• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Afrodium

Banned
Picked up dead cat on the first floor and hoped for the best. It feels pretty awesome to reverse your terrible run by transforming into Guppy

Tell me about it. Just got Golden God after a run in which I accidentally ran into a dead cat that spawned from a gold chest. I thought it was all over but ended up picking up Guppy's Head and Tail on the next floor and had no trouble getting to the end. As a side note, The Nail + Guppy kills everything ridiculously fast. All bosses, even end game ones, went down immediately.

saturnine

whew, managed to beat the dark room with a fairly shitty offensive build. All I had going for me was Lil' Brimstone and a metric ton of health with two full health pills in my pockets.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Tonight I tried out the BASE MENT seed. It's a pretty fun, if completely useless time waster of a seed. You can't win. And you pretty much always end up getting bored after an hour or two once you become almost completely impervious to all forms of damage, so it's best to choose a ending point...

ib0fKU1qh4iP5u.gif

In my run I chose level 50. By this point, actually by about 30 levels or so earlier, I was completely indestructible unless I tried to kill myself. And even then it was impossible in my case. I had items that did everything. My little army of blue spiders was unflinching and took out entire rooms of enemies in seconds before I could even shed a single tear. Earlier I even had a cat head that gave me flies. The flies always made it to the enemies first and I found myself constantly refilling them when the spiders were a much better supply, so I let it go eventually. My little deformed scapegoat came too late. By the time I got him, (Apparently from a Pretty Fly pill) I was so overpowered the enemies themselves didn't even get time to fire either, so he only came along for the ride, and I was glad to have him. On the very last level I picked up Tiny Planet and finished the job. This was the end. I now had giant multicolored shielded randomized tears circling my head forming a complete shield around me and my many followers. There was no reason to go on anymore. It was over. Oh, and by the way, I even had an item that made me actually invincible at random 90% of the time I entered a room, and another item that let me smash through rocks and poop with ease. In the final 10 levels I just gave up exploring and tried to get to the boss as fast as possible. At which point my friends would make quick work of them, and if not, then my invinicibility would. Even Bob's Brain couldn't stop this train. (I was hoping it would fuck me up so I could end my run. But it didn't do a damn thing except tag along with me.) And for some reason I only ever got a single cube of meat. But at one point I did have 12 whole hearts. (And plenty to sacrifice for better items.)

Seriously, the Scape Goat/Punching Bag familiar is my favorite thing ever. He's so adorable.

aku:jiki

Aahhh! I just spent like an hour setting up a sweet-ass break, I had 3 item pedestals in one room, 4 in another, had a library where I stashed IV Bag and Monster Manual, found Ipecac and was just about to start rerolling for Pyromaniac so I could get my Meat Boy and since I got it rolling as early as Caves 2, I was gonna try for angel rooms and to break in there too.

Just wanted to do one last D20 reroll for no reason. Boom, crash. Forgot to save and backup the save. :(

Anustart

Last night was another night of getting nothing going for the lost. I've given up on exploring the first floor. If the item room or curse room isn't adjacent to beginning, I restart. I've taken 5 minutes to clear big rooms way too often to do otherwise.

YESSSS!! Finally beat
Isaac
and unlocked the D6. Had to take out the last half of his health bar with me on half a heart. It was so tense!

Wow, I feel like I've poured hours into this game. Is there anyway to check your play time on PS4? This game alone has justified PS+ for me.

Anustart

Dead cat again with the lost, but I got monstro's lung + quad shot. Could shoot once every 5 seconds. Did find two suicide kings, one gave me a forget me now as well. Wasn't enough though, couldn't kill :(

AsfaeksBR

Bought it today on Steam Sale. Played the original for about 10 minutes and gave up because it didn't support gamepad.

Man, what a fun game! And since I can play it while listening to music/podcasts, I can see it replacing Spelunky as my Go To Game.

Had 6 Runs, beat Mom at the 4th. Now my battery died, so tomorrow I'll play more!

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else get randomly sent to the wrong room on ps4 when entering/leaving one? Used a key to open the item room, enter the secret room one left and two up item room. It's not an item/trinket I have cuz it happens randomly across several runs. Not too often though thankfully.

Joe Molotov

Does anyone else get randomly sent to the wrong room on ps4 when entering/leaving one? Used a key to open the item room, enter the secret room one left and two up item room. It's not an item/trinket I have cuz it happens randomly across several runs. Not too often though thankfully.

Curse of the Maze does this.

Mazzo

I've just experienced the craziest run in my BoI career, all thanks to a no. 1 die room.

http://i.imgur.com/VZyAkNfl.jpg

Quad shot piercing ipecac guppy with at least 6 familiars and who knows how many orbitals including Maggie's own head... I can't even describe most of that stuff, and half of the time I didn't even knew where I was stepping.

Gotta love this game.

SamVimes

Uh. Trying to get
Super Meat Boy
and
Bandage Girl
secrets via infinite MM rerolls and botched it 3 times :x

After i had the setup i literally spent 30 minutes using MM. It didn't help that i got 3 max level ball of bandages before level 2 cube of meat.

Joonytoon

Just had a run with a particular character where I got holy mantle in the first treasure room, dead cat in the next room on the same floor and technology in the second treasure room. Managed to get a stop watch in the second shop as well.

Bought it today on Steam Sale. Played the original for about 10 minutes and gave up because it didn't support gamepad.

Man, what a fun game! And since I can play it while listening to music/podcasts, I can see it replacing Spelunky as my Go To Game.

Had 6 Runs, beat Mom at the 4th. Now my battery died, so tomorrow I'll play more!

