• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division PC performance thread

I'm getting crashes when running the latest ("fixed") Nvidia drivers. I've now clean-installed the previous stable driver, but I'm still having high CPU usage that is leading to stuttering. The benchmark says the average CPU usage is in the 60s, but my external tracking shows it hitting 100% a lot during the benchmark.

I swear the first couple of days I wasn't getting any stuttering, so I don't know what changed.

980ti (small OC)
4690k @ 4.4Ghz

Reckheim

I tried playing on Ultra but I didnt really notice any difference between that and High. I decided to just run the game at high instead of ultra so that my GFX card doesnt over work itself.

Yeh, i've been getting a very similar performance on ultra and high as well (GTX970). Kind of disappointing, was hoping for solid 60fps on high.

The fataric district is really demanding. Had a locked 60fps with everything on high, details and streaming at 80, SMAA on high, Sun low and volumetric on medium. Dropped to 45-50fps on a gtx 970.

I've had 3 crashes so far. All were due to my system running out of memory (8GB), I think. I checked afterburner after the crashes, and I was hitting pagefile usage peaked at a bit over 8GB of RAM. After closing the game, I had to restart my system to get the memory levels back down to a decent level.

i5 4670k
logitech gaming software
Game launched with uplay, uplay overlay enabled
full screen mode on a 34" ultrawide at 3440x1440 resolution.

CPU and 970 are slightly overclocked, no other games give me issues. One of the crashes asked for me to send a report to the devs, which I did.

Bought 16GB of 2400mhz ddr3 ram, which I'm hoping will either mask this, or fix the issue.

Best of luck to you. I'm sad to say, though, that I have 16GB of high speed RAM, and I am still getting the crashes.

oakenhild

Best of luck to you. I'm sad to say, though, that I have 16GB of high speed RAM, and I am still getting the crashes.

Ouch, I was hoping you only had 8GB of RAM. Welp, at least it should help the other games I play, and it is faster than my existing 1600mhz sticks.

therapist

It's maddening... I've sent plenty of reports as well.

Anyone without crashes have Logitech Gaming Software installed for their Logitech mouse? Or Razer software for their Razer mouse?

I dont have the latest drivers , the beta and the normal one gave me lots of issues.
I have a razer mouse but i dont even have synapse installed so i dont think this helps you.

However i've not had a crash in the game at all , but did have the initial black screen issue upon my first boot ( just alt+enter fixes that )

Phyla

I've had 3 crashes so far. All were due to my system running out of memory (8GB), I think. I checked afterburner after the crashes, and I was hitting pagefile usage peaked at a bit over 8GB of RAM. After closing the game, I had to restart my system to get the memory levels back down to a decent level.

Had issues with crashing due to insufficient memory too. Increased my virtual memory to the sizes recommend by Microsoft (min. 1x RAM size, max. 3x RAM size). No problems after that.

Unrelated: also upgraded from a GTX570 to a R9 390. Windows would not shut down after installing the most recent AMD drivers. I uninstalled the Raptr and Plays.tv clients, which solved the issue. Anyone has an idea what caused the problem?

I dont have the latest drivers , the beta and the normal one gave me lots of issues.
I have a razer mouse but i dont even have synapse installed so i dont think this helps you.

However i've not had a crash in the game at all , but did have the initial black screen issue upon my first boot ( just alt+enter fixes that )

Are you (or anyone else here without crashes) running in fullscreen, windowed, or borderless window mode?

The fataric district is really demanding. Had a locked 60fps with everything on high, details and streaming at 80, SMAA on high, Sun low and volumetric on medium. Dropped to 45-50fps on a gtx 970.
Yeah, I think it's the foilage and trees. They seem to hit the frames wherever they appear in numbers.

Also looking at the 'optimal' settings in GeForce Experiance and it gives me really shitty options for my laptop, virtually Low, even though I have played on my laptop at medium to high settings and getting 45 - 55 fps. Not at all reliable.

So I had the mouse input issue and followed the guide to uninstall and hide the Windows update, and now my PC won't load into Windows. Help.

Redmoon

So I found out my SLI issues was related to Temporal AA being on. Disabling in in the config file along with nvidia inspector tweaks gave positive SLI scaling(was all over the place tho), but it wasnt worth it to see all those jaggies.

In the end I decided it was just best to run off one card for that AA and find the balance which was this (if anyone else want to give this a try I'm posting my settings.)

1x Titan X @ 1500/8000
2560x1440p
3930k @ 4.5

Shadow Quality: High
Spot Shadow Count : High
Spot Shadow Res : Ultra
Contact Shadows : Off
Post FX AA : Off
Temporal AA : Supersampling
Sharpen : 100%
Particle Detail : High
Enable Wind Affected Snow : Yes
Volumetric Fog : Medium
Reflection Quality : High
Local Reflection Quality : Very High
Sub Surface Scattering : Yes
Anisotropic Filtering : 16x
Parallax Mapping : High
Ambient occlusion : NVIDIA HBAO+
Depth of Field : Off
Object Detail : 100%
Extra Streaming Distance : 100%
Chromatic aberration : No
Lens Flare : Yes
Vignette effect : Yes

For those that want to compare with me (and maybe see if I'm even under-performing compared to other 980TI/ Titan X's) I'm at the intersection between Washington Street and Water street and looking/moving around my FPS is 70-100
Benchmark also gave me 75FPS AVG.

Is this how the UI is supposed to look? It's really annoying:

untitled77sfm.png

It's like a weird drop shadow effect.

heringer

Is this game even playable at 30 fps? I didn't see any motion blur options. I tried and boy it feels terrible. I doubt it's this bad on consoles.

Anyway, with my 970 I didn't mess with any settings (only set at 1080p) and the game is fairly consistent at 60 fps, but on more demanding areas it drops to 50-60. In front of the smoke of a burning car it dives to 40's. Does the game gets much more demanding later on? Only played for like a hour.

Is there a guide yet to the more demanding options?

edit: found nvidia guide

edit2: also, my driver right now is 358.91. Should I update it?

Bruzur

Neo Member
Is this game even playable at 30 fps? I didn't see any motion blur options. I tried and boy it feels terrible. I doubt it's this bad on consoles.

Anyway, with my 970 I didn't mess with any settings (only set at 1080p) and the game is fairly consistent at 60 fps, but on more demanding areas it drops to 50-60. In front of the smoke of a burning car it dives to 40's. Does the game gets much more demanding later on? Only played for like a hour.

Just wait until you've ventured into Time Square and start progressing through the main missions... You'll notice some very performance intensive areas.

Frankly, the entire right side of Manhattan is more demanding from what I can tell. The areas almost seem more dense.

I have a Titan X SLI build, with a 5960X, and 32GB of DDR4 RAM... And one area in particular dropped my frames down from the average of 85-90ish (@1440p), to the mid-60's. But that has only happened in
Times Square, after completing a mission that has you turn on the power grid.
Otherwise, it's well-optimized...

Neo_Geo

Banned

You can try limiting to 30fps with RTSS and force Half Refresh Rate VSync in the NVCP. For most games that will give a relatively smooth 33.3ms framteime. Limiting to 30fps with regular Vsync can be pretty nasty sometimes.

I'm getting decent performance in 1080p with a 5820k@4.4Ghz|980Ti@1.43Ghz with Shadows set at PCSS, and object distance streaming at 70%. Few drops from 60fps in the starting areas and first hour or so. Had the weird mouse movement with beeping noise freeze bug on the first run of the game. Since then it's been fine.

EDIT: Definitely update to the latest drivers if you can, should only help for this game.

b0bbyJ03

Hey all, Just bought this game on an impulse. Kind of stupid considering I never bothered looking at this thread but I won't be able to play it until tomorrow and I'd love to be able to just jump in with minimal tweaking. My specs are:

GTX 980
3770K@4.3
Windows 10
16 GB RAM

What do you guys recommend I do for 60 fps (if that is even possible)? what are the most demanding settings, or just settings in general that I should turn down in order to achieve a stable frame rate? is RTSS recommended for this game? anything else helps. Thanks.

holygeesus

Banned
Could someone explain the difference between High and Ultra particle details settings? Andy's guide seems to imply there are the same number of effects on both settings but Ultra has better quality? Is that the gist of it?

