Oh, and can't go wrong with the Ys games.

Don't know how it plays with a Steam Controller but I found the controller support for Grim Dawn subpar.

I actually already own all three of those games! Which means you did a good job inferring my taste from what's in my cart, haha. Dead Cells is really fun, I didn't think I was going to like it at first (I'm not crazy about roguelikes although i did like Rogue Legacy a lot).

Aw, don't tell me that about Grim Dawn! Is it really bad, like unplayable?

Dishonored 2 got seriously some of the best level design in all of videogames.

You still have some really good stuff in front of you.

It's one of the best single player levels in a game in years. It's only really bettered by another level that you'll encounter later on in Dishonoured 2.

Fantastic game.
I'm so sad that Bethesda just let this die. Their new review embargo policy is bullshit.

Oh and I was getting drops down to 45 on ultra with a 1070. Would that be the most graphically intensive area of the game? Seems like it.

It's one of the best single player levels in a game in years. It's only really bettered by another level that you'll encounter later on in Dishonoured 2.

Fantastic game.

I think I know which one you're talking about, but I felt like the one Crimson was talking about is better.

Purkake4

Banned
It's not unplayable but as someone who loves Diablo 3 on consoles it was disappointing and uncomfortable. Might be better now. Been a few months since I last played it.
D3 had way too many corners filed off for me to enjoy it. Grim Dawn is great if you're looking for a modern D2 kind of a deal.

Wouldn't recommend a controller though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I know, read reviews but I did get lords of shadow 1 as well if that means anything &#128514;

It means you should play Lords of Shadow first

Ban Puncher

Just got an email from GMG with a code that is good for 25% off PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS for three people.

Hit me up via PM if you want in.

h#shdem0n

D3 had way too many corners filed off for me to enjoy it. Grim Dawn is great if you're looking for a modern D2 kind of a deal.

Wouldn't recommend a controller though.

Ugh y'all are making me second guess myself. Keyboard and mouse just isn't an option, I don't have a desk. I wish there was a demo. Have you tried playing Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun with a controller? Is it worse than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom