• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

The retention plan is with cable and home phone. Not by itself. Sorry if got hopes up. xD

The internet price is guaranteed for 2 years and only the internet is on a contract. The cable and home phone can be cancelled at any time.

All ignite plans have a full sub to NHL GameCentre too which is a nice freebie.

I think with the VIP cable package, two boxes (one HD and one a netbox PVR) with the internet modem/router home phone with all the add ons..it is $150 tax in. Hard to best that. My other house my mom pays like $60 just for basic shitty HD cable.

The account in question has been with Rogers for 25+ years. Not sure that has anything to do with what retention plans are offered though.

Willectro

Banned
Holy fuck how much is TekSavvy going to go up?

They are raising their prices AGAIN and getting rid of Zap the Cap.

You also need to pay $5 extra a month to opt out of this bullshit

The SIR Policy is TekSavvy’s attempt to get smarter at how we do things when the network gets congested during the download day. This will help us keep user experiences great and prices low. In a nutshell, TekSavvy will continue to provision bandwidth aggressively to ensure an uncongested experience, but will now also begin to take best-efforts traffic management measures if the network gets congested between 8 a.m. and 2 a.m.

I don't like Rogers, but was pissed at TS for a long while for various reasons. At the end, price was the only benefit. Switched to Rogers and never looked back. On Rogers, I haven't paid the full base price for a single month yet (for 8 or so months now), and just keep negotiating with them every couple months. Always call Rogers when there is any issue to report it. This is how you get a discount.

Stet

Banned
I don't have the patience to negotiate with Rogers. It was hard enough convincing them to let me cancel. I can only say "No. That's not what I want. Please do as I've asked." a hundred times.

Speaking of Bombardier, they're posting a several billion dollar loss this year. Without being sued.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We'll stick with Teksavvy for now, but if / when we move next year, we'll be looking for a different provide. Spotty service, unappealing prices and a nightmare setting up at our new place last time we moved.. no thank you. Definitely not going through Rogers, or Bell, even with the possibility of negotiating a sweetheart deal, but there are plenty of options right now.

Anth0ny

Alex Anthopoulos not coming back to the Jays. http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/alex-anthopoulos-leaving-blue-jays-after-rejecting-extension/

Sports talk radio over the past few days have been hinting that there might be friction with the incoming president Mark Shapiro.

I don't think the issue was with money with Anthopoulos if he rejected the extension. It's probably that he couldn't make it work with Shaprio. Wonder how Rogers is going to spin this after the incredible run we just had in the post season.

we had a good thing going and decided to completely fuck it up

#torontosports

Hmm, I think I may switch to Start.ca with this recent news.

Nearly 3 years in, they are my favourite company. I've posted this before but to repeat - I would pay them more at this point :)

Not even a single price increase which given inflation is like a price cut!

CC change? 1 quick form online.

Invoice? 1 line invoice, emailed PDF, simple to follow format.

Speed change? Called and they answered the phone in like 2 minutes.

ISP email address? I messaged them and it was setup up overnight.

Rock solid modem (cable 476).

There was a weather related outage and they were on Twitter posting they were aware faster than I could actually tweet them!!!

I've also recommended them to less technically inclined relatives and they LOVE the simplicity and Canadian LOCAL customer service.

I really don't care about plus-minus $5 here and there if the service for something so essential is near perfect.

Highly recommend Start.

(End ad pitch lol)

Willectro

Banned
We'll stick with Teksavvy for now, but if / when we move next year, we'll be looking for a different provide. Spotty service, unappealing prices and a nightmare setting up at our new place last time we moved.. no thank you. Definitely not going through Rogers, or Bell, even with the possibility of negotiating a sweetheart deal, but there are plenty of options right now.

I can appreciate that.

Really depends on what you use the internet for. I don't have cable TV and play lots of games online so reliable internet is a must for me. Unless you are lucky enough to be in a condo where Beanfield is available, Rogers seems to be the best bet. Hopefully this will change with fibre, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I do like the ideal of Bell, being a dedicated line, but have had bad experiences with them in the past.

Quick

Banned
Toronto fucking sports, man.

I'm disappointed that AA is leaving, after all the work he's done, and work still to do for next season. But it seems like he'd really prefer not to deal with Shapiro.

Anyway...

I've been with Tekksavy for years, I've had bumps of issues with them, with initial install being the worst of it (I didn't have internet for a week), but smooth otherwise.

That being said, I'm always open for other options whenever I move. I definitely wouldn't sign up with Bell again, not sure about Rogers. My friends have given glowing reviews of their service recently, and they've been offering me a bundle deal, since I'm a Rogers customer via my cellphone service.

Omlagus

Nearly 3 years in, they are my favourite company. I've posted this before but to repeat - I would pay them more at this point :)

Not even a single price increase which given inflation is like a price cut!

CC change? 1 quick form online.

Invoice? 1 line invoice, emailed PDF, simple to follow format.

Speed change? Called and they answered the phone in like 2 minutes.

ISP email address? I messaged them and it was setup up overnight.

Rock solid modem (cable 476).

There was a weather related outage and they were on Twitter posting they were aware faster than I could actually tweet them!!!

I've also recommended them to less technically inclined relatives and they LOVE the simplicity and Canadian LOCAL customer service.

I really don't care about plus-minus $5 here and there if the service for something so essential is near perfect.

Highly recommend Start.

(End ad pitch lol)

Gotta agree with this. Went from Rogers to Start when I moved a month or so ago, and Start has been great so far. Even just found out they're increasing my monthly cap from 300 GB to 400 GB for the same price! Very satisfied with them so far.

dluu13

I've been with TekSavvy for a few months now... No problems yet besides the initial install for me either. It looks like I'm not affected by the TS increases because they're only for cable.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Every Teksavvy problem I've had has been due to Rogers technicians fucking up one way or another.

cbox

Every Teksavvy problem I've had has been due to Rogers technicians fucking up one way or another.

When I initially bought my condo, I signed up for tek dsl. They were unsure if it would work since my place is brand new, so they sent the tech anyways. Turns out the fiber connection is there, it's just not connected to the building yet... So i had to go with Cable.

The Bell tech guy was insanely cool, had a long convo with him. Then the rogers guy came.

Firstly, he was late, he was rude, and the tried to BREAK IN to the comm closet on my floor. I heard banging coming from the hallway, and he was ramming a screw driver into the lock because he was too lazy to go downstairs and ask for a key. After about 6 hours my cable 100mbps was finally synced, thankfully I'm getting my full speed - but that rogers guy was an asshole. I wasn't sure how to contact rogers and complain.

Fuck. I want that plan. How long did you have to stay with them to get that?
I started a new account with them, after the trial 3 months I called in to cancel and they offered me that rate right away. Or I think it's that rate.

They can go lower if you play hard to get.

Here is my bill.
rogers9ku6p.jpg

Willectro

Banned
I started a new account with them, after the trial 3 months I called in to cancel and they offered me that rate right away. Or I think it's that rate.

They can go lower if you play hard to get.

Here is my bill.

Yep. Also when they tried to act like Shomi (lmfao, trashmi) and NHL Game Centre are value added services, I asked if they could remove those and deduct any fees as I would never use them. They couldn't of course, but it deflated the 'package deal' I was getting.

I haven't had an issue with them maintaining the promotional rate by threatening to cancel, but should they call your bluff I've heard the smart thing to do is select a future cancellation date and that way there is a good chance retentions will proactively contact you. Haven't even had to deal with that. As I said before, ensure that you call them about any issue you experience so that it's on your file. It's nearly guaranteed that your bill will be incorrect at least once. Although I feel this isn't the most ethical approach, neither is charging $84.99+tax per month for the 100u package. Also not sure how they handle chagrining packages (ie can I get the promo pricing on 250u if I switch, etc), but that might be an avenue.

RFD has a thread on this, but either I'm unlucky or people are lying.

It's sad when wholesale providers have to stoop to this level. Anyone with ebox or start? My plan with Teksavvy is grandfathered so it won't get a price increase but I don't like where this is going. At this rate I'll be stuck at 2Mbps/up forever.

It's sad when wholesale providers have to stoop to this level. Anyone with ebox or start? My plan with Teksavvy is grandfathered so it won't get a price increase but I don't like where this is going. At this rate I'll be stuck at 2Mbps/up forever.

Yup. See my post above re: Start

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If any of you want Yoshi Woolly World for $45.20 and are going to the meetup let me know before I return it.

Tabris

There's a possibility I may need to relocate to GTA for a little while. There's an opportunity i have which may take me to GTA then to San Fran then back to Vancouver.

The office would be around Bay Street and Queens Quay wherever that is.

Knowing my taste which I think most of you know - if not, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963976 , where should I live? If I want short commute time via only transit (no driving) and want a nice view.

Price limit would be $3000/mo and it would need to be furnished.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If any of you want Yoshi Woolly World for $45.20 and are going to the meetup let me know before I return it.
Does it have the Yoshi Amiibo with it?

There's a possibility I may need to relocate to GTA for a little while. There's an opportunity i have which may take me to GTA then to San Fran then back to Vancouver.

Knowing my taste which I think most of you know - if not, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963976 , where should I live? If I want short commute time via only transit (no driving) and want a nice view.

Jane and Finch has nice views >:]

Depends what kind of view though. You may like the Beaches or just get a condo downtown.

Tabris

I like downtown + water views.

CityPlace. Trust me. If anything says Tabris, it's CityPlace.

Why's this area so cheap?

EDIT - Actually everything in Toronto seems so much cheaper. I'll be able to save up some money or get a really insane place. Where do I find the really nice places?

Jane & Finch
Malvern
Morningside Heights
Rexdale
Parkdale
Moss Park
Regent Park
St Jamestown

All the nicest Toronto has to offer. Try out one of those.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
34th minute and TFC is losing 2-0. This game is already over.

EDIT: Now it's 3-0. Why am I still watching this?

Tabris

the Absolute Towers in the 'City' Center

This is in another city though. I want the same experience as I do now being able to live downtown Toronto within 5-10 minute walk to everything I would ever want. Ideally closer to waterfront so I can walk down to the water or a park in 15 mins max. In a skyscraper (or high-rise) with a city/water view. Modern building too.

Is that feasible?

Tabris

All the cool stuff in Toronto is not anywhere near a skyscraper

I've only been to downtown Toronto so far and it seemed cool. It was at the Fairmont Royal York. It was kinda close to the hockey hall of fame and not too far from the Roger Centre.

Is that not a good area for cool stuff? What do you define as cool stuff?

I want an area with the best restaurants, shopping, bars & clubs, entertainment, etc - while still having access to beach and park within walking distance?

What's that area in Toronto and is it not near the Fairmont Royal York?

Divvy

I've only been to downtown Toronto so far and it seemed cool. It was at the Fairmont Royal York. It was kinda close to the hockey hall of fame and not too far from the Roger Centre.

I want an area with the best restaurants, shopping, bars & clubs, entertainment, etc - while still having access to beach and park within walking distance?

To me, Toronto's culture is its best feature, and that's very, for the lack of a better term, "low to the ground". All the small shops and restaurants and specialty stores you'll find anywhere in the city outside of the tall buildings of the financial core. There's no one
"best" area for anything, as every neighbourhood has distinct flavours. It really depends on what you like.

The Fairmont is in the business district which is where fun and culture goes to die, unless you are really into cocaine.

I suppose the closest thing to what you probably want is something in Yorkville, along Bloor between Avenue and Jarvis. Shopping, food, entertainment, I think there's a few parks. Pretty far from the beach though. It's a very expensive area, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

This is in another city though. I want the same experience as I do now being able to live downtown Toronto within 5-10 minute walk to everything I would ever want. Ideally closer to waterfront so I can walk down to the water or a park in 15 mins max. In a skyscraper (or high-rise) with a city/water view. Modern building too.

Is that feasible?
Of course it is feasible come on man.

Just walk into any of the 4000 condos along the lakeshore on any given day and say your looking for rentals. Don't forget to tell them you have $3000 a month to blow as well. They will take care of you.

I walk a lot so maybe it is just me but I consider Koreatown to the Financial district walking distance. Anything from Eglinton and Bathurst to Yonge and Front I walk regularly. I'd live anywhere in between and consider it being close to everything.

Blackhead

Redarse

we're just teasing a bit. Check Here:
Don't know what you guys think about Toronto Life but they ranked 140 Toronto neighbourhoods.

http://torontolife.com/neighbourhood-rankings/#
Note that the ranking weighs such factors as schools instead of considerations you may be interested in such as *ahem* ease of hiding dead bodies* You're a rich single guy so you can pretty much pick any spot downtown to be honest

Divvy

Oh yeah, I forgot about the condos in the distillery district, that area seems pretty good. Unless you hate hipsters.

I saw the new price changes Teksavvy is enacting. Apparently all the unlimited packages are getting decreased though. I have a unlimited package out of necessity but looking up start.ca, I notice I can get the exact same 30 Mbps unlimited package for $10 less.

Hmm...

Haha, same here. I've been at the place I'm at now for about a year and a half and the whole time I've been using Teksavvy and have experienced only one issue: My cable signal was gone when I came home from work one day. After talking to a Teksavvy rep and troubleshooting they had to send a tech out to investigate the issue. Turns out the Rogers guy who had just recently been here to hook up another tenant literally unplugged me while he was working in the cable box, and plugged me back in in the wrong spot.

KnightHart said:
Now eSports, that's what we should be chasing after

I'm more invested in the Heroes of the Storm championships than Toronto sports at this point. I was watching the group stages yesterday and that shit was fire.

Divvy

Haha, same here. I've been at the place I'm at now for about a year and a half and the whole time I've been using Teksavvy and have experienced only one issue: My cable signal was gone when I came home from work one day. After talking to a Teksavvy rep and troubleshooting they had to send a tech out to investigate the issue. Turns out the Rogers guy who had just recently been here to hook up another tenant literally unplugged me while he was working in the cable box, and plugged me back in in the wrong spot.

Yeah I had a similar experience. Rogers guy who originally set up my teksavvy cable mistakenly also turned on the TV signal too. Then much later another Rogers tech came for other reasons, saw the TV signal mistakenly being on, and shut it off ALONG with my internet connection. It took a week to figure out what happened and get it fixed.

Tabris

I think I figured out the building I'll try to rent in if I do decide to take this opportunity.

Aura at 388 Yonge Street. I did a google street map look in that area and it's great!

Top Bottom