• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm considering two options: either this game has some delay/shorter response time than others I've played before, or my controller loses connection from time to time.

You're not the only one who has said Hollow Knight has some sort of noticeable latency.

I've chalked it up to actions with fairly large start animations, since the game feels pretty zippy otherwise. It'll also play the sounds for some actions like some attacks even though you've actually been interrupted before you successfully complete them, which can be pretty confusing in the middle of fights.

Backlogger

Is there a way within Steam to view all of the "complete your bundle" options?

I feel like for me that is where some of the best deals can be.

Ventara

Is there a way within Steam to view all of the "complete your bundle" options?

I feel like for me that is where some of the best deals can be.

Indeed it is, what with the bundle discount applying in the sale price. Sadly, I don't think there is a way. There are websites that help you with this, though, if you want to use those.

So far I've purchased:

• Hollow Knight
  • Dead Cells
  • ABZU
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Anyone have thoughts on the following?:

• Stories: Path of Destinies
  • Furi + DLC
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • A Story About My Uncle

So far I've purchased:

• Hollow Knight
  • Dead Cells
  • ABZU

• Furi + DLC
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • A Story About My Uncle

Furi is excellent, as is Crypt.

Stoze

I'm considering two options: either this game has some delay/shorter response time than others I've played before, or my controller loses connection from time to time.
Someone in the OT said turning V-Sync off fixed it for them, they had an X1 controller though.

Anno

You're not the only one who has said Hollow Knight has some sort of noticeable latency.

I've chalked it up to actions with fairly large start animations, since the game feels pretty zippy otherwise. It'll also play the sounds for some actions like some attacks even though you've actually been interrupted before you successfully complete them, which can be pretty confusing in the middle of fights.

General movement shouldn't have much or any latency. In general your dude is supposed to be pretty nimble.

Maybe it's a controller thing? I remember that close to release people were having similar issues when using wired Xbox controllers. Not sure if anything was ever changed in that regard.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
So far I've purchased:

• Hollow Knight
  • Dead Cells
  • ABZU

• Furi + DLC
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • A Story About My Uncle
Hyper Light Drifter is fun but I don't think it is great

Servizio

They won't have a buy a game or craft a badge quest in the summer event right....?

Nah, should be all free to accomplish community profile stuff. That's how it worked with previous events.

Easy achievement for stickers. Grandia II (not on sale). Just press the X button on your Xbox controller.

jKPm3Tt.png

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting a missing file privileges error when trying to update Streets of Rogue on Steam. Is there any way around that besides launching Steam as an admin?

edit: Error message says "An error occurred while updating Streets of Rogue (missing file privileges):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\temp\512900". I try turning off the read-only setting on the folder, but I get an access denied error even as an admin.

Soi-Fong

Looked up some videos of Xanadu Next and damn does it look cool. Reminds me of Diablo in some ways..

Actually, there's still a few in my list I want to get like Grim Dawn and Else Heart.Break.

Hopeford

I actually wasn't gonna get anything, but best girlfriend in the world gave me a steam gift card for my birthday since she knew of the sale so I'm like "WELL. I just got a license to be irresponsible. WHAT TO GET."

Is it good, though? Saw that when it was on the Monthly bundle and it seemed kinda bad.

Honestly, maybe the game is good, I can't really judge. My experience with it was getting it on the Monthly bundle, loading it up, having the game somehow crash, have weird performance and a not particularly inspiring UI. I tapped out at that point. It might still be good though, just, yeah. I didn't have the best first impression.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Man, I marathoned Prey this week. Would easily be my GOTY if it wasn't for Zelda.

Arkane are so fucking good. I want to play Dishonored 2 (and even bought it at launch) but all the PC version issues turn me off.

Ventara

Shame about Shoppe Keep. Forgot to mention I have the Atelier games. They're a little different, but they'll probably scratch that Recettear itch I have.

Anyways, this is probably gonna be my final list from this sale.

Pretty good sale, tbh. Found some good hidden gems, wishlisted a bunch of stuff and picked up a few cheap games from my wishlist.

Also, mentioning this since the sale is probably overshadowing it, but Bundlestars has a few $1 bundles with a lot of games. The cards alone will make back what you pay, so even if you're only interested in 1 game, it's still worth it. Also, Indie Gala has a Dharker Studio 2 bundle going on. Has a bunch of nice short VNs if anyone wants to try one for cheap. Tempted to get it, but I have like half the bundle, so not sure.

is it a lot like recettear?

Kind of? I got into the Atelier series because it was the closest thing to Recettear I could find, but you don't manage a shop in Atelier games (at least not from Rorona onwards) and there's no haggling with customers or anything like that. What you get instead is a robust crafting system where you synthesize items out of ingredients you collect in dungeons (so similar to getting gear in dungeons and selling it in your shop in Recettear). And though you don't sell things to people directly, you do make items to fulfill the townspeople's requests and whatnot.

The other thing Atelier shares with Recettear is a general lighthearted tone and an emphasis on slice-of-life storytelling. It's not quite as punny as Recettear, especially the newer games (which settle for just being blandly nice most of the time), but they're breezy, relaxing games for the most part. Except for the time constraints, which some people find really stressful (again, echoes of Recettear's debt repayment deadlines), but generally are pretty loose.

I'd say if you're into Recettear, there's a decent chance you'll like Atelier Sophie as well.

Well, I just installed and tried it.

It made me log in, fine.

It asked me for the code sent to my email address, fine.

Then it said I needed an SMS-compatible phone. Soooooo....what the fuck is the point of that? I thought it was so you don't need one.

It needs an SMS compatible phone, not a smartphone. That's the point (and you will only use that phone once, afterwards everything will be done from your computer)

Wonder if I did the right thing...bought Quantum Break for $20 in the Steam Summer Sale....

GAF: should I regret this purchase? It has been on my wishlist for the longest time and the overall reviews seem highly positive on Steam....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wonder if I did the right thing...bought Quantum Break for $20 in the Steam Summer Sale....

GAF: should I regret this purchase? It has been on my wishlist for the longest time and the overall reviews seem highly positive on Steam....

If you bought it because you've a fondness for Remedy's blend of stylish action and cinematic storytelling, then you'll likely have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom