• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

Can I get some recommendations for good, fairly cheap RPGs. Any type is fine as they're good.

There's Highlands. A strategy RPG with gameplay similar to RISK. Hand-drawn art, good story, fun gameplay, and only $2 CDN.

Torchlight 2 is only $5. Great action RPG dungeon crawler with lots of loot.

If you bought it because you've a fondness for Remedy's blend of stylish action and cinematic storytelling, then you'll likely have fun.

Alan Wake is one of my most cherished games of all time. The visuals and the thrilling story telling with the most memorable character being Barry was just fantastic. One of the reasons why Quantum Break was in my wishlist.

Looks like I might enjoy it. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

So besides Hollow Knight, are there any other "I will post this every time someone asks for a recommendation" gems this sale?

Yea, It gets very emotional. When they get depressed and talk to each other "We can do it" and etc. With that fitting nice background music i often caught myself thinking "Don't give up" lol
It's one of the few games where killing someone actually feels wrong and a last resort

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alan Wake is one of my most cherished games of all time. The visuals and the thrilling story telling with the most memorable character being Barry was just fantastic. One of the reasons why Quantum Break was in my wishlist.

I'd recommend playing on Hard if you'll be using a kb&m. The combat encounters are great but the added precision the mouse offers does make them rather trivial. I used literally nothing but pistols (primarily the default) and time powers throughout the entire game.

Also, be warned that the closing boss fight is terrible. There were definitely a few times where I wished I was playing on Normal instead.

Ascheroth

So besides Hollow Knight, are there any other "I will post this every time someone asks for a recommendation" gems this sale?
Xanadu Next and
House in Fata Morgana (though the discount isn't that high)
for more recent releases

otherwise it's always the Ys games: Oath is 3€, Origin is 4€, that's a steal.
and Trails in the Sky, the first one in particular is only 8€, that's a steal too.

oipic

Sticker collection in jeopardy - crisis!

I take it today's 'get an achievement' quest was the second one of these? So those of us that hadn't unlocked an achievement between the first one of these (a few days ago), and today, may have missed a sticker pack?

(first world Steam sale problems, I know)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sticker collection in jeopardy - crisis!

I take it today's 'get an achievement' quest was the second one of these? So those of us that hadn't unlocked an achievement between the first one of these (a few days ago), and today, may have missed a sticker pack?

(first world Steam sale problems, I know)

Sticker packs aren't missable while the sale is active. If you unlock two achievements, you'll receive a pack for each one.

oipic

Sticker packs aren't missable while the sale is active. If you unlock two achievements, you'll receive a pack for each one.

Jase, as ever you're a source of soothing wisdom - thanks mate.

It would never have crossed my mind that Valve would have this covered (being so typically sloppy, as they are), but this makes sense - I happen to have only unlocked one achievement this week.

Pachimari

I haven't bought anything this summer sale. I will remain strong.

So here's to waiting till the winter sale when I will buy Assassin's Creed: Syncidate and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Lain

Already announced as Nights of Azure 2, coming October 24th

Will this one have a functioning mouse option to control the camera? Ah, who am I kidding, obviously not.

So I guess Sega of Japan thinks a Xbox One port of Valkyria Revolution will make them lotsa money while Persona 5 on PC won't

Makes sense

How do we stop players from taking screenshots and videos of our games? What, we can't? Fuck them, no Persona 5 on PC.

zkylon

zkylewd
bayo is such a cool game, bayonetta herself is such a great and likeable character, everyone in it is

combat is really satisfying too, i really dislike the combat in nier autotata and metal gear rising but i just love it here, so fast and those special get naked moves feel so chunky, it's great

i was sort of hoping they'd fix the score-ruining quick time events but what can you do

also game looks as drab as i remembered, kind of wish there was an enb mod for it that adds some color

Kind of? I got into the Atelier series because it was the closest thing to Recettear I could find, but you don't manage a shop in Atelier games (at least not from Rorona onwards) and there's no haggling with customers or anything like that. What you get instead is a robust crafting system where you synthesize items out of ingredients you collect in dungeons (so similar to getting gear in dungeons and selling it in your shop in Recettear). And though you don't sell things to people directly, you do make items to fulfill the townspeople's requests and whatnot.

The other thing Atelier shares with Recettear is a general lighthearted tone and an emphasis on slice-of-life storytelling. It's not quite as punny as Recettear, especially the newer games (which settle for just being blandly nice most of the time), but they're breezy, relaxing games for the most part. Except for the time constraints, which some people find really stressful (again, echoes of Recettear's debt repayment deadlines), but generally are pretty loose.

I'd say if you're into Recettear, there's a decent chance you'll like Atelier Sophie as well.

hm that's interesting

i'll probably buy one someday and try it out

i really like recettear, but my love for it is really tied to the writing so idk

Ascheroth

bayo is such a cool game, bayonetta herself is such a great and likeable character, everyone in it is

combat is really satisfying too, i really dislike the combat in nier autotata and metal gear rising but i just love it here, so fast and those special get naked moves feel so chunky, it's great

i was sort of hoping they'd fix the score-ruining quick time events but what can you do

also game looks as drab as i remembered, kind of wish there was an enb mod for it that adds some color
You can do that yourself with ReShade quite easily.

