• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

Phew, progress. I died in Womb II (freaking leeches rushing at me simultaneously with those damn blue champion ones), but at least I've done Boss Rush with The Lost. At least I won't have to fret getting to Mom quickly, that's something I guess.

SerTapTap

then I get resurrected again, and to my horror I realize that the re-roll in the Dice Room landed me with the worst possible item for this entire process - Judas' Shadow.

I'm such a fucking moron.

Basically never use build reroll items. If you already have a good item it will never again appear, especially damaging for common but good things like guppy bits and Goat's Head. MissingNo sounds like a fun challenge run but it still seems more like shooting yourself in the foot than anything. Also build reroll items eventually replace all your shit with Breakfast if used too much. They're a cute idea I guess but I loathe them in practice.

Just like to say Crypt of the Necrodancer is on sale on steam right now. If you like roguelikes and a great soundtrack from Danny Baranowskyhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860392

Oh THAT'S why people care about this game

Aw man, I've been playing this most of today and I just realized like 7 or 8 trophies didn't pop. I guess cause PSN is down?

Trophies work offline, it's just that fine Nicalis programming. Gotta redo it on a new save file.

Need a little help with unlocking

You're doing this all in a row (no runs between, restarting from isaac if you fuck up ever) and no seeds for Azazel right? And yes, die to second phase satan.

CassSept

MissingNo sounds like a fun challenge run but it still seems more like shooting yourself in the foot than anything. .

It's fuuun! Really, I once picked it up around the middle of the run and the rest was a pretty wild ride. It helps that effects of some of the items you roll remain later on, like transformation or pick up increases (I got Fly on one floor and Pyro (the 99 bombs Pyro) and until the end of the run I had flying and an absolute ton of bombs). Getting to the next floor was exciting every time hah.

SerTapTap

It's fuuun! Really, I once picked it up around the middle of the run and the rest was a pretty wild ride. It helps that effects of some of the items you roll remain later on, like transformation or pick up increases (I got Fly on one floor and Pyro (the 99 bombs Pyro) and until the end of the run I had flying and an absolute ton of bombs). Getting to the next floor was exciting every time hah.

They should have a seed (like one of the special seeds with a different map every time, but a certain effect every time) that adds the Missingno effect. I want to try it, but it's really rare (I actually had to seed exploit to collect it and most of the other secret room things acutally), and I wouldn't want to screw over a good run with it.

CassSept

They should have a seed (like one of the special seeds with a different map every time, but a certain effect every time) that adds the Missingno effect. I want to try it, but it's really rare (I actually had to seed exploit to collect it and most of the other secret room things acutally), and I wouldn't want to screw over a good run with it.

It was a kinda meh run so I decided hell, why not. It turned a meh run into an incredibly enjoyable and fun one.

Just looked through my Collections Page, I still didn't come upon Transcendence even once. The hell.

aku:jiki

Just looked through my Collections Page, I still didn't come upon Transcendence even once. The hell.
Secret room items and the black market are waaaaay too rare to make any sense IMO. They kind of lose their reason for existing when you see them once every 150 hours...

Kuroyume

Banned
Trying desperately to platinum the game before the DLC hits because if Wrath of Lamb is any indication they'll make it harder... Hell, they've already made it more challenging in a sense by nerfing Krambus' head and Dark bum. Trying to get through the challenges. Have about 13 done so far out of 20... Some of them seem way to unfair though. That solar system challege? I have to beat Mom's heart with THAT?

SerTapTap

Trying desperately to platinum the game before the DLC hits because if Wrath of Lamb is any indication they'll make it harder... Hell, they've already made it more challenging in a sense by nerfing Krambus' head and Dark bum. Trying to get through the challenges. Have about 13 done so far out of 20... Some of them seem way to unfair though. That solar system challege? I have to beat Mom's heart with THAT?

None of the challenges are THAT bad IMO, I don't think I did more than 3 or 4 retries on any. Devil Deals can be the key to victory, as can shops. A single good Use item can make Solar System and Family Man much easier, and Boomerang in particular is insanely good in Suicide King since it keeps your Ipecac shot's damage.

The secret character is way more unreasonable than all challenges combined

Secret room items and the black market are waaaaay too rare to make any sense IMO. They kind of lose their reason for existing when you see them once every 150 hours...

