• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

xkramz

OH. Dang it, for some reason I'd only tried backing out to the first select screen, this didn't cross my mind.

WORKS --

Ok --

PS4 and Vita users who plan on platinuming the game, bookmark this post. This works on the current patch (1.02, I believe).

To get early 'infinite D6',

Use seed SCHS XTT4

Enter it, then back out twice to load screen, then start new Isaac (D6) game on normal.

First Floor Notes
-There will be no keys on the first floor.
- The treasure room is fairly worthless. Unicorn horn or Ankh if you d6. I suppose Ankh, but really, you shouldn't be dying.
- Don't bother going right from start. It's a time consuming Envy that only drops a coin.
- In the spider room, if you can get a spider to blow up near the X tinted rock, you get 2 souls hearts. This is good because you don't want to take red heart damage on floor 2.
-In spider room, top right pot has a swallowed penny. Since you'll be taking a lot of self inflicted damage, this will stop money worries.
-secret room - will edit data in here, don't really need it though
-super secret room - will edit data in here, don't really need it though

-you'll be fighting The Haunt, so those extra soul hearts might come in handy since you don't want any red heart damage on floor two.

Floor 2 Notes
-Go left one room. This will give you key.
-Go back right, then up twice
-Use key to get in shop
-Buy Sharp Plug (!!!!!!!!!!) on sale for 7
-bomb up to secret room, bomb right to Treasure Room and you have Scapular! (you spent one bomb on floor 1 to get swallowed penny, got one on way to shop, and will get two in secret room to get you to treasure room)
-One D6 on the boomerang in the store will get you Stopwatch!
-super secret room is just hearts -- no need for it
-you can abuse blood donation for money since you have scapular -- just keep leaving room and coming back in and it feeds off your regen soul heart.
-a couple d6s on the boss item will get you pentagram. damage + increased chance of future devil/angel rooms seems like a good choice to me.
-use the shell game... he eventually explodes and gives you wealth of chaos (coin pickups spawn bombs). so don't pick up any coins on the floor till you get this... though once you pick up the coins and get more bombs, switch back to the swallowed coin since that's basically infinite wealth

-You now have infinite D6. Be careful, improper use of the combo is an easy, stupid death.

-If you avoid red heart damage on floor 2, after fighting Monstro you will get a devil deal.
-If you don't take the deal, and don't take red heart damage on floor 3, you will get an angel room.

Floor 3 notes ---
In the treasure room, you'll roll a book with a 7 on it fairly early... you can spend some time using this/recharging it to get some items, then switch back to the D6.
--my goal (haven't done it yet) is to roll for pyro and then, soon after, roll for ipecac. Then find a store and roll for habit, and the dependency on the dangerous sharp plug is gone (when you're doing something a hundred times, if you get careless and sharp plug twice you die, start all over again).

How to use the combo:
-The goal is to get down to exactly one half a heart. This will trigger scapular, giving you 1 soul heart ONCE PER ROOM -- exit and come back every single time. Room does not need enemies.

-With half a heart and NO charges, using your collectible will trigger sharp plug. You'll take damage and fully charge your d6. However, your single soul heart will be taken, you'll be down to half a heart... and scapular triggers giving you the soul heart back instantly. (remember to leave and come back else scapular won't work).

-also remember sharp plug only works on a completely empty charge... on later floors, don't do something silly like clear a single room to see what's there and give yourself 1/6 charges when you planned on using the infinite trick.

-if you use sharp plug with 2 hearts, you die. From what I can tell, you need to use it with 2.5 hearts to start, or .5 hearts + soul heart for the infinite trick.

My goal is to find a goats head at some point so I can guarantee angel rooms. that can be found in devil rooms or challenge rooms (or red / gold chests). since i'm going for angel room items, I'll be looking for challenge rooms...
Quoting for future reference

SerTapTap

Any tips for solar system?

In addition to cheaping it out with a candle, the red fly does a ton of damage, and can beat a lot of more stationary bosses quite easily. And yeah, blindfold stops anything like knife, brimstone, probably dr fetus too.

autoduelist

So collection is mega-annoying.

I just spent over an hour on a run using the seed I posted about. Got one angel room collectable to show for it.

The problem is, once you cycle through something, it's gone forever... I thought/hoped it was only if you picked it up, but it's forever, even on later floors.

That means if you're going for Monster Manual to get Meat Boy, but you get the MM before you get a way to abuse it for infinite familiars, you're shit out of luck.

Gonna go back in. It's really, really painful, but early on in one arcade pool there was a item generator. I abused that, somehow with one of those trinkets that make everything red chests, and ended up getting two pickups to reroll with D6. So, in theory, I should be able to get everything I need between those 2 and a treasure room on one floor (bomb source, pyro, monster manual.)

It's just way more of a hassle.

I also didn't see any goats heads on that run, which makes getting angel rooms harder.

This is ridiculous. If I wasn't so close, I wouldn't go for it. I recommend against it.

rbanke

I'm not disbelieving you, but I just tried this on PS4 -> PS Vita and save upload worked fine. Maybe it's because one of the saves was from before the latest patch that it's weird.

You were able to continue a game in progress? I haven't tried it again since earlier today. This gives me hope it was just some weird glitch, and yes both are 1.03 and the game was started and uploaded after both had already been updated.

SerTapTap

You were able to continue a game in progress? I haven't tried it again since earlier today. This gives me hope it was just some weird glitch, and yes both are 1.03 and the game was started and uploaded after both had already been updated.

Yeah, was in game, hit exit, uploaded, downloaded on Vita, started the game, was in the same room in the same run as before

rbanke

Yeah, was in game, hit exit, uploaded, downloaded on Vita, started the game, was in the same room in the same run as before

Hrm, I just fired up the game on ps4 where i have a run in progress. Uploaded the save and turned on my Vita and downloaded the save and continue is grayed out.

EDIT: I just deleted my Vita save completely and sync->download and the save file comes up but continue is still unavailable despite being able to continue my run on the same save file on PS4.

EDIT2:I just figured it out. I've recently switched to playing hard mode. Apparently hard mode does not allow you to continue your run when syncing PS4->Vita or Vita->PS4. Works fine on normal mode. Not sure if thats a bug or supposed to be like that

autoduelist

Yeah that was changed. If you see it, it's removed from the pool.

This is a HUGE blow to rerolling for Monster Manual.

So... my next try will be mega-annoying, but SHOULD accomplish the goal.

On floor 2 (of the seed I've been discussing), there is an arcade. The blood bank eventually drops a pedestal item.

You also generate a ton of coins getting to that (you have infinite health thanks to scapular).

Fairly early on, the Item generator book drops -- I'm pretty sure this is what dropped the Red Hand (red chests) early on, but I'm not absolutely sure- I know I got it without much trouble on floor 2, could have been in a secret room. I know I got it somehow. This is important because you don't need keys for them and red chests drop some important items I'll need (rarely).

After that, more use of the D6 will result in the D20 dropping (rerolls basic pickups, not pedestal items, so your D6 is safe).

Since there are a ton of coins on the ground at this point, and, in theory, you can generate more using scapular + swallowed coin found on floor one.... I should be able to make a ton of red chests. I will need two things from those chests -- 1) any pedestal item to reroll because I need more pedestal spots to be able to keep Monster Manual, and 2) Goat Head.

If I switch the boss room item to a activatible item, I can switch it with the monster manual, then go reclaim my D6, and go back to getting pyro + ipecac/fetus.

The Goat Head drops from chests, and I need it to reliably pickup more than 1 angel room item per run, so in a way this is the most important part.

I have a feeling this run will take me 2 hours, but in theory, I should be able to platinum god after it. Maybe, hopefully. But it will be hellish.

High level abuse like this is interesting on a theoretical level, but crap in action.

Please take Bob's Brain out of the fucking game. Picking it up just single-handedly ruined a great Hard Mode run I was on. I had Curse of the Unknown and couldn't see what I was picking up.

aku:jiki

Oddly the shop items don't follow this rule.
They do, they're just in the pool multiple times. They do go away eventually.

I think it's intentional since McMillen has definitely taken breaking into account when designing Rebirth, as this way you can roll past Habit to get Plug and still get the Habit later. All pools should do this, though. The Breakfast joke is lame, give us more items!

Please take Bob's Brain out of the fucking game. Picking it up just single-handedly ruined a great Hard Mode run I was on. I had Curse of the Unknown and couldn't see what I was picking up.
Bob's Brain is amazing once you learn when to pick it up and how to use it. It just saved my last run as my base damage was weak but the brain picked up the slack and killed bosses for me.

autoduelist

OK, I made massive edits to my original 'how to get infinite D6 / and MM' in my other post here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143167504&highlight=#post143167504

The seed listed is for PS4/Vita. However, the advanced abuse techniques I'm employing may be of value on other playthroughs if you're seeking a rare item on PC.

Basically, on floor 2 you need to abuse the Arcade, abuse the D6, abuse the D20, and use the boss room Pedestal as storage for the early appearing Monster Manual. Detailed instructions in linked post.

I haven't finished the run, so I don't know how many Angel Room items I'll get per run, but hopefully I clear it out in one go.

Items I have after floor 2, with Treasure Room item pool absolutely empty:

Sharp Plug, Scapular, Epic Fetus, Pyromaniac, Goat Head

So I'll always see Devil/Angel Rooms, have max damage, can heal myself, and have infinite D6 same room rerolls going forward.

SerTapTap

Curse of the Blind is the problem moreso than Bob's Brain. Shitty awful idea. Today I got THIS, followed by a Tiny Planet in the item room

B4xc3JuCcAEShkV.jpg

Though I do hate Bob's Brain for being a gold chest item. I coulda got Fate or Infamy but noooo bob's brain.

autoduelist

I am the biggest worst idiot in the world.

After 1:20 hours in this run, fully ready to get platinum god, I remember I'm missing one item in the secret room. I have a judgement card I planned to use in an Angel Room, so I brilliantly think -- hey, I can use that in the secret room and get that item!

Genius, right?

I should have looked up what the item did first. It was Missing No.

I screwed the entire run. At least I earned Super Meat Girl and Boy first.

QUESTION -- I got the popup that says 'You found Super Meat Girl' or something like that. But I didn't get the popup that says 'A super bandage appeared in the basement' or whatever it says. Am I screwed?

EDIT -- no, got it next run

OK, I made massive edits to my original 'how to get infinite D6 / and MM' in my other post here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143167504&highlight=#post143167504

The seed listed is for PS4/Vita. However, the advanced abuse techniques I'm employing may be of value on other playthroughs if you're seeking a rare item on PC.

Basically, on floor 2 you need to abuse the Arcade, abuse the D6, abuse the D20, and use the boss room Pedestal as storage for the early appearing Monster Manual. Detailed instructions in linked post.

I haven't finished the run, so I don't know how many Angel Room items I'll get per run, but hopefully I clear it out in one go.

Items I have after floor 2, with Treasure Room item pool absolutely empty:

Sharp Plug, Scapular, Epic Fetus, Pyromaniac, Goat Head

So I'll always see Devil/Angel Rooms, have max damage, can heal myself, and have infinite D6 same room rerolls going forward.
Alternatively, wouldn't the curse room/spiders glitch I've been reading on work for your purposes?
I just ran into 2 of these rooms on a challenge run on Vita.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Okay, I kinda sorta take back what I said about Isaac's heart. Free blood donation machine uses :O

autoduelist

Gonna throw my vita through a window.

I am currently in the angel room. Platinum God popped. But I'm only getting Breakfasts and Godhead DID NOT SHOW.

Godhead is the only thing keeping me from my platinum. Why is it not showing if I cleared the item pool of every other angel item?

I wouldn't abuse seeds for the challenges since they're all sane, screw The Lost though, I'll abuse the hell out of this

I found another good seed for the Lost: SNF3 DRKA. I only ran through it on the Dark Room, though so I'm not sure what you get on the Chest.

You get Holy Mantle, 20/20, Crickets Body, Halo, Blood Clot and Toothpicks on the first four floors. Nine lives in the devil room just after the Mom boss fight, and Mutant Spider in the boss rush room. (Not sure what the other items are, actually, since I had curse of the blind. I don't know if curses are part of the seed though).

You can also get Guppy's Hairball in one of the devil rooms and I was able to become Guppy on Sheol, although I'm not sure you'd be able to if you go the Cathedral route. Either way it's a pretty powerful run.

Stoze

I had some RNGod blessings tonight. Got 3 dollars in one run, and another run with Eve I started with the D6 and found a black market. Rolled through the item pool, got Meat Boy and Bandage girl achievements, and then kept rolling until there was only Breakfast.

I'm pretty much completely done with Normal mode, I still need to do Boss Rush with all the characters, but I figure I'll do that on Hard so then I can keep going till hopefully Dark Room/Chest.

autoduelist

OK, two tries... both times I emptied angel room pool. No godhead. I saw the unlock notification post-patch on vita.

Has anyone seen Godhead on vita (or ps4, I suppose)?

Of note -- Platinum God secret unlocked when I grabbed the second to last item, instead of the last item (Godhead). This scares me, because it makes it feel like the game thought the item pool was complete when I got the second to last item, because Godhead is 'missing' from the pool even though it's now unlocked (ie, a vicious bug).