Grassy

I've been getting BSOD's with the latest Nvidia drivers, both 364.47 and 346.51 on Windows 10. It happens randomly when I switch SLI on or off, and it's the first time I've had issues like this with Nvidia drivers. I do a full driver delete and custom/clean install every time I update drivers so I know it's not something I've done. It sucks because they fixed the G Sync/SLI/DSR issue with these drivers so I don't really want to roll-back.

The performance in The Division with the 364.51 is really good though, and I've only had one CTD in ~22 hours of game time.

Shane

I've started having an issue where in-game my FPS is locked to 5.

Only resolution is to restart the game.

Seems to be a flip of a coin as to whether it loads locked at 5fps or not.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Khasim

I gave up and limited the framerate to 30 via RTSS and set up half-refresh adaptive Vsync in NCP. No matter which settings I turned down, the game would drop in the most inconvenient moments, like in the middle of a firefight or while entering a new district - it seems the higher level the district, the more power it requires.

Now I'm just playing with locked 30 FPS no matter where I am, with only a couple settings turned down (Shadow quality on High, Particles on Medium, Bokeh on Medium, rest all Ultra).

It sucks since 30FPS doesn't look that great in this game due to the lack of motion blur, but it's still better than random drops from 60 to 30.

3570k @4.2
GTX 970
8GB RAM

I am running a single 670 right now because Sli is broken. Mix med, high settings at 1080p at 30-40fps. 6700k cpu, 16gb ram.

SLI is broken? Hmmmmmmm... That's unfortunate.

A friend of mine and I are considering the game. He has a i7 3770 @ 4.2 Ghz and a 7970. Can any 7970/280X users share their experience and settings?

GReeeeN

Has anyone else found the new NVIDIA drivers completely destroy your FPS?

I went from solid 40-55 previously to now 25-40, most of the time sitting around 30s and big dips

what the hell happened?

2600k @ 4.6
8gb 2333 RAM
GTX 670 OC

If I play on any resolution higher than 1080p, I get a CTD after about 15 minutes of game play. It sucks because I have both an ultrawide monitor and a 4K HDTV, but playing at those native resolutions is a deal breaker. I have the newest drivers and a Quad Titan X setup (I've tried running 2 cards or 3, doesn't seem to matter other than getting worse performance).

Hopey

Has anyone else found the new NVIDIA drivers completely destroy your FPS?

I went from solid 40-55 previously to now 25-40, most of the time sitting around 30s and big dips

what the hell happened?

2600k @ 4.6
8gb 2333 RAM
GTX 670 OC

Something wierd is happening for sure. I am getting 30-40 on high when I use to get a solid 30-40 with PCSS

heringer

I just set everything to ultra and deal with the floating 40-60 framerate. I'm surprised that I'm not seeing any stuttering, so it's good.

leng jai

I just set everything to ultra and deal with the floating 40-60 framerate. I'm surprised that I'm not seeing any stuttering, so it's good.

Basically the same FPS as me. Feels okay even with the fluctuations. Excessive fire really tanks frames though.

Anyone know how I can get the damn game to launch as a proper fullscreen in Windows 10?

Disabling UPlay overlay did it for me. I had to open it and close it one more time after disabling the UPlay overlay to get it to stay permanently.

I'd always get a black screen starting in full screen. So I opened the game, forced it to windowed (alt+enter), changed the setting back to full screen, restarted (because even though it looked full screen it wasn't), and upon restart without UPlay I've been golden ever since.

Hawk269

If I play on any resolution higher than 1080p, I get a CTD after about 15 minutes of game play. It sucks because I have both an ultrawide monitor and a 4K HDTV, but playing at those native resolutions is a deal breaker. I have the newest drivers and a Quad Titan X setup (I've tried running 2 cards or 3, doesn't seem to matter other than getting worse performance).

I have a 2 Titan X set up and am having Zero issues playing at 4k. Even when I drop to 1080p to test settings and just to look at it and compare, it has been no issues at all. I know someone said SLI is broken, what is broken actually? Is it just poor scaling? In order for me to get consistent 60fps, I do have to turn down a few things, which I rather not, but not sure if SLI is just poorly implemented and in the near future we will be better scalability and I would be able to turn things up?

Shane

I've started having an issue where in-game my FPS is locked to 5.

Only resolution is to restart the game.

Seems to be a flip of a coin as to whether it loads locked at 5fps or not.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

So I had this issue again last night. Scrolling through the menu was horrid due to the input lag. So I moved my mouse over to Options. Clicked on it. My framerate shot up from 5 to 50, then settled back down to 30.

Issue didn't come back.

I wonder if it's something to do with using a 360 controller. That makes no sense but it's the only thing I changed...

beast

Neo Member
Are the shadows from spotlights,halogen lights etc.. showing a little bit pixelated even on ultta settings?

Iced

Just fired up The Division for the first time. I'm noticing horizontal mouse movement causes stuttering. This was an issue in GTAV on PC, and was solved by changing a mouse setting (can't remember which, but the options were direct, raw, and Windows). Has anyone else noticed this? The stuttering is not present when I am simply walking forward, or looking up and down. I can't play until I resolve this issue because it's REALLY distracting!

FYI (in case this info is relevant): I have the game locked to 30 FPS using RTSS, and have 1/2 refresh rate enabled for vsync in Nvidia Inspecter. Ran the benchmark and it never dipped below 30.

ramshot

Just fired up The Division for the first time. I'm noticing horizontal mouse movement causes stuttering. This was an issue in GTAV on PC, and was solved by changing a mouse setting (can't remember which, but the options were direct, raw, and Windows). Has anyone else noticed this? I can't play until I resolve this issue because it's REALLY distracting!

FYI (in case this info is relevant): I have the game locked to 30 FPS using RTSS, and have 1/2 refresh rate enabled for vsync in Nvidia Inspecter. Ran the benchmark and it never dipped below 30.

Make sure you are running in Fullscreen, not Windowed Fullscreen. For me the game has a habit of resetting to Windowed Fullscreen every now and then, I've yet to understand exactly why and when.

Anyway, Fullscreen runs like a champ for me with the proper settings. Windowed Fullscreen on the other hand displays a clear stutter when turning the camera, at least in some locations.

heringer

Just fired up The Division for the first time. I'm noticing horizontal mouse movement causes stuttering. This was an issue in GTAV on PC, and was solved by changing a mouse setting (can't remember which, but the options were direct, raw, and Windows). Has anyone else noticed this? The stuttering is not present when I am simply walking forward, or looking up and down. I can't play until I resolve this issue because it's REALLY distracting!

Yep. Basically why the game is unplayable at 30 fps for me. The mouse stuttering is unbearable. At higher framerates it's smooth.

CHC

I'm on a GTX 780, 2500k at 4.2 Ghz, with 8 GB RAM. Playing at 1080p.

I went back and forth a lot with the settings. I can either get Medium at 60 FPS or Ultra at 30. Took a while to experiment with both but I'm just locking to 30 and enjoying the visuals on Ultra for now. Not too bad with a gamepad.

Nvidia adaptive half-refresh definitely provides a smoother limiter but does it add input lag? I can't tell if I'm crazy but there seems to be a slight delay on button presses when I use it....

heringer

Ugh. Really? I can't achieve 60fps with my 780, which is why I dropped it down to 30fps.

Yeah, my 970 can't get a locked 60 either.

I'm playing at 40-60 and there's no stuttering, though. It feels much better than locking at 30. I susually don't want to deal with floating framerate, but for some reason it feels smooth in this game.

Shane

I'm still getting 100% CPU usage all the time, with occasional crashes to desktop. Is it an overclocking issue? I have a 4690k @ 4.4Ghz.

Probably not related but just in case:

Is Windows running Superfetch and/or Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) at the same time (in Task Manager)?

I caught mine doing that with The Division and causing high usage.

Probably not related but just in case:

Is Windows running Superfetch and/or Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) at the same time (in Task Manager)?

I caught mine doing that with The Division and causing high usage.
Hm, I'll check for that tonight. I did catch a Windows Defender process using 30% CPU for no apparent reason, but my issue in the game has persisted since fixing that.

Top Bottom