• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division PC performance thread

Iced

Make sure you are running in Fullscreen, not Windowed Fullscreen. For me the game has a habit of resetting to Windowed Fullscreen every now and then, I've yet to understand exactly why and when.

Anyway, Fullscreen runs like a champ for me with the proper settings. Windowed Fullscreen on the other hand displays a clear stutter when turning the camera, at least in some locations.

Strange that I'm getting the behaviour you experience in windowed fullscreen while I'm running in fullscreen. I suppose I'll have to try windowed fullscreen tonight and see if the problem goes away!

Edit: An article on Kotaku says disabling the UPlay in-game overlay can help resolve some stuttering and mouse input issues. Gonna give it a try tonight.

Vitor711

Hey all, Just bought this game on an impulse. Kind of stupid considering I never bothered looking at this thread but I won't be able to play it until tomorrow and I'd love to be able to just jump in with minimal tweaking. My specs are:

GTX 980
3770K@4.3
Windows 10
16 GB RAM

What do you guys recommend I do for 60 fps (if that is even possible)? what are the most demanding settings, or just settings in general that I should turn down in order to achieve a stable frame rate? is RTSS recommended for this game? anything else helps. Thanks.

60FPS is easy at 1080.

At 1440p, it's a bit more of a stretch.

I use the latter, just turn everything to Medium and it'll look great (minus parallax mapping on high). AF maxed out as usual. I also have both extra streaming distance sliders at 100% and never see any pop-in. My game drops to the 50s during hectic firefights but I have G-Sync so it's only slightly noticeable.

You don't need any AA for 1440p as the IQ is pretty clean already. Might be different at 1080 but that'll effect performance more.

I have a 2 Titan X set up and am having Zero issues playing at 4k. Even when I drop to 1080p to test settings and just to look at it and compare, it has been no issues at all. I know someone said SLI is broken, what is broken actually? Is it just poor scaling? In order for me to get consistent 60fps, I do have to turn down a few things, which I rather not, but not sure if SLI is just poorly implemented and in the near future we will be better scalability and I would be able to turn things up?

I find it hard to believe that you have no issues playing at 4K. Even with 4 Titan X's, the game fps drops significantly in some areas. Sure, you could lock it at 30fps, but what's the fun in that?

Iced

Yep. Basically why the game is unplayable at 30 fps for me. The mouse stuttering is unbearable. At higher framerates it's smooth.

So yeah, I think limiting the frame rate in this game is the culprit.

Fired up the game without RTSS limiting the game to 30fps, and the jerky horizontal camera movement was eliminated. Used the in-game fps limiter and selected 30, and the camera movement got jerky again.

I really hope this can be patched. I don't mind playing a game at 30fps, but I cannot stand an inconsistent frame rate.

Edit: Interesting. The problem goes away entirely when I use a gamepad.

M2C3

Neo Member
Received my RMA Asus z170 Deluxe mobo today and I'm finally showing x8 in the top slot. Had a busted mobo for 7 months lol. Fired up this beautiful game and was getting 70 to 85 in the first spots with the Auto Detect settings at 1440p. Decided to OC my 980 Ti's to 1455 mhz to get some extra frames and was getting anywhere from 85 to 110 in Manhattan. Utterly beautiful game when the fog rolled in. I'm having a blast with it.

Dreadr

Banned
It runs buttery smooth > 60fps (I use frame limiter) on Ultra, on my GTX980Ti at 1080p. At 3840x2160, it doesn't even get beyond 40 on low settings. Need some serious new GPU, come on nVidia!

Just fired up The Division for the first time. I'm noticing horizontal mouse movement causes stuttering. This was an issue in GTAV on PC, and was solved by changing a mouse setting (can't remember which, but the options were direct, raw, and Windows). Has anyone else noticed this? The stuttering is not present when I am simply walking forward, or looking up and down. I can't play until I resolve this issue because it's REALLY distracting!

FYI (in case this info is relevant): I have the game locked to 30 FPS using RTSS, and have 1/2 refresh rate enabled for vsync in Nvidia Inspecter. Ran the benchmark and it never dipped below 30.

It did this for me when I tampered with mouse smoothing in the settings. Im always looking tobshut off hardware acceleration, etc. and since I have a fairly high dpi mouse put smoothing to 0. That is what ended up causing me the horiz stuttering even at 60ish fps on gsync. Put it back to stock smothing % and was gone.

