• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

cocopuffs

Banned
Anyone else have issues with UPS, Fedex, Purolator? Every damn time I get something shipped, its an absolute fucking nightmare to actually get the package in my hand. Every time there is a different process or location or reason they couldn't deliver the package. I'm starting to think if you are in a condo or apartment, the drivers just can't be bothered. The shame is that the rest of the delivery chain works effectively, it's just that last mile that is always the prick.

People are always quick to slam Canada Post, but at least they have retail locations all over and have reasonable transparent practices.

So sick of this fucking shit.
My UPS guy is perfect. Comes around 6ish but I live in an apartment and he always makes the effort to actually do his job and deliver it to my door rather than just leave a pick-up notice in the mail like Canada Post does every single time.

dluu13

How is Toronto for New Year's Eve? Looking for somewhere to go on holiday, Toronto is an option. Sell it to me. Or not.

I missed last year's new years eve because I went home to Vancouver and I'll do it again this year. I should probably stay once but my friends told me there were just some fireworks. Maybe other people have more information.

Willectro

Banned
My UPS guy is perfect. Comes around 6ish but I live in an apartment and he always makes the effort to actually do his job and deliver it to my door rather than just leave a pick-up notice in the mail like Canada Post does every single time.

Interesting. I guess you can't have everything. Ah well.

Azih

I for one propose that that entire neighbourhood be renamed Mammolitree in honour of our greatest city councillor.

Willectro

Banned
Well that was a fun fucking commute. What is wrong with the TTC? They are well overdue to change up the management.

What really grinds my gears is there were very few delays or issues during the Pan Am games, but not too long after were back to the same shit. So it is possible to run well, but I guess taxpayers aren't a priority compared to precious athletes.

Lm42ufS.png

Magnus

I got a free new copy of Halo 5 with the TV I just bought from Best Buy. Anyone downtown want it for $70? (Save $5 and tax) Could meet anywhere from Bathurst to Parliament downtown basically, after work.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else have issues with UPS, Fedex, Purolator? Every damn time I get something shipped, its an absolute fucking nightmare to actually get the package in my hand. Every time there is a different process or location or reason they couldn't deliver the package. I'm starting to think if you are in a condo or apartment, the drivers just can't be bothered. The shame is that the rest of the delivery chain works effectively, it's just that last mile that is always the prick.

People are always quick to slam Canada Post, but at least they have retail locations all over and have reasonable transparent practices.

So sick of this fucking shit.

I can't speak for Purolator or Fedex but UPS has always been pretty good for me. They usually arrive just after 6 and use the buzzer. The only thing that annoys me with UPS is if I'm not home, the pick up locations are all over the place and never in the same location.

I have a package coming by Fedex soon so I'll see what they are like.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was a fun fucking commute. What is wrong with the TTC? They are well overdue to change up the management.

What really grinds my gears is there were very few delays or issues during the Pan Am games, but not too long after were back to the same shit. So it is possible to run well, but I guess taxpayers aren't a priority compared to precious athletes.
Heh. Signal delays out of Vic Park. I just leave early now cause I'm not sure it's management's fault; the TTC as a whole sucks.

mr.rager

holy shit Team Warm in full force this week.

I'm seeing Weeknd at ACC tonight then having patio beers. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts... wouldn't be surprised if it snowed next week or something -_-

Bruh I was there. Show was greatttttt. And Travis Scott killed it. Fucking love Travis.

We were seated in section 312 but then got in to section 109 lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Last year November under Harper we had a snowstorm and -10C. Now with Trudeau it is 20C and sunny. Already doing God's work, bless his heart.
I'm in a now prove it to me mode for Trudeau. He made a lot of promises and I hope he keeps them and we didn't just vote him in to oust Harper.

Super glad for this weather though.

stn

- I want a view.
Be prepared to pony up that cash.