So much this! I've spent all weekend playing BoI and listening to the Hardcore History podasts. Great combo.

autoduelist

Can I drop itens?
Like if I have Soy Milk but I don't like it, can I drop it at any time?

You can't drop passive powerups like soymilk.

You can drop trinkets (bottom left) and pills/tarot/runes (bottom right). It's holding a key -- on the vita it's the select key -- for a couple seconds.

autoduelist

I got hit ONCE in the Dark Room by a small spider.

BibleThump

I've gotten 1 hit on 3 different attempts in the Dark Room/Chest for that trophy so far. All 3 felt ridiculous -- multiple Adversarys shooting guided brimstones, in one, some variation of the stationary ball monster that appeared in duplicate and shot multiple guided brimstones, and then in the last, the worst, something stupid like your spider.

Ugh.

aku:jiki

Aww, whaaaaaaaattttttttt. Apparently the stupid Breakfast joke kicks in sometimes even when you haven't emptied all pools. GTFO with that Nicalis, that joke is not funny when you've spent 2 hours breaking to try to get Godhead and the angel pool turns into HP ups after just 2 rerolls and without having seen all the items in there. :(

At least I got the meat boy out of the way...

Excellent synergy with certain items. Ludovico and gnawed leaf is an example.
Ludovico (and anything that requires you to use the tear controls, so Epic Fetus, ???'s Only Friend, etc) cancels out Gnawed Leaf. That synergy was too good to be true, I guess.

SerTapTap

Oh GOD. So I tried Suicide King and I found Cursed Eye in a Secret room. Here's me thinking "well, Cursed Eye can't be worse than killing myself". Well actually...Cursed Eye functions the same but queues up to 4 ipecac shots. Also it still disables instant fire. Game over man

It's satisfying beating Mom's Heart for the first time ever(I sucked all sorts of ass at the Original), and that complimented the sweetness of actually beating Mom on my first run of Rebirth.
Dark Bum pre-nerf is ridiculous
Edit: Also, in order to get the D6, I need to beat
Issac?
FFS
Not going to be fun

Chronoja

What is this reroll trick you're talking about?

Sharp Plug
or
Habit
Pyromaniac
+ Infinite explosions (either via an enemy or
Dr/Epic Fetus/Ipecac
) and the
D6 into the Monster Manual
allows for infinite rerolls / attempts to eventually spawn a Meat boy / Bandage girl.

You can also use
Placenta
for the passive regeneration but it's much, much slower.

jblank83

Ludovico (and anything that requires you to use the tear controls, so Epic Fetus, ???'s Only Friend, etc) cancels out Gnawed Leaf. That synergy was too good to be true, I guess.

Oh, too bad. Well, guess you can always get peeper's eye and play a 4 hour game of Isaac.

autoduelist

Any recommendations for the no damage Chest/Dark Room run besides the obvious stuff like holy mantle and superpowered guppy force? 3 solid attempts have been cheesed out so far and i'm losing my patience.

Working on my last few main runs, then all i have is that + meat boy junk + waiting for vita patch to give me godhead.

I just beat the chest with judas and didn't get any unlocks. grr. i don't even know if that's a bug or not.

Also, I guess I should just do all other runs before ??? since I could luck into an item that turns me into ??? and get an easier run? Though, honestly, i'm not finding ??? too difficult, I almost always run on low hearts because of devil deals, and so ??? isn't even remotely as difficult as my godhead runs.

Chronoja

Any recommendations for the no damage Chest/Dark Room run besides the obvious stuff like holy mantle and superpowered guppy force? 3 solid attempts have been cheesed out so far and i'm losing my patience.

Working on my last few main runs, then all i have is that + meat boy junk + waiting for vita patch to give me godhead.

I just beat the chest with judas and didn't get any unlocks. grr. i don't even know if that's a bug or not.

Also, I guess I should just do all other runs before ??? since I could luck into an item that turns me into ??? and get an easier run? Though, honestly, i'm not finding ??? too difficult, I almost always run on low hearts because of devil deals, and so ??? isn't even remotely as difficult as my godhead runs.

99 coins, some damage up's and Pay to Win. Never used it myself but I hear it can be quite effective. Also you could just find a way to cheese it with Starter Pack + Emperor Card + Chaos Card. Emperor Card and decent damage / dodging is usually always a good method for no damage runs.

Also I don't know why everyone is under the impression that ??? is a difficult character. There's usually an abundance of ways to gain health, and with permanent access to both challenge and boss challenge rooms he's rarely short on resources. Plus permanent Babylon mode if you ever find it and the Polaroid / Negative always proccing.

jblank83

If we're talking about OP items, we can talk about Stopwatch.

Fully upgrade the store and buy it. Slowdown on all enemies in a room, every room.

I pirated v1.0 and now that I bought the game on Steam, I want to transfer my unlocks to the Steam version

Uh, well, I doubt there's a feature built in for ...that case.

Of course, saves from versions that people bought day 1 were carried over from version 1.0 to 1.whatever automatically. But I guess you could probably dig through wherever you installed it and try and find whichever file is the save and copy it to the new location (wherever that happens to be). No idea how to go about that though.

Afrodium

Banned
Times I have hurt myself due to pressing X (also "fire down") to skip "VS boss" intros: 2

Holy shit, that's what's doing it! Whenever I have Fetus in a Jar there's a bomb right next to me when I enter the boss room which immediately explodes and damages me. I always assumed it was some especially cruel effect of the item but this is definelty why it's happening. Thank you!

Top Bottom