• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Steiner

Only bought 2 games so far; Hollow Knight & Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. Nothing else has really caught my attention for the price, that I don't already own.
Just finished playing Hollow Knight though, which has turned out to be one of my fav games of the year tbh.

Freeman76

All I've bought so far is The Room and American Truck Sim, I have £35 in my wallet and cannot find anything I really want to spend it on. The refund system is great news as I have spent it about 5 times now and regretted almost every purchase lol.

Ascheroth

All I've bought so far is The Room and American Truck Sim, I have £35 in my wallet and cannot find anything I really want to spend it on. The refund system is great news as I have spent it about 5 times now and regretted almost every purchase lol.
Hah! I have 40€ in my wallet (bought for 30€) and I've bought nothing during the sale yet.
Gonna use it for Cold Steel

Although I bought and played Dishonored on release, I forget the plot and dont even remember if I finished it. Can I play Dishonored 2 as a standalone or should I replay Dishonored 1 first?

hm that's interesting

i'll probably buy one someday and try it out

i really like recettear, but my love for it is really tied to the writing so idk

Ah, that's unfortunately one of the areas that may disappoint you, at least for Sophie. Carpe Fulgur and the original developers really did a bang-up job on Recettear. If you own a PS3 or Vita I'd recommend one of the Arland trilogy instead, but I doubt those will come to PC anytime soon.

Freeman76

Hah! I have 40€ in my wallet (bought for 30€) and I've bought nothing during the sale yet.
Gonna use it for Cold Steel

I have my eye on The Hunter: Call of the Wild

Looks good but dont know about the shitty DLC practice of charging for the 4X4

I'm torn and confused - do I play Ori or Hollow Knight first?

I would play Ori first (I just played both in the past 2 weeks), it is much shorter and once you play Hollow Knight it will be tough to right away go back to Ori as it is much less deep. Ori is amazing but its more of a platformer.

Zeknurn

I hoped the Age of Wonders 3 collection would be 12,49€ like the price mistake in February but it's not, so instead I'm playing Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

It seems to hold up well.

fantomena

This sale needs to end already, Im bored so I end up just buying more things. :(

I still need money for the shitload of games coming later this year.

Although I bought and played Dishonored on release, I forget the plot and dont even remember if I finished it. Can I play Dishonored 2 as a standalone or should I replay Dishonored 1 first?
Actually the most imortant story bits pertaining to Dishonored 2 are in the DLC for Dishonored 1, but no you don't really need to play it to get what's going on, especially if you play as Emily.

So far I bought:

- Borderless Gaming
- Hollow Knight
- Pinball Arcade Season Four Pro Pack
- Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
- Nex Machina

Missed out on Dead Cells sale outside of Steam. I hope that comes back.

WarRock

damn what a nostalgia trip
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/649600/Swords_and_Sandals_2_Redux_Maximus_Edition/

Cool story about how that happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8IMhVMVMGA
Duuuuuuuuuuuude. I know a lot of people that are going to be so happy seeing this.

The refund system is great news as I have spent it about 5 times now and regretted almost every purchase lol.

it really is. I bought $50 worth of games that were all on my wishlist, installed and played them all for a bit to get a feel of whether I'd enjoy them or not. Refunded two of them. I now have $25 sitting in my Steam Wallet and I can't find anything to buy now. I wouldnt be surprised if I end up refunding a couple more games.

Emerge looks cool and there is not a single person on my friends list that has it, that might be a first.

Maybe Atom Zombie Smasher? A bit of a long bow but...

Oh man, what a blast from the past. I completely forgot about it--I've actually had it for years.

I recall dropping it because of some terrifying bug related to AMD cards, which I had at the time.
Durante, how pissed off you are at the news of Paradox buying Triumph?

Just imagine, Age of Wonders 4, now with 5000% more DLC.

Wait, what?! Man... Paradox has gone full Lawful Evil so quickly.

I hope this brings out the best of Paradox--endless support--rather than their more recent, greedy & unscrupulous side. Triumph's a great studio and they deserve the best.

Endruen

[KoRp]Jazzman;242254638 said:
Anyone still have a PUBG 25% off voucher by chance? I have an extra steam copy of Half-life 2 and The Lost Coast I can trade for it.

I had a 27% one on Green Man Gaming, but it expired a week ago.

Kiraly

Rebel Galaxy is the first thing that comes to mind for something like that, the upgrading and trading system is very straightforward.

And there are a couple of musous on Steam but they're pretty anime-y.

Ubisoft Farycry/Assassin's Creed/I guess Wildlands games are pretty straight forward in the same way.

There apparently isn't a musou tag but there is a Hack and Slash one. Shadow of Mordor seems like a good bet, the biggest criticism I've heard of it is that it gets too easy and mindless if you let it. Shadow Warrior is pretty good for going through lots of baddies, and it's part of a pretty good bundle.