Mivey

Will this one have a functioning mouse option to control the camera? Ah, who am I kidding, obviously not.
Did it have a way of controlling the camera with the keyboard? (Sounds like a KT thing to do) Then you could use some mouse software (from Logitech, Razer and probably many other manufacturers as well), to output those key presses while moving the mouse in-game. "It's better than nothing"
EDIT:
Actually, no seems Razer doesn't do that, maybe Logitech then?

Kiraly

How is Ryse: Son of Rome? Saw it's only 5 bucks and would love to play a mindless, A spamming hack and slash God of War type of game. Is there anything comparable on PC? Even Dynasty Warriors or something like that, just zero brain activity required. An action RPG in the style of Ys but without the anime stuff and playable with controller would be good too, just mindless A spamming is practically what I am looking for.

derFeef

How is Ryse: Son of Rome? Saw it's only 5 bucks and would love to play a mindless, A spamming hack and slash God of War type of game. Is there anything comparable on PC? Even Dynasty Warriors or something like that, just zero brain activity required. An action RPG in the style of Ys but without the anime stuff and playable with controller would be good too, just mindless A spamming is practically what I am looking for.

It's not really mindless or spammy but I played it on the hardest difficulty, which I would recommend. I liked it throughout back then. It looks great, the atmosphere is spot on and I really liked the combat on that difficultya s well. 5 bucks is fantastic.

Kiraly

It's not really mindless or spammy but I played it on the hardest difficulty, which I would recommend. I liked it throughout back then. It looks great, the atmosphere is spot on and I really liked the combat on that difficultya s well. 5 bucks is fantastic.

Thanks a lot, I figure for 5 bucks it is a steal, regardless of what I think of it.

Tizoc

It's one of the few games where killing someone actually feels wrong and a last resort
Inferno climber is an interesting little souls-like game from japan
http://store.steampowered.com/app/433450/INFERNO_CLIMBER/

I dont recommend it as it is very repetitive
Inwould recommend killer is dead which attempts to add variety to its base gameplay system
Just use the steam community guide to have it run at 60 or 120 fps

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

Rebel Galaxy is the first thing that comes to mind for something like that, the upgrading and trading system is very straightforward.

And there are a couple of musous on Steam but they're pretty anime-y.

Ubisoft Farycry/Assassin's Creed/I guess Wildlands games are pretty straight forward in the same way.

There apparently isn't a musou tag but there is a Hack and Slash one. Shadow of Mordor seems like a good bet, the biggest criticism I've heard of it is that it gets too easy and mindless if you let it. Shadow Warrior is pretty good for going through lots of baddies, and it's part of a pretty good bundle.

One of the classics in this regard is Rune, which is set in a Viking-Fantasy setting. You could also try WH40K: Space Marine, but it also has a bit of (very satisfying) shooting.

Both are great games, where you can hack your enemies to pieces.

Eridani

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is about the closest you cant get to God of War on PC, although more in a "budget GoW clone" sense then in a "legit as good as GoW" one. It's also not on sale, but it's 5 bucks even without a sale.

Arthea

I decided to share my masterpiece with you

ss_2017mejd1.jpg

Bluth54

I love Alan Wake but I found myself very disappointed with Quantum Break. The combat was similar but a little bit better than Alan Wake (which was nice since the repetitive combat was one of my biggest issues with Wake) but I found the characters, story and world Remedy made for Quantum Break to be far less interesting than Alan Wake. I also found the live action episodes between chapters to be pretty boring and killed the pace of the game, in retrospect I should of just skipped them.

prudislav

Really? What's wrong with it? :(
Skeleton of a game compared to Toybox Turbos with much higher price
.... no Singleplayer mode apart from vs AI , no time trials, not even option to disable weapons .... only thing it has going for it is the Habsbro license and MP battle mode

Arthea

I'm still confused as hell, what the point of the stickers? Do you receive experience or anything when collecting everything ? :/

there is no point, aside of that you can display it on your profile, it's kinda nice for low level folks, as they can display it on their profile and it looks way less empty, other than that, no point.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Obviously when you get all the stickers they link you to the trailer for Half-Life 3, which turns out is a collaborative effort of every major game/series on Steam put into one giant collaborative crossover game.

Hektor

Obviously when you get all the stickers they link you to the trailer for Half-Life 3, which turns out is a collaborative effort of every major game/series on Steam put into one giant collaborative crossover game.

I'm honestly disappointed that crossover games are barely a thing outside of fighting games.

There are just some that would make a lot of sense like a Dante VS Bayonetta or a Tomb Raider X Uncharted came.

Tomasety

TsuXna

i suck at it tho. My characters are always hungry D:

PUBG is my most played game on steam now D:

Knurek

Durante, how pissed off you are at the news of Paradox buying Triumph?

Just imagine, Age of Wonders 4, now with 5000% more DLC.

FeArTriX

So far I've purchased:

• Hollow Knight
  • Dead Cells
  • ABZU
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Anyone have thoughts on the following?:

• Stories: Path of Destinies
  • Furi + DLC
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • A Story About My Uncle

I played Furi , it's a really challenging game if you're up to it + it's really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom