• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back I'm so proud of Bolin. Not a single cringeworthy moment from him during the finale. I was afraid he was gonna pull another sock moment with Kuvira but nope. Kept being awesome

Kc2UZAM.png

Holy shit she's mind raping people!! Yoooo...this must be watched.

Damn good show. This clip is what got me interested in the first place.

Ironically the Justice League barely does anything in the show. But to be fair it is about the sidekicks.

Daemul

Welp, someone linked me to a sub section of 4chan where people were losing their shit over Korrasami, and I made the mistake of wondering off and exploring the site.

Time to go have a bath.

One thing I remembered is that at least the show didn't end as bad as Blue Exorcist did

Well Blue Exorcist as a show was an exercise in mediocrity any way.

"Hey here's our shonen battle series with no actual battles. Also, our characters mope and wallow in self-pity always!"

Lautaro

Well, I guess that's that. My main complaints with the series are the same I had with the first season: wasting villains. I still enjoyed it though.

So... when are we gonna see some Korrasami cosplayers? you know... for science.

It's both, what they present is subtle but there's still not enough to make the relationship feel deserved. Subtlety isn't an excuse to leave things out.

And really, saying it would be worse if it was the same but with Mako or Bolin doesn't count for much except admitting the double standard
Define "enough." Would enough be them professing their love for one another? Kissing? If that's what you wanted to see for it to feel earned, then you are asking for too much of this Nickelodeon cartoon. The fact that they were able to go as far as they did is an impressive feat in of itself.

And I'd say it counts for plenty. Heterosexual relationships are what we often see in television because it is what is accepted all around the world. They are safe. And I dare say they are cliché. How would Mako or Bolin ending up with Korra be progressive, let alone exciting?

Looking back I'm so proud of Bolin. Not a single cringeworthy moment from him during the finale. I was afraid he was gonna pull another sock moment with Kuvira but nope. Kept being awesome

Kc2UZAM.png

Damn good show. This clip is what got me interested in the first place.

Ironically the Justice League barely does anything in the show. But to be fair it is about the sidekicks.
Yo Young Justice sounds pretty well written...why couldn't this guy write Korra?

Daemul

still legit shook at Korrasami

we need some footage from their Spiritual trip

Seriously, the Korrasami thing has completely fucked me up. I was so certain we weren't going to get a single sniff of it and Korra would be on her own in the last scene. I've spent the entire weekend just reading up shit on Korra instead of playing my Xbox. It turns out that Korrasami was the cure to my Destiny addiction this entire time, I have no inclination to play that game now.

Yo Young Justice sounds pretty well written...why couldn't this guy write Korra?

It would have got cancelled in the middle of Book 2 and then the remainder aired sporadically for another year. Weisman is cursed.

Seriously, the Korrasami thing has completely fucked me up. I was so certain we weren't going to get a single sniff at it and Korra would be on her own in the last scene. I've spent the entire weekend just reading up shit on Korra instead of playing my Xbox. It turns out that Korrasami was the cure to my Destiny addiction this entire time, I have no inclination to play that game now.

Exactly the same here. I tried to play some Dragon Age this weekend, but nope. I've just been rewatching the last scene and talking about the show.

Toa TAK

Banned
Seriously, the Korrasami thing has completely fucked me up. I was so certain we weren't going to get a single sniff at it and Korra would be on her own in the last scene. I've spent the entire weekend just reading up shit on Korra instead of playing my Xbox. It turns out that Korrasami was the cure to my Destiny addiction this entire time, I have no inclination to play that game now.

Play Xbox instead. Halo 5 Beta and all.

But now that you say it, since the Korrasami debacle I actually went back to Destiny. Why.

Define "enough." Would enough be them professing their love for one another? Kissing? If that's what you wanted to see for it to feel earned, then you are asking for too much of this Nickelodeon cartoon. The fact that they were able to go as far as they did is an impressive feat in of itself.

And I'd say it counts for plenty. Heterosexual relationships are what we often see in television because it is what is accepted all around the world. They are safe. And I dare say they are cliché. How would Mako or Bolin ending up with Korra be progressive, let alone exciting?
You're not getting me. I'm not saying they need to be overt, I'm saying that we got barely a handful of moments that all together probably don't add up to more than a minute or two of total screen time across four seasons of television. Subtle or not, that doesn't make a romance. I know they aren't allowed to do a lot because of Nick, but they show that there were things they could do, but there was still barely anything tangible by the end.

You're also not getting what I'm saying about the double standard. Yea, hetero relationships are "safe" and "cliche," but just because something is bold and not the "safe" choice doesn't suddenly change the standards it's held to. That's the definition of a double standard.

Kinvara

Mako got screwed so bad though. His ex's have eloped, his lil bro has a girl, and he's stuck babysitting Wu. lol

Mako is fine where he is. He needed to figure out who he was without using a romantic partner as a crutch. Wu isn't going to be king so he's not going to be a bodyguard.

He's going to go back to being a detective because that's what he wanted to do in the first place.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
so i go away for a few hours and we're 600 posts in already?

Chariot

Mako is fine where he is. He needed to figure out who he was without using a romantic partner as a crutch. Wu isn't going to be king so he's not going to be a bodyguard.

He's going to go back to being a detective because that's what he wanted to do in the first place.
Agree. Not everyone need a partner within the story. I am sure Beifong will give Mako her office some day. Maybe even rather soon. She is fairly old already and had to deal with some serious shit in the last years and I like to imagine that she will quit after Republic City is in some shape again and go off to repair her relationship to her family, especially her mother while Mako will be a very good leader of the police force.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
take this smut to pop gaf, zaheer is a decent man and would never do that!!!

Chariot

"Guru Laghima discovered flight when his wife went into the air after he satisfied her so well that she had no earthly desires left."

edit: shit, I am tipping too slow. We're already post scold.

wow how is a homosexual relationship innapropiate at all
Oh I have no problem with it at all. I just like teasing the show. Go through enough of my post history I've made so many sexually inappropriate jokes. The ending just makes it easier to make them, which was the original context behind my comment.

You're not getting me. I'm not saying they need to be overt, I'm saying that we got barely a handful of moments that all together probably don't add up to more than a minute or two of total screen time across four seasons of television. Subtle or not, that doesn't make a romance. I know they aren't allowed to do a lot because of Nick, but they show that there were things they could do, but there was still barely anything tangible by the end.

You're also not getting what I'm saying about the double standard. Yea, hetero relationships are "safe" and "cliche," but just because something is bold and not the "safe" choice doesn't suddenly change the standards it's held to. That's the definition of a double standard.
I'm afraid I'm still not getting you then. What more would you have liked to see to find the relationship convincing? Or did you simply want more time focused on them? In which case it likely would have been more of the same ambiguous buddy-buddy at face value stuff they've shown already.

And calling it a double standard really doesn't fly. That implies that straight and same-sex relationships are treated equally, which, in today's world, is unfortunately not the case. If I were to say, for example, that Korra and Opal together would have been dull and called Korra and Asami exciting and progressive, then we'd have a hell of a double standard.

CDiggity

I get the feeling I would like the ending more if I cared about the characters who are in the relationship.

Asami and Korra are both some of the most mishandled characters I have ever seen.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
For the people not interested in weird fan fic and animated relationships, what do we watch now?

Everyone watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, that way Korra can be the stealth Jojo thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom