• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

At least it looked kinda cool for 2s... I only got through the first boss before I quit.

Yeah, get to the second to last dungeon in the game when the boss has 20 thousand HP and you're STILL doing 100-200 damage.

Persona 2's combat is good, though. The issues are the encounter rate, lack of difficulty, and awful card system.

I'm not saying its bad. I'm saying Xenosaga 2 just makes Persona 2 look like the pinnacle of combat in its genre, which was the DMC3 comparison and people saying P2's combat is bad clearly don't know what bad is.

Not sure how I feel about this blatant exposition dump theyre giving for Feis backstory.

I think ill do what I did with Eva and give my thoughts about this game as I play through it.

Also a jump button in a turn based rpg, didnt expect that.

The thing is, the Press turn System makes things legit worse in SMTIV because of the smirk System. Combined with no Defense and you legit will either get wrecked or blow through the game with little trouble after Medusa,

Honestly, as cool as the press turn system is I think its kind of... too good? Extra actions are by far the most powerful thing you can get in a turn-based game and press turns(and once more, which makes it even worse for a few reasons, the big one being the all out attack) makes it too easy. If you are smart and know what you are doing many combats become a joke and the ones that don't feel boring because the enemy just has no weakness and the cool thing about the system is useless and if you fuck up, you can get wiped out in a single turn because one of allies has a weakness the enemy can get too. Its one of the reasons I miss fusion spells(think CTs combo skills) because they are just fun to use and the game doesn't have any reason to make them unusable(as long as they don't make fusion spells that are too good and too easy to get... which is one of P2s problems admittedly, though I've avoided using the super op one in my current playthrough of P2:IS). PQ makes what I think is a nice compromise with the boosted status. Gives you an advantage(interestingly enough, slow characters get the most out of it, as well as low sp characters), but you an loss it as well(kinda random if they target a boosted person, but ehh, I'm not saying its perfect) and even keeps knock down from being ridiculous by making it not a guarantee just because you crit or hit a weakness.

I like having binds and Status elements from EO which a lot of games ignore, they are key features since they work even on bosses

Yeah, this is nice and kinda goes back to having cool features that don't become useless when you meet a boss. Some other stuff I like is the Link attacks and this one death chaser skill I've seen. When used everyone in that characters row who makes an attack causes the death chaser character to do a physical attack against any enemies they hit(its pretty cool watching Chie follow up a maragi by kicking a bunch of shadows in the face). It also comes with a ridiculous hp cost which limits who you can use it on unless you are good at keeping your boosted status.

...God I just love talking game design.

Xiraiya

UNS4 HD Trailer
Looks pretty good, I see they're using the same models again but just enhancing the visual effects, probably 1080p and 60 FPS since it's for current gen only.

I'm okay with this.

just finished episode 42 of Gintama
dammit why am i crying
this anime is gonna destroy me emotionally isnt it?
It will, again and again, but then it'll make you laugh before your tears dry, and get you hyped before you stop laughing.

360pages

Honestly, as cool as the press turn system is I think its kind of... too good? Extra actions are by far the most powerful thing you can get in a turn-based game and press turns(and once more, which makes it even worse for a few reasons, the big one being the all out attack) makes it too easy. If you are smart and know what you are doing many combats become a joke and the ones that don't feel boring because the enemy just has no weakness and the cool thing about the system is useless and if you fuck up, you can get wiped out in a single turn because one of allies has a weakness the enemy can get too. Its one of the reasons I miss fusion spells(think CTs combo skills) because they are just fun to use and the game doesn't have any reason to make them unusable(as long as they don't make fusion spells that are too good and too easy to get... which is one of P2s problems admittedly, though I've avoided using the super op one in my current playthrough of P2:IS). PQ makes what I think is a nice compromise with the boosted status. Gives you an advantage(interestingly enough, slow characters get the most out of it, as well as low sp characters), but you an loss it as well(kinda random if they target a boosted person, but ehh, I'm not saying its perfect) and even keeps knock down from being ridiculous by making it not a guarantee just because you crit or hit a weakness.

Yeah, this is nice and kinda goes back to having cool features that don't become useless when you meet a boss. Some other stuff I like is the Link attacks and this one death chaser skill I've seen. When used everyone in that characters row who makes an attack causes the death chaser character to do a physical attack against any enemies they hit(its pretty cool watching Chie follow up a maragi by kicking a bunch of shadows in the face). It also comes with a ridiculous hp cost which limits who you can use it on unless you are good at keeping your boosted status.

...God I just love talking game design.

Yeah, I legit think EO series has the best turn based battle system in recent games. Nothing feels too OP, and while people think the games are hard, I find them more anti-idiot. (Outside of 2 fuck that game)

The games expect you to know what you're doing and not rush. Learn what your team is good at and use it to your advantage. Playing them like a regular RPG is just asking for pain.

God damn, listening to the podcast and laughing is ruining my ability to play Monster Hunter.
Well then don't say it's bad. I don't think that Persona games have amazing combat, but I wouldn't say they are bad.
I didn't say that it was bad, just mediocre. It's decidedly average.
Well I'm off for the night. Sleep deprived and starting to feel ill.

Night~
Oh geez. Hope you can stay well or feel better.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You know, I enjoyed Liam's more indepth look at his top 10, and I also really enjoyed having his pros and cons on it.

Yeah, I legit think EO series has the best turn based battle system in recent games. Nothing feels too OP, and while people think the games are hard, I find them more anti-idiot. (Outside of 2 fuck that game)

The games expect you to know what you're doing and not rush. Learn what your team is good at and use it to your advantage. Playing them like a regular RPG is just asking for pain.

I haven't spent as much time with the EO games as I might like, there is some nice stuff there(like rows that matter beyond taking less damage and 5 man parties... yet another thing I felt was a loss in the move from P2 to P3), though there were a few things I seem to remember that I'm glad PQ skipped out on... I believe some of them involved you having a large number of characters who could all be multiple classes which they had to level separately? This wouldn't be so bad if it had job levels like fft, but I believe changing to a new class set you back to level one, so you'd have to grind back up. I could be way off as its been awhile, but while I don't mind a bit of grind(in fact I prefer the game to require some if only so I can try to do a game below the expected level), but I recall that being a bit much for me at the time(i might go back and try again, but I'll be stuck with the DS version.)

Liam is John Cena

joke.gif

I wish that J-Stars game was a traditional 2d fighter

I get they want to be more anime but I think makes the gameplay kind of weird.

Goku would simply destroy everyone.

I guess I can only imagine a fighting game where Dio beats the shit out of Naruto and takes Hinata for himself

Edit: I may or may not get Wonderful 101 at Frys tomorrow

360pages

I wish that J-Stars game was a traditional 2d fighter

I get they want to be more anime but I think makes the gameplay kind of weird.

Goku would simply destroy everyone.

I guess I can only imagine a fighting game where Dio beats the shit out of Naruto and takes Hinata for himself

Edit: I may or may not get Wonderful 101 at Frys tomorrow

Ultimate Stars has more characters and over all the better game.

Top Bottom