Bug? Glitch? WTF.

If anyone has a godhead ps4/vita seed, I'd hug you.

Lethe82

Banned
I've played the game for a bit now, nothing crazy. One thing I still haven't understood are the cards and... pills? I got an item once that gave the pills names, adn there is a card that multiplies items you get... what am I missing?

ElTopo

Banned
Had another good run with Azazel, got controllable tears so it was a cakewalk. FINALLY fought Lokii and unlocked Challenge 11 and beat it in 2 tries. I don't get why that challenge is so hard to unlock but yet it's easy as fuck.

I consider myself having beaten the game now. I've yet to fight Blue Baby but I've beaten every challenge and unlocked every ending and fought Omega Satan.

Haunted

So I know they probably want some characters to be easier and others to be harder.

But an easy way to balance two similar characters would be to give ??? the ability to gain red hearts while Azazel would convert HP ups and the likes into black hearts. One of the weakest and one of the strongest characters slightly balanced out with a single move that doesn't remove any mechanic from the game or changes any of their respective stats.

autoduelist

So I know they probably want some characters to be easier and others to be harder.

But an easy way to balance two similar characters would be to give ??? the ability to gain red hearts while Azazel would convert HP ups and the likes into black hearts. One of the weakest and one of the strongest characters slightly balanced out with a single move that doesn't remove any mechanic from the game or changes any of their respective stats.

That would sort of defeat the purpose of ??? and make Azazel even more OP.

Azazel is Baby mode and ??? is Hard mode. They're difficulty levels and don't need to be balanced.

Haunted

Azazel is Baby mode and ??? is Hard mode. They're difficulty levels and don't need to be balanced.
bah.

The rewards for ??? completions aren't any better than those for Azazel completions. One character is trash tier and one is OP. I think there's a balance to be found somewhere in the middle.

That would sort of defeat the purpose of ??? and make Azazel even more OP.
Not being able to gain red hearts is what makes ??? bad (as it removes/sours several mechanics -> blood banks, heart drops, HP ups, devil deals etc), so applying this to Azazel would definitely be a nerf to an OP character that, honestly, would probably still be top tier even with that change.

I've played the game for a bit now, nothing crazy. One thing I still haven't understood are the cards and... pills? I got an item once that gave the pills names, adn there is a card that multiplies items you get... what am I missing?

The cards all have the same effects all the time, you'll start to remember what they do as you play more.

The pills are different every run. The PHD item will name all the pills and all effects will be neutral or good.

The thing that multiplies the drops is either a rune which doubles all the droppables (keys,bombs,hearts,cards,pills, etc) in the current room or youre talking about an item that you can get that lets you choose between 2 items after a boss battle.

autoduelist

So I turned on my vita this morning and almost cried. My Isaac sitting in a Angel Room, with lunch rerolling every time because the Angel pool is empty even though, for the second time, no Godhead showed up. Godhead is definitely unlocked, I saw it popup after dying the first time post-patch.

I can only think of two possibilities:
1) Vita (maybe ps4 bug)... they fixed it unlocking but broke it actually appearing. Evidence - my Platinum God secret popped up when I picked up the second to last item, which could easily mean the game thinks I picked up all items when it checked the 'queue' of available items. However, since Godhead wasn't in the Queue, it's left me locked out, and True Platinum God actually checks for all items found on the Stat screen, so can never trigger.

2) Is Godhead intentionally 'rare' so that I need to keep rerolling Lunch over and over in hopes it shows up? I've done so already at least 100 times with no luck. This leads me to believe it's a bug.

BIG EDIT -- nevermind, I guess? Looks like it's number 2. More googling and i finally found someone with the same issue.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/250900/discussions/0/619573787387210511/?insideModal=1

It looks like D6 may prevent Godhead from showing up for some reason.

Someone reported getting Godhead by... rerolling Eden. So maybe I'll try that. FFS.

EDIT 2-

So it looks like every 'special' item you pick up lessens your chances for future special items (it gets rerolled if picked). D6 is bad enough - the first special item halves your chances for others, I believe, but each additional one makes it worse.

It's not made clear if the item is 'removed' from the game, or if you can reroll 100s of times and eventually find it. Probably removed.

So... two Godhead strategies:

1) Reroll Eden till she starts with it. Someone on that first link claims they did this.
2) Use a modified version of my detailed run in which I avoid all special items (except d6 which I'd start with), grab goathead in the arcade, and then reroll the angel room with a 50% chance of it working. if it does, platinum. if it doesn't, that seed is dead to me so i'd go to #1 above.

