• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

I actually like the area around Aura near Yonge and College. So much variety in food and it's about a 30 min walk to almost anywhere you'd want to go downtown. Only downside is that area is kinda grimy, especially when you get up near Wellesley. Also it's pretty much filled with students - most of them being mainlanders.

Tabris should live in Liberty village tbh. Reminds me of Olympic village/false creek area in Vancouver minus the water. Otherwise, look at Yorkville or maybe Ice condos which is really close to Bay and Queens Quay.

Azih

Core downtown isn't very far away from Queen Street and is a close transit jump from the UofT areas, St.Lawrenece Market is close, close to the ferry to the Islands too, and all the sports are there so Tabris can join in on the Jurassic Park fun.

Core downtown gets a bad rap I say!

yyzjohn

Banned
People have to settle down with the Anthopolous love. Yeah the Jays won the division this year but he's made a hell of a lot of trades that could come back to bite the Jays in the ass in years to come. Norris, Synagaard, Hoffman could all be front line pitchers the Jays could have had. D'Arnaud is the Mets starting catcher, Yan Gomes is a solid player. Was it all worth it for a few months of the Jays being good? We'll see I guess.

Willectro

Banned
What's with the provincial government always trying to sell businesses that are either monopolies or have massive advantages that would be difficult for any other business to establish on their own? Smh.

zroid

Banned
People have to settle down with the Anthopolous love. Yeah the Jays won the division this year but he's made a hell of a lot of trades that could come back to bite the Jays in the ass in years to come. Norris, Synagaard, Hoffman could all be front line pitchers the Jays could have had. D'Arnaud is the Mets starting catcher, Yan Gomes is a solid player. Was it all worth it for a few months of the Jays being good? We'll see I guess.

eh, it doesn't really matter how the prospects he dealt turn out IMO. he basically turned the Jays into the consensus best team in the AL and won their first division title in two decades. it was worth it. moreover, the roster is intact for one more year so we can do it all again! (with a few good pitching moves that is)

i was a bit skeptical at the trade deadline because I didn't know if they could overcome the 8 game deficit, not because I didn't think they were good moves. That's maybe why Shapiro expressed some doubt about the moves as well.

krae_man

Yes because 20 years of never giving up the young pitchers worked wonders.

Giving up prospects is fine as long as you're taking steps in the right direction. You can't be always sitting on prospects.

The deals he made this season worked. He made some mistakes in the past, and he admitted it, but he also learned from them.

Azih

I also read that since MLSE is a cheapskate and gave AA a tight cash budget, AA resorted to building up the farm so he could trade prospects for talent rather than open the threadbare wallet. Boy did it work this year.

Dude's smart and deserves the executive of the year award.

Quick

Banned
I also read that since MLSE is a cheapskate and gave AA a tight cash budget, AA resorted to building up the farm so he could trade prospects for talent rather than open the threadbare wallet. Boy did it work this year.

MLSE isn't in charge of the Jays, Rogers is.

Tabris

Core downtown isn't very far away from Queen Street and is a close transit jump from the UofT areas, St.Lawrenece Market is close, close to the ferry to the Islands too, and all the sports are there so Tabris can join in on the Jurassic Park fun.

Core downtown gets a bad rap I say!

Why does core downtown get a bad rep?

Azih

Bah. I get confused between our corporate overloads. But yeah Jays ownership.

Well to be fair a large chunk of it is the financial district which is pretty soulless.

The financial district isn't very large though, 8 blocks or so? And it's ringed by the lake, the stadiums, Queen Street, and the St.Lawrence Market area which are much nicer.

People outside of downtown hate on downtown while people who live downtown don't really care about anything outside of downtown.

downtown is better

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Well...first of all, that's pretty fucking smart

Second of all...
This.

Third of all, MLSE spent millions on Nathan Horton's contract to literally sit home and not play hockey, and they spent millions pulling arguably the best hockey coach in the world away from Detroit. All execs have praised MLSE for agreeing to take that on and repeat that ownership is doing whatever it takes to build a winner, so while I hate both Robbers and Hell with a passion, I admit they are doing what they can.
Well...
Bah. I get confused between our corporate overloads. But yeah Jays ownership.

Well to be fair a large chunk of it is the financial district which is pretty soulless.

The financial district isn't very large though, 8 blocks or so? And it's ringed by the lake, the stadiums, Queen Street, and the St.Lawrence Market area which are much nicer.
Yup. Soulless banker business suits. Tabby, you'll fit right in. <3

I used to work there too... :(

yyzjohn

Banned
Yes because 20 years of never giving up the young pitchers worked wonders.