- I love good food and am a foodie (I know Toronto is good here as I've been to like 5-6 restaurants in Toronto but what areas are best?)
Check out BlogTO for the best restaurants serving each type of food.

- I like everything being in walking distance or quick transit ride away if something different. Esp shopping, I like shopping once a week for clothes, electronics, etc.
Eaton's Centre downtown. But its the most pricey and crowded. Still.

- I like outdoor activities. Especially walking around the beach, snowboarding, and wake boarding.
Blue Mountain for Winter stuff, Wasaga Beach for Summer.

- I hate the heat (are condos A/C'd in Toronto?) EDIT - Correction, I love dry heat, I have no issue with places like Phoenix but can't stand muggy heat.
Its only bad during the Summer. Gets very humid and nasty.

- How are the people?
Toronto people are okay overall. But I've definitely met nicer in other areas I've lived in.

- What's the culture like?
North American? Its crowded and hectic. Sometimes relaxed but mostly hectic.

- What's cost of living compared to Vancouver? Rent seems a lot less but I may be looking at wrong areas.
Haven't lived in Van, no idea.

Clubbing and posh places?
IMO, clubbing here is overrated. People aren't relaxed here enough. Guys look for fights, girls are defensive. I took the same social skills I have to England and met girls at clubs all the time. Also, Guvernment closed down. And all the clubs constantly "re-invent" themselves because they become boring and stale.

Posh places? Also overrated. As a lawyer I get dragged to them often. Can't stand it. Posh here really means over-priced and watered-down alcohol. Oh, and lots of places that like to portray themselves as fancy--Brassai, for example--but are really the same as any other club.

If you truly want fancy then go to the lobby bar of any high-priced hotel (ex. Hyatt).

I have a competent PC and all the current consoles, and the above statement is 100% correct. I won't be buying all the consoles again unless there is a serious shift in the console market. By far, my best gaming experiences in the last 10 years have been on PC.

I'll probably still end up buying Nintendo's shit because the nostalgia is strong. Nothing against PS4, but Xbone pisses me off for one reason or another every time I boot it up.

Smh, I could have bought an Nvidia Titan instead of consoles...

I've always been fascinated by PC gaming but as I age I don't like having to spend time tinkering with settings and such. Being able to use an Xbox controller seamlessly is a game changer though.

Has PC moved to a more plug and play experience?

I did a quick Google search before posting this, but I don't see my current Xbox favorites like a rare replay, gears collection, halo 5, forza 6, sunset overdrive, on PC. $350 for an Xbox one that will last me for 5 years ain't a bad deal :) and E3 deals + trade ins later is pretty good too.

What am I missing here? I would assume the PC versions of multi platform games are far superior on PC, especially in graphics.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've always been fascinated by PC gaming but as I age I don't like having to spend time tinkering with settings and such. Being able to use an Xbox controller seamlessly is a game changer though.

Has PC moved to a more plug and play experience?

I did a quick Google search before posting this, but I don't see my current Xbox favorites like a rare replay, gears collection, halo 5, forza 6, sunset overdrive, on PC. $350 for an Xbox one that will last me for 5 years ain't a bad deal :) and E3 deals + trade ins later is pretty good too.

What am I missing here? I would assume the PC versions of multi platform games are far superior on PC, especially in graphics.
PC is totally plug and play. You get an XBone controller and most games will support it. The ones that don't require a mouse anyways.

PC gaming is vastly different from years ago. Patches are automatic if you're on steam and the only fiddling you might do is if you're into mods. Most every game you can play on console that is also on PC will work as if you're on a console unless the game's name has a combination of Arkham and Knight...
My face is disfigured. Will you guys make fun of me?
Depends. Do you prefer the cold or the warmth?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to believe the meet up is just two days away. I hope you all brought your A game cause Kuro "always second place" Madoushi gonna second place all of you abominable snow people.

What's up with the TTC tonight? The 25 bus going south was slow as fuck and there was a huge lineup on Don Mills station on nearly all the bus terminals. I saw this one bus driver get into a shouting match with some queued up passenger on the 85 terminal.

EDIT: Not too late but still pretty weird there's been huge lineups all week.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with the TTC tonight? The 25 bus going south was slow as fuck and there was a huge lineup on Don Mills station on nearly all the bus terminals. I saw one bus rider get into a shouting match with some passenger on the 85 terminal. I'm going to be pretty late for my night class now.
Huh. That happened the other night too. It was pretty weird walking out there and seeing a bunch of people snake past the door. When I arrived though their bus came pretty quickly after that.

What's up with the TTC tonight? The 25 bus going south was slow as fuck and there was a huge lineup on Don Mills station on nearly all the bus terminals. I saw this one bus driver get into a shouting match with some queued up passenger on the 85 terminal.

It feels like the TTC is just getting slower each day. It's that or rush hour is finally starting to take a mental toll on me, and I'm starting to notice how bad it actually can get randomly throughout the day. I know the trains run slow at Davisville because I guess the tracks are still fucked and fixing it would mean closing that portion of track for like a month. But for the past week I've had the trains run a lot slower than usual between Bloor and Dundas. There was also a power outage between that stretch on Wednesday I think at 10AM or so.

mr.rager

Hey Toronto-GAF! I'm gonna be in Japan for the next couple of months and I know more than a few of you guys have been there before (Kuro and EM). Any suggestions on places I should visit or places to eat at?

I'm gonna buy some shit at Akiba to give away for the next meet-up cause I love you guys that much.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Toronto-GAF! I'm gonna be in Japan for the next couple of months and I know more than a few of you guys have been there before (Kuro and EM). Any suggestions on places I should visit or places to eat at?

I'm gonna buy some shit at Akiba to give away for the next meet-up cause I love you guys that much.
Honestly, I never had a bad meal there in my two trips and 3 weeks spent. You will not be disappointed.

If you want an experience for sushi try one of these places:
Sushi Kanesaka, Sushi Saito, Sushi Mizutani, Jiro Sukiyabashi, Sushi Yoshitake, Sushi Sho, Sushi Sho Masa, or if you want to a relatively problem-free experience, try Sushi Bar Yasuda - he speaks English fluently and he takes email reservations so it's easy to set up. I want to try Yasuda next time I'm there...last time I went though, I went to Kanpachi, which was pretty awesome too.
Second place?

It's nice to want things Kuro.
You shut your drunken cold icicle sucking mouth!
I'm going to wear my snowflake nail polish just for you.
You dirty winter loving son of a...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

We ate on the cheap the entire trip, basically just popping into any small establishment we could find, so I'll leave the food recommendations to Kuro.

If you're looking for games, figures, etc, in Akihabara is great because of the number of shops in the small area, but I'd say it's also worth checking out Ikebukuro (A massive Bic and Yamada Denki, a Super Potato, numerous arcades, manga stores, Bookoffs in the area, Pokemon Centre) and Nakano (good to tie in with a trip to Ghibli). They both have many shops as well and prices can be (but not always) way lower than Akihabara.

Other parts of the city I enjoyed; Asakusa / Senso-ji Temple, Harajuku and Shibuya for general shopping. You could probably tie Ameyoko into your trip to Akihabara, I think it's worth passing through, or have a larger trip around Ueno, the zoo, etc, if you're interested. Ghibli Museum is worth checking out (book before you go), as it's relatively cheap and very accessible. The neigbhourhood around it is rather quiet, but there are shops and eateries.

The round trip (train there, then bus->boat->tram back to the beginning) to Hakone was definitely worth it. It gave us some of the best photos during our trip and offered great views of Fuji. We just made a day trip of it though, so I can't say if it's worth staying at any of the ryokan in the area. If you're planning on day tripping it though, get there early. Once the sunsets, the views around the mountain on the trip home aren't quite as exciting. :p

Top Bottom