• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

N° 2048

Well, not now. Depends on how long it keeps raining.

There was a bit of flooding across from where I am at Yonge and Lawrence but someone cleaned out the storm drain.

Props to that person. I'm also that guy (the VERY few) that go out in boots and the shittiest clothes I can find and clear out the drain with a shovel.

9ZjT4td.jpg

source

Dr.Acula

Banned
Toronto ends carding.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/crime/2015/10/28/province-to-unveil-limits-on-carding.html

Police officers will no longer be able to arbitrarily stop people for questioning based on their appearance or the neighbourhood they live in, Ontario’s minister of community safety and correctional services said Wednesday.

Yasir Naqvi said police officers will also have to tell citizens that the stop is voluntary and that the person can walk away.

The officers will be required to provide a reason for stop, as well as documentation and information about complaint mechanism.

Ontario police forces will also have to report annually to their police boards about carding. Forces will not be allowed to have quota system.

Quick

Banned
It's cute he thinks that, but it's shocking to absolve drivers of their responsibilities in bad weather. Drivers just want to carry on like it's a normal day because they are inside their car.

Pedestrians can be just as stupid as drivers in days like today.

No, it's not a normal day when I'm inside my car when it's pouring rain. I drive slower to account for the road conditions, make sure my visibility is clear, and that I'm careful with my turns. This should be the mentality of many drivers.

And it isn't realistic to say that drivers should just stay home or walk. I have to go to work, and my only means of transport is driving. Transit is not an option when I work a fair distance from my home.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Drivers are bad in even the slightest weather (and without it, mind you), but pedestrians are equally dumb even on a normal day. Now pour in heavy rain with all these dumb asses, poor driving visibility, slick roads, pedestrians with hoods up and umbrellas blowing everywhere.. it's no wonder there are so many incidents.

From the article:

Apparently there's more. That Const. Clint Stibbe was interviewed on Newstalk 1010, and he said that the majority of cases were the drivers fault and they usually claim that they never saw the pedestrian to begin with. That part was omitted from most interviews I think, for whatever reason, even though it seems incredibly relevant.

Also the hit pedestrian count is now at 16. I guess there's 'something' in the rain

Willectro

Banned
Pedestrians can be just as stupid as drivers in days like today.

No, it's not a normal day when I'm inside my car when it's pouring rain. I drive slower to account for the road conditions, make sure my visibility is clear, and that I'm careful with my turns. This should be the mentality of many drivers.

And it isn't realistic to say that drivers should just stay home or walk. I have to go to work, and my only means of transport is driving. Transit is not an option when I work a fair distance from my home.

Unfortunately, not all drivers are considerate like you have described.

I just think the police should be preaching to people driving, as opposed to saying pedestrians are at fault.

"In some cases the pedestrian is stepping out on the roadway," Stibbe said.

Unless they are diving out, I'm still not buying this. Either the driver's view is obstructed (and therefore shouldn't be driving) or they are driving too fast. I get the public safety aspect and maybe the quote is out of context, but it could have been phrased better.

Edit:

Apparently there's more. That Const. Clint Stibbe was interviewed on Newstalk 1010, and he said that the majority of cases were the drivers fault and they usually claim that they never saw the pedestrian to begin with. That part was omitted from most interviews I think, for whatever reason, even though it seems incredibly relevant.

Also the hit pedestrian count is now at 16. I guess there's 'something' in the rain

Apparently this magic rain makes people teleport. Again, not being able to see isn't an excuse for drivers.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
It's cute he thinks that, but it's shocking to absolve drivers of their responsibilities in bad weather. Drivers just want to carry on like it's a normal day because they are inside their car.

Oh, I don't doubt that it's mainly the driver's fault but the number of idiot pedestrians are equally high. The people I've seen just walk out without looking is ridiculous.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
maybe stop paying some of your workers $20-30 an hour for literally sitting on a stool.
They keep saying it.
"These are people who aren't driving buses and are injured or have another reason to not drive. If we don't have them doing token selling they'd be at home collecting a paycheque for nothing"

It's a broken system. I say get rid of all of them and start over.

Anony

They keep saying it.
"These are people who aren't driving buses and are injured or have another reason to not drive. If we don't have them doing token selling they'd be at home collecting a paycheque for nothing"

is this for real..
what the fuck is wrong with the ttc, so once you're hired for the ttc, are you hired for life and can't get fired or laid off?
fucking ridiculous

in other ttc rants, i'm on the morning subway today, and i see this big guy (not really fat but big)
I've seen this asshole before, when he sits, he FULLY spreads his legs open and it fully extends to the next seat
he sits on the side seat of a 3 seater so he's using up 2 seats, if he was sitting in the middle he'd take up all 3 seats
the train wasnt packed, but let's just say every seat except that seat was taken and a good amount of people were standing
i don't want to judge too far, he could have some medical condition (in which if that was the case, he should be using the open corner seat of the handicap seat), but observing his behaviour, i highly doubt that
was really considering taking this guy's photo and posting it online to see if he ALWAYS does that, but not sure if that's legal

Willectro

Banned
I can only imagine how they would handle fare enforcement when they get rid of the stool people. I bet they will somehow have more staff then.

