• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division PC performance thread

Korezo

At 1080p everything maxed I'm hitting a solid 60fps with sli 980ti. Try going to 4k forget it, no chance

Same, when I try 1440p though fps fluctuates too much from 45-60. I think its my oc 4.2ghz 2600k being a huge bottleneck though, because my cpu fans are getting super loud for the 1st time ever.

M_A_C

Got an i5 4570 and 780 with 8GB RAM running on Ultra, avg between 45-60fps (I think)

What can I turn off to achieve a steady 60fps?

I have a 780ti and just use the nvidia GeForce Experience. It's mostly high and med. Looks and runs great (coming from the PS4 version) and I get 60 to 50. I'd sell the PS4 version if I could get any of my friends to convert but they are all pleebs.

Generally I find performance pretty good, though if I want 60fps and I need the shadows at high or even medium (GTX980 i74790k@3.2ghz, 16GBRAM@21333mhz). The only issue I've seen is when buildings are not shrouded in the fog like this -
l2vpeHA.png
That can be off-putting. But generally performance is good

TheBear

I have a 780ti and just use the nvidia GeForce Experience. It's mostly high and med. Looks and runs great (coming from the PS4 version) and I get 60 to 50. I'd sell the PS4 version if I could get any of my friends to convert but they are all pleebs.

I'm actually content with it running around the 45fps mark, if I could get it to that and be stable I would be happy. Tried it at medium and it ran well and actually looked pretty great, but fuck it just looks amazing on Ultra. and the 30fps lock looks like shit

Tendo

Weird issue here. I hadn't played in maybe two days, and yesterday when I went to play via steamlink all my button inputs on my xbox one controller were messed up. Clicking right stick opened my map, start both paused and shot, a was b, etc. Any ideas? I can't seem to fix it.

Meccs

AMD 7950 (GTX 760 equivalent, my card is OC'ed quite a bit though) and i5 4570 @1080p - mostly medium settings, some stuff turned off (lens flare, DoF), some stuff enabled 1x SMAA. Normally running stable 60 fps but can dip down to 55 when entering new areas or if there is a lot of fog. Inside larger outposts it goes down to 50. I take that over PS4@30fps every day.

Doesn't look that great though. Even on High. Also there seems to be Chromatic Aberration on objects even if you disable it. It's like you're drunk. No idea how to get rid of it. I hate it.

tioslash

AMD 7950 (GTX 760 equivalent, my card is OC'ed quite a bit though) and i5 4570 @1080p - mostly medium settings, some stuff turned off (lens flare, DoF), some stuff enabled 1x SMAA. Normally running stable 60 fps but can dip down to 55 when entering new areas or if there is a lot of fog. Inside larger outposts it goes down to 50. I take that over PS4@30fps every day.

Doesn't look that great though. Even on High. Also there seems to be Chromatic Aberration on objects even if you disable it. It's like you're drunk. No idea how to get rid of it. I hate it.

So 50 fps is the lower you saw? Even during large battles? I have a 760 OC'ed and a 4670k also OC'ed and at Medium settings @1080p I never get close to 60fps and always hovers between 40-45 with dips to 35 or even less during large encounters. Even if I turn everything down to Low I can´t maintain 50 at all times.

My GPU underperforms quite often when I compare to other people´s similar hardware. :/

Apologies but a fairly noob question here. I just got a new PC and the division is my first game on it.

It started itself in 4k resolution on ultra settings..do games do any autotesting of settings before they launch? Or do they just start very high and expect you to bump them down?

It's a new i5 processor, 16gb ram and a 980. It was connected to a 4k TV so I'm not sure if that determined it. Surprised it started on ultra though...

Corpekata

Banned
Apologies but a fairly noob question here. I just got a new PC and the division is my first game on it.

It started itself in 4k resolution on ultra settings..do games do any autotesting of settings before they launch? Or do they just start very high and expect you to bump them down?

It's a new i5 processor, 16gb ram and a 980. It was connected to a 4k TV so I'm not sure if that determined it. Surprised it started on ultra though...

Ubisoft is annoying about it sometimes. It was especially bad in the recent Asscreed which jumps right into a cinematic, doesn't let you choose options. So go to see a lovely 5k intro at like 10 FPS.

PC developers really need to let people pick options before starting a game, even if they think it looks cool to jump right in.

Typically games will always start in either native res or highest allowed if you've got DSR enabled. Settings wise, it seems like they have profile often, but the're basic. So it'll see a 980 and go Ultra, not considering the 4k aspect.

Ubisoft is annoying about it sometimes. It was especially bad in the recent Asscreed which jumps right into a cinematic, doesn't let you choose options. So go to see a lovely 5k intro at like 10 FPS.

PC developers really need to let people pick options before starting a game, even if they think it looks cool to jump right in.

Typically games will always start in either native res or highest allowed if you've got DSR enabled. Settings wise, it seems like they have profile often, but the're basic. So it'll see a 980 and go Ultra, not considering the 4k aspect.

Cool that makes sense - thanks. The weird thing was it seemed to work OK, the cut scenes were fine. I ran around in the starting Brooklyn area and it was completely playable, but just felt a little ...odd.

Then I got to some smoke and I could see some lag as I started rotating the view. I always like to have a rummage on settings and then saw it was on 4k by 3k and ultra.

I have left it on 1080p ultra for now (as I don't really know what I'm doing) but I'll read through this thread and see where people are going with their settings.

Edit - tons of useful stuff in the OP - thanks for that!

I loved the game in both the betas, and it was really cool to actually see the start of the game for once! :)

Maybe this is a better place to ask.

Is there any way to disable the game from automatically detecting controllers? I have a flightstick, throttle and pedals plugged in and unplugging them each time I want to play is kind of a pain in the ass, since I have to get on my hands and knees and identify those usb cables and unplug them, then do the reverse when I want to use them.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
I really want to buy this game, but im not sure my rig van handle it properly.

I have:

i7 2600
16Gb RAM
OC R9 280X Gaming

Can someone shed a light on what to expect performance wise?

dr_rus

Generally I find performance pretty good, though if I want 60fps and I need the shadows at high or even medium (GTX980 i74790k@3.2ghz, 16GBRAM@21333mhz). The only issue I've seen is when buildings are not shrouded in the fog like this -

That's strange. Are you running on the latest drivers?

holygeesus

Banned
Wow encountered my very first bit of stutter today. I guess certain areas of the map are just more demanding than others - Stuyvesant. Anyone else notice this?

prodygee

Neo Member

This happens to me too on 780 SLI. It only happens to this specific building (haven't seen any other myself that had this)
I hoped this update would have something on SLI, but I guess not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe this is a better place to ask.

Is there any way to disable the game from automatically detecting controllers? I have a flightstick, throttle and pedals plugged in and unplugging them each time I want to play is kind of a pain in the ass, since I have to get on my hands and knees and identify those usb cables and unplug them, then do the reverse when I want to use them.

Doesn't the game support on-the-fly switching? If need be, though, you could just disable/re-enable the devices/USB controllers in Device Manager. That's bound to be easier than fiddling with the cables.

CHC

Man after like 20 hours with this game I have to say this is the best fucking anti-aliasing I've seen since MSAA went "out of style." I'm playing at 1080p, which I almost never do, and with SMAA cranked to ultra and the games native Temporal AA, there is almost never a jaggy edge in sight - I really have to hunting to find any aliasing at all.

Pretty amazing stuff, I hope more games pick this up. Just went back to the Witcher III for a few minutes and even with in-game AA, injected SMAA, and a 1440p downsample, there is more aliasing going on than in the Division. Super impressed with it.

Alexious

Same, when I try 1440p though fps fluctuates too much from 45-60. I think its my oc 4.2ghz 2600k being a huge bottleneck though, because my cpu fans are getting super loud for the 1st time ever.

1080P for 980Ti SLI is serious overkill. I can play 1440P smoothly with my Palit Super JetStreams, 16GB RAM, i7 3770 and GSYNC display. Hoping to bump it to 4K with the new Pascal cards.

Man after like 20 hours with this game I have to say this is the best fucking anti-aliasing I've seen since MSAA went "out of style." I'm playing at 1080p, which I almost never do, and with SMAA cranked to ultra and the games native Temporal AA, there is almost never a jaggy edge in sight - I really have to hunting to find any aliasing at all.

Pretty amazing stuff, I hope more games pick this up. Just went back to the Witcher III for a few minutes and even with in-game AA, injected SMAA, and a 1440p downsample, there is more aliasing going on than in the Division. Super impressed with it.

Agreed! Very impressive. Haven't seen anti-aliasing this good since Ryse. And The Witcher III actually has pretty decent anti-aliasing. Rise of the Tomb Raider however is just awful. It's a shame the such a beautiful game has such poor anti-aliasing (unless you go with Super Sampling, which completely destroys your FPS so it's pretty much pointless unless you have SLI 980 Ti's/Titan X's).

CHC

Agreed! Very impressive. Haven't seen anti-aliasing this good since Ryse. And The Witcher III actually has pretty decent anti-aliasing. Rise of the Tomb Raider however is just awful. It's a shame the such a beautiful game has such poor anti-aliasing (unless you go with Super Sampling, which completely destroys your FPS so it's pretty much pointless unless you have SLI 980 Ti's/Titan X's).

Witcher III DID have decent anti-aliasing, which is why I was surprised when I came off playing The Division at native res and noticed that Witcher looked a little crunchy by comparison. The Division's AA is so..... silky.

Witcher III DID have decent anti-aliasing, which is why I was surprised when I came off playing The Division at native res and noticed that Witcher looked a little crunchy by comparison. The Division's AA is so..... silky.

The witcher 3's aa was awful. I dont care what "in house temporal solution" they claim, that shit functioned no better than fxaa

rpg_fan

I really want to buy this game, but im not sure my rig van handle it properly.

I have:

i7 2600
16Gb RAM
OC R9 280X Gaming

Can someone shed a light on what to expect performance wise?

I'm not playing, but my son is using my old rig. It's a i7-870, 8gb, 7870, and he says it plays great @1080p.

holygeesus

Banned
Performance is not as good for me after the patch. I thought it was the new area I was exploring, but even going back to older areas, I am getting drops where I wasn't before *sigh*. Saying that, I sometimes wonder if smoothness is any way related to server side issues, as I had a hell of a problem even getting into a game after said patch.

Rizific

What are some of the more demanding graphical settings? I just upgraded from a 7950 to a 390 and I'm not happy with performance at 1080p. Even with the "high" preset, I'm getting dips into the 40s. It's pretty varied with fps as high as 110+ but it gets pretty noticeable once it starts to get into the 50s.

What are some of the more demanding graphical settings? I just upgraded from a 7950 to a 390 and I'm not happy with performance at 1080p. Even with the "high" preset, I'm getting dips into the 40s. It's pretty varied with fps as high as 110+ but it gets pretty noticeable once it starts to get into the 50s.

Your going to need to use console settings. The DF faceoff lists them

Sullichin

124k DPS (Black Market AK-74) / 89.9k health / 9.7k skill

Is it worth it to lose some health (drop down to like 78k) to boost skill up a bit more with a mod?
edit: wrong thread sorry

Salsa

GTX 680 2GB

i5 2500k at 4.3ghz

8gigs of ram

runs and looks pretty great. pretty steady 60

buuuuuuut

card is straight up JET ENGINE mode

I got a crash to desktop with a display driver error I assume was cause it was getting too hot

turned down lots o things, can't seem to help it

huh

xVodevil

Performance is not as good for me after the patch. I thought it was the new area I was exploring, but even going back to older areas, I am getting drops where I wasn't before *sigh*. Saying that, I sometimes wonder if smoothness is any way related to server side issues, as I had a hell of a problem even getting into a game after said patch.

