• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

oh man Christmas is literally next week

ChipmunksXmasSinging.jpg

It's the best anime show I've ever seen, but my opinion doesn't really mean much as I've only seen half a dozen shows or so.

That's a fine opinion to have. The thing about Gurren is that, compared to a lot of other mecha out there, its not really a mecha, which is why I say that its good if you only have a passing interest in mechs. The mechs are really only used to represent the growth of the characters in their coming of age story, which is why they
gradually grow in scale throughout the show, to represent the characters becoming more older and more mature as the show goes on.

So that's why when people call it the "greatest mecha ever" I kind of wonder if they really even understood what that show was really about. When people call it the greatest anime ever though, that's a lot more understandable, even if I'd disagree with you.

Man Lord Genome is a real dirtbag for abandoning his daughter and he sure loves spirals in his throne room. Even without lagann, Simon still tries to rescue her. Man Simon wants to be like Kamina. He shouldn't just stay in Kamina's shadow forever. He should be the one that will pierce the heavens just like Kamina said he would. Something Kamina never did.

Zenfalcia

I know I've posted this multiple times, but whatever. Last call for song ideas for bestGAF sings, maybe we'll have enough time to crank one out for the podcast... unlikely but we can still hope.

That's a fine opinion to have. The thing about Gurren is that, compared to a lot of other mecha out there, its not really a mecha, which is why I say that its good if you only have a passing interest in mechs. The mechs are really only used to represent the growth of the characters in their coming of age story, which is why they
gradually grow in scale throughout the show, to represent the characters becoming more older and more mature as the show goes on.

So that's why when people call it the "greatest mecha ever" I kind of wonder if they really even understood what that show was really about. When people call it the greatest anime ever though, that's a lot more understandable, even if I'd disagree with you.

It's not a mecha show. Neither was EVA, tbh. Both were just window dressing for character stories, which is the real appeal.

If you want mecha, watch Macross, Gundam, or mazinger(as recommended by our armored core guy,Arclight)

Did Trigger just not know how to make relaxed, "funny" episodes?
(UT don't read just to be sure).
They tried it once with episode 4, the episode was a disaster and poorly animated. They tried it again with episode 6, the episode was pointless and stupid. They tried it again with the first half of that beach episode and it was about grown men having a raging hard-on for a 12-year-old.
I love Kill La Kill's early Slice of Life/Fight of the Week episodes more than the crazy stuff.
Believe it!
i'm so winning this avatar bet.
Noooooooo

It's not a mecha show. Neither was EVA, tbh. Both were just window dressing for character stories, which is the real appeal.

If you want mecha, watch Macross, Gundam, or mazinger(as recommended by our armored core guy,Arclight)

Pretty much, though the first few episodes I've seen of Mazinger so far felt less like a mecha than Gundam did. But then again, I saw like three episodes and will get back to it after finals end.

Yeah, while I've never watched a mecha anime, I figured it didn't really fit into the genre for the exact reasons you specifically mention. But the use of these mechs as representation for character growth is perfectly fine for me as I have no particular love for the mechs aside from their representation and use to create sick action scenes, so I don't mind the lack of focus on the actual mechs.
And again, I've only watched a few shows, which is why I stated my opinion doesn't mean much. Out of FMA, FMA:B, Death Note, Madoka, KLK, Kenichi S1, Bit of Naruto and Bleach, Lucky Star, DBZ and Gurren Lagann, TTGL was by far my most favorite show. Half of the shows I've watched were shit, so there wasn't much standing in its way.
JoJo is a way higher priority, but I wonder what you'd think of EVA. My animelist was a lot like yours when I got around to watching it.

Yeah, while I've never watched a mecha anime, I figured it didn't really fit into the genre for the exact reasons you specifically mention. But the use of these mechs as representation for character growth is perfectly fine for me as I have no particular love for the mechs aside from their representation and use to create sick action scenes, so I don't mind the lack of focus on the actual mechs.
And again, I've only watched a few shows, which is why I stated my opinion doesn't mean much. Out of FMA, FMA:B, Death Note, Madoka, KLK, Kenichi S1, Bit of Naruto and Bleach, Lucky Star, DBZ and Gurren Lagann, TTGL was by far my most favorite show. Half of the shows I've watched were shit, so there wasn't much standing in its way.

Neither did I really, the show did such a good job at using mechs as a representation of character growth that I didn't mind at all the fact that they didn't go into the same depth as other mecha shows did. But then again, Gainax has had a lot of practice with Eva and FLCL doing the same things, so that's kind of to be expected of them.

Pretty much, though the first few episodes I've seen of Mazinger so far felt less like a mecha than Gundam did. But then again, I saw like three episodes and will get back to it after finals end.
It's Super Robot, which is a considerable difference from Real Robot which Gundam represents. Gurren Lagann very clearly falls under the Super Robot genre, but compared to the classics, it doesn't surpass those.

It's Super Robot, which is a considerable difference from Real Robot which Gundam represents. Gurren Lagann very clearly falls under the Super Robot genre, but compared to the classics, it doesn't surpass those.

Haven't seen the classics, so I have no opinion of that. As someone who loves the mecha genre as a whole, I still have a lot to go through (and not much time to do it unfortunately) before I can start making any kind of opinion.

Zenfalcia

What do you have so far?

4 suggested songs. Some people are suggesting non christmas songs, which i can add... :l

I can add christmas staples to pad out the choices.
Noooooooo

It's fine! I'll make a few when I have some time, so even if it does happen, i can use them for myself later.
My suggestion better be in there.

Oh it is.
I guess I can't post outside of this thread till January.

You can, no worries, It'll be finnee!

There were some crazy stuff that blew my mind 2/3rd through the show tho.
My opinion of the show got soured during the
five Elite Four fight episodes that really dragged on
, watching week to week. Some later episodes are amazing, 18 is likely the best in the series, but I can't shake this feeling it loses its way.

Someday I need to rewatch the show to get a handle on why I feel this way.

I'm curious, what would constitute depth exactly?

The costs of making a mech and each of the parts and what exactly they do. Using serial number like names to describe them. What the mechs can and can't do and the different models that allow for that stuff. Describing how the UI allows a pilot to interact with a mecha and how long before the pilot can get the hang of it by running through simulators. The kind of weapons compatable with a certain mecha and the funds necessary to replace the parts. The politics behind each country making their own mecha and how they can't create something out of the bounds of the "rules" (kind of like the nuclear missle law that all the countries follow)

Basically, the boring stuff behind how a mech actually works and what it requires to pilot one. IE the boring stuff that non mecha fans would probably dislike, but I personally love.

All these anime conversations made me realize that everytime I think of watching an anime, I end up watching an American tv show instead.

I need to force myself to start Monster soon, as right now I'm completely disillusioned with anime.

All these anime conversations made me realize that everytime I think of watching an anime, I end up watching an American tv show instead.

I'm the opposite. Every time I try to watch an American show I just watch anime. Walking Dead is impossibly boring so I just stop watching every time I try and switch over to some random anime.

Even Breaking Bad, which I loved, was hard to get through because it's not anime.

Zenfalcia

I need to force myself to start Monster soon, as right now I'm completely disillusioned with anime.

Disillusioned for what reason? Is it due to the really weird or the moe/kawaii stuff?

I'm the opposite. Every time I try to watch an American show I just watch anime. Walking Dead is impossibly boring so I just stop watching every time I try and switch over to some random anime.

Even Breaking Bad, which I loved, was hard to get through because it's not anime.

I'm the same way anymore. Breaking Bad was an exception for me but every time I've tried to sit down and watch something like American Horror Story I just lose all interest and start watching an anime.

To think, this is what fate could have been if they decided to make Shirou into a girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0p90Z9qHg

(This was his original idea, but VNs staring Female leads sold poorly, so they decided to gender flip the main characters. Along with the prototype Rin having Lancer as her servant)

That's probably why HA had a female protagonist and Extra even allowed for a female protagonist. The series was popular enough that they could do that now.

The costs of making a mech and each of the parts and what exactly they do. Using serial number like names to describe them. What the mechs can and can't do and the different models that allow for that stuff. Describing how the UI allows a pilot to interact with a mecha and how long before the pilot can get the hang of it by running through simulators. The kind of weapons compatable with a certain mecha and the funds necessary to replace the parts. The politics behind each country making their own mecha and how they can't create something out of the bounds of the "rules" (kind of like the nuclear missle law that all the countries follow)

Basically, the boring stuff behind how a mech actually works and what it requires to pilot one. IE the boring stuff that non mecha fans would probably dislike, but I personally love.
I don't even like Mecha, but I would love something like that.

In your mind, perhaps, though that's a shame. You're right about those sections dragging on a bit too long and I get the feeling the show is trying incredibly hard to be the best it can be, but constantly missing that final step to make it happen. Regardless, I still enjoyed the show and the ending to episode
elevated my enjoyment of the show and a certain character (from boring to awesome) quite a bit.
I'd predicted 17 since I was watching week to week and had time to think about it. And my complaints are about a show I'd still say is an "8/10 definitely watch this"

Zenfalcia

For people who care: Here's the current choices for Bestgaf sings.
Carol of the bells
Merry Christmas - Sailormoon Christmas
TBF theme song but with christmas green green song
Nightmare before christmas - What's this?

Kindred spirits, my friend. Getting myself to start an anime is so hard, because every time I allot some time for it, I need up ignoring it for something either made by the West, or sports.

I can see the appeal quite well actually, though I'm not sure whether I'd love it or hate it. It could go either way.

It is definitely a love it or hate it thing, but it doesn't really happen much or in long strings of time. Like I don't remember the last time I saw an episode of anime that was just only talking about how a mech works or just political talk. Probably ghost in the shell is the only one that can get away with something like that.

I don't even like Mecha, but I would love something like that.

Its weird isn't it? Like I don't like politics, but I love that boring politcal jargon that happens in stuff like Metal Gear or Ghost in the Shell. I mean, probably because its a lot more interesting in those universes than it is in real life, but its still pretty boring to people who don't care for that stuff at all.

That type of stuff would be hard to have explained naturally in a mecha anime, even for real robot shows where that stuff would make sense (super robots are out of the question, as none of that shit is supposed to make any practical sense). Armored Trooper VOTOMs is the realest a real robot series has been, and that show always showed the specific aspects of the mech in action without putting aside a few minutes to explain in detail what that robot does, and I'd rather have that so it doesn't break up the action constantly. Save it for a technical manual.

Top Bottom