• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Mr. Sam said:
Space dingo'll eat your space baby - that's how!

I think half the reason I find the Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ Abridged series so funny is because I used to watch them and I just like having all the stupid stuff pointed out and reliving the cool stuff.
So you are saying you have never seen yu yu hakusho?

1stStrike

Banned
lol Vegeta is still the best.

"The dragonball's right there!"

"I'm not here for the dragonball. Spread 'em."

I lost it at that part :lol

TreIII

I love how they made Ginyu sound more like he did in the earliest DBZ dub (Bandai), where he sounded so much more "proper". :lol

But nothing beats that "SCREAM HEARD THROUGHOUT TIME AND SPACE" last episode. Between Vegeta and "409!!!!" Freiza, they make this show. :lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Rorschach said:
:lol That time stop part dragged on for ages in the regular show IIRC. I remember hating it so.

Yeah, so glad they skipped it. Dude froze em then starts molesting them, then tries to kill them with a tree............. was fucking retarded.

Calcaneus

I guess it helps that this is the point where Vegeta gets to shine the most in the series, but man he's easily the best character on abridged.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Calcaneus said:
I guess it helps that this is the point where Vegeta gets to shine the most in the series, but man he's easily the best character on abridged.

The thing is that the VA sounds a lot like one of the dubs VA's :lol

Cheerilee

1stStrike said:
Wow, they removed TFS 19 from youtube over a copyright claim. Wtf.
They probably came too close with that "Team Three Star" reference. Team Four Star sued them for infringement.

Amakusa

Nail, why is there an albino Namekian standing next to you? Kill it like the rest. :lol

^^

Very Dark... lost my mind laughing so hard :D

Sirius

Raditiz: aha .. attacking an enemy roughly 4x your strength on a 1-on-1 battle. A cunning strategy.

....No ... no no not cunning.. What's the opposite of that?

Picollo: ..retarded?!..

Raditz: That's it! Thank you..

:lol :lol :lol
Goddamn it this is brilliant.

i'm so glad this thread popped up, i saw season 1 back when the thread was first around, and just caught up on season 2. oh man, some of the lines are AMAZING!

Ryck

DAMN YOU PAVLOV!

...was my favorite, wish they hadn't tried to explain it, it was awesome prior to that.

Slayer-33 said:
The thing is that the VA sounds a lot like one of the dubs VA's :lol
the vegeta voice actor is also the one who does yu yu hakusho abriged and his yusuke's voice is pretty damn spot on too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think "and the cargo was PEOPLE!" is still my favorite line in this series. It's also one of those things that you can only truly appreciate if you were present for all the internet nerd-rage regarding censorship in the original dub back in the day.

Namek is ace so far.

Kurtofan

Sixfortyfive said:
I think "and the cargo was PEOPLE!" is still my favorite line in this series. It's also one of those things that you can only truly appreciate if you were present for all the internet nerd-rage regarding censorship in the original dub back in the day.
Dragon Ball is that recent in the US?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kurtofan said:
Dragon Ball is that recent in the US?
IIRC:

- Original Dragon Ball English dub began around 1995, was quickly canceled.
- Funimation skipped straight to DBZ the following year or so, did two seasons (spanning everything up to the point where Goku lands on Namek), still didn't do so hot ratings wise, got canceled again.
- Existing DBZ eps get rerun on Cartoon Network repeatedly, gradually gaining a larger fanbase and prompting production of new episodes in 1999 or so, when the show finally explodes in popularity in the US.

The first two seasons were on network television and were edited pretty heavily to avoid trouble with the FCC. Nobody dies, they just get zapped to "an alternate dimension." It's not HELL, it's HFIL (Home For Infinite Losers :lol). Nappa annihilates an air force fleet? "It's okay, I can see their parachutes!" Fanservice and alcohol scrubbed out entirely, etc and so forth. Cue thousands of teenagers whining that the integrity of the show is being entirely compromised.

There's a handful of references to this sort of stuff in Abridged, like "Now it's beer!" and "The cargo was people!"

Azure J

Sixfortyfive said:

Namek is ace so far.

For all the love we're giving Vegeta in this season, Frieza is just laser focused when it comes to line delivery. :lol

As for the rest, I don't even equate net rage to the many changes in the series as much as I remember heated arguments between the classmates of mine in elementary school who were exposed to it via the 5:00/5:30AM block they had on (then) WB11 or on Toonami versus the older classmates or that one snobby kid and pals who "watched it from the source" (whatever that meant to 10 - 11 year olds at the time) and bellyached anytime someone mentioned the "other dimension" line. :lol :lol :lol

I still think Yu-gi-Oh is twice as funny as this.

These abridged series have NO comedy value if you haven't seen the original, though.

Celsior

vas_a_morir said:

These abridged series have NO comedy value if you haven't seen the original, though.
true, early yugioh abridged is still untouched, it fell after the Pegasus saga because he stopped making fun of the stupidness of yugioh and started to do his own story lines, and he started having other people do voices. DBZ abridged is better then current yugioh abridged though.

jman2050

Celsior said:
true, early yugioh abridged is still untouched, it fell after the Pegasus saga because he stopped making fun of the stupidness of yugioh and started to do his own story lines, and he started having other people do voices. DBZ abridged is better then current yugioh abridged though.

The PENGUINS dude is basically carrying Yugioh Abridged right now, and doing quite a good job at it. No coincidence it's the same dude who voiced Nappa :p

KevinCow

Banned
vas_a_morir said:

I wouldn't agree with NO comedy value. I've never watched Yu-gi-oh and I thought its abridged series was funny as hell, even though I'm sure I missed out on a lot of jokes.

I get what you're saying, though. I think DBZ Abridged is several times as funny to me since I'm familiar with its source material.

Hitokage said:
I've never seen Gantz and its abridged series was amusing enough.

That show fell super super hard. The first 5 episodes or so of that abridged series are as good as any made. I'm waiting for that killer abridged series that blows everything out of the water, instead of just simpson/futurama references.

Calcaneus

vas_a_morir said:

I can't imagine Space Australia being as funny if you have no familiarity with Jeice's English voice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
vas_a_morir said:
That show fell super super hard. The first 5 episodes or so of that abridged series are as good as any made. I'm waiting for that killer abridged series that blows everything out of the water, instead of just simpson/futurama references.
Maybe you just have no soul.

Hitokage said:
Maybe you just have no soul.

I think you misunderstand, brotha. I like DBZ abridged. Just, Yu-Gi-Oh:TS has a more consistent writing tone. There are no characters that just make you cringe in that show, unlike DBZ:TAS with Krillin and Goku.

I believe part of the sign up process for neogaf involves trading in your soul

Just for the GAF-gold account.

Cheerilee

Sixfortyfive said:
IIRC:

- Original Dragon Ball English dub began around 1995, was quickly canceled.
- Funimation skipped straight to DBZ the following year or so, did two seasons (spanning everything up to the point where Goku lands on Namek), still didn't do so hot ratings wise, got canceled again.
- Existing DBZ eps get rerun on Cartoon Network repeatedly, gradually gaining a larger fanbase and prompting production of new episodes in 1999 or so, when the show finally explodes in popularity in the US.

The first two seasons were on network television and were edited pretty heavily to avoid trouble with the FCC. Nobody dies, they just get zapped to "an alternate dimension." It's not HELL, it's HFIL (Home For Infinite Losers :lol). Nappa annihilates an air force fleet? "It's okay, I can see their parachutes!" Fanservice and alcohol scrubbed out entirely, etc and so forth. Cue thousands of teenagers whining that the integrity of the show is being entirely compromised.

There's a handful of references to this sort of stuff in Abridged, like "Now it's beer!" and "The cargo was people!"
I think that calling it nerd rage isn't quite appropriate, because nerd rage implies that the offense was insignificant/nonexistent to anyone who isn't a nerd, and early DBZ might actually be one of the most censored productions in motion picture history. And censorship really does compromise artistic integrity. The nerds had some solid ground to stand on. I think DBZ's "nerd rage" battles on the internet were more a case of exaggerated angst vs exaggerated not caring.

And I don't think you needed to witness or participate in those fights to fully appreciate the jokes, you just needed to experience early DBZ, and be aware of the censorship levels (either you recognized them at the time, or you found out about them later).

Ryck

vas_a_morir said:
I think you misunderstand, brotha. I like DBZ abridged. Just, Yu-Gi-Oh:TS has a more consistent writing tone. There are no characters that just make you cringe in that show, unlike DBZ:TAS with Krillin and Goku.
What Krillin is awesome...

Krillin: (Crying)"The first rule of Popo's training, is you don't talk about Popo's training"

Krillin:"Quack, quack" *Krillin flies in and grabs Dende*

Freeza:"what the hell was that?"

Zarbon:" I believe that was the space duck"

That "Do not talk about popo's training" line is what I'm talking about. It is an uninspired reference that takes way too long to develop. You get it within 1 second, but it goes on for like 10 seconds sometimes.

Ryck

vas_a_morir said:
That "Do not talk about popo's training" line is what I'm talking about. It is an uninspired reference that takes way too long to develop. You get it within 1 second, but it goes on for like 10 seconds sometimes.
Yeah he didn't have to say it more than once. Still thought it was funny though.

Top Bottom