• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I like Abridged Goku & Krillin. Especially the latter, as he's blatantly treated like the comic relief / punching bag character he ended up being anyway.

ruby_onix said:
I think that calling it nerd rage isn't quite appropriate, because nerd rage implies that the offense was insignificant/nonexistent to anyone who isn't a nerd, and early DBZ might actually be one of the most censored productions in motion picture history. And censorship really does compromise artistic integrity. The nerds had some solid ground to stand on. I think DBZ's "nerd rage" battles on the internet were more a case of exaggerated angst vs exaggerated not caring.

And I don't think you needed to witness or participate in those fights to fully appreciate the jokes, you just needed to experience early DBZ, and be aware of the censorship levels (either you recognized them at the time, or you found out about them later).
Yeah, but there was a difference between caring about and making fun of early DBZ censorship (editing out Gohan's tears, really?) and the kind of stuff I remember. Like that one review of the early season 3 eps where said reviewer goes into a fit of rage and throws both VHS tapes into his basement, "the second one still in its shrinkwrap! Take that, Funimation!" Exaggerated is a pretty good word for it. That sentiment was super common, too.

1stStrike

Banned
jman2050 said:
I can forgive Goku's shortcomings because the EEEEEEEEEEEEE conversation was brilliant.

I love the space ship part. And then the muffin.

Also, the hospital when Mr. Popo comes in and goku starts freaking out and foaming at the mouth... :lol

vas_a_morir said:
I still think Yu-gi-Oh is twice as funny as this.

These abridged series have NO comedy value if you haven't seen the original, though.

That's not true at all. My girlfriend hasn't seen any DBZ, but she thinks these are funny.

Shouta

vas_a_morir said:
That "Do not talk about popo's training" line is what I'm talking about. It is an uninspired reference that takes way too long to develop. You get it within 1 second, but it goes on for like 10 seconds sometimes.

And early YGO Abridged isn't uninspired? Bandit Keith's "in America?" Mai's boobs Tristan being a moron? Rex and Weevil being Beavis and Butthead? Later stuff has gotten better but early YGOA is not great at all compared to DBZ Abridged. I mean DBZ Abridged has some dumb humor but the exchanges between the characters are far better and there's a lot of great in-jokes about the series.

No new episode yet, I'm sorry, but they have behind the scenes stuff on their website now. One video shows how they do lip syncing and I can see why it takes them a long time to get videos out. Much respect to them.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
:lol @ Tien getting chinese and going to a movie.

That is EXACTLY what we jews do on Christmas :lol

Azure J

Aww man, if Chi Chi finds out about this, I might not get mouth present..."

Somebody give the writers a medal, that cannot be topped. EVER. :lol :lol :lol

Calcaneus said:
That was great, was wondering when they would do movies.

Goku even gets the best presents out of the group.

They did the Bardock special. In my opinion, it's one of the funnier episodes.

Bardock doesn't afraid of anything" caught me off-guard, I'll admit

Shouta said:
And early YGO Abridged isn't uninspired? Bandit Keith's "in America?" Mai's boobs Tristan being a moron? Rex and Weevil being Beavis and Butthead? Later stuff has gotten better but early YGOA is not great at all compared to DBZ Abridged. I mean DBZ Abridged has some dumb humor but the exchanges between the characters are far better and there's a lot of great in-jokes about the series.

No, I agree. It's really annoying and unfunny, however uninspired is kinda rough because it was the first notable abridged series on youtube. The concept itself was very fresh then. DBZA's first 10 is stronger than the first five episodes or so of YGOA. Here's the problem: "In America" takes 1 second. "First rule of Popo's training: Don't talk about Popo's training. Second rule of Popo's training: don't talk about popo's training" takes like 8 seconds. It's not funny, and is totally uninspired. When YGOA says stuff related to the show like "We'll settle this with a children's card game" it gets me every time, and it is a very original joke.

Even then, all of these series suffer from "Funnier in concept than execution." However, I feel YGOA has been doing a lot better execution lately.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I didn't realize TFS was also doing Hellsing Ultimate Abridged. Are they doing both that and DBZ simultaneously?

Burter: "It looks like Recoome is just too fast for Vegeta, and that's coming from the fastest guy in the universe!"

Jace: "Not really relevant now Burter..."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I love how they kept in the line "My name is Recoome, it rhymes with doom, and you'll be hurtin all too soon." from the first funi dub. It is SO cheesy

Top Bottom