Yeah, somethings not right... I didn't have any problems till now, but now here and there some crazy stutter mostly when action starts...

daxy

I have my settings to the high preset (1080p) with some other stuff turned up (shadow detail to high though, rather than PCSS or that other crazy thing). Getting my VRAM maxed out according to MSI Afterburner, although it starts out initially at around 2500-2900. Is there a leak here or should I be dropping some settings to avoid that from happening? If it's the latter, which would be best? The game crashes intermittently after a while of playing the game, so I'm guessing that might be connected.

Last edited:

Rizific

Your going to need to use console settings. The DF faceoff lists them

Lol,good one.

hehe, he wasnt wrong.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-division-face-off
In terms of the people's choice of graphics cards - the GTX 970 and its Radeon R9 390 equivalent - a more measured approach to settings is required to hit 1080p60 on a regular basis. Here we needed to lower graphical quality close to console settings, with shadows and extra streaming distance being the options that had the most impact on performance. In less demanding scenes a solid 60fps is possible with some spare headroom, but moving into more detailed locations at street level sees frame-rates hit pretty hard, and it's not possible to stay running with the 60fps lock in place.

Unlike the beta, we do actually have an Nvidia game-ready driver for The Division, and it does appear to have had a small impact on the AMD dominance we saw previously, though the overall outlook remains similar - Radeon hardware commands a palpable advantage in indoor scenes, but in really demanding areas, it's much of a muchness. It's worth bearing in mind that the MSI Gaming GTX 970 we used for this test came with a factory overclock in place, though we lowered the core frequency to match the stock Nvidia configuration. Overclocking really pushes things on here, and that's not really an avenue available to R9 390 owners.

seems like DF encountered the same things as me. i didnt try messing with the shadows and streaming distances though, ill try when i get home from work. however, DF doesnt exactly list what the console equivalent settings are, just that shadows and streaming distance had the most impact on performance.

rtcn63

I booted up the game for the first time only to have the framerates be horrible, even on my older 670. I read through the thread and rolled back the drivers (I'd only updated them recently), and all was proper again. On lowest settings, I get ~60fps in the early areas at 1080p.

It's strange, because I was having sub-30fps issues with some games and and not others- Far Cry Primal ran like normal. So I just though it was the games themselves being buggy.

holygeesus

Banned
Same - patch definitely worsened performance, especially when the action heats up.

I don't know what is going on but I played last night, and performance was pre-patch i.e. just fine. I did log in very fast to the servers, so I do think that their efficiency at the time, does have an impact on how smooth your game is, no matter what setup you have.

Anyone have an issue with the game crashing and then corrupting the .exe? I'm getting tired of deleting the .exe and verifying the files every single time the game crashes. :(

prodygee

Neo Member
There's definitely some kind of memory leak going on (which became more apparent since this update for some) and it's not Windows 10's known leak or something. There's a post going on at reddit about it.

This game has a weird stuttering issue whenever the framerate drops below 60 fps. Is there a solution to that other that lowering the settings?

I don't mind my game dropping a bit below 60 in games but this stuttering is absolutely intolerable

Ulysses 31

This game has a weird stuttering issue whenever the framerate drops below 60 fps. Is there a solution to that other that lowering the settings?

I don't mind my game dropping a bit below 60 in games but this stuttering is absolutely intolerable

Depending on your card, get a G-Sync/FreeSync monitor. >.>

Depending on your card, get a G-Sync/FreeSync monitor. >.>

not an option when im using my 47 inch TV as the main display for my PC : /

Just seems weird, I had to knock the shadows down to High to stop the stuttering with my 980. I just want it to drop frames a couple of frames like every other game that runs with triple buffering: smoothly

zXe

What drivers version are people using? those with Nvidia cards. I'm currently on 362.00 drivers atm.

akileese

What drivers version are people using? those with Nvidia cards. I'm currently on 362.00 drivers atm.

I'm still sitting on 362.00 and all those Windows 10 updates are blocked that jacked up the Xbone controller. I'm having no problems running it and dare I say it even runs good!

Game had been running fine then I got a random CTD while grouped up doing a daily, now every time I launch the game it just hangs on the UBIsoft logo.

Top Bottom