Hahaha.

But really, all of the TTC's fare woes will disappear upon implementation of a sensible fare system. As much as I hate Presto, if the TTC opted to implement a fare system similar to Montreal's Metro, which allows for fares to be paid for varying intervals of time and allows discounts based on duration, it wouldn't be so painful (or possibly even required) to implement a slight fare increase. Under the current system, it's just a higher price for the same lackluster service.

N° 2048

is this for real..
what the fuck is wrong with the ttc, so once you're hired for the ttc, are you hired for life and can't get fired or laid off?
fucking ridiculous

in other ttc rants, i'm on the morning subway today, and i see this big guy (not really fat but big)
I've seen this asshole before, when he sits, he FULLY spreads his legs open and it fully extends to the next seat
he sits on the side seat of a 3 seater so he's using up 2 seats, if he was sitting in the middle he'd take up all 3 seats
the train wasnt packed, but let's just say every seat except that seat was taken and a good amount of people were standing
i don't want to judge too far, he could have some medical condition (in which if that was the case, he should be using the open corner seat of the handicap seat), but observing his behaviour, i highly doubt that
was really considering taking this guy's photo and posting it online to see if he ALWAYS does that, but not sure if that's legal

a) you can't just take away someone's job when they get injured. put yourself in that situation.

b) the guy wasn't bugging you or preventing you from getting a seat. move on. if it was full and i want a seat, i would have said something to his face (not post a picture on reddit or gaf lololo)

Kraftwerk

oh shit, I didnt see this

http://www.canada.com/news/toronto+brink+italy+warns/11472566/story.html

Toronto on brink of a mob war, Italy warns

Mobsters around Toronto are on the brink of armed warfare in a brewing feud between some of the world’s most powerful and wealthiest gangster clans, according to wiretaps secretly recorded in Italy.

Friction between Mafia families in Canada has already triggered one brazen murder, an unsolved shooting last year outside a café in Woodbridge, north of Toronto, authorities in Italy warn after listening to private conversations between an accused mafioso who returned to Italy from Toronto.

Willectro

Banned
They keep saying it.

I hope there is a major change in TTC governance prior to the feds investment. I have nothing against unions and have a hard time blaming front line staff's salaries for fare increases. Treading water isn't a long term strategy for any organization and even if we had $10 billion to play with, without a solid plan we have nothing. The fare increase even apparently surprised Tory, lol.

The streetcar debacle is just icing on the cake, which they might be getting $50 million back from.

Anony

a) you can't just take away someone's job when they get injured. put yourself in that situation.

b) the guy wasn't bugging you or preventing you from getting a seat. move on. if it was full and i want a seat, i would have said something to his face (not post a picture on reddit or gaf lololo)

you realize you don't need 3 or 4 people in the station booth area sitting on their ass doing nothing
and no, obviously i wouldn't post the dude's face

ahdurian

I hope there is a major change in TTC governance prior to the feds investment. I have nothing against unions and have a hard time blaming front line staff's salaries for fare increases. Treading water isn't a long term strategy for any organization and even if we had $10 billion to play with, without a solid plan we have nothing. The fare increase even apparently surprised Tory, lol.

The streetcar debacle is just icing on the cake, which they might be getting $50 million back from.

isn't that article about Tory about last year's hike though? not this upcoming one

Quadratic

Sad to hear about all the pedestrians hit today. In bad weather I try to remember to glance back to check for cars. I don't assume they will stop.

Quadratic

Alex Anthopoulos not coming back to the Jays. http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/alex-anthopoulos-leaving-blue-jays-after-rejecting-extension/

Sports talk radio over the past few days have been hinting that there might be friction with the incoming president Mark Shapiro.

I don't think the issue was with money with Anthopoulos if he rejected the extension. It's probably that he couldn't make it work with Shaprio. Wonder how Rogers is going to spin this after the incredible run we just had in the post season.

Brinbe

Just read that too... Fucking hell. We always find a way to fuck a good thing up. Knew the good times wouldn't last past this season.

Time for a break from sports I think. Can't even get excited about the Raptors right now as they're a 2nd round team at best. Right now I'm counting on the nuggets/Knicks being awful since we get either of their picks in the draft this year that we got in the Bargs trade. And getting a high enough pick/star out of that is our best chance of breaking through to the next level and maybe becoming a true contender.

But again, knowing our luck, both those teams may be merely mediocre and we're stuck with a pick in the teens.

Alex Anthopoulos not coming back to the Jays. http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/alex-anthopoulos-leaving-blue-jays-after-rejecting-extension/

Sports talk radio over the past few days have been hinting that there might be friction with the incoming president Mark Shapiro.

I don't think the issue was with money with Anthopoulos if he rejected the extension. It's probably that he couldn't make it work with Shaprio. Wonder how Rogers is going to spin this after the incredible run we just had in the post season.

Shapiro apparently scolded Alex for trading top prospects before the deadline.

I would be like "Fuck you, see ya" as well if that's the case.

Shapiro needs to have a wildly successful season now or the fans are going to rip him apart. Curious to know who he brings in as GM. Probably a puppet.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just read that too... Fucking hell. We always find a way to fuck a good thing up. Knew the good times wouldn't last past this season.

Time for a break from sports I think. Can't even get excited about the Raptors right now.

No Brinbe! You stay watching the Raptors! Don't succumb to the Toronto sadness.

Either way echoing what Quad said above, really looking forward to seeing how Rogers tries to spin this one.

My guess is revealing AA is not actually Canadian.

Brinbe

If that story is true, Shapiro is already public enemy #1 and with good reason. Way to smash any progress and good will you actually garnered these past few months. Rogers is a pathetic organization.

No Brinbe! You stay watching the Raptors! Don't succumb to the Toronto sadness.

Either way echoing what Quad said above, really looking forward to seeing how Rogers tries to spin this one.

My guess is revealing AA is not actually Canadian.
It's too late. I think watching Bradford struggle and Chip revealing himself to be a false prophet has already broken my spirit beyond repair.

This AA news has shredded the last of my optimism going forward.

Maybe it's for the best though. I can hibernate for a few years and when Nylander/Marner/Matthews??? are ready to join the Leafs, that'll be a nice time to start caring for sports in this city again.

If that story is true, Shapiro is already public enemy #1 and with good reason. Way to smash any progress and good will you actually garnered these past few months. Rogers is a pathetic organization.

Regime changes make sense when the team is losing, this just looks sloppy.

Everyone will forget about this if they get to the World Series next year.

N° 2048

Holy fuck how much is TekSavvy going to go up?

They are raising their prices AGAIN and getting rid of Zap the Cap.

You also need to pay $5 extra a month to opt out of this bullshit

The SIR Policy is TekSavvy’s attempt to get smarter at how we do things when the network gets congested during the download day. This will help us keep user experiences great and prices low. In a nutshell, TekSavvy will continue to provision bandwidth aggressively to ensure an uncongested experience, but will now also begin to take best-efforts traffic management measures if the network gets congested between 8 a.m. and 2 a.m.

That news is seriously shocking. Holy crap. How?

I know guys like to bring in their own but letting go of the GM of the year sure is some kind of decision. Especially one so well liked by fans and players alike.

How does Gibby stay then? I wouldn't have been surprised if it was him who was tossed but letting Alex go does not sit well with me at all.

I'd love if Gibby stepped aside but stayed within the organization. Not sure he would accept a demotion though and stick around but don't see any other club giving him a head coaching job honestly. Or maybe his stock has risen a ton this year. Also not sure what other coaches there are out there to replace him.

Fucking Shapiro.

Holy fuck how much is TekSavvy going to go up?

They are raising their prices AGAIN and getting rid of Zap the Cap.

You also need to pay $5 extra a month to opt out of this bullshit

The SIR Policy is TekSavvy’s attempt to get smarter at how we do things when the network gets congested during the download day. This will help us keep user experiences great and prices low. In a nutshell, TekSavvy will continue to provision bandwidth aggressively to ensure an uncongested experience, but will now also begin to take best-efforts traffic management measures if the network gets congested between 8 a.m. and 2 a.m.
TekSavvy is a joke now. Where I always recommended them, now I do not. I know it is not their fault and Rogers continually back them into a corner forcing them to make changes just to stay afloat. But just go with Rogers and haggle for a retention plan for better service all around. Yeah I know you are supporting the evil empire but at the end of the day service and savings trumps the morality for me.

I negotiated 100mbs ignite plan unlimited bandwidth for $60-$65 (may be $62 exact) tax in with Rogers. Router/modem all covered yadayada customer service rep on the phone within 10 seconds of calling if you ever need them. Good luck ever getting credits for bad service with teksaavy whereas Rogers hands out credits like candy.

Just not worth the hassle anymore going with Teksaavy.

N° 2048

TekSavvy is a joke now. Where I always recommended them, now I do not. I know it is not their fault and Rogers continually back them into a corner forcing them to make changes just to stay afloat. But just go with Rogers and haggle for a retention plan for better service all around. Yeah I know you are supporting the evil empire but at the end of the day service and savings trumps the morality for me.

I negotiated 100mbs ignite plan unlimited bandwidth for $60-$65 (may be $62 exact) tax in with Rogers. Router/modem all covered yadayada customer service rep on the phone within 10 seconds of calling if you ever need them. Good luck ever getting credits for bad service with teksaavy whereas Rogers hands out credits like candy.

Just not worth the hassle anymore going with Teksaavy.

That's a damn good deal.

Top Bottom