Not being able to gain red hearts is what makes ??? bad (as it removes/sours several mechanics -> blood banks, heart drops, HP ups, devil deals etc), so applying this to Azazel would definitely be a nerf to an OP character that, honestly, would probably still be top tier even with that change.

I suppose? I run all characters off black hearts if at all possible, so I don't really see it as a nerf. I didn't have a particularly hard time with ??? and I agree with the other poster that the characters aren't supposed to be balanced -- Azazel is a 'explore and learn the game' character.

Pills -- randomized colors every run, not all pills are in play every game. Once you use one, it's named for the rest of the run. Some good, some bad. IMO always risk it, though wait for end of level in case of Amnesia. Good far outweighs bad for the long haul, even if you might roll bad one game.

Cards --
Tarot Cards do special things, some are quite powerful
Suit Cards (like hearts, spades, etc) double something in your inventory -- clubs= bombs, spades = keys, etc.

There are also runes for that slot unlocked by completed challenges that can be very powerful.

PHD is a passive pickup that not only names all pills for you, but rerolls bad pills into good/neutral pills.

SerTapTap

I used to think analog sticks were the way to go and still use them often, but I'm finding myself using the facebuttons a lot more recently; great for chocolate milk/antigrav tears, and anything that charges, also lets you fire of Lil Brimstone without losing the beat of firing normal tears if you're quick enough.

edit: after running the same seed in normal and hard mode (post hard mode patch) I can confirm item room, boss and devil deal items are all exactly the same, as are item room items, The Chest's first 4 chests, so hard mode does not penalize your items. However, since it can turn The Basement into The Cellar and such, there may be some different items in normal rooms such as gold chest items that appear in one room that's absent in the other difficulty. Also, oddly, Boss Rush items were a bit different, but not really worse. So yeah, hard mode is fine.

aku:jiki

Just had one of those runs that prove that you should never give up until it's actually over. I started out with Polyphemus and thought I was in for a good time, but was hit with curse of the blind and then curse of the lost twice in a row, four straight floors of bothersome curses. First blind made me take Judas' Shadow (which would've been nice if I wasn't going for Lazarus unlocks), but the second one gave me two Guppy pieces. Things still weren't looking up and somewhere along the way I bought Starting Deck for no other reason than the fact that I had money and nothing to buy, thanks to the curses. A floor or two later, I found my final Guppy piece and picked up a Jera and decided to go for The Chest for that hail mary carry save. Somewhere along the way, I found the second Jera and really started to smile...

End result:

Let's open them up...

What's this, you say? Time for an Undefined spam fest? Yep, and the secret room had another Jera and a Wheel of Fortune in it...

Undefined decided that enough was enough and didn't allow me to have a second party. :(

SerTapTap

(secret character spoilers I guess)Fuck you, game. Fuck. You.

platinum is mine. will post pics after a nap. will also post concise directions on how to get godhead on vita and ps4 if people want.

may my frustration lead to others salvation.

How many trophies did you have fail to unlock? I'm nearing platinum and haven't YET lost a secret character achievement, but Something Sticky will be a pain in the ass to re-trigger. Regardless of skill that's 20 goddamn runs of like 20 minutes

autoduelist

platinum is mine. will post pics after a nap. will also post concise directions on how to get godhead on vita and ps4 if people want.

may my frustration lead to others salvation.

SerTapTap

PS4 users can just use seed G2KQ M1J1 + the seed exploit to get Godhead, don't get hit at all and Catacombs 1 will have an angel room with godhead (also has tech 1 and Death's Touch on the way).

I'd hate to "cheat" so much in a game this good, but it's not like I'm skipping any actual difficulty, just RNG bullshit for days.

autoduelist

PS4 users can just use seed G2KQ M1J1 + the seed exploit to get Godhead, don't get hit at all and Catacombs 1 will have an angel room with godhead (also has tech 1 and Death's Touch on the way).

I'd hate to "cheat" so much in a game this good, but it's not like I'm skipping any actual difficulty, just RNG bullshit for days.

Dang, wish you posted that earlier. How'd you find this seed? Wasn't on the wiki.

I didn't cheat for anything else either. But when it's down to something like collectables, the bane of trophy-dom, whatever.

Boy, I cannot wait until someone hacks the original soundtrack into this. Past the first "stage," it's all downhill music-wise.

Great game, though. I will probably meet my total playtime for the original very soon.

Top Bottom