• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there is also the fact that watching something and thinking about it after is very different.

When SSJ3 was first shown it was actually a really cool moment. We didn't really care about how it further pushed the gap in power while Goku was doing it.

Also, this is relevant.

213591.jpg
This is what you get for essentially training in a New York Sports Club to defeat people stronger than Mecha Frieza.

Veelk

Banned
People reflect on hype ass fanservice moments the most and those stick with them. This isn't for everyone but yeah.

And not to be rude it sounds like you are saying " if people reflected ore they would realize good story telling is better" they probably reflect all the time, they just don't value you what you value.
They truly don't. This is evident just from how little discussions move toward how those hype moments actually function in narratives vs "man, that was so cool!" People often relive the moment in gifs and such, but that's not a thought reflection, just an artificial recreation of that moment of hype. What I'm talking about requires putting aside your initial thoughts to truly have a reevaluation of the material and examining it from new angles. I'm not saying they'd match my values, but they'd get a greater depth and scope of values like me. Meaning, people would still disagree, but they'd regard the thing they are seeing in a deeper way.

People simply don't think much about things outside their main passions and/or professions. I may be pretty well read in fiction, and psychology, but mathematic enthusiasts and musicians and knitting fanatics will go on and on about all the little details I'm missing in life by not delving deeper into those topics. And they're right, though I'll probably never going to get into those subjects. It's just how life works. Few people go into the nitty-gritty of more than a small fraction of all human endeavors, but there are literally entire worlds that are invisible to us because we don't have the time to learn to see them.

360pages

It's not a bad thing, it's part of the reason why DB is a better told story, But DBZ has far more hype moments. This isn't a bad thing, since I think both series set out to do what they do and do it well enough.

Village

Yamcha already suck, why you gotta kick em while he down?

\

I don't even hate Vegeta. I just don't like how he's sort of put down in the series constantly in order to make Goku look good. I always say that Hiei is a better Vegeta than Vegeta because his story and development his portrayed with lot of care and he's still allowed to be the badass that we all know he is.

I don't think hei really qualifies as vegeta, heck barely if even. But I would agree everyone gets to look cool in yuyu hakusho. Veggie has this thing where everyone compares people to him because they think " rival character must be vegeta " and end it at that, when in actuality characters are more varied. Heck Sega Sonic doesn't actually have a vegeta , but if you ask people they have like 3.

Yamcha already suck, why you gotta kick em while he down?

I don't think hei really qualifies as vegeta, heck barely if even. But I would agree everyone gets to look cool in yuyu hakusho. Veggie has this thing where everyone compares people to him because they think " rival character must be vegeta " and end it at that, when in actuality characters are more varied. Heck Sega Sonic doesn't actually have a vegeta , but if you ask people they have like 3.
I guess I just consider Hiei Vegeta like since they're both short bad boys with attitude with similar hair styles.
Not contesting that at all.
Even Krillin got 18.

You know what One Piece fans, "it's intended for teenage boys" is not and never fucking will be a valid excuse for blatant sexism and no amount of repeating it will make it right. And if a person finds that acceptable and tries to call bullshit on a person arguing against it then that person has issues.

Veelk

Banned
You know what One Piece fans, "it's intended for teenage boys" is not and never fucking will be a valid excuse for blatant sexism and no amount of repeating it will make it right. And if a person finds that acceptable and tries to call bullshit on a person arguing against it then that person has issues.

My favorite part was when the guy tried to compare the issues of minorities to animals representation. That was too obscenely stupid to warrant a explanation, even by my standards. I wanted to be harsher with that derptastic response, but I was trying to behave, as the discussion's civility was hanging by a thread already.

It's been a pleasure guys.

You leaving?

360pages

To be fair, it's a bit more complicated than that, with Target audience and what not. Even shows that aimed towards girls tend to fall into this trap. With having the make cast either not existent or be worthless a lot of time.

I think things like Shonen get pressed on more since they tend to be more popular. Even series like Steven Universe falls into this trap sometimes.

To be fair, it's a bit more complicated than that, with Target audience and what not. Even shows that aimed towards girls tend to fall into this trap. With having the make cast either not existent or be worthless a lot of time.

I think things like Shonen get pressed on more since they tend to be more popular. Even series like Steven Universe falls into this trap sometimes.
Don't worry I saw both your posts regarding it but some of the arguments were Mr Fantastic levels of reaching. It's stuff like that that shows women are inferior to men, they're not and I have no problem looking up to my mother in several ways. Men have plenty of stron role models to look up to in mangas, women don't. So if Sailor Moon jobs Tuxedo Mask I have no problem with that. I do wish it was balanced out better, hell even Outlaw Star did it well since Gene is the weaker combatant compared to Aisha and Suzaka.
It's been a pleasure guys.
Based on what I know about your situation I'm not liking what this means.

360pages

Don't worry I saw both your posts regarding it but some of the arguments were Mr Fantastic levels of reaching. It's stuff like that that shows women are inferior to men, they're not and I have no problem looking up to my mother in several ways. Men have plenty of stron role models to look up to in mangas, women don't. So if Sailor Moon jobs Tuxedo Mask I have no problem with that. I do wish it was balanced out better, hell even Outlaw Star did it well since Gene is the weaker combatant compared to Aisha and Suzaka.
Based on what I know about your situation I'm not liking what this means.

Well it might be a big difference. Since I do think they tend to be better female characters in romance/Shojo's. They are some crappy ones sure, but a lot of them to portray woman fairly well. It's just not as much in the action series.

Which kind of goes back to demographic. While most action series are gender neutral they are mostly for boys. There aren't any real Boy shows. While female shows are almost always targeted to females.

This also goes back in what certain genders look in certain series.

Veelk

Banned

Are you referring to my arguments being reaching?

I'm speaking from anecdotal experience, but growing up, I've never heard any boy say "I really hope I'm like (some fictional woman) one day!" I specifically mean fictional women, because it is an indication of female representation in media. Obviously, real life women are going to be 'fully developed characters' so to speak, and can name real women in my life that I can look up to.

But in shows, I never had a woman I looked up to nor do I know any guy that has until I reached the age of 18. I never even had historical figures to look up to except maybe Rosa Parks, because my history books were filled with what men did. I think it's not reaching at all to say that boys aren't encouraged to have female role models. Even if we have theoretical female characters that do the right thing, I never saw one that was explicitely meant to be someone children ought to emulate.

Not really, just hit rock bottom... questioning even existings and all that jazz. Not going to tell my sob story here, check mental health OT if you must know.

I'm just hungry as all hell right now I can't even think straight.

Are you referring to my arguments being reaching?

I'm speaking from anecdotal experience, but growing up, I've never heard any boy say "I really hope I'm like (some fictional woman) one day!" I specifically mean fictional women, because it is an indication of female representation in media. Obviously, real life women are going to be 'fully developed characters' so to speak, and can name real women in my life that I can look up to.

But in shows, I never had a woman I looked up to nor do I know any guy that has until I reached the age of 18. I never even had historical figures to look up to except maybe Rosa Parks, because my history books were filled with what men did. I think it's not reaching at all to say that boys aren't encouraged to have female role models. Even if we have theoretical female characters that do the right thing, I never saw one that was explicitely meant to be someone children ought to emulate.
Veelk I had no problem with anything you wrote, I took offense to people going like "well it's geared towards teenage boys" and "don't look for a deeper meaning in this" and posts like that. That shit was reaching.

Veelk

Banned
Veelk I had no problem with anything you wrote, I took offense to people going like "well it's geared towards teenage boys" and "don't look for a deeper meaning in this" and posts like that. That shit was reaching.

Oh, okay. I just wasn't sure if you were talking about me or them.

That shit isn't reaching, it's grasping at smoke. There's no substance to that arguement when as much as more than half the fanbase is female.

Oh, okay. I just wasn't sure if you were talking about me or them.

That shit isn't reaching, it's grasping at smoke. There's no substance to that arguement when as much as more than half the fanbase is female.
Those responses don't do anything but sweep the issue under the fucking rug. I hope you write that letter or something cause women deserve to be properly represented too. I love female musicians and female main characters they do tend to be more interesting than the men as well.
Not really, just hit rock bottom... questioning even existings and all that jazz. Not going to tell my sob story here, check mental health OT if you must know.

I did and I'm not liking where it's going. You've been my best friend on here and I hate how life keeps taking away my friends.

360pages

Those responses don't do anything but sweep the issue under the fucking rug. I hope you write that letter or something cause women deserve to be properly represented too. I love female musicians and female main characters they do tend to be more interesting than the men as well.

I did and I'm not liking where it's going. You've been my best friend on here and I hate how life keeps taking away my friends.

When I'm writing I tend to try to make equal male and female representation. I just enjoy it more with a more varied cast. Even if the stories tend to be super slow at times.

When I'm writing I tend to try to make equal male and female representation. I just enjoy it more with a more varied cast. Even if the stories tend to be super slow at times.
I always wrote sarcastic rom coms with witty females in them. They were never dumb or boring, granted I've never tackled action stuff, but it'd be Black Lagoon like with their quality of females.

360pages

I always wrote sarcastic rom coms with witty females in them. They were never dumb or boring, granted I've never tackled action stuff, but it'd be Black Lagoon like with their quality of females.

There was an point where I wrote a lot of female leads, so I decided to branch out a bit to write male leads...if that make sense. I think I've gotten better at characterization. Since when I introduce a character, I ask what this character can bring that another couldn't 40000 words into one of my current projects.

Just...still fixing up spelling and what not.

Trey

Keep your head up, bro. We're here for you.

There was an point where I wrote a lot of female leads, so I decided to branch out a bit to write male leads...if that make sense. I think I've gotten better at characterization. Since when I introduce a character, I ask what this character can bring that another couldn't 40000 words into one of my current projects.

Just...still fixing up spelling and what not.
At least you care enough to make it not one sided. I don't even think I even disclose the race of my lead that often. I do my best to make it pretty open ended. Pretty much in my head the guy can be any race without it making much difference unless I give him traits or habits that link him more to one particular ethnicity.

360pages

At least you care enough to make it not one sided. I don't even think I even disclose the race of my lead that often. I do my best to make it pretty open ended. Pretty much in my head the guy can be any race without it making much difference unless I give him traits or habits that link him more to one particular ethnicity.

Well, thinking about it one of my stories actually have quite a big cast of different characters. I would PM it, but...gah. It's like showing your work in the weirdest way. One hand you want to comb it over, and over again for stuff that's wrong. But you also realize you have to actually show it to someone to get a reaction.

Balalaika is so fucking cool
giphy.gif
Her and Roberta are boss as fuck along with Shenhua. So many bad ass women in that show.
Well, thinking about it one of my stories actually have quite a big cast of different characters. I would PM it, but...gah. It's like showing your work in the weirdest way. One hand you want to comb it over, and over again for stuff that's wrong. But you also realize you have to actually show it to someone to get a reaction.
I read Korra fanfic, I can guarantee you I've seen worse.

Her and Roberta are boss as fuck along with Shenhua. So many bad ass women in that show.
I read Korra fanfic, I can guarantee you I've seen worse.

Roberta's okay. I don't really feel the love for her as much as a lot of the other people, and the OVA series was kinda boring. Best things to come out of that were Fabia and just how scummy and frightening Rock can really be. The rest of it was kinda okay. Decent action sequences that were marred by Roberta being made overpowered as fuck. Breaking machetes with her teeth and shit. And that weird sex scene...Balalaika and Eda. Now those are my girls. Shenhua is cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom