• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

mr.rager

Well sorry you can't relate to me? Not sure how me being able to fly back home once a month or so for a couple days to spend with family and friends makes me a douchebag.

When I said relatable, it's like if I talk to you, you would only talk about things that you have. Again, it goes with how you present yourself here on GAF, always flaunting.

And when I made the comment about being douchey, I said you SOUND douchey and it was towards the bar comment, not flying around monthly to see friends.

Honestly, I think Toronto has a better food scene than Vancouver (or it's more to my taste).

I doubt there would be any serious debate about this from any food people. Unless you only care about sushi, Toronto is the better food city in almost every way. It has many more great restaurants in a much larger variety than Vancouver. That makes sense though when considering the size of the cities etc... so it's not really a knock at Vancouver to not be able to keep up with a much larger city.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I doubt there would be any serious debate about this from any food people. Unless you only care about sushi, Toronto is the better food city in almost every way. It has many more great restaurants in a much larger variety than Vancouver. That makes sense though when considering the size of the cities etc... so it's not really a knock at Vancouver to not be able to keep up with a much larger city.

To be fair, Toronto's food scene absolutely exploded in the last five years or so. Prior to that, I think Vancouver was arguably better.

We've also recently imported a lot of franchises from a lot of different countries across the world. There's few places, aside from New York, where you can get that kind of variety.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's the deal with Uber and Pearson with regard to pickups / drop offs? Any experiences?

They can drop you off no problem. Pickups cost an extra 15 dollars. You should just get to know a local Uber drive, and just call them to pick you up at no extra charge. They won't mind as long as you pay them cash. That's what I did.

Willectro

Banned
They can drop you off no problem. Pickups cost an extra 15 dollars. You should just get to know a local Uber drive, and just call them to pick you up at no extra charge. They won't mind as long as you pay them cash. That's what I did.

Thanks. Good call on the cash deal.

It's sad that Uber is still super competitive even with the $15 pick up charge. And the convenience of not having to book shit in advance is nice too.

dluu13

What's the deal with Uber and Pearson with regard to pickups / drop offs? Any experiences?
The uber site says there is a $15 surcharge as a rule from airport authority:
https://www.uber.com/cities/toronto

I only took the taxi when I visited before moving here.
The first time I was here to visit, the taxi driver told me that the airport had some kind of deal with the taxi company to supposedly only allow that company for pickup. Other than that I'm not sure because the rules may have changed.
To get to certain parts of the city by taxi often has fixed rates so even if traffic is bad, you should not be charged extra for time. The reception of the hotel told me it's not the same going from city to airport, so at rush hour, it would be better to hire an airport limo rather than a taxi because those charge the flat rate regardless.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, Toronto's food scene absolutely exploded in the last five years or so. Prior to that, I think Vancouver was arguably better.

We've also recently imported a lot of franchises from a lot of different countries across the world. There's few places, aside from New York, where you can get that kind of variety.
Oh, yeah. Tons of places opening up and a lot of variety too. Toronto is getting expensive...

Tabris

When I said relatable, it's like if I talk to you, you would only talk about things that you have. Again, it goes with how you present yourself here on GAF, always flaunting.

And when I made the comment about being douchey, I said you SOUND douchey and it was towards the bar comment, not flying around monthly to see friends.

OK, so what does any of that have to do with others answering my questions or me being able to ask questions in this thread. If you think I'm a douche, then don't post at me. I didn't direct a single thing to you in my questions. All I asked was questions about Toronto and gave people my situation so they understood the scenario to answer best.

I'm not here to get to know you, so maybe that's where your confusion is at? I'm here to get to know more about Toronto. If you don't want to answer, then don't, I don't mind :)

dluu13

Why not just take that new UP thing?

I heard it's nice cause it's empty and quiet. Definitely cheaper than taking a taxi. It stops at Union station which is convenient, but if you have lots of luggage and still need to transit farther it may be easier just to take the taxi.

Quick

Banned
For people east of the city, it's probably a huge hassle to take the UP Express.

You shouldn't have any issues calling for an Uber from Pearson, but you do have to pay a $15 surcharge because it's a requirement by the Airport Authority (it's on Uber's website's fine print), so your Uber fare might be pricey in the end.

Tabris

I can actually answer this from a traveller experience. You can take Uber for drop-off but can't get Uber for pick-up (or at least a year ago). But the taxis from Pearson have a set rate to going to downtown Toronto so you don't have to worry about being overcharged due to traffic or them going a weird route like I've experienced in some other cities.

EDIT - Never mind sounds like you can get one but gotta pay $15 surcharge. Better to just take a taxi from the airport to Toronto.

mr.rager

I heard it's nice cause it's empty and quiet.

I was about to say that lol. I always see the UP train whenever I take the GO to Union. Most of the time I'll see like 5 people on the train max. Even when the pan-am games were going on it didn't look full at all.

Willectro

Banned
The uber site says there is a $15 surcharge as a rule from airport authority:
https://www.uber.com/cities/toronto

I only took the taxi when I visited before moving here.
The first time I was here to visit, the taxi driver told me that the airport had some kind of deal with the taxi company to supposedly only allow that company for pickup. Other than that I'm not sure because the rules may have changed.
To get to certain parts of the city by taxi often has fixed rates so even if traffic is bad, you should not be charged extra for time. The reception of the hotel told me it's not the same going from city to airport, so at rush hour, it would be better to hire an airport limo rather than a taxi because those charge the flat rate regardless.

Interesting. Glad Uber is shaking stuff like this up.

For people east of the city, it's probably a huge hassle to take the UP Express.

You shouldn't have any issues calling for an Uber from Pearson, but you do have to pay a $15 surcharge because it's a requirement by the Airport Authority (it's on Uber's website's fine print), so your Uber fare might be pricey in the end.

I just don't want a twig or a snowflake to get on the tracks and delay the whole line for 6 hours. My faith in transit is long gone.

I can actually answer this from a traveller experience. You can take Uber for drop-off but can't get Uber for pick-up (or at least a year ago). But the taxis from Pearson have a set rate to going to downtown Toronto so you don't have to worry about being overcharged due to traffic or them going a weird route like I've experienced in some other cities.

EDIT - Never mind sounds like you can get one but gotta pay $15 surcharge. Better to just take a taxi from the airport to Toronto.

Ah yea forgot about the set taxi rate. Have to look into that.

I don't care what they say about you, Tabris. Glad you'll be in Toronto for a while.

Also, regarding rent, at your price point you may want to consider speaking with a real estate agent. Might save you some time if you're busy.

cbox

Winter in this city is fun, if you like shinny that is. I skate daily at a rink just by work and it's bloody great. Plenty of shinny pick up games at night too, plus local skating at many on weekends.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You guys gave Tabris too hard of a time. The only really stupid question was the nightlife thing. I mean come on, you're asking about the nightlife of one of the largest cities in North America and the largest in Canada? Really?

Fuzzy

wvVcZkD.png

RIP
You guys remember this? He got his job back. :lol

Fuzzy

Wasn't that dude also on the sunshine list?
So? He shouldn't have been fired in the first place for something (that's not a crime) he did while not on the job and not identifying himself as a Hydro employee while doing it. What he did was classless and stupid but I'm glad he got his job back.

ahdurian

Yup.

Reading between the lines look like he got the job back more because he actually made real efforts to rehabilitate and show remorse. I think if he stayed defiant this might not have happened.

i dunno man...i feel like he could be one of those people who would act obedient just to get his job back
like he could've just asked his colleagues to round up women to write letters for him, and then act as a good samaritan fora while until it looked like he was in everyone's favor

but what do i know,

Kraftwerk

Built myself a gaming PC...and Jesus fuck im on steam right now and Christ at some of these prices. Seriously, fuck this dollar.

People buy games outside of Steam sales?

Yeah I don't think I know a single person that buys Steam games without SOME sort of discount anymore.

I bought Killing Floor 2 on EA full price though, but I knew what I was getting into with that.

The cheapest I can find Fallout 4 on PC is $60 CAD on GMG. Dollar pls

Sober

GTAV is on sale right now...i wanted to buy it, but its 50 bucks after the sale price...fuck this.
Just wait for a steam sale. You maybe (?) just missed the Halloween one. There should be a Black Friday weekend sale usually before the big Christmas one too.

I have a bunch of unused keys from humble bundle if you're looking for something; maybe I got something worthwhile.

Hopefully you didn't take 3 days to built a PC like some doofus who even streamed it.

Kraftwerk

Just wait for a steam sale. You maybe (?) just missed the Halloween one. There should be a Black Friday weekend sale usually before the big Christmas one too.

I have a bunch of unused keys from humble bundle if you're looking for something; maybe I got something worthwhile.

Hopefully you didn't take 3 days to built a PC like some doofus who even streamed it.

heh.

as for games, im mainly looking for H1Z1, Arma II, GTAV, counter strike and shit like that.

I guess ill wait for the next big sale.

GTAV is on sale right now...i wanted to buy it, but its 50 bucks after the sale price...fuck this.

I actually got GTA V on PC for $30 from Nuuvem when it came out. You can't get games off Nuuvem anymore though, even with a VPN. They check the country of origin from Paypal now. Your best bet now a days are Steam sales plus other sites like GMG or Humble Bundle/

Sober

heh.

as for games, im mainly looking for H1Z1, Arma II, GTAV, counter strike and shit like that.

I guess ill wait for the next big sale.
If you can wait sure. Unless you have friends who are already playing then you're probably gonna have to ante up.

CS:GO and ArmA2 is the only game that will go on sale. And most of those games sell really well regardless when they aren't. I basically bought GTA5 full price last month because that game is almost like a Nintendo title for a good couple of years. And especially even more since Rockstar is putting all their money into GTA Online, don't expect really big discounts for it (the 33% off last week was the biggest, all things considered).

Counter Strike goes for $5 regularly.
Not since Valve stopped doing it so cheaters could buy copies easily or what have you. 50% off for CS:GO is the best you'll ever do now.

I actually got GTA V on PC for $30 from Nuuvem when it came out. You can't get games off Nuuvem anymore though, even with a VPN. They check the country of origin from Paypal now. Your best bet now a days are Steam sales plus other sites like GMG or Humble Bundle/
Sucks nuuvem is getting more strict.

Otherwise you really only have a few options to buy from: Steam, BundleStars since they now accept CAD, Origin (but you pay taxes on them), and that's about it with maybe a few others. Humble's bundles themselves are good for value, but not their store prices. Everyone else takes US dollars or something else so unless the deal is super super sweet, it's usually not worth taking the exchange rate and any foreign fees on your card.

Blackhead

Redarse
Long shot question but does anyone have or use an American Express card? What is the experience like?

On a similar note: what banks/credit union are y'all using? Not sure where to find good reviews on this topic. I'm considering getting a bank account based on mobile OS support. I think Scotiabank has the best iPhone app (touchID, applewatch, etc)? Is that worth an account just for daily stuff (not savings or investments)?

Top Bottom