I have real plat god, have found ONE fucking black market. Only found I Am Error with Undefined. Found TWO secret room-only items playing normally (when I do find items it's usually something ass like Cursed Eye, which is also a treasure room item). Even Retro Treasure Rooms feel too rare since I don't actually want level skips from Shovel.

Some stuff is too rare for it's own good, and also some room layouts are far too common, too. There's this room with three Globins on meat bridges in The Womb that I see every single run, and a red Host with 4 Nerve Endings I see constantly in Depths. Could deal with tweaking some of those rooms frequency.

Haunted

And black/soul hearts have no bearing on what room you get, that's a debunked myth by now.
I was more thinking in the sense of spirit hearts preventing red heart damage and leading to a higher chance of bonus rooms, no?

I'm actually still not sure how exactly the mechanic works, but Northernlion keeps mentioning something along those lines. :lol

E: Haunted, I'd actually agree the hardest part is not accidentally killing Satan :D on my unlock of the character I died simultaneously with him because ugh orbitals
Are you kidding me. Thanks to Rotten Baby and Mom's Knife I accidentally killed satan while just waiting to die
Don't laugh now, but I actually accidentally killed Satan's second form while trying to die to him. :lol

Luckily, the first foot stomp sealed the deal.

Haunted

If we're talking about too rare, how about fucking level 4 meat boy/bandage girl. >_>

Also, the COCKFGHT seed is one of the funnier special seeds, imo. Interesting to see which monsters are stronger sometimes. :D

I have real plat god, have found ONE fucking black market. Only found I Am Error with Undefined. Found TWO secret room-only items playing normally (when I do find items it's usually something ass like Cursed Eye, which is also a treasure room item). Even Retro Treasure Rooms feel too rare since I don't actually want level skips from Shovel.
I think Error and Retro rooms should be as rare as they are, since they're just a bonus item pedestal you simply luck into. The secret room pool and the black market, though, have items that are meant to help you along... I just don't see the point of Skeleton Key being incredibly rare, since it really doesn't have that huge of an impact on any given run.

And considering the black market items come at a high cost, it should be way more common. There's a big difference between a red heart and 15 cents!

I was more thinking in the sense of spirits hearts prevent red heart damage -> higher chance of bonus rooms, no?

I'm actually still not sure how exactly the mechanic works, but Northernlion keeps mentioning something along those lines. :lol
Haha, I knew it! I was going to include a line about NL in my original post but left it out. Remember that NL is a funny guy, but not at all an expert at the game. I recommend Bisnap, even if he's kinda boring, if you want to learn more about the game.

(One thing I find annoying about how both NL and Bisnap are doing Rebirth is that they record in advance and every video they upload today is like 2 weeks old, including 2 week old knowledge about the game... It's pretty unhelpful.)

Haunted

Haha, I knew it! I was going to include a line about NL in my original post but left it out. Remember that NL is a funny guy, but not at all an expert at the game. I recommend Bisnap, even if he's kinda boring, if you want to learn more about the game.

(One thing I find annoying about how both NL and Bisnap are doing Rebirth is that they record in advance and every video they upload today is like 2 weeks old, including 2 week old knowledge about the game... It's pretty unhelpful.)
:D

I mostly watch them for entertainment, and NL is one of the best/least annoying LPers out there, imo. His ratio of successful runs is already almost too high, the most entertaining runs need tension!

Beaulieu

twice today my game stopped and I got stuck in an infinite loading.
coming from xb360 last gen, this PSN bullshit really is starting to piss me off

corn_fest

50 hours in, one Chest clear, and I think I might be wrapping up my time with this, at least until the expansion or a significant patch drops.

It's been fun but the over-reliance on RNG to get damage increasing items has started to grate on me. Too many good runs ending too soon because I can't spend 50 minutes picking off tiny pieces of Isaac's HP without dying.

SerTapTap

50 hours in, one Chest clear, and I think I might be wrapping up my time with this, at least until the expansion or a significant patch drops.

It's been fun but the over-reliance on RNG to get damage increasing items has started to grate on me. Too many good runs ending too soon because I can't spend 50 minutes picking off tiny pieces of Isaac's HP without dying.

Can't particularly agree with that assessment. I felt like that when I just started out, but since I first beat the final levels I've very, VERY rarely felt like the items given to me on a run were particularly unfair (I've only really had a bad build when I took extremely anti-synergetic items by my own idiocy). Do make sure to check stores, secret rooms and devil deals, pretty much every run should include some decent stuff really. Also be sure to do challenges and look up unlocks, some very good, fairly common items are locked (mom's knife is a very important one, and the runes are nice bonuses to unlock).

