• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

That type of stuff would be hard to have explained naturally in a mecha anime, even for real robot shows where that stuff would make sense (super robots are out of the question, as none of that shit is supposed to make any practical sense). Armored Trooper VOTOMs is the realest a real robot series has been, and that show always showed the specific aspects of the mech in action without putting aside a few minutes to explain in detail what that robot does, and I'd rather have that so it doesn't break up the action constantly. Save it for a technical manual.

Which is what's annoying. Like we've seen plenty of shows that's mostly about the mecha action, but I'd love to see like a 12 episode anime series that just explains how all that kind of stuff can really work, and the huge amount of costs to build it and where they'd get the money from and all that political bullshit that comes with it, with the occasional action scene thrown in to mix it up a little so it doesn't get too boring.

Basically, a show that's more about the mech itself than the characters or the plot. It could work with a good enough writer.

I don't even think Kamina would fall for an obvious trap like that. Aw man theat Genome guy is a real scumbag for throwing out people who tries to find out their purpose in life. Simon finally sees what Kamina tries to tell him and it's even greater than what I imagined. Kamina lives on as a symbol in the Dai-Gurren flag and as morals that Simon gained from being with him was absolutely perfect.

croten

I don't even think Kamina would fall for an obvious trap like that. Aw man theat Genome guy is a real scumbag for throwing out people who tries to find out their purpose in life. Simon finally sees what Kamina tries to tell him and it's even greater than what I imagined. Kamina lives on as a symbol in the Dai-Gurren flag and as morals that Simon gained from being with him was absolutely perfect.

[insert avatar here]

Guys, I'm doing something I've never done before and I understand why everyone does it. I'm drinking while watching this payperview. It makes every part of wrestling better!

Zenfalcia

The Demi Lavato cover of Wonderful Christmas time, because that's the asshole thing to sing.

Added.
The bet between me, goodwill and zen

Me and missus bull made an avatar net with Zenfalcia. We bet that the Top 10s are coming before the year ends.

Both of those are cute, but I only want to do the latter.

I wonder who's going to win? :^)

It'd be hard to sing, but meh.
Robotics Notes isn't exactly what you want, but it does some of that stuff. It's not great but is a lot about mecha construction.

Woof.. Robot;Notes really ruined itself when it took itself super serious.. Like the last half was uncalled for and imo should've stayed
with all about making robots.

Guys, I'm doing something I've never done before and I understand why everyone does it. I'm drinking while watching this payperview. It makes every part of wrestling better!

It's a fun drinking game to take a shot whenever they mention what is trending on Twitter or whenever they mention or advertise the app.

Woof.. Robot;Notes really ruined itself when it took itself super serious.. Like the last half was uncalled for and imo should've stayed
with all about making robots.

Yeah... Yeah... Still a fun concept.

It's a fun drinking game to take a shot whenever they mention what is trending on Twitter or whenever they mention or advertise the app.

Down your drink when they shill the network must be added to this.

Two things:
- I watched it back to back and I still somewhat predicted the event as well. However, it was more a case of
"Why does everyone love this boring fucking character so much? When is something noteworthy going to happen and when is she going to stop being a shit? Ragyo seems like a main villain, so is she going to switch sides?"
, but I still loved it when it happened.
- After Gurren Lagann, I noticed that thinking about Trigger shows seemed like a bad idea. They take a standard idea and make it fucking awesome, but it's easier to predict events because of it, which might take the fun out of certain things. That's why, when starting KLK, I decided to avoid thinking further than the current and previous episodes I was watching in order to still make turns and twists enjoyable. Didn't work entirely, but still, I prefer to feel, not think when it comes to their shows.

I should probably watch KLK before I keep clicking more spoilers, but I've already gone this far down the hole so oh well

360pages

I would probably push Freedom Planet more, but I don't think a lot of you are into platformers enough. It's only 15 dollars on steam and it's a great game that throws back to a lot of fast paced action games.

If Shovel knight is the perfected Megaman gameplay, then Freedom Wars is that too Sonic.

I'm the opposite. Every time I try to watch an American show I just watch anime. Walking Dead is impossibly boring so I just stop watching every time I try and switch over to some random anime.

Even Breaking Bad, which I loved, was hard to get through because it's not anime.