One of the classics in this regard is Rune, which is set in a Viking-Fantasy setting. You could also try WH40K: Space Marine, but it also has a bit of (very satisfying) shooting.

Both are great games, where you can hack your enemies to pieces.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is about the closest you cant get to God of War on PC, although more in a "budget GoW clone" sense then in a "legit as good as GoW" one. It's also not on sale, but it's 5 bucks even without a sale.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll be sure to take a look!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
[KoRp]Jazzman;242254638 said:
Anyone still have a PUBG 25% off voucher by chance? I have an extra steam copy of Half-life 2 and The Lost Coast I can trade for it.

I sent you a PM.

edit: all gone

OmarYusaf

What's a game that will get me the most value for my money?

FTL
Spelunky
Binding of Isaac
Broforce
N++
Crimsonland
Risk of Rain

And if you like that sort of hardcore multplayer shooters:

Insurgency - Has great co-op as well as competitive
Rising Storm 2 - Vietnam
Squad - As realistic as you can get while still being a "game"

StereoVsn

Wait, what?! Man... Paradox has gone full Lawful Evil so quickly.

I hope this brings out the best of Paradox--endless support--rather than their more recent, greedy & unscrupulous side. Triumph's a great studio and they deserve the best.
Man, that kind of sucks. I am tired of Paradox's DLC and pricing policies. I still have to pick up AoW3 last expansion so I will probably grab it on this sale even though it's not great for an older game, and that would be it.

It's too bad Obsidian is part of general Paradox fiascos.

StereoVsn

So besides Hollow Knight, are there any other "I will post this every time someone asks for a recommendation" gems this sale?

It's one of the few games where killing someone actually feels wrong and a last resort
Shadowrun Trilogy is only $10 and Dragonfall/Hong Kong are amazing RPGs with an awesome setting.

Mik2121

Man... this is one of the first sales where I haven't bought a single game. I just can't find anything interesting or cheap enough at all :/

Anno

It's too bad Obsidian is part of general Paradox fiascos.

Yeah I'm hoping that's over with going forward. I like Paradox more than most but it's pretty apparent that there's something of a tide turning against them in parts of the community.

FTL
Spelunky
Binding of Isaac

Broforce
N++
Crimsonland
Risk of Rain

And if you like that sort of hardcore multplayer shooters:

Insurgency - Has great co-op as well as competitive
Rising Storm 2 - Vietnam
Squad - As realistic as you can get while still being a "game"

You can spend hundreds of hours in the bolded alone. I spent 150+ hours in FTL, and I know a friend who has 300+ hours in Binding of Isaac. I have a dozen of so hours in Spelunky, but that can easily go up.

Don't forget to check or Dead Cells as well, or Mount & Blade Warband for excellent game time to price to ratio.

Wok

It has been a week since the sales started, so I have updated my automatic listing of hidden gems, and I have filtered out VR, Anime, Visual Novel, and Free To Play tags:

There are cutscenes in between levels that help recap the story from Dishonored 1. Sometimes the writing feel heavy handed as if the cutscenes do nothing else but recapping.

Mivey

You are being dishonored. Blah blah dark evil god, blah. Get super powers for free (possibly at the cost of you soul). You get your revenge and kill/non-terminally get rid of a couple of "important people". The end.
For the DLC: There be witches. They don't achieve anything.* The End.

* To be determined

You are being dishonored. Blah blah dark evil god, blah. Get super powers for free (possibly at the cost of you soul). You get your revenge and kill/non-terminally get rid of a couple of "important people". The end.
For the DLC: There be witches. They don't achieve anything.* The End.

* To be determined

ha, I do remember the game was fun though. That is what really matters.

low-G

I tried Castle Must Be Mine a few months ago, and I really don't get the interest.

I think it's a pretty poor tower defense, there's not much to it, except it's in VR. Defense Grid 2 is more engaging (in VR)...

Anyone explain?

Wok

I tried Castle Must Be Mine a few months ago, and I really don't get the interest.

I think it's a pretty poor tower defense, there's not much to it, except it's in VR. Defense Grid 2 is more engaging (in VR)...

Anyone explain?

Well, it has 150 reviews, among which 100% are positive ones. On top of that, it is a VR game, so its player base is small. In the end, it has the two features of a hidden gem.

Maybe a better approach would be to find out hidden gems given a tag/genre. I think someone pointed it out at some point after I published the ranking. The idea would be that the potential playerbase of each game sharing a same tag/genre would be comparable, so that it would make more sense to favor games with high ratings and small number of players among games sharing that tag/genre.

It has been a week since the sales started, so I have updated my automatic listing of hidden gems, and I have filtered out VR, Anime, Visual Novel, and Free To Play tags:

Ty is in my Top 10 favourite games of all time, and I can vouch for Wuppo - playing it at the moment and loving it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom