• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an unbreakable item for each category. I cant see stuff like the Master Sword or an iconic item like the megaton hammer (This isn't a spoiler, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical "super" hammer weapon) ever breaking.

That would make sense. Or the ability to easily repair them plus a huge durability bar.

pmunk

perhaps not the thread to ask in, but for someone entirely new to nintendo consoles and zelda games, is there a recommended summary of the series to this point/anything I need to know??

Plum

jim sterling in reviews != jim sterling in jimquisition. He will most likely love the game

Unfortunately we won't know until a few weeks after launch since he won't be getting a review copy.

To be honest I see him going the "Nintendo's a cunt so I won't review the game or consider it for GOTY" route instead, it is the best of both worlds after all, but we'll see.

Jim Sterling hates the Balls off Konami but he still gave MGSV a 9/10.

Breath of the Wild is likely the equal of that game minus its issues, it's going to get a high score.

Xbro

Unfortunately we won't know until a few weeks after launch since he won't be getting a review copy.

To be honest I see him going the "Nintendo's a cunt so I won't review the game or consider it for GOTY" route instead, it is the best of both worlds after all, but we'll see.

He's said he won't be getting a review copy? Is this voluntary or not?

Alienous

Hopefully there are at least weapons that become ineffective and can be repaired somehow, rather than shattering.

I couldn't justify purchasing or doing a quest for an item otherwise.

perhaps not the thread to ask in, but for someone entirely new to nintendo consoles and zelda games, is there a recommended summary of the series to this point/anything I need to know??

The main character isn't Zelda.

Uh, Ganon is a recurring bad dude in the series.

The series barely has a linear story when the games are taken together, and are released out of order anyway, so you shouldn't need to read up on any plot.

One of Jim's favorite series is Zelda guys, he absolutely adores Ganondorf and Zant, and loved Hyrule Warriors, y'all need to stop freaking out.

Only time I disagreed with a review was his Sonic Colors review.

The syncopated style of soundtrack is extremely interesting and is something that I've never heard in a game ost. The almost digital sounding horse riding theme is so refreshing. I freaking love the music that I've heard so far.

Hopefully there are at least weapons that become ineffective and can be repaired somehow, rather than shattering.

No. Repair mechanics are absolute ass with durability. It turns them into tedium or make durability meaningless. The point is that your tools are dependent on your choices. Even with durability getting a good tool is still a reward, just not a permanent reward.

Unbreakable Weapons should be unbreakable and do not need to be repaired.

Plum

I know it may sound weird, but I hate how cheap looking the hud elements are. Good thing you can apparently turn them off

I like them. Minimal but not overly so. The font used is great as well.

But yeah, if you wanted a more ornate style I can see how you might not like them.

...though I think we can both agree that the HUD is at least ten times better than Fallout 4's. Now THAT is an awful HUD.

ckaneo

No. There doesn't seem to be any repair shops.

You just gotta not get attached.

Mory Dunz

lgHG9Th.gif

Perfect GIF for Nintendo Direct announcements.

I wish Link did some animation when it drops though. It's bugging me a bit

Kinsei

Banned

You don't really need to know anything. Every Zelda so far have been fine as stand alone games. There are little references you'll miss, but it's no big deal.

I like them. Minimal but not overly so. The font used is great as well.

But yeah, if you wanted a more ornate style I can see how you might not like them.

...though I think we can both agree that the HUD is at least ten times better than Fallout 4's. Now THAT is an awful HUD.

I've always loved really well designed icons for some reason, so the minimalist thing really is a turn off. Yeah, F4 was pretty bad also

The weapon breaking thing seems meh to me though, that's a small gripe I have. I want to grow attached to my favorite weapons and iconic tools (grappling hook, metal boots)

Craft a weapon/item up to "unbreakable" status perhaps?

So is Jimquisition going to 4.5 / 10 this game just to up his hits? :p

I think it would be a tremendously classy move to give it a 10 if he feels that it deserves it - even though he doesn't like Nintendo.

Plum

Despite Nintendo trying to force everything into a single timeline (which I doubt they really care about themselves, but fans want it I guess) the Zelda games are almost entirely standalone. They're like The Elder Scrolls, in that you will definitely get slightly more out of it if you've played the rest of the series, but playing say, Skyrim doesn't mean you have to have played Daggerfall as well.

watershed

Banned
These previews are intense. They seem to suggest that at worst we are about to play a great GOTY contender, at best a new cultural event in gaming history.

So I am going to play this in really short bursts because I have a newborn and I'm going on a trip so I was wondering what the save system is like. Can you save anywhere?

Plum

Not sure if new info but an ign video posted a couple minutes ago said enemies can be
struck by lightning in a thunderstorm
as well if they are holding a metal object. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d36wUedQmBA

I wouldn't consider that a spoiler, but it's great nonetheless.

Being able to throw your metal weapon near an enemy during a thunderstorm so they get caught in the resulting explosion will be so fucking cool. Really hope it does some decent damage.

Ladekabel

I doubt it. Dude can have some hardcore haters but he has never had a review score I have disagreed with. He does recognize greatness.

Unless that greatness is called Vanquish.

I like Jim though I stopped watching his content a while ago because it was too much preaching to the choire for me. But I agree, I don't see him giving it a bad review for the sake of it.

ReyVGM

So I am going to play this in really short bursts because I have a newborn and I'm going on a trip so I was wondering what the save system is like. Can you save anywhere?

Yes.

But I've never understood this question. What Zelda game, other than Zelda 2, has never allowed you to save anywhere? You've never had to go to a savespot or a town to save like how JRPGs do.

Now, if you're talking about auto saving? Then yes, it autosaves.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an unbreakable item for each category. I can't see stuff like the Master Sword or an iconic item like the megaton hammer (This isn't a spoiler, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical "super" hammer weapon) ever breaking.
yeah that's what I was thinking. I remember OOT you didn't get that special item until very late in the game. I hope I can find something rare kinda soonish...

Wookieomg

Has someone compiled all of the excellent gifs used in this thread somewhere? I'd really love to share some of them with my friends, and it'd be easier to pull from a source that has all of them or the bulk of them available to see/share.

Unless that greatness is called Vanquish.

I like Jim though I stopped watching his content a while ago because it was too much preaching to the choire for me. But I agree, I don't see him giving it a bad review for the sake of it.

I seperate you tube Jim from writer Jim.

I know I am drinking the hype koolaid but this release of Zelda is going to be amazeballs.

Yes.

But I've never understood this question. What Zelda game, other than Zelda 2, has never allowed you to save anywhere? You've never had to go to a savespot or a town to save like how JRPGs do.

Majora's mask, skyward sword and a link between worlds doesn't let you save all the time

jariw

Not really, all games are their own. You can play Zelda game in any order.

The only really basic things in a Zelda game that might be good to know:
Link - the good guy, usually in green clothes, that you will play in each Zelda adventure.
Zelda - the princess, sometimes with magical powers. Usually, she needs to be saved or rescued for some reason.
Ganon - the really evil bad guy, pretty much like Sauron in LotR.
Hyrule - the land where the game takes place.

But if you want to dig deep into the Zelda lore, the book Hyrule Historia gives a very good description of all Zelda games prior to BotW.

Kjellson

Yes.

Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds had savespots.

Top Bottom