Walking Dead S4 was pretty great for me, barring a couple bad parts. S5 seems to be on a good path (only seen the 1st ep)
Breaking Bad I rewatched a couple times, I love it aswell.
I'm on Sons of Anarchy right now, which had a fantastic first season, but apparently turns into garbage later, so that'll be fun.

Disillusioned for what reason? Is it due to the really weird or the moe/kawaii stuff?

None of them appeal to me, the last one being HxH and that ended until the manga goes forward, so like another 10 years.
Moe/kawaii/comedy/fanservice is not for me at all, but I'm used to that from the last decade. I guess HxH and AoT being stopped for their mangas left me without anything. But I much rather them delay the animes, instead of making their own content as Game of Thrones hurt quite a bit in that regard.
It does let me catch up with all the anime I missed in the past, like Monster, but it's just disappointing seeing that pretty much all the seasonal anime is to the opposite of my tastes.

But that Animator Expo thing has been fantastic. That's definitely giving me hope for the future.

I would probably push Freedom Planet more, but I don't think a lot of you are into platformers enough. It's only 15 dollars on steam and it's a great game that throws back to a lot of fast paced action games.

If Shovel knight is the perfected Megaman gameplay, then Freedom Wars is that too Sonic.

Oh, actually, I think my friend and I were looking at this a week or so ago. It looks cool, but I'm not a huge fan of Sonic gameplay anymore. I'm honestly not even into Megaman gameplay that isn't X anymore.

I totally forgot about that. Good idea <3

Or even better down your current drink when they shill the network then when they mention Twitter or the app you have to do a shot of a different liquor each time.

4PVHvRf.gif

Zenfalcia

None of them appeal to me, the last one being HxH and that ended until the manga goes forward, so like another 10 years.
Moe/kawaii/comedy/fanservice is not for me at all, but I'm used to that from the last decade. I guess HxH and AoT being stopped for their mangas left me without anything. But I much rather them delay the animes, instead of making their own content as Game of Thrones hurt quite a bit in that regard.
It does let me catch up with all the anime I missed in the past, like Monster, but it's just disappointing seeing that pretty much all the seasonal anime is to the opposite of my tastes.

But that Animator Expo thing has been fantastic. That's definitely giving me hope for the future.

You just need to look for those specific animes that suit your tastes within each season, there's bound to be a few, or wait for people to recommend ones that you might like from each season.

There are a few you might like that you missed. I'd name something like psycho-pass, but I don't know if you've already watched it already.

- After Gurren Lagann, I noticed that thinking about Trigger shows seemed like a bad idea. They take a standard idea and make it fucking awesome, but it's easier to predict events because of it, which might take the fun out of certain things. That's why, when starting KLK, I decided to avoid thinking further than the current and previous episodes I was watching in order to still make turns and twists enjoyable. Didn't work entirely, but still, I prefer to feel, not think when it comes to their shows.
It's definitely a show that works best if you watch it with your heart over your head, but obviously every comparison of KLK and TTGL has much to be desired in the former.

Also, I don't think anything else Trigger has done comes close to either of the shows in tone.

Also everyone watch Little Witch Academia, that shit is RADICAL.

Have you watched Ping Pong or Madoka?
Or the anime of forever Kuroko no Basket?

360pages

Evil Within video, not five minutes now, and the game is already fucking up.

This fucking game.

It had to be rushed, it looks like it need at least 3 more months. (At minmum) for things to be ironed out. From both a Gameplay and technical level it's worse than RE4. I will give some enemy designs and story over RE4 though, unless it just shits the bed in these last two chapters.

True, but KLK does have a bit more going than just hype build-up and escalation, so maybe watching it with just your heart can have its small disadvantages. Hell, for some reason
some say say Ryuko's is a revenge story, even when it clearly isn't, so I guess there's something to think about?
It's her motivation from the very start of the show. "I GOTTA FIND OUT WHO KILLED MY DAD" is in Before My Body is dry, she constantly shouts the question at Satsuki early on, and she gets extremely upset at Nui at the suggestion that it was her.

It's not what the character's story arc is, there's more, but you can see why it's misconstrued.
I know it's a stand, but it should be "MENACING" kanji.
HOLY SHIT

Top Bottom