He also had 5 other seasons of wheeling and dealing that led to nothing. The point is the main piece he traded for (Price) probably won't re-sign here. So you gave up a good chunk of future for 3 months of great baseball and an almost appearance in the World Series. The only way you can sell it was worth it is if the Jays had actually won the World Series OR Price re-signs here.

Tabris

It's full of ugly condo buildings.

What are you talking about? Toronto has great architecture. Vancouver and Toronto are world class in it's modern Hong Kong-inspired condo architecture which creates such pretty skylines and views.

What are you talking about? Toronto has great architecture. Vancouver and Toronto are world class in it's modern Hong Kong-inspired condo architecture which creates such pretty skylines and views.

image.php

Stet

Banned
Even if the skyline is beautiful you'll only ever see it if you're on the islands.

And then you're on the islands.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I...what is this...?!

The architecture is not inspired by Hong Kong at all. The hell part of Hong Kong and the hell part of Toronto have you been to?????
Even if the skyline is beautiful you'll only ever see it if you're on the islands.

And then you're on the islands.
LOLOLOLOL

The best view I've ever seen of the Toronto skyline is from the west end of the city. I could see from the harbourfront all the way north to Yonge and Eglinton. It was insane looking. There are multiple big clusters of skyscrapers (waterfront, central business district, Yonge and Bloor, Yonge and Eglinton) all the way up there.
However, the most iconic view is obviously from Toronto Island where you see the CN Tower next to the Rogers Centre anchoring the rest of the buildings.
I would say that the fact that there is an iconic view that is unmistakably Toronto automatically makes it better than 95% of the other skylines in the world that look interchangeable. It's one of the skylines that people can recognize just with a black outline drawing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well the Toronto skyline is beautiful, and iconic, but that is in spite of all the ugly and cheap cookie cutter condos downtown.

The only skyscraper they've built recently that I like is the L tower. The rest are dime a dozen. I especially hate that one right next to the Gardiner. I feel sorry for whoever lives in that unit right by the highway. I feel like I can reach my arm out my car window and slap someone standing on the balcony

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The best view I've ever seen of the Toronto skyline is from the west end of the city. I could see from the harbourfront all the way north to Yonge and Eglinton. It was insane looking. There are multiple big clusters of skyscrapers (waterfront, central business district, Yonge and Bloor, Yonge and Eglinton) all the way up there.
However, the most iconic view is obviously from Toronto Island where you see the CN Tower next to the Rogers Centre anchoring the rest of the buildings.
I would say that the fact that there is an iconic view that is unmistakably Toronto automatically makes it better than 95% of the other skylines in the world that look interchangeable. It's one of the skylines that people can recognize just with a black outline drawing.

The view FROM the CN Tower is underrated. You can see up Yonge St and all the clusters of buildings, effectively all forming their own little skylines. We have sections of the city like Humber now, where there are enough buildings to make up their own clearly defined skyline as well. CN Towner definitely defines the skyline, but I think it's great in other parts too.

Azih

Hell family from the San Jose area were impressed by the Mississauga skyline. I don't think we realize our own strengths.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hell family from the San Jose area were impressed by the Mississauga skyline. I don't think we realize our own strengths.

MIssissauga's skyline is quite nice from the right angles.

The best view is on that bridge on dundas when you pass over Cawthra

haha when I was flying home from China a few years ago, a bunch of the Chinese people on the plane were blown away by the Mississauga skyline thinking it was Toronto.
I wish I could have seen their face when they saw the real thing later on.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hella late but let's get one thing clear here:

MLSE has never been afraid to spend the cash. They're just all complete idiots.

LevelNth

Banned
He also had 5 other seasons of wheeling and dealing that led to nothing. The point is the main piece he traded for (Price) probably won't re-sign here. So you gave up a good chunk of future for 3 months of great baseball and an almost appearance in the World Series. The only way you can sell it was worth it is if the Jays had actually won the World Series OR Price re-signs here.
This is 100% correct and I don't want to get riled up talking about how much I feel AA has nuked this team's future for a myriad of horrible moves. He never intended to stay IMO, he has no faith in the core and knows there's nothing left here with which to work with, and didn't want to tie his legacy to it and got out while he could.

Good riddance and here's hoping Shapiro can pull us out of this tailspin AA set us in. Hope the single AL East title was worth it.

cube444

Just bought the Nexus 6P aluminum 64gb version. I'm looking to unload my Nexus 5 when the 6P arrives.

Any local Toronto GAF members interested?

Top Bottom