Also be sure to open all the red chests, turning into Guppy or getting a Goat's Head can singlehandedly turn a run around.

I just started this game, and I feel like everyone else is talking about a different game. Do I need to beat this a few times for it to get interesting or something?

NEO0MJ

Man, the dead cat is a terrible familiar. Couldn't beat the Heart with Samson because the fight resets whenever I'm hit.

I just started this game, and I feel like everyone else is talking about a different game. Do I need to beat this a few times for it to get interesting or something?

The levels become more interesting later on, though I guess the start gives you a general idea of how it's going to be.

RNG is always going to be a factor, but Isaac is really a game about finding a way through the RNG. Learning everything you can do to raise your chances is a big deal, and almost every run can be won as long as you're diligent enough in doing everything you can do. There will be some runs where RNG just relentlessly fucks you and there's nothing you can do, but the average run can always be improved.

In fact, the fact that the game allows you to almost always find a way to win is why I prefer Isaac over all the other roguelites out there. Other beloved ones like FTL and Dungeon of the Endless piss me off because luck is a major factor in every run in those games. (Admittedly, I didn't play enough FTL to know for sure because I couldn't figure out a way to play around the luck in the 5 or so hours I spent on it.)

The main thing you're not getting right, I would guess, is that you're missing out on devil deals. You have to try your best not to take red heart damage preferrably ever, but specifically on basement/cellar 2, as that floor has a guaranteed 100% devil deal chance if you don't take red heart damage. Learn to spot tinted rocks to keep your soul hearts up, since there's at least 1 tinted on the first floor in like 85% of your runs. Devil deals are the most reliable way to earn damage ups.

Dead Cat is invaluable for The Lost though.
Dead Cat is just an all around boss item with several (situational) uses. It's a divisive item because it sounds horrible to beginner players, but it gets veteran players excited for the things they can do with it. One of the most clever items in the game, IMO.

You can use it to get free devil deals. You can use it with a Suicide King+Blank Card combo to spawn 8 item pedestals. It's a very common Guppy piece. It can give you a red heart container when you have none. I'm probably forgetting some uses for it...

Manu

I killed Mega Satan for the first time earlier today. I got lucky and my tears got pretty much every effect (concussive, slow, homing) while also doing massive damage. I'll upload the video as soon as PSN is back up.

I was also kinda disappointed at the fact there are no unlocks or trophies linked to beating him.

Beaulieu

Unlocked 5 trophies during PSN outage, they didnt pop and didnt unlock.
This was including Golden God

I am no trophy whore but I am really fcuking pissed of about this.

Beaulieu

PSN outage doesn't have anything to do with the trophy glitches.

I don't know man, I've had the glitch a few times before so I had to do a second save, but litteraly ALL trophies I was supposed to get in the last 3 days didnt unlock. Seems odd.

Also, how the fuck this did pass certification with the trophies not working ?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Uh....guys? I think I just broke the game. I just beat the chest with the lost, an I definitely didn't do it fairly. For some reason I was completely invulnerable. You heard me. I literally couldn't die no matter how much damage I took. I'm not sure what caused it. I visibly took damage countless times and my character made the pain sound it always makes when you take damage. Yet I never died. I wrote down the seed and I'll see if this happens again tomorrow but for now I'm going to bed. This is weird. Any idea what could have caused this?

MUnited83

For you.
Uh....guys? I think I just broke the game. I just beat the chest with the lost, an I definitely didn't do it fairly. For some reason I was completely invulnerable. You heard me. I literally couldn't die no matter how much damage I took. I'm not sure what caused it. I visibly took damage countless times and my character made the pain sound it always makes when you take damage. Yet I never died. I wrote down the seed and I'll see if this happens again tomorrow but for now I'm going to bed. This is weird. Any idea what could have caused this?

PS Vita, EU version?

Do make sure to check stores, secret rooms and devil deals, pretty much every run should include some decent stuff really. Also be sure to do challenges and look up unlocks, some very good, fairly common items are locked (mom's knife is a very important one, and the runes are nice bonuses to unlock).

Also be sure to open all the red chests, turning into Guppy or getting a Goat's Head can singlehandedly turn a run around.

Is there a way to find secret rooms with any kind of consistency?

Also, is there a list of items out there that require you to do certain things to unlock them? Until now it's just been random for me, since I don't really know what the requirements are.

How do you turn into Guppy?

I don't know man, I've had the glitch a few times before so I had to do a second save, but litteraly ALL trophies I was supposed to get in the last 3 days didnt unlock. Seems odd.

Also, how the fuck this did pass certification with the trophies not working ?

With you there. Nothing is popping since, which sucks because I finally finished my lost runs

Had some great combos recently. Was playing as Azazel and got quad shot. Four Brimstones that overlapped each other. Then I had Monstro's Lung with the Scythe along with a few other items that highly boosted tear size, and it was amazing. Those runs always make this game worth it. Challenges are fun too but damn I have no clue on how you're supposed to beat things like Cats Got Your Tongue and Suicide King.

One other thing I found out thats cool, the item that heals you when you're hit by an explosion counts some boss attacks at the moment. I also want to see if I can get You're The Bomb and that item to see if you can endlessly heal yourself.

Had some great combos recently. Was playing as Azazel and got quad shot. Four Brimstones that overlapped each other.

Quad shot with Azazel takes way too long to fire though. I actually died because I had to spend too long charging up my attacks in rooms with a lot of enemies. That requires you to be much more responsive.

On the other hand, I had a run that does damage to everything on the screen every time you press space, but it costs 1 cent. I had the item that drops everything in doubles, as well as the card that doubles one of your items (it doubled my money). I was able to kill all the bosses just by spamming space.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Same thing happened to me after using the Strength card. It actually took about 20 hits for me until it finally registered as damage. Vita version.

SerTapTap

Is there a way to find secret rooms with any kind of consistency?

Also, is there a list of items out there that require you to do certain things to unlock them? Until now it's just been random for me, since I don't really know what the requirements are.

How do you turn into Guppy?

Yes there's a trick to finding secret rooms, and to a lesser extent super secret rooms:

Secret Rooms must be bombed into, and are located next to more than one room, usually 3 rooms, if not then 4, then finally 2, then one.

Super Secret Rooms are only located next to one other room, and this room can't be a special room (item, shop, boss,...). Also, the entrance of the Super Secret Room must be directly accessible (no rocks nor gaps in the way).

You can look up the game's achievement list, or just search http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth for the word "unlock" (there will be spoilers) to see what's unlockable. Main thing you want to do when starting out is optomize every run to unlock stuff. Always try to end a run on a new boss unlock (the icons on the character screen in the top left are boss kill unlocks), do your challenges, MOST of the rest you should get as you play. Though some are unreasonable like Scissors (100 deaths) and you basically need to go out of your way (or play a VERY long time) to do them.

Collecting 3 "Guppy" items in one run will turn you into Guppy (anything with Guppy's in the name, also Dead Cat), also you don't have to KEEP the item, just picking up and dropping the Guppy Use items still counts. Being Guppy spawns flies each time you hit an enemy, which home on targets and deal major damage based off your tear damage, also you fly as Guppy. Even with otherwise terrible stats Guppy should be able to carry you through almost any run with even a middling amount of skill.

There IS a lot of random shit in Isaac, and it IS possible for RNG to make or break your run (mostly make), but with skill and knowledge of how to handle what you're given the game isn't nearly as luck based as it may first appear. It's "random" but a designed sort of random that basically always yields a playthrough that's possible. What items appear where and the map layouts have carefully designed rules, individual room layouts (other than items, plus enemies can spawn as variations upon themselves) are actually hand made and just randomly distributed.

There's definitely a lot I don't know.

How come some runs end after beating mom's heart? I've been able to get to Satan sometimes, but not every time. And it's usually when I have a really powerful set of items that the game ends on the heart (when I want to go on the most). Ugh.

SerTapTap

There's definitely a lot I don't know.

How come some runs end after beating mom's heart? I've been able to get to Satan sometimes, but not every time. And it's usually when I have a really powerful set of items that the game ends on the heart (when I want to go on the most). Ugh.

It's more of a "bonus" that the game lets you continue past the heart before a certain point, only happens if a devil/angel room appears. After 11 heart kills both paths are open forever.

Tainted

When you beat the game, do you get NG+? Or do you just keep restarting from scratch?

Depends on what your definition is of 'beat the game'. There is no NG+ as each run starts off from scratch, but more content unlocks the more you play and 'finish' the game

DrunkDan

It sounds like the dead cat glitch.

Top Bottom