Alexious

It runs buttery smooth > 60fps (I use frame limiter) on Ultra, on my GTX980Ti at 1080p. At 3840x2160, it doesn't even get beyond 40 on low settings. Need some serious new GPU, come on nVidia!

I hear you. Not even my 980Ti SLI is good enough.

Jin

The game crashes for me constantly when I OC my DDR4 ram to 3000mhz (it's rated at that speed). Dropping it down to 2888 makes it stable. Very strange it's the first game I've encounter that does this.

Jimrpg

My specs are

i5-4690k (stock)
Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 (stock) (I think its clocked at 1200mhz?)
16gb Ram
1440p G-Sync

I had it set to ultra and was getting about 20fps. Moved everything to high and got about 40fps. Moved some of the shadow settings to medium and got between 45-50fps. With G-Sync it feels good enough to play, though it would have been nice to hit 60fps.

There are a lot of options to mess with, which are the most demanding with the least noticeable benefit? (i know that is a very subjective question).

I'm running a 780Ti SLI rig with an OC4770k @4.4, CPU and 16gb ram at 1440p (g-sync).

With everything cranked up i'm getting as low as 20fps in some places. I'd like to try and get that up to 40 (which is very playable for me with this type of game).

I'd like to keep HBAO+ on if possible.

mintyice

Which settings are the most taxing? I read the Nvidia guide and I'm using a mix between medium and high with GTX 760 and averaging low to mid 40s fps with occasional dips to mid 30s, but then scenes where its a good 50-60fps. I'd like to get a solid 60 ideally without running on all low.

Ulysses 31

Which settings are the most taxing? I read the Nvidia guide and I'm using a mix between medium and high with GTX 760 and averaging low to mid 40s fps with occasional dips to mid 30s, but then scenes where its a good 50-60fps. I'd like to get a solid 60 ideally without running on all low.

Volumetric smoke and shadow quality I'd say.

Iced

It did this for me when I tampered with mouse smoothing in the settings. Im always looking tobshut off hardware acceleration, etc. and since I have a fairly high dpi mouse put smoothing to 0. That is what ended up causing me the horiz stuttering even at 60ish fps on gsync. Put it back to stock smothing % and was gone.

Gave this a try just now. I believe it was set to 5 by default, so I turned it to 5 and the problem persists.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah it's independent of v-sync. My FPS was hovering in the mid-40s so I capped it to 30 to avoid fluctuations.

I will have to look into it as my 980ti is not dropping below 60 at all but I'm wondering if it is working beyond that FPS as I have the limiter off but vsync on. No point it working harder than it needs too. I guess there is no drawback to this?

I will have to look into it as my 980ti is not dropping below 60 at all but I'm wondering if it is working beyond that FPS as I have the limiter off but vsync on. No point it working harder than it needs too. I guess there is no drawback to this?

Well if you have vsync enabled and you are on a 60 hz monitor there really is no need to limit your framerate to 60 unless there is some vsync issue you are running into, vsync is capping your framerate to your monitors refresh rate anyway.

I am playing at pretty much locked 60fps, with everything on high, volumetric fog on medium and DoF off. 80% Detail and Streaming Distance. 1080p.

i5 6600k
16GB ddr4 2400Mhz
GTX 970

b0bbyJ03

I automatically put it on 0% and didnt even think about it but i hate how choppy the mouse movements are. What was the stock setting? anyone want to recommend a specific setting or is the stock good and are there any trade offs to putting this setting up? also, do you guys recommend using RTSS for better frame pacing and frame limitting? does it help in this game

CHC

I would probably leave it off unless you're getting tearing, I can't imagine that your GPU is being appreciably overworked if it isn't going above 60.

Vitor711

So yeah, I think limiting the frame rate in this game is the culprit.

Fired up the game without RTSS limiting the game to 30fps, and the jerky horizontal camera movement was eliminated. Used the in-game fps limiter and selected 30, and the camera movement got jerky again.

I really hope this can be patched. I don't mind playing a game at 30fps, but I cannot stand an inconsistent frame rate.

Edit: Interesting. The problem goes away entirely when I use a gamepad.

Yeah, when this game drops to 50FPS I notice even with G-Sync on. I think it's because I have the FPS limited to 60.

Locking the FPS appears to introduce some micro-stutter. I'm going to try disabling it and see if there's an improvement.

AEdouard

Works at what seems to be a constant 60 fps on my overclocked 970 (about +15% on top of the factory overclock, gets to about stock 980 performance) at 1080p with most settings on high or max with a few demanding ones turned down to medium (like volumetric fog, really made a big difference). It certainly doesn't run at 60 all the time with everything at ultra, as others have said. But it does run well and is beautiful, and does not suffer AT ALL from stuttering, which is even more annoying to me than framerate drops. The Witcher 3 for example was annoying with its slight stuttering despite locked 60 fps.

Did anybody find a working fix for the issue happening after the controller is disconnected? When I get back to the desktop and my Xbox One controller disconnects, the mouse becomes slow and jerky (while making sounds like it's constantly clicking) and it becomes impossible to really click on anything. The only solution seems to be a hard restart of the computer, as restarting it by the ctrl-alt-del menu just goes into an infinite loop. I feel like this game is messing up my PC. (win10, 16 gb ram, MSI gtx 970 Gaming, SSD, Xbox One wireless controller)

holygeesus

Banned
Well if you have vsync enabled and you are on a 60 hz monitor there really is no need to limit your framerate to 60 unless there is some vsync issue you are running into, vsync is capping your framerate to your monitors refresh rate anyway.

I would probably leave it off unless you're getting tearing, I can't imagine that your GPU is being appreciably overworked if it isn't going above 60.

This is where my confusion comes from. I always thought applying vsync meant you weren't going above 60fps period, if on a 60Hz monitor. I game on a Kuro plasma, which I think has some kind of 72Hz mode, which I'm wondering is causing some kind of issue.

When I run the benchmark with just vsync on, I am getting an average framerate of 75fps which I shouldn't be if vsync was operating correctly. It's odd.

b0bbyJ03

Works at what seems to be a constant 60 fps on my overclocked 970 (about +15% on top of the factory overclock, gets to about stock 980 performance) at 1080p with most settings on high or max with a few demanding ones turned down to medium (like volumetric fog, really made a big difference). It certainly doesn't run at 60 all the time with everything at ultra, as others have said. But it does run well and is beautiful, and does not suffer AT ALL from stuttering, which is even more annoying to me than framerate drops. The Witcher 3 for example was annoying with its slight stuttering despite locked 60 fps.

Did anybody find a working fix for the issue happening after the controller is disconnected? When I get back to the desktop and my Xbox One controller disconnects, the mouse becomes slow and jerky (while making sounds like it's constantly clicking) and it becomes impossible to really click on anything. The only solution seems to be a hard restart of the computer, as restarting it by the ctrl-alt-del menu just goes into an infinite loop. I feel like this game is messing up my PC. (win10, 16 gb ram, MSI gtx 970 Gaming, SSD, Xbox One wireless controller)

I have the same problem. I'd like to know as well. Stopped playing with the controller for this reason and have been using the mouse. if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to overclock your card and was it difficult/time consuming?

I have the same problem. I'd like to know as well. Stopped playing with the controller for this reason and have been using the mouse. if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to overclock your card and was it difficult/time consuming?

Had the exact same issue. Win 10 & XB1 controller.
Last Windows Update caused this, more specifically updates KB3140743 and KB3140768.
One of them totally messed up Xinput with regards to XB1 controller (X360 seems to be unaffected) and mouse.
There's no cure for now other than manually removing the two updates and blocking them from Windows update until a fix arrives. :(

For more info, go here:
http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42753-random-mouse-lagging-beeping.html

CHC

I'm really agonized about which settings to continue with:

30 FPS at Ultra
60 FPS at Medium

Some games feel fine at 30 FPS but this one feels really, really sluggish. I've tried locking it with the in-game options, as well as with NVidia Inspector, but I can't get a good, smooth feeling 30. Anyone had success getting a tolerably smooth feeling 30 FPS using other methods?

AEdouard

Oh no gpu overclocking is very easy and quite idiot (aka myself) proof nowadays. I use Afterburner, which is very user friendly. The worst you could do (99.999% of the time) is make your game crash with an overzealous overclock. There are plenty of resources on the web giving you the basics, but from memory I feel guru3d has some good info on overclocking.

One thing to know is that overclocking capability varies a lot by model and brand. As a general rule nvidia gpus usually have more headroom, with some of them overclocking to 20% on core clock. The 970, if it's the one you have, does overclock pretty well. You can very easily get a 10% boost.

PikkonX

For anyone that installed via the retail DVDs, how much of a patch is left to download before the game can be played? Trying to figure out if I need to start this download at work since my home connection is garbage.

AEdouard

30 FPS at Ultra
60 FPS at Medium

Some games feel fine at 30 FPS but this one feels really, really sluggish. I've tried locking it with the in-game options, as well as with NVidia Inspector, but I can't get a good, smooth feeling 30. Anyone had success getting a tolerably smooth feeling 30 FPS using other methods?

For this game I would go with 60 medium. It still looks very good on medium and during gameplay you would simply not notice anyway. But you would definitly notice the 30 fps.

Iced

30 FPS at Ultra
60 FPS at Medium

Use RTSS to limit the frame rate to 30fps, and set vsync to 1/2 refresh (I do this using Nvidia Inspector, not sure if there's a solution for AMD cards). Set in-game vsync to off, and don't use the in-game frame limiter. Should be all set.

The only drawback I've seen from this so far is I get janky horizontal mouse movement. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet. Playing with a controller is fine though, and it feels perfectly smooth.

CHC

Use RTSS to limit the frame rate to 30fps, and set vsync to 1/2 refresh (I do this using Nvidia Inspector, not sure if there's a solution for AMD cards). Set in-game vsync to off, and don't use the in-game frame limiter. Should be all set.

The only drawback I've seen from this so far is I get janky horizontal mouse movement. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet. Playing with a controller is fine though, and it feels perfectly smooth.

I think I have RTSS installed somewhere on my PC, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Playing with a gamepad so it shouldn't be an issue, but everything I've tried leaves it feeling chuggy and like there is some kind of input lag going on.

I've played Arkham Knight, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher III and a few others at 30 FPS - none of them were particularly unpleasant.

For this game I would go with 60 medium. It still looks very good on medium and during gameplay you would simply not notice anyway. But you would definitly notice the 30 fps.

Yeah it's definitely not bad but as a PC gamer, I find myself staring at the floors and the garbage piles and wishing they looked just a LITTLE bit better!

AEdouard

Yeah it's definitely not bad but as a PC gamer, I find myself staring at the floors and the garbage piles and wishing they looked just a LITTLE bit better!

Bahaha. You and me both. Unfortunately sometimes even when you throw half-refresh rates and the RTSS frame limiter at a game, the 30 fps it produces still feels sluggish. Weird how is works really well with some games and not others. Maybe because of more aggressive motion blur or something.

holygeesus

Banned
Is there any way to make the 360 headset work like it does on a 360 with this game? At the moment, the mic works fine, and although the headset speaker is recognised in Windows 10, all the sound is coming through my speakers rather than having just the team-speak through my head-set as it works by default on the 360/X1.

Any ideas?

b0bbyJ03

Oh no gpu overclocking is very easy and quite idiot (aka myself) proof nowadays. I use Afterburner, which is very user friendly. The worst you could do (99.999% of the time) is make your game crash with an overzealous overclock. There are plenty of resources on the web giving you the basics, but from memory I feel guru3d has some good info on overclocking.

One thing to know is that overclocking capability varies a lot by model and brand. As a general rule nvidia gpus usually have more headroom, with some of them overclocking to 20% on core clock. The 970, if it's the one you have, does overclock pretty well. You can very easily get a 10% boost.

Thanks for the info. I've got a 980 and the game usually sits near 60 fps, with just a few settings down below ultra, but dips down to 55 pretty often. I think an OC should get me over the hump.

AEdouard

Thanks for the info. I've got a 980 and the game usually sits near 60 fps, with just a few settings down below ultra, but dips down to 55 pretty often. I think an OC should get me over the hump.

Sure, the 980 is a very good overclocker. Take a look at a guide specifically for 980s. You'll save some time.

TheBear

Got an i5 4570 and 780 with 8GB RAM running on Ultra, avg between 45-60fps (I think)

What can I turn off to achieve a steady 60fps?

i5 6600k @ 4400
16GB DDR4 @ 3000
7870XT(waiting for 2Ps)

I didn't really try for 60fps my GPU would run at 99% usage with huge dips. Used high preset with bumps to AF, AO, and a few others. I locked fps to 30 and get no dips. Running 50-90% usage and I'm happy.

My bad if already discussed, but has anyone else had an issue of the game randomly loading while in-game and being forced to walk until it's finished?

TheBear

My screen goes dark when I try on my trendy pants and baseball caps. Makes it a bit hard to select the appropriate puffy jacket for my dude

Top Bottom