• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Mandelbo

Yes.

But I've never understood this question. What Zelda game, other than Zelda 2, has never allowed you to save anywhere? You've never had to go to a savespot or a town to save like how JRPGs do.

Now, if you're talking about auto saving? Then yes, it autosaves.

Weelll, Majora's Mask doesn't. The save system got more lenient with each release of the game (in the original Japanese release you could only save by using the Song of Time to return to the first day), but even in MM3D you still have to find save points.

Gun Animal

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an unbreakable item for each category. I can't see stuff like the Master Sword or an iconic item like the megaton hammer (This isn't a spoiler, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical "super" hammer weapon) ever breaking.

More likely, low-durability is an early-game thing designed to get you to try every weapon type at least once. Do we really think the weapons you'll be using halfway through the game will break frequently? And if they do break, will they be lost forever like early game weapons or simply need repairing?

ReyVGM

Majora's mask, skyward sword and a link between worlds doesn't let you save all the time

Crap, forgot about MM and SS. But still, in MM you could save anytime by going back to the first day.

Regardless, I've seen this question pop-up several times and it is always asked as if (most) Zelda games have never allowed you to save anywhere you want.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Lol, my 40-year-old Japanese teacher just sent me an e-mail saying she finally preordered the system and the game, and how her husband and daughter won't join her on the hype train so she's just getting excited on her own.

I basically replied by sending her that "extreme style" video with Link ride-by shooting/air-striking fools.

Yes.

But I've never understood this question. What Zelda game, other than Zelda 2, has never allowed you to save anywhere? You've never had to go to a savespot or a town to save like how JRPGs do.

Skyward Sword doesn't let you save anywhere, you have to find a statue and save there. Granted there are a lot of them, but you can't just pause the game and save.

Edit: Gaf too fast

Caelus

So, general question. I'm buying this game regardless, but given how the series has progressed so far, does it feel like a Zelda game?

Impressions indicate yes.

More likely, low-durability is an early-game thing designed to get you to try every weapon type at least once. Do we really think the weapons you'll be using halfway through the game will break frequently? And if they do break, will they be lost forever like early game weapons or simply need repairing?

Items that break are lost forever, but you can increase the durability of items that haven't broken yet.
PULNUwN.jpg

Clunky controls

? Of all the things to criticize Zelda as a whole for, clunky controls isn't one of them. Handholding might be, for the recent entries. This game has little to no handholding though.

Probably it's a constant. In the midgame video seen at the Game Awards, a midgame sword still broke like any other.

Realeza

Banned
So the embargo for this ends March 2nd at 3 AM Pacific, huh? Damn. Are you suckas staying awake or waking up to the wave of craziness?

Craft a weapon/item up to "unbreakable" status perhaps?

I think it would be a tremendously classy move to give it a 10 if he feels that it deserves it - even though he doesn't like Nintendo.
hmmmm... yeah that would be dope. I hope something like that is possible, some of the metal swords look very cool already.

I kinda hate Nintendos hardware, the price of like everything Nintendo, how the games take forever (if at all) to go on sale, no real trophy equivalent, etc...list is kinda long really lol. I definitely stop being a Nintendo fan since like PS1 days really. But I'm impulse buying Zelda and Switch as soon as I can get a hold on it, it's just special, and unless the game falls apart, I'm convinced it'll be amazeballs.

I don't know why I'm jumping on day one, I never buy consoles this early, I think it's because I always feel left out when GTA games release. I can appreciate why they are great, but they never hold my attention. I just don't like the gameplay loop, the over the top humor, stories, or plaything through modern society. This feels like my personal "GTA" experience for lack of a better term. It's like I'm playing in a paradise sandbox looking to discover it's secrets. Fantasy has always been more appealing to me.

Hmmmm sorry for the rant guess the hype is getting to me after all.

ReyVGM

how much does it skew from the standards set in Ocarina of Time, besides the new approach to overworld design.

I take that you haven't seen gameplay videos or the massive amount of preview articles stating how this is the second coming of christ?

robotrock

Banned
Impressions indicate yes.

Items that break are lost forever, but you can increase the durability of items that haven't broken yet.

? Of all the things to criticize Zelda as a whole for, clunky controls isn't one of them. Handholding might be, for the recent entries. This game has little to no handholding though.

What Zelda game has clunky controls?
Have never been entirely comfortable with 3D Zelda controls. Maybe the lack of a jump button gets me but I think OoT/MM/TP at least feel a bit awkward.

The Lamp

how much does it skew from the standards set in Ocarina of Time, besides the new approach to overworld design.

Again, what does this mean in terms of "feeling like a zelda" game?

It's got quirky NPC dialogue and dungeons and items and swordfighting with a cohesive lore and art design.

Anything else that is distinctly, definitively Zelda? Besides rupees?

Caelus

Have never been entirely comfortable with 3D Zelda controls. Maybe the lack of a jump button gets me but I think OoT/MM/TP at least feel a bit awkward.

I see. They're certainly responsive but these days they feel slow and hard to go back to, which is why I'm glad MM at least has faster traversal items like the Bunny Hood and Masks.

This game has rupees too, unless I'm misinterpreting you.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Silly question but can horses swim in real life? Can't say I've seen them in that scenario aha.

Yes. My horses love swimming.

EDIT: and yes that animation is very lifelike.

Also that gif earlier with the horse "strafing" is like the first time I've seen it in a game, really well done by nintendo.

Yes.

If I remember right. If I saved in ocarina it would take me like across the map when I reloaded my save. I'm asking if I can start off right where I left off like if I'm exploring some big ass cave

Silly question but can horses swim in real life? Can't say I've seen them in that scenario aha.

Yes they can. Horses aren't really afraid to drown. They just associate water with unknown danger. They would not be able to swim with a rider.

Edit: Or actually even that's wrong. In some cases, they are strong enough.

Yes. My horses love swimming.

EDIT: and yes that animation is very lifelike.

Also that gif earlier with the horse "strafing" is like the first time I've seen it in a game, really well done by nintendo.

It sounds like the dedicated team for animal AI really paid off. You seem to care a lot about your horse so if you're impressed then I'm impressed.

Gun Animal

Again, what does this mean in terms of "feeling like a zelda" game?

It's got quirky NPC dialogue and dungeons and items and swordfighting with a cohesive lore and art design.

Based on what i've seen I'd argue that BOTW sets a new standard for the series, just as OoT did. I think that's a good thing! I'm just telling you what I think he meant.

But what comes to my mind is "how different is the dungeon/overworld loop" "how differently are dungeons designed compared to the standard followed in OoT up to SS" and "Are Bosses approached the same way, RE: special items found in preceding dungeons"

Unfortunately we won't know until a few weeks after launch since he won't be getting a review copy.

To be honest I see him going the "Nintendo's a cunt so I won't review the game or consider it for GOTY" route instead, it is the best of both worlds after all, but we'll see.

He can just pirate it.

Realeza

Banned
I don't know how much Nintendo cares about reviews (or if the developers are even aware of Metacritic), but is awesome that, at least based on the impressions, this will get stellar reviews. You motherfuckers take things for granted, but Miyamoto, Aonuma, and co. won't be around forever, so is great to see that they will get the recognition they deserve, and once again, leave their mark in this industry while still alive and healthy.

Top Bottom