• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division PC performance thread

ferenz

Banned
The nvidia graphics guide is awesome. There are definitely some settings that can be bumped up with little to no perf impact. There are also some nice "future" settings that will be nice added effects to enable a few years from now, but are super perf intensive right now. It'd a good mix.

I think its pretty safe to say that most configurations running a gtx 970 should get 60fps locked at 1080p on high settings, which look pretty awesome. I'm able to bump a few settings up like hbao+ and maintain the 60fps lock. Pretty happy about it.

Try running some group content with big open area firefights. It drops my fps to ~45 and adds really nasty input latency. Everything else is butter smooth.

Afro

Yeah, the frame pacing seems fixed. Played for 1.5 hours. Dream come true. Lord have mercy. Solid 60fps @ 1080p maxed, around the starting area. 980 Ti / i7 3770. 4K shot:

tomclancysthedivisionpjq26.jpg

LordAmused

Is it running at a normal clock? I've had issues with a driver crash where it technically works but runs at like half speed and so it'll run my card at 99 percent but at like 600hz so nothing runs well.

Reboot fixes it.

I'm going to try and reverse back to 362.00 drivers, cleaning it up with DDU, and see how it goes. I will report here.

What kind of FPS for i7-5820k, 16gb ram, and a 980ti on 1440p? Saw one video where the guy mentioned beta performance was much better than now

Edit: nvm, saw the guide!

So I just found out that Uplay hard locks my PC, not the division. Ran through a multitude of troubleshooting solutions to no result, I can no longer play Far Cry 3 and I had to refund The Division. Serves me right for buying an Ubi game on PC.

Reckheim

The nvidia graphics guide is awesome. There are definitely some settings that can be bumped up with little to no perf impact. There are also some nice "future" settings that will be nice added effects to enable a few years from now, but are super perf intensive right now. It'd a good mix.

I think its pretty safe to say that most configurations running a gtx 970 should get 60fps locked at 1080p on high settings, which look pretty awesome. I'm able to bump a few settings up like hbao+ and maintain the 60fps lock. Pretty happy about it.

That's awesome to hear, i'm gonna be running it on a 970 1080p as well.

I have an option of playing this game using a x360 controller, would you guys recommend playing it with the controller or a keyboard?

Alastor

Anyone here tried to play the game on a low-end rig?

What it needs for 1080p/30 with low settings? Any screens of that config? Are 1GB cards even an option?

I love the aesthetic and the vibe of this, but it probably needs to wait for me to buy a completely new PC.

Afro

Anyone here tried to play the game on a low-end rig?

What it needs for 1080p/30 with low settings? Any screens of that config? Are 1GB cards even an option?

I love the aesthetic and the vibe of this, but it probably needs to wait for me to buy a completely new PC.

Game is worth experiencing on a new rig. My eyeballs themselves are crying tears of joy.

ferenz

Banned
Does anybody know a good mission/area/etc to test for big firefight frame drops? The benchmark is a poor indication of how your rig will handle big firefights, and apparently input is bound far too tightly to fps because even drops to 45-50fps cause massive input lag. I want to test some settings to see what I can lose to keep me at 60fps even in group firefights.

So after reading Andy's guide, I think I'll be maxing everything out @ 1440P with the following exceptions:

Particle details: High
Contact shadows: All Low
Depth of Field: Medium
Lens flare: Off
Particle detail: High
Shadow Quality: High
Temporal Anti-Aliasing: Supersampling
Volumetric Fog: High or Medium

980 Ti @ 1300mhz core / i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD

Hoping to average in the 70s/80s for FPS, and hopefully never drop below 60. Think it's doable?

Just tried this out on my 980ti/I5 4690. Just about exactly averaging 60 fps, I'd say, with some dips below. I get more like 70-80 in indoor areas though.

ASTROID2

So last night the game worked fine but today all I get is a black screen when I boot the game. I also get a "Failed to synchronize achievements with the cloud" thing when I boot the game. And then when the game loads it's just black. I'm on drivers 362.00.

Windows 10
gtx 960
i5 4460

So I started steam in offline mode and now the game works. Whatever.

LordAmused

Is it running at a normal clock? I've had issues with a driver crash where it technically works but runs at like half speed and so it'll run my card at 99 percent but at like 600hz so nothing runs well.

Reboot fixes it.

So I benchmarked the game, here are my results:

tomclancysthedivisionlax8p.jpg

Though when looking at GPU Tweak, my GPU indeed runs at half speed, near 556mhz. What the hell is going on? I've cleaned up my drivers with DDU and reinstalled 362.00...

Again, my config for the new page:

I5 4690
GTX970
16GB RAM
SSD

On Windows 10

Amazing performance. Zero issues. 1080p 60fps with minimal drops to 55. fucking glorious game.

EDIT: Ultra graphics preset, Windows 10. yesterday's drivers. everything is flawless, im in love.

I7 950 @ 4Ghz
GTX 980
8GB RAM
SSD

Truant

I can't really tell the difference between medium and ultra volumetric fog. I mean, it kinda looks different, but I can't tell which looks better.

cyen

I can't really tell the difference between medium and ultra volumetric fog. I mean, it kinda looks different, but I can't tell which looks better.

For me it´s High Shadows vs PCSS, if i didnt know i would say that High was better than PCSS.

Bruzur

Neo Member
Definitely trust in the NVIDIA Performance Guide, fellow Agents.

I made quite a few adjustments to various settings in-accordance with the, "little to no difference" standard, without sacrificing the aesthetics.

I gained 10fps from bumping down a few heavy hitters to High or Very High rather than the predetermined settings for my Titan X SLI + 5960X build.

I'm now averaging 85+ FPS @ 1440p solid, without fluctuation. Even whilst traversing busy areas. In-combat, no less than 75+ FPS. That guide helped tremendously for stabilizing performance.

ZOONAMI

Though when looking at GPU Tweak, my GPU indeed runs at half speed, near 556mhz. What the hell is going on? I've cleaned up my drivers with DDU and reinstalled 362.00...

I5 4690
GTX970
16GB RAM
SSD

On Windows 10

In nvidia control panel select max performance not adaptive for power setting. Try using gpuz or afterburner instead to check clocks. Switch back to adaptive when not gaming or your card will not down clock.

If that doesn't work to get your clocks working correctly I would consider reflashing the bios.

BlazinAm

Really would love to know what performance people are getting while streaming. I captured about an hour with dxtory and the footage came out amazing (minus the audio because of a crash) but there was some serious frame-lag while playing.

Zexen

What is weird about the UHD results? The VRAM appears to be causing the game to stutter unless you have more than 4GB.
Yes stuttering, I totally get that, but to have the same average fps as a 950? Unless I'm mistaken and it's the minimal fps recorded, but I doubt so.

By looking at Dying Light performance (apples to apples goes too) and VRAM usage (can go up to 6GB!), for both 1440p and 2160p the 980 is limited by it's memory pool, yet the performance difference between it and it's Ti variant can be explained by compute power. That's what I think is weird.

IceOrb

R9 Nano
i5 6600K 3.5
16gb DDR4 RAM
Installed on m.2

I'm able to lock to 1080p60 with most things set to Ultra.

Huge improvement over beta performance here.

Game looks fantastic.

Truant

Upgraded to latest beta drivers (nVidia), and now I'm back to Beta-level performance.

I get weird audio drop outs, and super slow texture streaming. Anyone else having these issues?

Corpekata

Banned

I5 4690
GTX970
16GB RAM
SSD

On Windows 10

Have you rebooted your PC recently?

LordAmused

Have you rebooted your PC recently?

Yup, between each The Division launch, I reboot my PC.

Now, I've downloaded Afterburner and took this screenshot. While ingame, the GPU clock goes down to 576MHZ, but when Alt-tabbing to dekstop, it goes back to normal. What the hell is going on?

sanstitre1t8jza.jpg

Korezo

So how is a 980 1fps better than a 970 and 4fps better when both are in sli? The 980 is the worst gpu ever made.

At 1080p:

I don't know how you get a rock solid 60fps.

I get 45-50fps

GTX 970 MSI
i5 6600k
16GB DDR4 ram 2400Mhz.

I have the exact same build; wondering if I should push my i5 6600k to 4.0 GHz (which is fairly mild) and overclocking the GPU to 1500 MHz (core) and 8000 MHz (memory). What is the CPU/GPU utilization in the benchmark?

Corpekata

Banned
Yup, between each The Division launch, I reboot my PC.

Now, I've downloaded Afterburner and took this screenshot. While ingame, the GPU clock goes down to 576MHZ, but when Alt-tabbing to dekstop, it goes back to normal. What the hell is going on?

sanstitre1t8jza.jpg

Are any other games doing this right now? Try launching a few and see just to check.

LordAmused

Are any other games doing this right now? Try launching a few and see just to check.

BF4 just started doing the same thing. Man this is bad.

Between the two red lines is when I was playing BF4. Underlined in yellow is when I alt-tabbed back to desktop. Is this most likely a driver issue?

sanstitre1vblim.jpg

BF4 just started doing the same thing. Man this is bad.

Between the two red lines is when I was playing BF4. Underlined in yellow is when I alt-tabbed back to desktop. Is this most likely a driver issue?

sanstitre1vblim.jpg
Have you monitored your gpu temps?

Maybe it's thermal throttling, broken fan or something?

Try rolling back to previous driver as well.

Really happy with visual quality and performance.
Having 1080p/60fps with no issues.
In game benchmark is 60fps locked.
Slight drops to ~55 when in really crowded and/or many effects/particles on screen areas, but otherwise a super smooth 60fps ride.

