• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, some albums tell stories some are good, some are bad. When you talk about storytelling in music you don't lump in every piece of music ever written. That would obviously elevate music that tried to tell a story at all.

Not sure if I'd put fighters into that ring of story cause a fighter lives and dies by its mechanics alone in the gaming world.

Destiny tries to tell a story immediately when you boot it up, it has several lengthy unskippable cutscenes where NPCs pass along info and progress the story and it's 100% booty.

What sucks most of all is that the universe is interesting, it shouldn't be so difficult to attach a passable narrative.

Destiny is a loot game at it's core though. Like many other loot games, there's a story but that's not the main focus. Just like Fighters have a story but it's not the main focus. The difference, really, is expectations. Nobody expects SF, MvC, GG, etc.. to have a story that even makes sense, let alone is entertaining. But being from Bungie, people's expectations were through the roof. Though I'll admit, unlike a lot of other things people are criticizing the game for, Bungie actually did hype the story so live by the sword in that regard I guess.

Some of that is explained by the MMO nature of the game. When people play Halo everyone is master chief savior of everybody. But in a MMO you have to make everyone believe they are the mystical "The One". So shit is pre packaged canned shit.

Even still, they failed horribly.

6.5 on IMDB
iBu6PxYycBjep.png

Silky

Banned
Gonna go and trade in GTAV and KH 1.5. Think I got my fun outta GTA and I'm ready for kh2 HD.

Might just go pick up Yaiba, Titanfall and rent Destiny.

They always do. Game Devs should hire writers..

I'd like to see more writers in the vein of Amy Hennig and Shigesato Itoi instead of more Anthony Burches.

--

Kinda Related to the topic: Slayven is Gerry Duggan a good writer? He's done a few Nova/Deadpool comics

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Shit is even worse on the Indie and Japanese side.

Ehh maybe. Personally I like Japanese games and indie games more because there's a more discernible level of personal craftsmanship in the stories

They may not be as well written but more often than not they're a lot more imaginative and unique than what we see in AAA and in the west. and to me that's the most important thing when it comes to stories in video games. Give me a fun and interesting world to play in and tell me the story of the game through what i'm playing.

I don't think something like that comes together as well when the people designing the game and the people writing the story and lore are working almost completely independent of each other, Vs someone like Kojima or Kamiya or Ishiwatari being involved in every aspect of the game's creation at the head.

There's too manymoving parts in AAA development and I think that stifles creativity

Destiny is a loot game at it's core though. Like many other loot games, there's a story but that's not the main focus. Just like Fighters have a story but it's not the main focus. The difference, really, is expectations. Nobody expects SF, MvC, GG, etc.. to have a story that even makes sense, let alone is entertaining. But being from Bungie, people's expectations were through the roof. Though I'll admit, unlike a lot of other things people are criticizing the game for, Bungie actually did hype the story so live by the sword in that regard I guess.

I have no idea what Diablo 3 was about and I don't care but that gameplay was crack.

Destiny didn't take care of business well enough in the same way for me to ignore the story completely.

So when I'm like "this map sucks...this MP game mode needs works...someone ahoulda questioned this design decision" it also allows me to think "....and that story was ass."

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How did Yaiba turn out anyway? Only one in the series that I haven't played.

It's currently 10 dollars new at gamestop so if that doesn't tell you everything you need to know right there it's a good time to find out

I have no idea what Diablo 3 was about and I don't care but that gameplay was crack.

Destiny didn't take care of business well enough in the same way for me to ignore the story completely.

So when I'm like "this map sucks...this MP game mode needs works...someone ahoulda questioned this design decision" it also allows me to think "....and that story was ass."

Word.

AY it's $10 at GS. My friends outside of GAF are mixed on it, and that seems to be the same for GAF when I made that Yaiba thread. Might as well take the leap.

Or I could renew my FFXIV sub and attempt to see if Square Enix will take my fucking money again lmao

Man, I wouldn't buy that shit for no $10. I'd wait for a 4.99 sale; even then I'd probably feel like I got robbed somehow.

Interestingly enough, I can't get enough of Destiny while D3 I played through once and never logged on again.

Maybe it's just the difference in the experiences everyone has had. I leveled in Destiny primarily through PvP and Bounties. Then went back to PvE playing the missions on Lvl 20 Hard and they were fun as hell.

Because otherwise you can't tell an accurate story. The reality of every other player needs to be suspended otherwise narratively it makes no sense to be doing the same exact things that hundreds of thousands of other people are doing. That's also why whenever a major event happens in the story of an MMO, it's never the player that directly caused or accomplished it. It's always an NPC or group of NPC's. It's just not feasible to write a clear story with so many players being unknown variables.

Interestingly enough, I can't get enough of Destiny while D3 I played through once and never logged on again.

Maybe it's just the difference in the experiences everyone has had. I leveled in Destiny primarily through PvP and Bounties. Then went back to PvE playing the missions on Lvl 20 Hard and they were fun as hell.

iqBZmdz0db0kS.gif

Kreed

This is a really really random question for the TV heads/Dave Chappelle fans in the thread (and CSI fans) but I figure someone here might know the answer with so much TV/entertainment knowledge among the regulars.

In the "For What It's Worth" comedy special, Dave Chappelle does a bit where he makes fun of the Kobe Bryant rape case. Below is a quote from the bit where Dave Chappelle says this:

If I could talk to Kobe, I’d say be – “Just relax, you’ll be fine, man.” Because the public is still giving Kobe the benefit of the doubt. He’s one of the few black celebrities that get that. Not cause he’s a celebrity, more because the girl showed up with eight different semens to the investigation. You can’t do that. That’s seven too many. That’s a lot of semen, man. This bitch’s got Noah’s Ark in her panties.

What’s she trying to recreate humanity or something? She’s a collector. She got every unsolved mystery; the answer might be in this girl’s panties. That’s the first place I’d look. OJ’s other glove is in there. Bigfoot’s footprint. Three CSI reruns is in that motherfucker. She’s got the most diabolical drawers ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fc8WN3q4VKs#t=2008

Now, the random question is for the bolded part of the quote. What is the CSI comment in reference to? I've never actually sat and watched a full episode of CSI, so I don't get this reference. Did CSI only reair the same three episodes? Or were there three missing episodes of CSI? Or is it just a stupid statement? Again, really random question, but I can't find the answer on Google and no one in my day to day gets this part either.

Gorillaz

People took a huge shit on all things Diablo 3 for awhile. It was ugly. It wasn't until the updates around the release of the last gen versions when people started liking it

Bungie is probably hoping the same for Destiny

Silky

Banned
I bought D3 day one, $60, and the multitude of issues during the first three weeks and the following balance patches made me say 'fuck this shit'.

Picked up Torchlight 2 and never looked back until recently. Got the console ver. of D3 and while it's a huge improvement over the PC ver...I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to TL2. That and Path of Exile are way better than D3, easily.

I think by the standards of what you call a "story", I don't think Destiny actually has one. There are essentially no characters, no big events, no revelations, nothing. Ghost says something that sounds vaguely important, and then its never followed up again. Its a series of similarly feeling, unconnected events strung along with little rhyme or reason until it just suddenly stops.

And beyond no story, there's no context for the non-story unfolding. Why are we dropped into the world at this particular moment? What is going on that is important for us to do at this point in our history? When we ask what we can do, the Speaker portentously tells us to go kill bad guys. That's it. That's our set up. And it really doesn't evolve any further from there.

Isometric click-spam games just don't grab me. Couldn't get into Path of Exile or Torchlight either. There's nothing wrong with the games, they just didn't interest me.

And no PvP for D3 was a disappointment.

Edit: I should clarify. It wasn't that they didn't interest me but that they didn't hold my interest.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The lore of Destiny doesn't really interest me either because there's nothing really interesting happening in the game to make me care for context.

Just reasons for why I'm shooting aliens with assault rifles in another video game. Nothin really makes me curious for details. I kinda think you have to play that shit before you care enough to read about it.

Trey

lore is outstanding. the story telling is welcome to germany tour bus guide tier lol

Sounds about right. Destiny is more wasted potential and bad presentation than "bad story."

Also, even with its ending, KotOR2 is the best star wars story ever told.

Tell BobbyRoberts I said that, too.

KumaJG

everything about the lore and atmosphere of the game is probably among the best i've ever seen. its the story telling - it isn't offensive, just... its like a pamphlet of a story if there's such a thing.

but if you're really going on about how the story is the make/break of a game then stfu and try and play nier while explaining to everyone why its not the best selling game of all time.

How is Nier btw? I might pick it up.

I honestly can't even follow the story. I just do missions and send text messages during the cutscenes. Always amounts to "some dude told us to do this, we're going there, this is mysterious, and one group or another of those palate swapped Halo enemies are doing some fuck shit. Get em!"

I still enjoy the weapons, the grind and the traversal. Hopefully get into some multiplayer when I get back home and level up some more this week.

Trey

Now, the random question is for the bolded part of the quote. What is the CSI comment in reference to? I've never actually sat and watched a full episode of CSI, so I don't get this reference. Did CSI only reair the same three episodes? Or were there three missing episodes of CSI? Or is it just a stupid statement? Again, really random question, but I can't find the answer on Google and no one in my day to day gets this part either.

Dave is just increasing the hyperbole. He's saying her panties contain the DNA which holds the answer, and therefore intrigue, of three different CSI episodes. Like, three different hour long episodes of a popular crime procedural would have been resolved by the contents of that girl's drawers.

Along with stuff like "unsolved mysteries" and "recreate humanity" Dave is saying that she had a whole lot of different men's semen in her panties.

Kraftwerk

Above average story, shit everything else IMO.

Some of my friends treat Nier as if it is some classic masterpiece. I get that different people enjoy different things; just stating how some folk treat the story as one of the greatest in video games, and not just RPG's. Never understood that.

Kreed

Dave is just increasing the hyperbole. He's saying her panties contain the DNA which holds the answer, and therefore intrigue, of three different CSI episodes. Like, three different hour long episodes of a popular crime procedural would have been resolved by the contents of that girl's drawers.

Along with stuff like "unsolved mysteries" and "recreate humanity" Dave is saying that she had a whole lot of different men's semen in her panties.

Ahhhh...LOL, thank you. I knew that joke would be funnier if I understood that part.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my friends treat Nier as if it is some classic masterpiece. I get that different people enjoy different things; just stating how some folk treat the story as one of the greatest in video games, and not just RPG's. Never understood that.

Nier is just another rare example of the medium being uniquely taken advantage of to convey a story. It uses both replays and even game saves to emotionally resonate with its audience

People using the phrase "greatest" is just a byproduct of there literally being nothing else out there quite like it. Definitely worth being talked about in conversations about game narrative

Slayven

Because otherwise you can't tell an accurate story. The reality of every other player needs to be suspended otherwise narratively it makes no sense to be doing the same exact things that hundreds of thousands of other people are doing. That's also why whenever a major event happens in the story of an MMO, it's never the player that directly caused or accomplished it. It's always an NPC or group of NPC's. It's just not feasible to write a clear story with so many players being unknown variables.
Pretty much, no one wants to be just a nobody among thousands of nobodies.
Path of Exile is too damn slow for me to enjoy. I've been in this starting area slowly trudging through it for what seems like a millennia. Pass on that shit.

A shame. Then again I messed with PS4/XBO during launch and haven't been back since.
That shit is way too dark and depressing. Makes no damn sense. But I see you on that Marvel, I am tempted to buy Rogue thought.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Nier was crap tbh.

I didn't have the patience to play through it myself, but I read someone describing how the story unfolds across all 4 endings.

Even though I don't like the game I could appreciate how creative and compelling telling a story in that way could be. and it's something only possible in an interactive medium like video games.

Pretty incredible what you can pull off when you think outside of the box that is a 15-20 hour single playthrough

Infinite

I would go as far to say that story matters to every kind of game regardless of genre if we understand story as just an element of the game's feedback or experience. There's a reason why people who claim to enjoy fighting games schoff at the site of something like Arcana Heart 3 but are willing to give something like Killer Instinct their time. There's a reason why Bayonetta and Devil May Cry despite being in the same genre and conceptualized by the same person are wholly different experiences from one another. That's because the game's feedback are different. What the game is showing and telling you as you press a button or progress through stage and the story when the game chooses to honor it with cutscenes and dialogue exchanges is apart of this feedback to craft that games very own atmosphere.

Pretty much, no one wants to be just a nobody among thousands of nobodies.

That shit is way too dark and depressing. Makes no damn sense. But I see you on that Marvel, I am tempted to buy Rogue thought.

Yea I'm thinking about getting Rogue, more specifically I need 70 more shards. Sadly, I've needed 70 shards since early August. I haven't been logging on as frequently. I like MH but man I wish the legendaries were better.

Destiny Story spoilers

-ghost revives you cause he senses 'light' in you(?). Not sure how you originally died or how you're revived.

- run into The Fallen/The Hive (honestly can't tell the difference) you kick their ass so bad you are introduced to The Speaker. The Speaker is some dude who Speaks(get it?) for The Traveler until it can speak for itself. The Traveler is a giant orb hovering above earth that made Earth awesome at one point but it ain't shit right now.

- The Speaker says you're good peoples and that maybe you're space AllahMuhammedJesus.

-Go to the moon to track a dead Guardian, hive are there touching shit or something. The Stranger shows up talks some shit but also says some vague shit about you maybe being The Space Obama the universe needs for some change they can believe in. Find dead guardian (ghost doesn't revive him cause why) Hive have some crazy monster and important military figures lamping there. Kill em.

-You go to Venus (honestly can't recall why) some long cut scene happens there's a Queen and her brother giving off some incesty vibes and they offer to help you if you go on a suicide mission for them, you do cause you're the baddest chick (or dude).

-Somehow after that they give you some info that sends you to Mars and for some reason they act like you owe them despite killing ng shit for them for a GPS location while they just sat around...whatever.

-You go to Mars in search of the black guardian (?). Cabal run shit on mars and don't take no nothing from no one. You being there pisses them off. You fight them cause they're in your way(kind of a dick move IMO) and then you defeat the black guardian(?)

-TheSpeaker says you're great, The Stranger thinks you're neat but there's still a lot of fighting left (see:DLC).

Roll credits.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I didn't have the patience to play through it myself, but I read someone describing how the story unfolds across all 4 endings.

Even though I don't like the game I could appreciate how creative and compelling telling a story in that way could be. and it's something only possible in an interactive medium like video games.

Pretty incredible what you can pull off when you think outside of the box that is a 15-20 hour single playthrough

the game actually sucked though.

its not like this was a beyond: two souls endeavor where the focus is the story and nothing but.

Destiny Story spoilers

-ghost revives you cause he senses 'light' in you(?). Not sure how you originally died or how you're revived.

- run into The Fallen/The Hive (honestly can't tell the difference) you kick their ass so bad you are introduced to The Speaker. The Speaker is some dude who Speaks(get it?) for The Traveler until it can speak for itself. The Traveler is a giant orb hovering above earth that made Earth awesome at one point but it ain't shit right now.

- The Speaker says you're good peoples and that maybe you're space AllahMuhammedJesus.

-Go to the moon to track a dead Guardian, hive are there touching shit or something. The Stranger shows up talks some shit but also says some vague shit about you maybe being The Space Obama the universe needs for some change they can believe in. Find dead guardian (ghost doesn't revive him cause why) Hive have some crazy monster and important military figures lamping there. Kill em.

-You go to Venus (honestly can't recall why) some long cut scene happens there's a Queen and her brother giving off some incesty vibes and they offer to help you if you go on a suicide mission for them, you do cause you're the baddest chick (or dude).

-Somehow after that they give you some info that sends you to Mars and for some reason they act like you owe them despite killing ng shit for them for a GPS location while they just sat around...whatever.

-You go to Mars in search of the black guardian (?). Cabal run shit on mars and don't take no nothing from no one. You being there pisses them off. You fight them cause they're in your way(kind of a dick move IMO) and then you defeat the black guardian(?)

-TheSpeaker says you're great, The Stranger thinks you're neat but there's still a lot of fighting left (see:DLC).

Roll credits.

Hot asshole juice of a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom