• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys are down now I can definitely start saving as the cost for a flight from here in NC and hotels on average is $1600. More than enough time if I'm frugal

Toa TAK

Banned
ACIII is my favorite AC next to the first one. :(

Then again, I'm a black sheep when it comes to the AC fanbase in general, so...

ACIII is my favorite AC next to the first one. :(

Then again, I'm a black sheep when it comes to the AC fanbase in general, so...
I only liked 2 and 4. The first one put me to sleep, literally and I didn't by any of the yearly expansions of two because I like diversity.

Toa TAK

Banned
I only liked 2 and 4. The first one put me to sleep, literally and I didn't by any of the yearly expansions of two because I like diversity.

I got bored of Italy FAST in AC2, and didn't care much for Brotherhood. It was a godsend to be in Constantinople for ACR, though.

Also got bored in AC4 as well. Sailing the open seas gets old fast.

Daemul

You must. I you let it be forgotten, it will repeat. Take that anger and channel it, so such an atrocity will never happen again.

image.php

I mean, it's not like the end of the second Hobbit movie. Most things are resolved by the end of Season 2 of YJ and the unresolved things are brought up somewhat by the respective characters that concern them.

The main plot of Season 2 is concluded and then that segues into what Season 3 would be about for the last few seconds.

So it doesn't sting so much from the ending but the fact that such a good show as cancled.

Take it from me. I actually liked both Kid Flash and Artemis together. I know what pain is concerning YJ.

Hmm, I might give it a shot then. I'll have to get off my lazy ass first though.

I got bored of Italy FAST in AC2, and didn't care much for Brotherhood. It was a godsend to be in Constantinople for ACR, though.

I didn't even get that far in two. I straight bailed on it after I died while punching some guy off a building in some stupid mission. I punched him off and the game's like "whelp you punched him off while being too close to the edge yourself, so you can follow him down." That was like 4 years ago and I haven't played that game since. I really don't like that franchise at all, hence the two games.

Here is a revised version of my letter. Thanks for the feedback already received. I'll keep revising as long as I keep getting feedback.

Dear Ms. Cyma Zarghami,

In light of the recent conclusion of The Legend of Korra, I felt the need to write to you about the importance of the series and its impact on its viewers, as well as the way it has been treated by Nickelodeon as a whole. I believe that there was much potential missed as the result of the way the series was handled. From information gathered in interviews and blog posts by Mr. Bryan Konietzko and Mr. Michael Dante DiMartino, it is made clear that Nickelodeon never had a clear goal in mind for the series. From the very beginning where the series was in jeopardy of ever being made due to outmoded gendered thinking that boys would not watch a show starring a woman, to the constant shuffling of the show’s timeslot, to the recent moving of the show to online only, and the budget cuts, the impression is made that Nickelodeon at best was unaware of the potential they had, or at worst was acting against the continuation of the show. I choose to believe the former out of goodwill.

In my experience growing up watching Nickelodeon, the network never made any serious attempts at producing or acquiring animated content aimed at older viewers. Despite any original intentions, that is what The Legend of Korra became. The majority of the show’s fanbase were children or young teenagers when Avatar: The Last Airbender first aired in 2005. We grew up with Avatar and Korra matched us by creating characters that were of similar age to ourselves. The recipient audience of Korra was never what was intended. That said the show was never given the proper treatment to match its true audience. An intense, plot-driven show like Korra is amazing to have lasted as long as it did. Both Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra were amazingly well received, even after the latter was removed from television.

The Legend of Korra and the Avatar universe in general was something special, something unique. It created a world free of earthly racial, and gender stereotypes, free of biases on sexual orientation. It tackled issues never done seriously before in “children’s” media; war, genocide, oppression, class struggles, trauma, equality, harmony, and love. It was a refuge for many from a cruel, unkind, and uncaring world. It wasn’t perfect, it wasn’t free from shortcomings in writing, but it was truly a wonder to behold. The end of The Legend of Korra and the reaction to it demonstrates something profound.

In contrast to what I presume is the standard operating procedure of children’s programming, your network allowed Mr. Konietzko and Mr. DiMartino to portray the titular character Korra and her best friend Asami as a romantically involved bisexual couple. This by itself is a momentous event in television, Korra and Asami are the first confirmed on-screen LGBT characters in children’s media. The reaction is even better. Korra has been continually praised by the press and fans for its progressiveness in breaking both gender stereotypes and furthering the representation of LGBT people. I hope the reception to this is encouraging for you and your network. I hope that Nickelodeon will not shy away from portraying LGBT relationships in the same manner that straight relationships are portrayed. 2015 is upon us, gay marriage is legal in over 40 states and in the federal government. The tide has shifted; you and your network have nothing to fear anymore. Korra broke the mold and set you free.

In that respect, I believe it is unwise to allow The Legend of Korra and the Avatar universe in general to end. Whether it continues with more seasons of Korra, television or silver screen movies, or even at the very least in more comic books, Korra deserves to live on. In the short time that it has been on the air, the show has made a tremendous impact on the lives of many of its viewers. In breaking gender stereotypes having the show led by strong women of color, it gave women and girls a role model unlike any other they’ve had before. In breaking the LGBT ceiling, it gives men and women, boys and girls, who live in a world where media tells them that straight is normal and LGBT is abnormal, an example of normality for themselves. I can’t understate how culturally significant this show has been and how much more it could be if it was given another, stronger chance at life. Sometimes the world changes only with small steps, sometimes it needs a big push. Give it that push, bring back Korra.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you take it to heart and see the positive impact The Legend of Korra has made on so many lives.

I actually really like the setting if AC1.

Loved AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations.

Not a fan of 3,4, and I haven't played Unity.

Mononoke

Banned
Unfortunately, I doubt they will care. Because at the end of the day, it's a business. They care about making money and pleasing their share holders. That trumps quality, and any kind of social messaging that show might have (and the potential it has to impact people in a positive way).

I would argue though, that the show had potential to make them money (that it could have been both. That doing both would have actually made them more money). That is where I would focus this on. Say that it meant something to a lot of people, but that it also could have made them money if they had properly supported it (talk about the lack of commercials/advertising. The erratic scheduling. Their failure to re-adjust the time slot after Book 2's numbers were down (not moving it back to Saturday's). Their refusal to do proper merchandise.

That is where you should focus. Because while the other stuff is important, it means jack shit to them. They care about $$$. So if you are going to approach this from an emotional perspective and how these things matter to people, it also needs to have the side of the coin that is about $$$$. They could care less about gender/racial equality.

EDIT: Made a typo. I meant move it back to saturday mornings, not Friday.

Seriously when they announced The Legend of Korra, I imagined young girls (and boys) going nuts for Korra action figures and merchandise and stuff. She seemed so cool and it was awesome to have a girl avatar.

The show had so much potential from both a creative and marketing standpoint but everyone involved dropped the ball.

Afrocious

Seriously when they announced The Legend of Korra, I imagined young girls (and boys) going nuts for Korra action figures and merchandise and stuff. She seemed so cool and it was awesome to have a girl avatar.

The show had so much potential from both a creative and marketing standpoint but everyone involved dropped the ball.

From what I understand, toys for girls are coming under heavy scrutiny finally. Especially around Barbie dolls.

I do recall this line of toys that promoted girls getting into STEM programs. However the big issue with these toys, apparently, was the fact they were this blond haired girl white girl in suspenders, holding a wrench.

*shrug*

Mononoke

Banned

The numbers for Book 1 were strong. Even higher than ATLA's peak. But them shifting it to Saturday was a big mistake. And the fact that they never re-adjusted their scheduling after they saw the drop off, that's really a major misstep. Any network should be fluid, and react to what the audience is telling them.

It's rare to see a network just allow something to keep failing when it previously was a success. IMO that should be a big part of the letter. Like focusing on how Nick did things that made the show less successful. I would hammer home that they had the insane numbers in Book 1 on the Saturday morning time slot, but then they refused to adjust it after clearly the new time slot wasn't working.

Daemul

I feel like an idiot for never posting in the korra threads, since I love the series and now its over.

This is pretty much a Young Justice thread now. So load it up and watch it with us :p

We're also doing a communtiy rewatch of Avatar sometime in the new year, so come and join us as we re live the horror of the love triangle all over again :p

Mononoke

Banned
I think a big problem with Nick is that, they look at the overall demographics that make them money. And that is the demographic they want to push the company moving forward. That's the younger kids demographics. That is where the CEO is moving things for the shareholders. It's the new initiative.

Since Korra is more of an adult show, it no longer fit in with where the company is going. The problem is, they failed to look at the shows Demographics, and cater to it specifically for it. Most adults are busy or are out on Friday nights. Most people are at home Saturday morning. And so not only can adults watch it Saturdays, you also have young kids watching Saturday morning cartoons. It's a one-two punch.

I feel because they were focusing on this other demographic, they lost sight of the demographic attached to Korra. And they stopped doing this that would work with this demographic. But that also is why the numbers kept dropping, and why it kept spiraling the show further and further down.

They really dropped the ball in a big fuckn way, by not re-adjusting that timeslot, and doing a better job working with the shows core demographic. Guess they stopped giving a fuck, since the companies new focus/initiative was on the new demographic.

Mononoke

Banned
I still don't understand the merchandising female characters problem. It's very easy to find Sailor Moon stuff:
SMTradingHeader.jpg

They had Pabu/naga. They had Tenzin. They had Bolin (and lol Mako). Female issues aside (I don't agree that female toys are harder to market, personally)...but even that aside, there was no excuse for not having toys.

Hell, an Amon action figure would have been rad. They should have been doing action figures for each season. I think the issue is, maybe because the shows demographic was for adults, they just figured that it wasn't worth taking the risk making toys. Since younger kids weren't watching the show. Fair enough. But that is no excuse for not having more t-shirts, posters, and other things that appeal to the shows older demographic. They pretty much just ignored the people that were watching this show. REALLY...that is the main issue.

I think that should be what is in that letter, personally. That they ignored the demographic attached to the show. I saw so many people on forums, and reddit. And many places (cons etc.), that were begging for Korra stuff. They wanted posters. They wanted keychains. They wanted t-shirts or hoodies and backpacks. Nick 100% dropped the fuckin ball with merchandising. So toys aside, it was a disgrace.

They had Pabu/naga. They had Tenzin. They had Bolin (and lol Mako). Female issues aside (I don't agree that female toys are harder to market, personally)...but even that aside, there was no excuse for not having toys.

Hell, an Amon action figure would have been rad. They should have been doing action figures for each season. I think the issue is, maybe because the shows demographic was for adults, they just figured that it wasn't worth taking the risk making toys. Since younger kids weren't watching the show. Fair enough. But that is no excuse for not having more t-shirts, posters, and other things that appeal to the shows older demographic. They pretty much just ignored the people that were watching this show. REALLY...that is the main issue.

I think that should be what is in that letter, personally. That they ignored the demographic attached to the show.
That just sounds sexist. I'd buy a Play Arts Kai version of Korra, Kuvira, Ming-Hua, Lin and P'Li so hard.

Afrocious

If Avatar Amiibos existed, this thread would be a lot different.

And a lot more sad.

And terrifying.

*throws Ikki Amiibo preorder on ebay for 80 bucks*

Mononoke

Banned
That just sounds sexist. I'd buy a Play Arts Kai version of Korra, Kuvira, Ming-Hua, Lin and P'Li so hard.

Well yeah it is sexist. I mean, I understand where they are coming from in terms of, boys having issues playing with girl action figures. But that is more of an issue with Society enforcing meaningless gender roles. I doubt young kids that age would give two shits whether the action figure is female or not. Especially when the character has powers and is bad ass.

The problem with any of this stuff, is that people never want to take the risk. But then it's them not taking the risk, which continues the very thing they say is the reason they don't take the risk. It's a never ending cycle. I edited my post to add a bit more. But even if they generally thought the adult demographic doesn't buy toys, they should have then catered to the demographic with merchandise that appeals to that age range. I mean come on. It's common sense yo.

Pein

Banned
This is pretty much a Young Justice thread now. So load it up and watch it with us :p

We're also doing a communtiy rewatch of Avatar sometime in the new year, so come and join us as we re live the horror of the love triangle all over again :p

I already went through withdrawal for young justice not getting a third season so I'm right up there with you guys lol.

Will do a avatar rewatch too.

Mononoke

Banned
I already went through withdrawal for young justice not getting a third season so I'm right up there with you guys lol.

Will do a avatar rewatch too.

Hold off on that. We are making a community Avatar thread (that will be about ATLA and Korra). We will be doing a re-watch of ATLA first (and we will do it like 2-3 episodes a week). And treat it like we are watching it live. And we will comment on episodes in this thread.

Eventually we will work to Korra. So if you missed out on commenting when Korra was live, you will get your chance.

Daemul

So is this Japan thing actually happening? If it is than I wouldn't mind coming along, I've always wanted to go there, and my sister would be so jealous that I went to Japan before her, but she's still a poor student so she'll have to deal with it :p

I would need a save up a bit though, since I'm planning on getting my British Citizenship in the next year or so, and that's going to take a bit of money.

Here is a paragraph on the financial side. Any suggestions for alterations? Also, where would be a good place to have this paragraph in the letter?

Yet, I do understand that Nickelodeon is a business and you are beholden to your shareholders. The world of Avatar has an amazing potential to be both financially successful as well as socially progressive. General convention holds that boys won’t play with female toys, this is untrue. I believe that if properly advertised and properly used, Korra could do well with action figures aimed at both a male and female demographic. Socially progressive toys would be a great press relations boon, as stereotypically gendered toys are coming under intense criticism. As well, higher-end action figures would likely be well received among Korra’s older viewership, not to mention clothing and video games. Also, in changing Korra’s original timeslot the attached demographic, rather than the target, was ignored. Korra should have been given top billing on Saturday mornings, a time when both the target demographic, children, and the attached demographic, teenagers and young adults would be able to tune in. Korra still holds great potential if it can be tapped.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I feel so empty inside with no more Korra, I haven't touched my Xbox in a week and I can't even remember what it was I used to do on Fridays before S4 aired.

Which is actually a very interesting question, what the fuck did I used to do on Friday's before Korra S4 aired? I can't fucking remember. Let get me get out my calendar and try and track back time, because this is worrying lol

lmao

I finally got around listening to the Korra Book 1 commentary since the series has ended, it has been really good as of now. I'm on episode 5 and really started laughing when they're talking about they guy who says hi to Mako being called Mof (Mako's only fan). And for those who want more Korrasami should listen to the commentaries, Janet Varney seems to be a big Asami fan. :p

I finally got around listening to the Korra Book 1 commentary since the series has ended, it has been really good as of now. I'm on episode 5 and really started laughing when they're talking about they guy who says hi to Mako being called Mof (Mako's only fan). And for those who want more Korrasami should listen to the commentaries, Janet Varney seems to be a big Asami fan. :p
Of course, most of it is complied here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg1RnAGncBQ

DedValve

Banned
Hold off on that. We are making a community Avatar thread (that will be about ATLA and Korra). We will be doing a re-watch of ATLA first (and we will do it like 2-3 episodes a week). And treat it like we are watching it live. And we will comment on episodes in this thread.

Eventually we will work to Korra. So if you missed out on commenting when Korra was live, you will get your chance.

Sounds awesome.

Mononoke

Banned
Here is a paragraph on the financial side. Any suggestions for alterations? Also, where would be a good place to have this paragraph in the letter?

Good stuff. I still think you should criticize them for how they handled the show overall. In terms of, not adjusting the time slot after it failed on Fridays. I would just point out the hard numbers in Book 1. How successful it was. Then how it tanked on Saturdays (and they didn't adjust the time slot. They left it there. And how Saturdays worked for the adult demographic, as well as the kid demographic. That friday's didn't work).

I would approach it from the perspective that, it could have been successful for them financially, if only they had catered to the shows demographic (the time slot, the lack of having merchandise for that age range, like clothing, posters, books, pens, backpacks etc.). Basically their complete lack of support, is what led the show not be financially successful. Since they only care about $$$, it's really the only thing that would make them re-think what they are doing IMO.

Wait I'm confused. Why are you trying to help Nick again?

Despite their fuckups, why not help Bryke?

lol. Well, if you are going to criticize them, you should at least explain why they failed on a financial level, and how they COULD have made money. That the show failed financially, was on them, for not supporting it. And you do this by pointing out all their missteps. I think, the reason you do this is because...they won't give a damn about your criticism unless you tell them about how the show could have made money. If you only focus on like how positive Korra was for people, why should they give a damn.

They only care about $$$ and pleasing their shareholders. They don't give two shits about social messaging, or the impact this show had on peoples lives.

She's, like, Korrasami's biggest shipper.

Also, SG-17, I like the letter. Though I can't really say anything to add or improve on. I've personally never written to a business before.
Neither have I. I'm just spitballing here. My historical writing training does not really help me here.

DedValve

Banned
seriously if nick made a korrasami backpack they could easily fund all of book 5 based on the sales of that alone.

I'm exaggerating of course, they probably need to make korrasami socks to help fully fund book 5.

Well yeah it is sexist. I mean, I understand where they are coming from in terms of, boys having issues playing with girl action figures. But that is more of an issue with Society enforcing meaningless gender roles. I doubt young kids that age would give two shits whether the action figure is female or not. Especially when the character has powers and is bad ass.

The problem with any of this stuff, is that people never want to take the risk. But then it's them not taking the risk, when continues the very think they say is the reason they don't take the risk. It's a never ending cycle. I edited my post to add a bit more. But even if they generally thought the adult demographic doesn't buy toys, they should have then catered to the demographic with merchandise that appeals to that age range. I mean come on. It's common sense yo.
Though it's sad how you can get all that cool shit in Japan regarding female figures.

Mononoke

Banned
seriously if nick made a korrasami backpack they could easily fund all of book 5 based on the sales of that alone.

I'm exaggerating of course, they probably need to make korrasami socks to help fully fund book 5.

There was no excuse for the merchandising. Again, if they didn't want toys because the age demographic was older, where the fuck were the backpacks, shirts, hoodies, keychains, posters, pens etc. Nick basically didn't give a shit about this shows demographics and it shows.

They didn't give a fuck about the timeslot. Didn't give a fuck about the merchandising.

Then they complain when the shows ratings drop or doesn't do well financially. Gee I wonder why. I bet Nick right now thinks its the shows fault that it didn't do well $$$ wise. In their heads, they think it just proves their belief that the $$$ is in the younger demographics (the direction they are going). They have their heads so far up their own ass, they don't realize they tanked their own show and ruined its chances of being financially successful. But in their minds, its the older demographic/mature show that was to blame.

I'm sure Nick would have held focus groups to test merchandise and all that which led them to their conclusions.

I'll never understand the switch in timeslot to Friday though.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm sure Nick would have held focus groups to test merchandise and all that which led them to their conclusions.

I'll never understand the switch in timeslot to Friday though.

Maybe with toys. But I find it hard to believe that young adults and adults didn't want posters or like very basic things that that demographic usually buys. I mean, the world of Avatar has a lot of cool imagery to it. I can't believe the majority didn't want like at least posters and shit.

Yeah the timeslot stuff was inexcusable. Even if they had focus tests, or reasons for making that switch, the minute it started failing and bleeding numbers at massive rate, they should have pulled the show from scheduling for a week or two, and re-launched the show at a new timeslot with advertising for it. Every network does it. It's apart of running a damn network. Insane they refused to change that back, and did nothing.

DedValve

Banned
There was no excuse for the merchandising. Again, if they didn't want toys because the age demographic was older, where the fuck were the backpacks, shirts, hoodies, keychains, posters, pens etc.

You know what else older demographics enjoy to buy? It's this silly little toy called MUSIC. OSTS. SOUNDTRACKS. CDS. SOUND OF ANY KIND.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
This whole thing reminds of Invader Zim, Nick pushing a teenager series on air and then going crazy over it not resonating with kids even though the intended demographic was crazy over the show. And then in 10 years we'll see Korrasami shirts on Hot Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom