• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts R |OT| With Our Vitas Combined

-Stranger-

Nice! I love the Tales series.
Also I might finally get some use out of my VITA.
It's mostly been sitting here collecting dust this year.

So, will someone who enjoyed Xillia 1&2 and thought they had a pretty decent cast of characters and story like this one? Bear in my mind that I have zero patience for stupid anime kids which is why I avoided Graces like the plague.

Is it native resolution?

I think so? It looks like it to me.

So, will someone who enjoyed Xillia 1&2 and thought they had a pretty decent cast of characters and story like this one? Bear in my mind that I have zero patience for stupid anime kids which is why I avoided Graces like the plague.

I'm still early on in the game, but the protagonist so far seems like he's the kind of character you wouldn't like. He's kind of dumb, easily excitable, etc.

Got about three hours in.

I'm finding the localization to be just fine. The characters are fine, if a bit one note. Battle strategy options are much appreciated. All of the Tales games could really use those options. The soma system is not bad either so far. Really digging having a world map and enjoying the Symphonia-esque cooking and wonder cook.

Controls and combat though. So wooden. Abyss 3DS felt so good to play but I feel like this game wants to fight against me in combat.

namDa65

Got about three hours in.

I'm finding the localization to be just fine. The characters are fine, if a bit one note. Battle strategy options are much appreciated. All of the Tales games could really use those options. The soma system is not bad either so far. Really digging having a world map and enjoying the Symphonia-esque cooking and wonder cook.

Controls and combat though. So wooden. Abyss 3DS felt so good to play but I feel like this game wants to fight against me in combat.

Interesting observation about the controls. I don't think the controls are that bad once you get the hang of it.

Seda

Personally, I thought the combat felt somewhat stale the whole way through. Not dysfunctional or broken, just serviceable for a Vita title.

I've encountered a bug. When I put it in sleep mode and return the inputs no longer work. I have to close out the game and restart.
Edit: If you let it rest again for a few minutes it will restore.

About two hours in. Enjoying the game quite a bit. I like the graphical style and animations so far. The game feels very similar to Tales of Eternia

Way too early to judge the battle system and for me a battle system can make or break a Tales game.

I'm coming off all 3 PS3 games so this old fashioned Tales feel is much appreciated!

khaaan

Played a little bit last night.

I know Tales games tend to keep it light hearted but this one feels even more so than others, or it might be because I'm just coming off of Xillia. It's a nice change though, the main characters dorkiness is kind of fun. It also didn't take very long for me to get over the intro song, I actually kind of like it. My only complaint so far is that the animation in the beginning wasn't widescreen but then the part where you first get your Soma is in wide screen.

Bladenic

I'm sure this was discussed way back when the game came out, but some of these male characters have some reallyyyyyyyy thin waists. Geez.

Welcome to most Inomata designs.

And yeah the combat isn't the most fluid system around. I say 7th Cord did an admirable job but they're no usual Tales team that's for sure.

Xenus

I think so? It looks like it to me.

I'm still early on in the game, but the protagonist so far seems like he's the kind of character you wouldn't like. He's kind of dumb, easily excitable, etc.

Well that sounds like most Tales leads. I think the biggest issue with Asbel was the but but friendship...

Well that sounds like most Tales leads. I think the biggest issue with Asbel was the but but friendship...

Yeah, it's definitey very common with Tales games. I figured it was worth mentioning though since they said they liked Xillia, and Kor is pretty different from Jude/Milla.
Not that I mind too much, Kor is quite refreshing coming off of ToX2.

Xenus

Yeah, it's definitey very common with Tales games. I figured it was worth mentioning though since they said they liked Xillia, and Kor is pretty different from Jude/Milla.
Not that I mind too much, Kor is quite refreshing coming off of ToX2.

And speaking of this game it just arrived. Nice shipping for ordering 11:59pm 11/9.Also got a pre-order code sweet.

zferolie

Neo Member
GOnna be picking this up today. I love the tales series even if I am behind a bit (Still need to finish Graces and Xillia and then start Xillia 2). I hope the decide to bring over more of the series...

Speaking of series.,... Any word on that fan translation of Vesperia Ps3? I loved the 360 and wanna play that one to get the expanded story and Patty... Wish they would offically bring that over.

Hikami

Damn it.. my game doesn't get here til the 18th (damn you bamco store) and I think I just had the ending spoiled for me already.
sigh
feel like cancelling my order now

khaaan

Gamestop can print out another code for you if the person is there nice enough. Worth a try.

Wait, really?

I went to Gamestop yesterday to buy a physical version and I asked if I would get the pre-order DLC even though I didn't pre-order it. The guy asked me if I pre-ordered and I said I didn't, and he told me he couldn't just create extra codes because digital and not a voucher in the box or something along those lines. I didn't blame him or anything, not his fault I didn't pre-order....but I did walk out for the digital version since it saved me $10, I already had money sitting in my PSN account from a deal earlier in the year AND I got the DLC costumes this way.

Sorry if this has been asked over and over, but when I get the pre-order costumes? I see the option to change costumes but I don't have any but the default one.

Holmes

This game is... so fun! I'm really enjoying it. I'm about 8 hours in. I got over the weird name changes, so it doesn't bug me anymore. The battle system is fun, but it's true that sometimes it works against you. I feel like I'm going to have to grind to get some combat trophies... enemies seem to die before I can guard counter or cross chase them. :\

Rhapsody

Banned
Wait, really?

I went to Gamestop yesterday to buy a physical version and I asked if I would get the pre-order DLC even though I didn't pre-order it. The guy asked me if I pre-ordered and I said I didn't, and he told me he couldn't just create extra codes because digital and not a voucher in the box or something along those lines. I didn't blame him or anything, not his fault I didn't pre-order....but I did walk out for the digital version since it saved me $10, I already had money sitting in my PSN account from a deal earlier in the year AND I got the DLC costumes this way.

There's a separate thing in the system that they can bring up and print a new code. Usually this is for instances when a customer says something along the lines of their code not working, etc. I know this from working there in the past. My store did actually give out preorder codes post release if people would preorder a different game in that transaction.

But yeah, they can print out a code if they're nice enough (not that they're obligated to).

I've gotten mostly used to it, but some of the translation choices are indeed a little weird. Without the JPN voices in the background, they'd be fine. It's only a little bothersome since I can quite literally hear the liberties they take with some sections of dialogue.

But still enjoying it!

Holmes

I've gotten mostly used to it, but some of the translation choices are indeed a little weird. Without the JPN voices in the background, they'd be fine. It's only a little bothersome since I can quite literally hear the liberties they take with some sections of dialogue.

But still enjoying it!
Yeah, this bugs me everytime I play a game with Japanese voice over. I understand why they do it most of the time, but it is annoying sometimes. I remember Dawn of the New World with the Japanese voice over, and sometimes whole lines of dialogue were just ignored in the translation... a character would say something in Japanese and there would be no corresponding English text to accompany what they said,

MSMrRound

B2SNXl0CMAE_0BQ.jpg

R3 (Asian) copies of Tales of Hearts R seems to have

Voice: English
Subtitle: English etc written on them.

Is anyone playing the Asian English edition of Tales of Hearts R right now? Can anyone confirm if the voices are in Japanese or is it just a misprint?

R3 (Asian) copies of Tales of Hearts R seems to have

Voice: English
Subtitle: English etc written on them.

Is anyone playing the Asian English edition of Tales of Hearts R right now? Can anyone confirm if the voices are in Japanese or is it just a misprint?

IIRC someone earlier in this thread reported it was a misprint.

Top Bottom