• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

Stet

Banned
Thank god, I needed another Rabba.

I was totally joking with this post, but yesterday I walked past the Rogers building and noticed this across the street on the ground floor of the ugly ass black condo with the loathsome corporate art outside.

JtE1y8S.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
The problem is that if all the Jays' free-agents leave, they can blame Alex because he sold the farm, but we'll never know if Alex could have gotten those guys to stay.

The Rainbow 6 Canadian final is at Scotiabank on Thursday night and they had some Syndicate thing for Facebook contest winners recently (I saw it on the CTV news last night or the night before)

Tabris

I know this is asking a lot, but can you guys sell me on Toronto? Especially if you have lived in Vancouver.

This opportunity may be very good, but I don't know if I would want to sacrifice missing out on my friends. I would be flying back west coast for a couple days each month but still, that's a pretty big gap. I have a couple of friends in Toronto and they've done their job selling me but I want to hear a strangers view.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I know this is asking a lot, but can you guys sell me on Toronto? Especially if you have lived in Vancouver.

This opportunity may be very good, but I don't know if I would want to sacrifice missing out on my friends. I would be flying back west coast for a couple days each month but still, that's a pretty big gap. I have a couple of friends in Toronto and they've done their job selling me but I want to hear a strangers view.
Besides checking the OP, you should provide into on what you want and what you value in a city.

All I've read is you want a view.

Tabris

Besides checking the OP, you should provide into on what you want and what you value in a city.

All I've read is you want a view.

- I want a view.
- I love good food and am a foodie (I know Toronto is good here as I've been to like 5-6 restaurants in Toronto but what areas are best?)
- I like everything being in walking distance or quick transit ride away if something different. Esp shopping, I like shopping once a week for clothes, electronics, etc.
- I like outdoor activities. Especially walking around the beach, snowboarding, and wake boarding.
- I hate the heat (are condos A/C'd in Toronto?) EDIT - Correction, I love dry heat, I have no issue with places like Phoenix but can't stand muggy heat.
- How are the people?
- What's the culture like?
- What's cost of living compared to Vancouver? Rent seems a lot less but I may be looking at wrong areas.

Azih

* View is good from a lot of condo buildings *

* A lot of the core areas are really walking friendly *

* Outdoor activities are really good in the summer months (dragonboat racing etc.) Really bad in the winter though man *

* ACs all over the place. Summer can be very muggy *

* GAF MEETUPS ALL THE DAMN TIME! *

* Culture is very big city, you can find whatever kind of culture you want really.*

Are you just trolling? Sell you on Toronto? It is a world class city. What else do you need to know? We have the same expensive restaurants, hotels, shops, clubs and everything else you are used to overpaying for in Vancouver. It is the same shit just no mountains. I mean you can't be this ignorant, man.

You get to experience something new for a year. And you have enough money (which you constantly like to remind everyone) to fly back and visit friends once a month. The decision shouldn't be that difficult.

Tabris

Thanks Azih. Is there no close place to go snowboarding?

And criesofthepast - I don't understand what your issue with me asking this is. Sure, I understand that Toronto has all the amenities of Vancouver - but each city is unique. Like I don't understand how Toronto is laid out as it doesn't seem to be as centralized as Vancouver which may be an issue for me. I like the convenience of Vancouver where everything is around me.

I want amazing restaurants, good shopping, outdoor activities, gym / yoga classes, theatre, etc all within walking distance of my place.

EDIT - Are people more aggro in Toronto as people like Stet and criesofthepast seem aggro to me? I know the differences doing business between west coast and east coast where east coast people are definitely more aggressive, but does that extend past business?

Entropia

No One Remembers
EDIT - Are people more aggro in Toronto as people like Stet and criesofthepast seem aggro to me? I know the differences doing business between west coast and east coast where east coast people are definitely more aggressive, but does that extend past business?

From my experience, yes.

I don't live in Toronto, so I've answered what questions I can as a regular visitor:

- I hate the heat (are condos A/C'd in Toronto?) EDIT - Correction, I love dry heat, I have no issue with places like Phoenix but can't stand muggy heat.
- Toronto gets humidex warnings a lot over the summer, so it's pretty muggy. Most good / recent condos will have AC.

- I like outdoor activities. Especially walking around the beach, snowboarding, and wake boarding.
Walking around the beach and wake boarding are easily done in Toronto. For snowboarding, your closest venue is Blue Mountain

- I like everything being in walking distance or quick transit ride away if something different. Esp shopping, I like shopping once a week for clothes, electronics, etc.
Lots of excellent shopping down town. The big mall downtown (the Eaton Centre) has a lot of high end boutique style shops.

Azih

There are places that will suffice a few hours drive away but it's pretty dire especially compared to what's near Vancouver. Winter outdoor activities are really not great other than outdoor ice skating rinks.

You'll have no shortage of restaurants, shopping, summer activities and all kinds of gym and yoga classes though. There's plenty of indoor leagues too from what I know. Theatre is also really strong. Plus concerts, a hell of a lot of sports and pretty regular amazing events like TIFF, OVOfest and this year the NBA All Star game should be crazy.

Toronto is just really really spread out but you can find good neighbourhoods with everything you need and if you're close to subway/streetcar then you're close to (almost) everything else as well. You'll have to take a cab or something to see the baby pandas.

Never been to Vancouver but from everything I've heard Toronto is far less chill but also way less cliquey. A lot of it comes from an overloaded transit system :). If you walk to work during rush hour you'll avoid commuters which are by far the most stressed of Torontonian :).

I'd say TO is definitely worth a shot.

Tabris

Walking around the beach and wake boarding are easily done in Toronto. For snowboarding, your closest venue is Blue Mountain

Oh man, that sucks. I don't drive and there's no public transit option to snowboard. I guess it would be similar to when I go up to Whistler but it's nice being able to go up for a half a day to Cypress via public transit in Vancouver to snowboard.

Actually, that's one last question - I don't drive. Sometimes I'll rent a zip car or car2go, but I personally refuse to own a car. What's the Toronto lifestyle like without a car?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Oh man, that sucks. I don't drive and there's no public transit option to snowboard. I guess it would be similar to when I go up to Whistler but it's nice being able to go up for a half a day to Cypress via public transit in Vancouver to snowboard.

Actually, that's one last question - I don't drive. Sometimes I'll rent a zip car or car2go, but I personally refuse to own a car. What's the Toronto lifestyle like without a car?

Where you're wanting to be - there's no need to have a car. You'll be close to subways, street cars, and buses.

Tabris

One thing that excites me about Toronto is getting exposure to other cultures but Asian ones. I love most things about most Asian cultures but I want to diversify myself further. Is the areas I've been looking into around downtown multicultural or does Toronto do more separate neighbourhoods around that?

And criesofthepast - I don't understand what your issue with me asking this is. Sure, I understand that Toronto has all the amenities of Vancouver - but each city is unique. Like I don't understand how Toronto is laid out as it doesn't seem to be as centralized as Vancouver which may be an issue for me. I like the convenience of Vancouver where everything is around me.

I want amazing restaurants, good shopping, outdoor activities, gym / yoga classes, theatre, etc all within walking distance of my place.

Yes totally aggro. Haha.

I just think some of the questions are borderline offensive.

No there is no AC in those $3000 a month condos you'll be living in..

Its like you think Toronto is Bolivia or something.

I promise you'll be fine and won't have to downgrade in terms of lifestyle. It may take an extra bus stop or taxi ride to get to some things - but everything you want and have listed being interested in is here. You can go snowboarding in whistler on those once a month visits because we have none of that unless you want to go east to Quebec.

Blue Mountain is what we got. Google it. It is not even the bunny slope at Whistler.

Tabris

I just think some of the questions are borderline offensive.

Why are they offensive to you?

No there is no AC in those $3000 a month condos you'll be living in.

$3000 condos don't have A/C in Vancouver, I don't understand why that's an offensive question. Some people are used to muggy heat so they may not A/C condos, I'm not so I couldn't take it.

Oh, and how is clubbing in Toronto?

Stet

Banned

We just don't stand for your particular brand of crap in the East.

Oh, and how is clubbing in Toronto?

Like this, for example.

Tabris

How is clubbing sub-urban? Bar hopping without hitting up a club around midnight is not real bar hopping.

The only thing that would be sub-urban is "Hey everyone I gotta go to get transit home" or "Let's get me a cab so I can get home"

dluu13

Tabris, I'm sure if you were from Toronto and you were asking the Vancouver gaf community the same questions you might get similar responses because all your requirements come across as inflexible. Toronto and Vancouver are different so just come here and live for a bit. You said it's an opportunity right? From your initial post, it seems like you'll be here only for a year or so and that's not too long.

As for the comparison, I lived in Vancouver for 23 years so here's my impression. It's definitely more busy here. Fish is not as fresh in the sushi restaurants. My biggest gripes are translink is better than ttc and no mountains. You said you'd be going to Vancouver pretty often anyway so there'll be time to go skiing there, assuming it's not like last year. Those all seem like complaints but I've made good friends here over the past year and the gaf community is cool.

I can't deal with this. Living in the GTA, strip malls is all we have, if you don't want to go to The Bay or SEARS or something well then it's time to move somewhere else.

Tabris

Tabris, I'm sure if you were from Toronto and you were asking the Vancouver gaf community the same questions you might get similar responses because all your requirements come across as inflexible. Toronto and Vancouver are different so just come here and live for a bit. You said it's an opportunity right? From your initial post, it seems like you'll be here only for a year or so and that's not too long.

It's a big decision to do this, so that's why I'm interested and everyone but Stet and cries has been really great with their answers and it's been appreciated. I've traveled all across North America but I've never lived anywhere else. Well I kind of lived in Boston for a couple months but I was flying back and forth every couple of weeks. It's different.

dluu13

It's a big decision to do this, so that's why I'm interested and everyone but Stet and cries has been really great with their answers and it's been appreciated. I've traveled all across North America but I've never lived anywhere else. Well I kind of lived in Boston for a couple months but I was flying back and forth every couple of weeks. It's different.
But you won't die living here. I came here knowing almost nothing but I've managed to get settled down, find friends, restaurants, things to do on weekends, etc. It's not everything you ask for but it's a pretty good life. 100% would regret not coming here for my opportunity, even though I sacrificed some big things. You've got to be prepared to sacrifice things when you move for an opportunity. If not being within walking distance to all the best restaurants is too big a sacrifice then you might want to reevaluate whether or not your opportunity is worth it.
Besides, you will still be able to fall back to Vancouver if it doesn't work out right? It's not like your friends are going to leave just boot your ass cause you went to Toronto.

Seriously... a student can make a decision to move across the country for 4 years to go to school and put him/herself thousands in debt to do it but a guy who has a job offer, no family, 3000/mth to spend on accommodations, and the ability to fly back at will can't decide if he can move for a year?

Tabris

I can make a decision, I'm getting feedback from as many sources as possible to make an informed decision.

I would be very impressed by a person who can make a decision like that without any research. I can be spontaneous about most things but not major life decisions.

If I did move, I would also have to give up on my pet (my other pet died earlier this year :( ) to a family member or friend that wanted her, and then also figure out how I'm going to rent out my apartment (most likely furnished) and where to store my stuff (my parents said they had room for some of my stuff as long as it's not the furniture), but lots of logistics.

Top Bottom