Settings (GeForce Experience Optimized Settings with HBAO+ enabled - GFE recommends High but HBAO+ is just too good to pass up):

NBBuKzk.png

Rig:

i5-4670K @ default 3.4GHz
Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
8GB RAM
Playing the Uplay version on Win 10 x64 on 1080p TV with Xbox One Controller
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
Latest GeForce drivers (Division optimized ones)

Well, shit. I should have installed the new Nvidia drivers sooner (if they weren't broken anyway). I was struggling to hit 60fps no matter what settings I chose and most things had to be brought down to medium just to get it there 90% of the time.

Now that I installed the drivers I've bumped everything up to max except volumetric fog which is on high and shadows are on high and not PCSS (or even the higher one). I did knock down streaming distance to 80% and I'll see how that goes, but I am more than happy with these results.

1080p
Gtx 970 OC
i5 4690 3.5ghz.

Really happy with visual quality and performance.
Having 1080p/60fps with no issues.
In game benchmark is 60fps locked.
Slight drops to ~55 when in really crowded and/or many effects/particles on screen areas, but otherwise a super smooth 60fps ride.

Settings (GeForce Experience Optimized Settings with HBAO+ enabled - GFE recommends High but HBAO+ is just too good to pass up):

NBBuKzk.png

Rig:

i5-4670K @ default 3.4GHz
Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
8GB RAM
Playing the Uplay version on Win 10 x64 on 1080p TV with Xbox One Controller
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
Latest GeForce drivers (Division optimized ones)

Wow, I have a GTX 980 Ti and my Optimized settings are worse than yours!

rSAYnBu.png

EDIT: Oh maybe because of my resolution.

LordAmused

Have you monitored your gpu temps?

Maybe it's thermal throttling, broken fan or something?

Try rolling back to previous driver as well.

I rolled back to 361.91, even reinstalled Windows, it still does the same thing. I think my 1year old GTX 970 is done.

I5 4690
GTX970
16GB RAM
SSD

On Windows 10
YOur GPU is not going into 3d mode for some reason. Did you mess with the GPU bios perchance? Also, make sure you have "prefer maximum performance" on in the NVCP and not adaptive performance.

LordAmused

YOur GPU is not going into 3d mode for some reason. Did you mess with the GPU bios perchance? Also, make sure you have "prefer maximum performance" on in the NVCP and not adaptive performance.

That's the thing, I don't even know how to access my GPU Bios, even less mess with it. After I've installed The Division and tried a few settings yesterday night, that's when it started acting up.
Do you think that uninstalling the card from the device manager would likely help?

What about temps?

Temps are good, never going over 65-66.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So i had a lot of FPS drops with my 980 2xSLI on Max settings / 1080p due to the VRAM hitting max all the time.
Turning down Extra Streaming Distance to 50% solved it. However, I am upset that 4GB VRAM are suddenly not enought anymore for 1080p.
Hopefully this is something they can patch, because this setting affects the image quality in the distance significantly.

Lazybob

Neo Member
It's performing around 60fps at 1440p for me with t ambient occlusion at high instead of hbao+, depth of field at medium, AA at low, shadows at high, fog medium, and extra streaming distance and object detail at 70.

specs:
i5 4690k at 4.2ghz
970 sli
16GB RAM

Ran into that stupid black screen thing that needed pressing alt+enter to fix. Also noticed that when I changed and applied new settings It never took effect until I exited the game and re-entered it. At the very least not only didn't I see changes but I was getting the same frame rate no matter what I switched to.

Lazybob

Neo Member
So i had a lot of FPS drops with my 980 2xSLI on Max settings / 1080p due to the VRAM hitting max all the time.
Turning down Extra Streaming Distance to 50% solved it. However, I am upset that 4GB VRAM are suddenly not enought anymore for 1080p.
Hopefully this is something they can patch, because this setting affects the image quality in the distance significantly.

Apparently This game uses as much memory as it can get and we have not choice to lower the quality to use less.It is not an error but rather how the engine works.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Apparently This game uses as much memory as it can get and we have not choice to lower the quality to use less.It is not an error but rather how the engine works.
But should it then not stop utilizing the VRAM and scale back if it is full rather than pushing it further to cause fps drops?
The game seems to consume the VRAM regardless of all the other settings. It's like it is trying to buffer as much as possible without empying.

Lazybob

Neo Member
But should it then not stop utilizing the VRAM and scale back if it is full rather than pushing it further to cause fps drops?
The game seems to consume the VRAM regardless of all the other settings. It's like it is trying to buffer as much as possible without empying.

The only settings that seem to effect it are object detail and extra steaming distance. When I read nvidia's performance guide it seemed to suggest it would use 75% of your Vram at most automatically but that doesn't seem to be the case.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/tom-clancys-the-division-graphics-and-performance-guide

Top Bottom